• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
MegaMetroCity is coming back to kickstarter May 15th, for anyone interested.
I'm interested! Thanks for the update. Was a bit sad when they cancelled last year. Game looks great. Streets of Steel was a similar concept that was running about the same time and ended up successfully funding. I think MMC takes the idea of a scrolling beat em up further though. Hopefully they find success this time.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's not an expansion as such, but if you're in a position of being able to run regular gaming sessions, Pandemic Legacy is supposed to be an incredible experience.
Pandemic is brilliant, its such an incredible design because games are always tight. I didn't go for any of the expansions, but rather picked up Pandemic Legacy Season 1. That way, I won't have played Pandemic too many times before playing Legacy. I might go for the expansions later. Oh yeah, I'm currently deciding if I should wait till my kids are old enough to play with me. They're 5 and 3 at the moment.

But if you're after the expansions, On the brink makes it harder (legendary difficulty) as it adds another disease and 5th player option. In the lab adds another step to the game where you have to produce the cure, and give you more stuff to think about. If I'm not mistaken, Rising Tide, Iberia and Fall of Rome are standalones which follow the Pandemic formula, but adds a new theme and new rules. There's also The Cure and the expansion Experimental meds which are Pandemic dice games.
Yes I looked into Legacy very often thinking making it my first Pandemic game but I hold back since somehow the idea of just being able to play it once is a bit... weird. I know there are ways to preserve everything but still. I think we just play until we master every difficulty with 2 players and maybe got some people to join us.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Legacy games provide a somewhat unique experience. I enjoyed Pandemic Legacy S1 quite a bit, and don't feel it's a waste, even though we were only able to get 15 or so games out of it. I have numerous games on my shelf that I've only played once or twice that I paid more money for. So, the cost per play was very low, and the engagement of the story kept us coming back to see what would happen next. Not many other games (outside of campaign-based stuff) will give you that.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah I am still curious, it sounds really cool for sure.
Also that Cthulhu themed Pandemic game is one that I want down the line. (Now that I infected my SO with a tiny bit of Lovecraft)

Last edited:

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Pandemic Cthulhu is easier than standard, but it's really fun. I personally play Iberia when I want a challenge.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Careful with Legacy games. They are either a smash success or fall completely flat. Our group loves Pandemic, and Legacy was a huge huge fail. We stopped playing in the April month.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I have Mansions of Madness just sitting, waiting to be test played solo for hours and then rejected by my family.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I looked into Legacy very often thinking making it my first Pandemic game but I hold back since somehow the idea of just being able to play it once is a bit... weird. I know there are ways to preserve everything but still. I think we just play until we master every difficulty with 2 players and maybe got some people to join us.

Yes that's what I'll be doing, beating the base on the hardest and then playing legacy after.

With Legacy games for me, I'm ok to buy them at a price I think that's worthwhile for me. I got Pandemic Legacy for a really good deal so if I can only play it once, I'll hopefully get my moneys worth. The next Legacy game I have my eye on is The Rise of Queensland. Once it hits $30 it's mine hopefully this year.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
One thing tho - I got some parts wrong in my Pandemic box (same colored heal-markers and some cubes missing). The asmodee customer service is reeeaaaallly slow - no answer for more than a week now.
Compared to Amigo Games where they straight up sent me a full new game within two days because one(!) card was faultly printed...

edit: Also a shitty weather weekend coming up so hopefully time to play some more games, yay! Maybe we can invite some friends&family and are able to play something differently, or arent' restricted to two-player games/variations for once.

Last edited:

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Oh wow, what was the reason for that?

