• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volgihn

Oct 25, 2017
There is currently a sale going on at Amazon. I picked up Photosynthesis for $20 thanks for $5 I had on my account

Edit: ^beaten by seconds

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't aware of CMONs Kickstarter mini heavy model because I've only been back into board gaming recently. (I lived in the pre Kickstarter board game age of paying full RRP for most board games at local FLGS.)

Anyway I really dig Bloodborne, but the actual game doesn't look that interesting from the few photos I've seen of it, and if it's going to be $200-300 for the base and expansions, I'm out. Looking forward to see what else they'll announce though.

Also didn't buy anything from the Amazon sale, but looked like a good sale, really want The Rise of Queensdale but I'm going to wait for $30 on that.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
The gap till the next stretch goal is $150,000. It's going to take another full day of pledges at the same rate as today in order to get there. Kind of diappointing, but realistically it's all theatrics, so it doesn't matter. Still I'm eager to see what they're hiding from us...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
The big current Kickstarter that I'm interested in is Kingdom Rush. I've got little familiarity with the mobile game but I feel like Tower Defense could really work well as a concept for a board game. I'm not sure of the name but I saw a game at a local store that had artwork similar to this and billed itself as a tower defense game. That got me really interested but then when I got home and looked it up on BGG I learned that it had a ton of KS exclusives and extras that were not easy to get a hold of anymore. Kingdom Rush looks like it has a good amount of stuff, they listened to concerns from fans in regards to things like difficulty and added a new mode that'll be harder, and the price doesn't seem crazy for the all-in "Deluxe" package full of bling and stuff (less than $150). It looks like something my old game group would have liked.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
As I said, I just got back into board gaming, and seeing all these kickstarters I just missed is a bit disappointing. Another one I found yesterday was Suburbia Collector's Edition. $99 including all the existing expansions plus a new expansion. +$30 shipping. Bit expensive but I probably would have jumped on it. It's now $129 on Beziers website so I'm just going to wait and see if Amazon gets it.

I found it because Quadropolis was on sale on Amazon yesterday so I went to see which was better which led me to Suburbia. It looks like a really fun Simcity board game. Tiny Towns is about to come out but that looks a bit lite on while Suburbia looks easy to play but still a bit of depth on tile placement. Now I need to decide if I should get the regular Suburbia on sale or spend $120+ on the Collector's edition.

It's impulse when you've almost pulled the trigger multiple times on a $150 board game and it's now $60 off.

If you can get it on the table frequently (ie 3-4 players for 6hrs+ each time) it's totally worth the money in terms of components and fun gameplay.

I have the 3rd edition and we didn't play it enough but each time we did it was wonderful.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Aaand backed BB Board game. My second CMON kickstarter that will eat my money, haha.
Question - is it fine to wait until the campaign is over and then at the end add all the optional stuff you want?

For the Munchkin game I always added the funding amount as soon as they added stuff, but I guess this is not needed?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, I just got back into board gaming, and seeing all these kickstarters I just missed is a bit disappointing. Another one I found yesterday was Suburbia Collector's Edition. $99 including all the existing expansions plus a new expansion. +$30 shipping. Bit expensive but I probably would have jumped on it. It's now $129 on Beziers website so I'm just going to wait and see if Amazon gets it.

I found it because Quadropolis was on sale on Amazon yesterday so I went to see which was better which led me to Suburbia. It looks like a really fun Simcity board game. Tiny Towns is about to come out but that looks a bit lite on while Suburbia looks easy to play but still a bit of depth on tile placement. Now I need to decide if I should get the regular Suburbia on sale or spend $120+ on the Collector's edition.

Suburbia is really fun, but I'm more than content with the standard version. I didn't see a reason to pay that much for a deluxe version of the game when the kickstarter came out as I already had the original, and while I don't know about the new expansion, only one of the expansions to the original game (Suburbia inc.) seemed worthwhile. I guess if the difference in price isn't that big, go for the collectors version, but you'd be fine with the OG version if you're not a competionist.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Aaand backed BB Board game. My second CMON kickstarter that will eat my money, haha.
Question - is it fine to wait until the campaign is over and then at the end add all the optional stuff you want?

