• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited about getting a copy of Tokyo Highway (the 4P version) from Amazon two nights ago. It shows up in a few hours. The game store in town bought the space next to it to turn it into more space for playing, so I'm gonna take it in tonight and hope someone wants to try it. I know it's FNM tonight which means no one will be there for anything but Magic but I posted on a group on FB saying I'd be there with some games, so we'll see if anyone else swings by.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about getting a copy of Tokyo Highway (the 4P version) from Amazon two nights ago. It shows up in a few hours. The game store in town bought the space next to it to turn it into more space for playing, so I'm gonna take it in tonight and hope someone wants to try it. I know it's FNM tonight which means no one will be there for anything but Magic but I posted on a group on FB saying I'd be there with some games, so we'll see if anyone else swings by.

It's super fun and I'm awful at it. I'm clumsy as hell

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever play Clinic? I love Theme Hospital and I'm very interested in the CliniC Deluxe Edition kickstarter. Looks good but not many video reviews of the older edition.

And maybe it's just because of nostalgia but I'm also eyeing Space Invaders. I love the look, I wish that damn Diorama edition wasn't ridiculously priced.
I decided to back Space Invaders. Looks like a decent-enough deckbuilder. Those shipping prices though...

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I love the Aeons End base game. My group has played it to death and we're ready for an expansion before our New Age kickstarter sets arrive in September.

Those who have played AE content, which small box expansion would you recommend we pick up next? Or should we jump straight into War Eternal??

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played my first long game of Dinosaur Island and that was some good stuff. Only played short & medium before but the long only lasted 2 1/2 hrs and everyone but me was learning it for the first time.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Aeons End base game. My group has played it to death and we're ready for an expansion before our New Age kickstarter sets arrive in September.

Those who have played AE content, which small box expansion would you recommend we pick up next? Or should we jump straight into War Eternal??
War Eternal gives better value than the small expansions. You get 4 nemeses and 8 mages.

In terms of small expansions,
Nameless (2 nemeses, 1 mage) > The Void (2 nemeses, 2 mages) = The Outer Dark (2 nemeses, 2 mages) > The Nameless (1 nemesis, 3 mages) > Buried Secrets (just lots of player cards).

AE Legacy is also good stuff, and after the legacy campaign you can mix a good portion of the box' content with normal AE to play regularly. Story-wise, New Age is the sequel to Legacy.

Personally, I buy everything AE. The nemeses vary up the game so much.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
War Eternal gives better value than the small expansions. You get 4 nemeses and 8 mages.

In terms of small expansions,
Nameless (2 nemeses, 1 mage) > The Void (2 nemeses, 2 mages) = The Outer Dark (2 nemeses, 2 mages) > The Nameless (1 nemesis, 3 mages) > Buried Secrets (just lots of player cards).

AE Legacy is also good stuff, and after the legacy campaign you can mix a good portion of the box' content with normal AE to play regularly. Story-wise, New Age is the sequel to Legacy.

Personally, I buy everything AE. The nemeses vary up the game so much.

Fantastic, thanks so much! I think I'll take the plunge with War Eternal :) My goal will be to be like you and get everything! Just want the best first hahaha.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
Been a while since I've been on here so just wanted to report still happily playing lots of games. :) Weekly BG group has been mostly dominated by Arkham Card Game for the past couple years with no signs of abating (it's so good...you absolutely have to try it if you haven't. fav game ever.). But I've also recently played and enjoyed lots of other hot games like Wingspan (still think Race for the Galaxy is the better game, but the aesthetics are just to die for and much more inclusive), Just One (good Codenames replacement, along with Trap Words, for those that like Codenames but hate those awkward and boring 3-5m+ when the spymasters are trying to think of clues), Space Base (better mechanics and punchier than Machi Koro, though I still prefer Machi Koro's theme), and Ice Cool (really engaging and fun dexterity game).