There is this unmentioned obligation to play the same game every time the group gets together. Its tough to play the same one every time when you have 30+ other fantastic ones, and the game isnt exactly changing the formula much from play to play. I will never play another legacy based game because of this fact.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Its tough to play the same one every time when you have 30+ other fantastic ones, and the game isnt exactly changing the formula much from play to play.
My experience is quite the opposite. We were always excited to play the next game of Pandemic Legacy, to see what new horrible things the game would throw at us this time. Both season 1 and 2 of Pandemic Legacy are at the top of my favorite gaming experiences and made me hunger for more Legacy games.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Since I know the creator posts here, thought I'd mention my copy of Heroes of Tenefyr arrived today. Going through the rules now so haven't had a chance to play yet but wow does the art look fantastic in person! The high contrast gives it a feel like no other game in my collection. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun when my Gloomhaven group wants to tackle something that doesn't take a half hour to set up. Though man is the box enormous! Cards only take up a quarter of the space and that's with the insert. The quality of the box is really nice, but I wish it came in something a little more portable.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Since I know the creator posts here, thought I'd mention my copy of Heroes of Tenefyr arrived today. Going through the rules now so haven't had a chance to play yet but wow does the art look fantastic in person! The high contrast gives it a feel like no other game in my collection. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun when my Gloomhaven group wants to tackle something that doesn't take a half hour to set up. Though man is the box enormous! Cards only take up a quarter of the space and that's with the insert. The quality of the box is really nice, but I wish it came in something a little more portable.
Thank you! Good to hear that it arrived well. I'm so happy with the artists that I found.
About the box size: I'm currently working on an expansion which will fit right into the base box, and a lot of people like to sleeve their cards, which doubles the space the cards take up.
I hope you'll enjoy it!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Has anyone else with an all in batman gotham city chronicles pledge figured out a way to store this nightmare of boxes?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks to rainy weather it was a weekend of 2p board/card games :)
Currently Port Royal is our favourite quick game and it will also go into our travel-bag for sure. We also enjoy Pandemic very much still.
I personally love to play Smash Up but my SO is not into the "geek" factor of it that much, also it can be pretty confusing sometimes.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! Good to hear that it arrived well. I'm so happy with the artists that I found.
About the box size: I'm currently working on an expansion which will fit right into the base box, and a lot of people like to sleeve their cards, which doubles the space the cards take up.
I hope you'll enjoy it!

Will this hit retail? I somehow missed the information on this game and it looks fantastic

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Will this hit retail? I somehow missed the information on this game and it looks fantastic
It will have a very limited retail release for now, just the excess stock from the Kickstarter print run. I will do a second Kickstarter for the expansion that I'm currently working on, and this will include an option to get the base game as well, but that's still at least half a year from now.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It will have a very limited retail release for now, just the excess stock from the Kickstarter print run. I will do a second Kickstarter for the expansion that I'm currently working on, and this will include an option to get the base game as well, but that's still at least half a year from now.

Okay. I will make sure to keep my eyes open for that then :) thanks

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Chronicles of Crime is fantastic, but I fully admit if you play it solo the game could very easily just be a full app game without the board and cards. That said the board game format will allow me to play this with a friend/group and have it be a much better experience then trying to work together to play an ace attorney game as an example.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Hostage Negotiator series?

I think the game is good. Part of the appeal of a solo game for me is having a small game I can pull out, set up and sneak a quick play of in-between other things. This one isn't even too unfair despite being a dice game.

However, I backed Crime Wave and it's been kind of bittersweet. On one hand I have a bunch of expansions for the game now, but on the other, the big box and much wider options make it feel like it's not that small go-to solo anymore.

I saw the new KS for the legacy add on they made for it, and I feel pretty indifferent. The game has more than enough, imo, with just the expansion abductors.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I think the game is good. Part of the appeal of a solo game for me is having a small game I can pull out, set up and sneak a quick play of in-between other things. This one isn't even too unfair despite being a dice game.

However, I backed Crime Wave and it's been kind of bittersweet. On one hand I have a bunch of expansions for the game now, but on the other, the big box and much wider options make it feel like it's not that small go-to solo anymore.

I saw the new KS for the legacy add on they made for it, and I feel pretty indifferent. The game has more than enough, imo, with just the expansion abductors.

so you are recommending the base game plus a bunch of abductor packs?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Got my Heroes of Tenefyr package today. The art is truly fantastic BrokenMill
Hopefully I can find some time soon to play it. I was a little scared at first since the big box feels/looks a bit empty filled the few components the game has, but I guess everything is in there ;)

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
so you are recommending the base game plus a bunch of abductor packs?

Yes although they might not all fit in the base game box?

Also it seems they're sold out at retail, so KS would be the only way to get them...at $100 for the total package, I'm not inclined to recommend you pay that much for a pretty simple game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Yes although they might not all fit in the base game box?

Also it seems they're sold out at retail, so KS would be the only way to get them...at $100 for the total package, I'm not inclined to recommend you pay that much for a pretty simple game.