For the Munchkin game I always added the funding amount as soon as they added stuff, but I guess this is not needed?

Yeah, most Kickstarters let you do this. That money isn't counted towards stretch goals usually, but CMON are the kind of company that plan out stretch goals ahead of time anyways.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like opening the box for the game you spent almost $400 on to immediately see this:
MFBSqVe.jpg

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Suburbia is really fun, but I'm more than content with the standard version. I didn't see a reason to pay that much for a deluxe version of the game when the kickstarter came out as I already had the original, and while I don't know about the new expansion, only one of the expansions to the original game (Suburbia inc.) seemed worthwhile. I guess if the difference in price isn't that big, go for the collectors version, but you'd be fine with the OG version if you're not a competionist.

I really like the new art! But I don't know if I $60 extra like it.

I've seen a few comments on BGG say suburbia inc is worth getting, and 5 star isn't as much.

In other news I got Lisboa Deluxe today. So now I have that, Kanban and The Gallerist. I do want Vinhos and CO2 to kind of round off the vital games. Escape plan is probably going to be a bit too expensive for a while ($140 MSRP).

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
I backed the Terraforming Mars: Turmoil Kickstarter in large part because of those beautiful indented player mats that come as a KS bonus. The worst thing about TM is how fragile the cubes are on your mat.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I found it because Quadropolis was on sale on Amazon yesterday so I went to see which was better which led me to Suburbia. It looks like a really fun Simcity board game. Tiny Towns is about to come out but that looks a bit lite on while Suburbia looks easy to play but still a bit of depth on tile placement. Now I need to decide if I should get the regular Suburbia on sale or spend $120+ on the Collector's edition

You can get an app and try it and see if you like it. It's essentially is tile laying / drafting game where you try to get most beneficial layout. It's good and I like it enough to get it back to the table but sadly no one in family or game group care for it. The problem with the game for some is that you have to constantly check all the status of not just your board but other players and there a lot of stuffs to track and calculated, however the game is pretty much a multiplayer solitaire affair. In all honesty it's probably play better as a video game (the app is great)

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered two games for my collection.

El Grande - I was sold on this after trying it out on yucata.de - it has some nice depth despite being teachable in about 5 min. I can see why it has stood the test of time. Absolutely brilliant design.

Mysterium - I needed a coop game for higher player count (not many good ones available, it seems). This accommodates 7.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Currently in the mood to play a lof of board games and especially newer ones, but no time or people available :(
Makes me think I need to look for solo-able games. Not sure how fun that can be. Zombicide or some Tiny Epic games do not sound fun solo to me, but honestly never tried them.

Played a few rounds of Port Royal with my GF over the weekend and we really like it, maybe we will get the expansions as well because they sound fun. But my GF always tells me to play the games we have until they are boring and THEN buy expansions. Which sounds reasonable but I like new stuff ;)

Also 3d-printed out some inlays for some of my game boxes so that cards are nice and tidy inside the box and don't fly around in there. There are already a lot of templates and stuff on thingieverse but I made my own inlays for Munchkin and Smash Up - but now to print like 40 inlays... phew.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
You can get an app and try it and see if you like it. It's essentially is tile laying / drafting game where you try to get most beneficial layout. It's good and I like it enough to get it back to the table but sadly no one in family or game group care for it. The problem with the game for some is that you have to constantly check all the status of not just your board but other players and there a lot of stuffs to track and calculated, however the game is pretty much a multiplayer solitaire affair. In all honesty it's probably play better as a video game (the app is great)

I'll give the app a shot thanks!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So kind of a general question about Aeon's End, which one should I start with? I've heard Legacy was a good starting point compared to the regular ones, and people recommend different base sets to start with that way too. Kind of confusing.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I've been known to buy games thinking it would buy me time/people to play them with. Beware compulsive buying!
Yep I have to remember that - but I am always attracted to new boxes ;)
We have not even played our base Dominion set as much to even try out new setups/variations - I guess that's a big argument for playing more and buying less.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in the mood to play a lof of board games and especially newer ones, but no time or people available :(