Played my first long game of Dinosaur Island and that was some good stuff. Only played short & medium before but the long only lasted 2 1/2 hrs and everyone but me was learning it for the first time.
I've owned it for a while but put off actually learning the rules and punching everything (I got the deluxe KS with everything so there was A LOT) and it really exceeded expectations. Just a really clever midweight+ euro game that's dripping with amazing theme. I think three is probably the idea player count as with most eurogames imo but excited to bust it out again and play with the expansion. It's one of those games that I think has a good amount of up-front learning but is actually quite smooth to teach relative to the complexity level. So maybe give yourself a couple hours to learn it and figure out how everything works, but then teaching should be easy.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
People scalping 7 Continents is super frustrating. I learned about the game after the kickstarter and the after market mark ups are ridiculous. Hopefully I can grab a copy before they sell out once their online shop is up.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I've been on here so just wanted to report still happily playing lots of games. :) Weekly BG group has been mostly dominated by Arkham Card Game for the past couple years with no signs of abating (it's so good...you absolutely have to try it if you haven't. fav game ever.). But I've also recently played and enjoyed lots of other hot games like Wingspan (still think Race for the Galaxy is the better game, but the aesthetics are just to die for and much more inclusive), Just One (good Codenames replacement, along with Trap Words, for those that like Codenames but hate those awkward and boring 3-5m+ when the spymasters are trying to think of clues), Space Base (better mechanics and punchier than Machi Koro, though I still prefer Machi Koro's theme), and Ice Cool (really engaging and fun dexterity game).

Check out Decrypto if you like Codenames and Just One.

Also, Altar Quest KS is tomorrow. I will be checking it out. Here is their draft page:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's super fun and I'm awful at it. I'm clumsy as hell
No one was available to play at the store I went to that night but I was able to play it the following day with my wife and daughter. Luckily my dining room table is very heavy and sturdy because my two year old son was trying his hardest to get his hands on any of the pieces in arm's reach, lol. But yeah, it was definitely a lot of fun. I need to play it with more seasoned gamers though, because after explaining the rules and strategy my wife and daughter both were not making optimal moves and were building away from anyone else's roads. I said multiple times that they weren't going to be able to place cars if they weren't interacting with anyone else's roads but I don't know. So playing with other people should provide for a better game.

I did like it though. It's quirky and it has the 'wow' factor that a lot of 3D games with verticality have to them, that will make passerbys at a store stop and watch to see what it is you're playing.
Here's a pic of our completed game:

We played Azul after that, my first time in over a year and their first time ever. They both really liked it and now I'm contemplating spending a hundred dollars on Wooden player board overlays and wooden factories to hold the tiles.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
People scalping 7 Continents is super frustrating. I learned about the game after the kickstarter and the after market mark ups are ridiculous. Hopefully I can grab a copy before they sell out once their online shop is up.

What do you expect? They plan to never release it at retail. I'm hoping to snag it during the fulfillment, they might have it in stock.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
What do you expect? They plan to never release it at retail. I'm hoping to snag it during the fulfillment, they might have it in stock.
I know this kind of thing is common in board gaming- I used to managed a game retail cafe. I just want to vent frustration at the situation. I really want to play the game, but I'm not about to drop $500 on it.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I know this kind of thing is common in board gaming- I used to managed a game retail cafe. I just want to vent frustration at the situation. I really want to play the game, but I'm not about to drop $500 on it.

Same here. I'd gladly wait for another kickstarter if they would just say definitely that they plan to have another. Just seems so dumb not to, people want it, they won't do retail. Ugh.

Too Many Bones will have a kickstarter soon enough so at least I can dump my 7th Continent rainy day fund into that one.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. I'd gladly wait for another kickstarter if they would just say definitely that they plan to have another. Just seems so dumb not to, people want it, they won't do retail. Ugh.

Too Many Bones will have a kickstarter soon enough so at least I can dump my 7th Continent rainy day fund into that one.

Middara is hitting KS again in June - if you have any interest in that kind of big box, massively scoped story, but this time JRPG-like in theme, pay it attention. I'm loving it so far.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how it's scalping ... I don't understand why reselling stuffs has to be a charity. The first one was on KS and it got big so they ran another one and aftermarket price plummet for awhile after. It was not until they couldn't find a way to be profitable at retails they they decided they are going to only do KS. Look at Conan the board game, putting it to retails nearly bankrupt them.

The game is alright there are way better game than 7th Continent once novelty worn off there will be copies used on eBay and BGG. If you can't wait then pay the going market price.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
God, you are not helping! Too many games!

You're welcome :) There's a ridiculous amount of content, branching story, wide trees of upgrades + items to build character specs from, and a wide variety of monsters + encounter design through the first chapter + bit that I've played. The "storybook"/encounter setup is a spiral bound 480 full colour monster that's ridiculously high quality - there are often pages of story between encounters (audio + "sparknote" summaries are forthcoming). There's UV spotlighting on the map tiles and tokens. A bunch of the secrets + twists in encounters are hidden from view in the manual (and map changes like additional tiles are in a separate book) -