Yeah, it looks like all the stocks conveniently dried up right before this KS launched. There was a base game bundle with a fewpacks for $50 last week and now it is gone. convenient!

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it looks like all the stocks conveniently dried up right before this KS launched. There was a base game bundle with a fewpacks for $50 last week and now it is gone. convenient!

It seems their site (van ryder games) has all the individual things in stock, at least. Base game is $25, packs are $9

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Bloodborne KS is getting stupid with the huge amount of content being locked behind expensive KS exclusive expansions. CMON is garbage and this is the crap that keeps me away from anything they make.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne KS is getting stupid with the huge amount of content being locked behind expensive KS exclusive expansions. CMON is garbage and this is the crap that keeps me away from anything they make.

Pretty much. They went from one of my favorites to avoid anything by them. I did an EB pledge for BB to see if they've changed much but, nope. Dropped the pledge a while back and will continue to ignore them. Terrible company.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Question for the heavy gamers out there:

Should I buy Indonesia (Splotter Gamer) OR
Back CliniC kickstarter and purchase Wildcatters.

Both end up at rough $100.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. I'm considering dropping my pledge, as I don't like feeling exploited. The general mood in the comment section for the campaign makes me feel like I've joined a cult or something. It's like people are enjoying the financial manipulation.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the heavy gamers out there:

Should I buy Indonesia (Splotter Gamer) OR
Back CliniC kickstarter and purchase Wildcatters.

Both end up at rough $100.

Wow that's an interesting choice.

Indonesia's most recent printing shipped with unintentionally huge pieces that barely fit on the map. There have been a couple of different fixes for this (printing a larger map, or buying different pieces for it) but that will put you over the price of the other two games. However, I've heard this game is fantastic and I've been wanting to play it.

On the other hand, Wildcatters is maybe gonna come and go as a sleeper hit (I haven't played it yet, but it looks right up my alley), and CliniC's got a very nice new coat of paint, but I don't know how it plays. I do like the designer's other games a lot (Card City XL, Tramways) so it could also be a hit.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Wow that's an interesting choice.

Indonesia's most recent printing shipped with unintentionally huge pieces that barely fit on the map. There have been a couple of different fixes for this (printing a larger map, or buying different pieces for it) but that will put you over the price of the other two games. However, I've heard this game is fantastic and I've been wanting to play it.

On the other hand, Wildcatters is maybe gonna come and go as a sleeper hit (I haven't played it yet, but it looks right up my alley), and CliniC's got a very nice new coat of paint, but I don't know how it plays. I do like the designer's other games a lot (Card City XL, Tramways) so it could also be a hit.
Gaaaaaaah! I feel like you may have assisted in my choice. I will probably back CliniC, and grab Wildcatters (Edward from Heavy Cardboard loves it). After playing Food Chain Magnate, I need more Splotter in my life though.

Oct 25, 2017
Did a solo run-through (not the solo game, but rather just going through the motions of playing one player) of A Feast for Odin to learn the rules.

I'm super excited to play this with a group.

I still stand by my decision to purchase both AFfO and Nusfjord. Even on my practice run-through, I can see how AFfO can take hours. Nusfjord is a bit more limited, and can reasonably played within 60-90 minutes, give or take the player count. Nusfjord is also pretty quick to set up for a game with that many components.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yup. I'm considering dropping my pledge, as I don't like feeling exploited. The general mood in the comment section for the campaign makes me feel like I've joined a cult or something. It's like people are enjoying the financial manipulation.

You get mauled if you say anything slightly negative about the campaign.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

I dropped mine after the 2nd expansion addon. I figured it'd be ~250 for the all in and its higher than that now. fully expecting another paid expansion in the next 2 days to be added

It's ridiculous

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I dropped mine after the 2nd expansion addon. I figured it'd be ~250 for the all in and its higher than that now. fully expecting another paid expansion in the next 2 days to be added

It's ridiculous

People are asking for more add on expansions, just to boost the stretch goals.

Like... you want to spend money just for a chance to unlock a new couple new figures maybe...

The add ons are also over priced compared to the base game

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to CMON Kickstarters. This is pretty much what they're all like. They're going to try to capitalize on that FOMO as much as they can, and then they'll drop support for the game and move on to the next one.