I can relate. I've had to cancel preorders of games and/or sell some. It's probably a good thing I didn't go all-in on Batman: Gotham City Chronicles because I don't even know when I would be able to play it with others.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So kind of a general question about Aeon's End, which one should I start with? I've heard Legacy was a good starting point compared to the regular ones, and people recommend different base sets to start with that way too. Kind of confusing.
If you are interested in campaign/legacy games, AE Legacy is a very good starting point (if you can get a reliable regular group going). You start out as mage trainees (weaker than the base mages in othee AE games) and level up your mages as you go through the campaign. I quite enjoy the sense of progression (3 scenarios in) and the legacy aspects. Since the game slowly introduces gameplay mechanics, I think it's a good starting point for beginnings. Bear in mind, it is relatively short campaign (7-12 sessions maybe, depending on how well you do), BUT unlike other legacy games, 80% of the game content is replayable after the campaign (instead of being 100% disposable afterwards); and you can even mix and match player cards/bosses/nemesis decks/mages with other AE games (after the campaign).

Base AE is the simplest but still a good challenge, so also a good entry point if you don't want a campaign.

War Eternal is more complex/harder, which is a fine jumping point if you are used to heavier games.

The small expansions are good additions, but the lowest priority. I recommend them in this order. Nameless > Outer Dark = Void > Depths > Buried Secrets (the first 3 add 2 bosses each, the next 1 boss, and the last one only adds lots of player cards and some nemesis cards so really the last priority). For me, the best value for the game is in getting extra bosses.

New Age (due out later this year) is a non-legacy game that introduces campaign elements to AE. You can then mix and match all bosses and mages in a campaign mode. This probably gets better the more AE content you have. Bear in mind this introduces a story campaign that takes place after the Legacy game (so spoilers I guess?), but after the first campaign you can indefinitely play non-story campaign with your old stuff. It is also resettable, there is nothing legacy about this game.

Personally, for me the more AE the better. I own everything about it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
And with that I cancelled my pledges for Bloodborne and Kingdom Rush. I will be getting enough kickstarter games in the next few months that I will probably never play anyway :-/
Saves me money! :)

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played some Monster Slaughter and Solenia this weekend, really fun games. Though Solenia can shave people suffering from AP.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geekway to the West is sneaking up on me here. Excited to go. Hope they have some fun stuff in the play to win.

Have a few people coming with me from Chicago and and a few meeting us from Omaha as well.

Speaking of Chicago, I really need to find a gaming group in the SW or West suburbs.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
And with that I cancelled my pledges for Bloodborne and Kingdom Rush. I will be getting enough kickstarter games in the next few months that I will probably never play anyway :-/
Saves me money! :)
I backed Kingdom Rush recently, but I'm really thinking about canceling. Is there anything specific that made you cancel, or just too many things going?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I backed Kingdom Rush recently, but I'm really thinking about canceling. Is there anything specific that made you cancel, or just too many things going?
I think the game seems totally fine, it was a more personal choice of realizing "I have enough stuff currently".

Edit: I never knew Paul Peterson worked at Wizards and with Andrew Garfield, very cool. I guess that's why somehow Smash Up feels like Magic sometimes (good and bad).
This video is a really cool interview with him.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finally played Root. It took awhile for it to click. We watched a play through video then did the example walk through, after a few turns we finally started to get it. Played immediately again while it was fresh and That went much smoother . Overall really enjoyed it

Oct 28, 2017
Finally played Root. It took awhile for it to click. We watched a play through video then did the example walk through, after a few turns we finally started to get it. Played immediately again while it was fresh and That went much smoother . Overall really enjoyed it
My favorite game of last year.

As an aside, I printed out the latest expansion as well and tested those factions a couple of times. They both seem really strong and I can't wait for them to be released.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you are interested in campaign/legacy games, AE Legacy is a very good starting point (if you can get a reliable regular group going). You start out as mage trainees (weaker than the base mages in othee AE games) and level up your mages as you go through the campaign. I quite enjoy the sense of progression (3 scenarios in) and the legacy aspects. Since the game slowly introduces gameplay mechanics, I think it's a good starting point for beginnings. Bear in mind, it is relatively short campaign (7-12 sessions maybe, depending on how well you do), BUT unlike other legacy games, 80% of the game content is replayable after the campaign (instead of being 100% disposable afterwards); and you can even mix and match player cards/bosses/nemesis decks/mages with other AE games (after the campaign).