middaramanual.jpeg

Yes, it's got very nice minis but that's not what the game is about, it's the quality of the mechanics + encounter design + production, for me. If a boardgame take on grid based tactical JPRG combat, infused with modern production values, with a huge storyline + world sounds interesting, you should pay this attention. It won't be cheap, but production quality + depth is top notch.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
You're welcome :) There's a ridiculous amount of content, branching story, wide trees of upgrades + items to build character specs from, and a wide variety of monsters + encounter design through the first chapter + bit that I've played. The "storybook"/encounter setup is a spiral bound 480 full colour monster that's ridiculously high quality - there are often pages of story between encounters (audio + "sparknote" summaries are forthcoming). There's UV spotlighting on the map tiles and tokens. A bunch of the secrets + twists in encounters are hidden from view in the manual (and map changes like additional tiles are in a separate book) -

middaramanual.jpeg

Yes, it's got very nice minis but that's not what the game is about, it's the quality of the mechanics + encounter design + production, for me. If a boardgame take on grid based tactical JPRG combat, infused with modern production values, with a huge storyline + world sounds interesting, you should pay this attention. It won't be cheap, but production quality + depth is top notch.

Terrible. Just terrible, haha.

You and BlueRose, I love Gloomhaven and if Childres is working on Altar Quest, then I'm in already. Ugh. I wish dungeon crawlers weren't my weakness. It all started with Star Wars: Imperial Assault.

I think for now...

* Root
* Clinic Deluxe Edition
* Too Many Bones

are my only for sure games I have or will kickstart this year.

I'll definitely check out Midara and Atlar Quest tomorrow.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
Check out Decrypto if you like Codenames and Just One.

Do enjoy Decrypto! Trying to figure out how to rank these, but it's more like while they feel similar I'd use them in different contexts. Feel like Decrypto is kind of the gamiest and deepest among them, with just one probably being the simplest. Trap Words is just kind of a fun romp as long as you have a loose crowd that's not going to push the limits on/complain about the rules too much (it has a rule about not being able to use a specific example of a thing as a clue, which is needed to make the game work but kind of interesting to implement).

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible. Just terrible, haha.

You and BlueRose, I love Gloomhaven and if Childres is working on Altar Quest, then I'm in already. Ugh. I wish dungeon crawlers weren't my weakness. It all started with Star Wars: Imperial Assault.

I think for now...

* Root
* Clinic Deluxe Edition
* Too Many Bones

are my only for sure games I have or will kickstart this year.

I'll definitely check out Midara and Atlar Quest tomorrow.
Dungeon Crawlers are my weakness too. Gloomhaven is a favourite, so Altar Quest is a no brainer.

I was lucky enough to buy a copy of Middara from a backer for upfront pledge amount. I'm not sure Act 2 or 3 will be as underpriced as Act 1 was, but there is an absolute ridiculous amount of content in the first act that will be available via KS next month.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure Act 2 or 3 will be as underpriced as Act 1 was, but there is an absolute ridiculous amount of content in the first act that will be available via KS next month.

That might be the issue for me. Middara is pretty much my most anticipated game/kickstarter but if the price tag for all-in gameplay is too high, I will just have to skip it entirely. With small publishers there's usually no reliable "get base game/pledge now and expansions in retail later" option especially if you live outside of US.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Do enjoy Decrypto! Trying to figure out how to rank these, but it's more like while they feel similar I'd use them in different contexts. Feel like Decrypto is kind of the gamiest and deepest among them, with just one probably being the simplest. Trap Words is just kind of a fun romp as long as you have a loose crowd that's not going to push the limits on/complain about the rules too much (it has a rule about not being able to use a specific example of a thing as a clue, which is needed to make the game work but kind of interesting to implement).

I think that is spot on. All of them are great in different settings. I have had several non-gamers buy Just One after playing it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
EU folks: My 7th Continent arrived... sometime in the last few days. Not sure exactly when, I suddenly realised there was a parcel under the plastic recycling crate behind my back door last night, but looks like I never actually got a delivery note through the mailbox.

But on the bright side, that does mean they're arriving in this neck of the woods now.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
My man! I've been following that one since they teased it at the end of Aftershock. Can't wait!

Pledged and eagerly anticipating a treasure trove of Stretch Goals. Given AQ's gothic fantasy theme has more universal appeal than Brook City or Street Masters offered, I expect this to be their biggest and most successful game.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Preview for the Company of Heroes board game.

Must admit that I am intrigued by it. Partly as a massive fan of Company of Heroes, but also cause the game actually sounds not bad.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017

Pledged and eagerly anticipating a treasure trove of Stretch Goals. Given AQ's gothic fantasy theme has more universal appeal than Brook City or Street Masters offered, I expect this to be their biggest and most successful game.

The 10k stretch goal gap is a little bit of a bummer, but I understand they did that since they believe it will have more appeal. Something about witnessing those 5k stretch goals with Aftershock was so much fun!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alar Quest looks pretty cool but seeing so many stretch goals just be miniatures for props and there already being a $35 expansion add-on and it's giving me CMON vibes. I have Brook City and think I'll just stick to that as it's a bit more unique of a theme and I'm doubting there's a ton of differences in play (I could very well be wrong, I didn't look at the rulebook). Though I say that as someone who has Thanos Rising and is super stoked about Dark Side Rising, which will likely have even less differences.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Alar Quest looks pretty cool but seeing so many stretch goals just be miniatures for props and there already being a $35 expansion add-on and it's giving me CMON vibes. I have Brook City and think I'll just stick to that as it's a bit more unique of a theme and I'm doubting there's a ton of differences in play (I could very well be wrong, I didn't look at the rulebook). Though I say that as someone who has Thanos Rising and is super stoked about Dark Side Rising, which will likely have even less differences.

After going through the entire Bloodborne campaign and cancelling last minute, I can say that I don't necessarily feel that way. They said that the single expansion was the only game play add-on they had planned. They did say if people make enough noise for something specific they may cave in, but ultimately they didn't want this one to have a million expansions. That is fine by my wallet! Like you, I'm also a little on the fence about getting trap minis as stretch goals. I would rather have actual extra content, but that is my sole complaint thus far.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After going through the entire Bloodborne campaign and cancelling last minute, I can say that I don't necessarily feel that way. They said that the single expansion was the only game play add-on they had planned. They did say if people make enough noise for something specific they may cave in, but ultimately they didn't want this one to have a million expansions.

I'll give them props for that, then. Good on them for realizing there's a point where you're just exploiting your customers.

A lot of my feeling comes from being burned out on minis heavy games, so it's a bummer to see this one not really need many but they keep adding pointless ones. I'd have probably already have backed if those were optional. Nonetheless I'm glad to see it's been a success thus far and hope it ends up their biggest yet.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
For people in the UK, I've just noticed Amazon are selling Tail Feather for £20, I guess their clearing out stock.
It's a dogfighting game like x-wing but with warrior-mice riding birds, based in the Mice & Mystics universe.
I liked M&M quite a bit so ordered straight away!

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give them props for that, then. Good on them for realizing there's a point where you're just exploiting your customers.

A lot of my feeling comes from being burned out on minis heavy games, so it's a bummer to see this one not really need many but they keep adding pointless ones. I'd have probably already have backed if those were optional. Nonetheless I'm glad to see it's been a success thus far and hope it ends up their biggest yet.

I feel your pain there. Minis naturally catch my attention, but they take up so much space and require so much effort to paint up. That being said, gorgeous minis make me weak in the knees and I have overlooked great games because they weren't as appealing to me visually. I'm a moron sometimes because I prioritize table presence.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel your pain there. Minis naturally catch my attention, but they take up so much space and require so much effort to paint up. That being said, gorgeous minis make me weak in the knees and I have overlooked great games because they weren't as appealing to me visually. I'm a moron sometimes because I prioritize table presence.

Eh, we each like what we like. Doesn't make you an moron.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've just gotten tired of the whole dungeon crawler thing. Even when they're mechanically different, they often have similar feelings. I'm not even a third done with Gloomhaven, haven't touched Massive Darkness, and that new Lord of the Rings game is coming tomorrow. I think that will last me for quite a while. Usually I'm just playing with my wife and we get kinda bored just going from room to room fighting monsters if the game lasts over an hour and a half.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if that the reason. I think they finally realize that expansion just cost them more in the long run and they ended up eating the cost when the game go to retails. Look at the Others and Zombicides, retails doesn't want to order their stuffs because people don't buy it at retails due to KS exclusive and then the game just flash in the pan because no one want to get "incomplete" games even if all the extra are just mostly useless junks.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
So last week I missed the mail for something that wasn't allowed to be safe dropped. I assumed it was a replacement ID I had ordered so I walked to the post office.

... Turns out it was this beauty and I had to carry all 17 pounds of it home for 20 minutes... Not the smartest call on my part, but hey!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
So last week I missed the mail for something that wasn't allowed to be safe dropped. I assumed it was a replacement ID I had ordered so I walked to the post office.

... Turns out it was this beauty and I had to carry all 17 pounds of it home for 20 minutes... Not the smartest call on my part, but hey!
I'm so jealous. I'm still waiting for my copy of the core game and expansion to arrive. It's probably a good thing it hasn't arrived though, as I still have to correct exams and write reports. I'm looking forward to dedicating some serious game time to 7th Continent over the Semester break.