Base AE is the simplest but still a good challenge, so also a good entry point if you don't want a campaign.

War Eternal is more complex/harder, which is a fine jumping point if you are used to heavier games.

The small expansions are good additions, but the lowest priority. I recommend them in this order. Nameless > Outer Dark = Void > Depths > Buried Secrets (the first 3 add 2 bosses each, the next 1 boss, and the last one only adds lots of player cards and some nemesis cards so really the last priority). For me, the best value for the game is in getting extra bosses.

New Age (due out later this year) is a non-legacy game that introduces campaign elements to AE. You can then mix and match all bosses and mages in a campaign mode. This probably gets better the more AE content you have. Bear in mind this introduces a story campaign that takes place after the Legacy game (so spoilers I guess?), but after the first campaign you can indefinitely play non-story campaign with your old stuff. It is also resettable, there is nothing legacy about this game.

Personally, for me the more AE the better. I own everything about it.

Gotcha, thanks for the detailed response! It seems like a general consensus that you can start with either Legacy or AE vanilla..just depends what kind of game you're looking to play. I suppose I'd like the narrative structure that Legacy has instead of the structured expansion-type schedule the core game has followed. Does the vanilla AE have any narrative structure?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Jesus, FOMO got the best of me, and I preordered BUS 20th anniversary. For those who have played BUS, what am I getting into?

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, thanks!

And both are playable solo right?
Yes. Either two-handed or true solo, though bear in mind true solo plays differently than other player counts and is harder.

Also, Legacy solo means you only customize one mage through the campaign. Though you can easily create 3 extra custom mages (or 7, really; 2-sided boards) for regular play afterwards.

Jesus, FOMO got the best of me, and I preordered BUS 20th anniversary. For those who have played BUS, what am I getting into?
FOMO is tempting me real hard right now for CO2 2nd Chance, which supposedly will not get a 2nd (chance?) retail printing. I've resisted so far. I'll learn the rules and try it out on Tabletopia before deciding to buy instead of just FOMO/impulse buying

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah FOMO got me, I wanted to get Dead of Winter and War of the Ring the last few days but decided to wait for an extra Cashback offer that I thought was coming but hasn't. Now both are out of stock and possibly might not be as low in price as before. Dead of Winter was 50% off. And War of the Ring was a really good price on Amazon. I also bought way too many games in March/April so it's probably for the best.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I watched a play of Android netrunner and now I really want to build a collection for two people to deeply delve into the game.

Is that feasible at this point?

What would I need to track down?

I could use some advice and am willing to pay for someone's time to really help me break down what I should be seeking out.

Hit me up!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Man, Pandemic is so good, why haven't I bought this earlier. It can be really quick and easy and also really on the edge with a lot of planning. We will play this until we are bored and then get an expansion - which one is recommended? It should make the game a lot more complex or complicated.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Pandemic is so good, why haven't I bought this earlier. It can be really quick and easy and also really on the edge with a lot of planning. We will play this until we are bored and then get an expansion - which one is recommended? It should make the game a lot more complex or complicated.

It's not an expansion as such, but if you're in a position of being able to run regular gaming sessions, Pandemic Legacy is supposed to be an incredible experience.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

Pandemic is brilliant, its such an incredible design because games are always tight. I didn't go for any of the expansions, but rather picked up Pandemic Legacy Season 1. That way, I won't have played Pandemic too many times before playing Legacy. I might go for the expansions later. Oh yeah, I'm currently deciding if I should wait till my kids are old enough to play with me. They're 5 and 3 at the moment.

But if you're after the expansions, On the brink makes it harder (legendary difficulty) as it adds another disease and 5th player option. In the lab adds another step to the game where you have to produce the cure, and give you more stuff to think about. If I'm not mistaken, Rising Tide, Iberia and Fall of Rome are standalones which follow the Pandemic formula, but adds a new theme and new rules. There's also The Cure and the expansion Experimental meds which are Pandemic dice games.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, On The Brink or the standalone Pandemic spinoffs add more interesting gameplay than Legacy, but I haven't played Legacy 2.