• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'll vouch for 7th Continent. I got it recently and it's slowly becoming my favorite game ever next to Arkham Horror: The Card Game.

Really want to try out Middara too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
7th continent and ah tcg are amazing, been wanting to play them solo but have been too lazy to sum up all the cards my friend and I have in both games to not lose our progress in each (10 hours in 7th continent, 5 scenarios in ah tcg)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that I've played Teotihuacan, Lorenzo, Grand Austria Hotel, and The Voyages of Marco Polo, I think I'm only missing out on Tzolk'in from that set of games (same group of designers, all with dice-based action selection of some sort (except Tzolkin)).

Of the four I have played, I find Grand Austria Hotel a bit too simple/light, Lorenzo (at least with the first expansion) too complicated (and lengthy, and reliant on windfalls), and Marco Polo too boring (and with poorly balanced characters). For my tastes, Teotihuacan is a bit too point-salady and doesn't have strong enough player interaction (increasing opponent costs by taking a space first or grabbing a somewhat better tile than its replenished replacement), but is the most puzzle-like (it's fitting that it has a solo mode) and probably the only one I'd like to play more of at this point.

Has anyone else tried all or most of these? I realize Tzolk'in is the highest rated and most popular of them all and the one I have yet to play, but I'm curious as to whether others have similar (or not) feelings about them.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I've been playing One Deck Dungeon on the app, took me 20 goes to finally beat the damned dragon on novice difficulty. Really putting me off going any further, not sure what I'm doing wrong, did end up reading a few tips, but ultimately I just felt like I was hampered by the number of dice I was allowed.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Man, I've been playing One Deck Dungeon on the app, took me 20 goes to finally beat the damned dragon on novice difficulty. Really putting me off going any further, not sure what I'm doing wrong, did end up reading a few tips, but ultimately I just felt like I was hampered by the number of dice I was allowed.

same here!

I feel lost playing this game on my phone.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've played Teotihuacan, Lorenzo, Grand Austria Hotel, and The Voyages of Marco Polo, I think I'm only missing out on Tzolk'in from that set of games (same group of designers, all with dice-based action selection of some sort (except Tzolkin)).

Of the four I have played, I find Grand Austria Hotel a bit too simple/light, Lorenzo (at least with the first expansion) too complicated (and lengthy, and reliant on windfalls), and Marco Polo too boring (and with poorly balanced characters). For my tastes, Teotihuacan is a bit too point-salady and doesn't have strong enough player interaction (increasing opponent costs by taking a space first or grabbing a somewhat better tile than its replenished replacement), but is the most puzzle-like (it's fitting that it has a solo mode) and probably the only one I'd like to play more of at this point.

Has anyone else tried all or most of these? I realize Tzolk'in is the highest rated and most popular of them all and the one I have yet to play, but I'm curious as to whether others have similar (or not) feelings about them.
I have played all of them including Tzolk'n. I only play Grand Austria once long time ago. I don't remember much to be honest so that probably sum up my feeling about it. We used to play Lorenzo quite a bit at our MeetUp and I don't think it was that lengthy. It was good but sometime you can get hose by card flop. It really reward multiple plays and that you know what cards are in the decks. We played Marco Polo a few times, and honestly I think it's probably the best I feel of all the games you listed. I don't know why you think it's boring. There are a lot of good decisions to be make and as far as character powers, they are meant to be strong and "broken". You are supposed to find way to win with your power but I can agree though that some powers are easier to use than other and could lead to "unfairness". I also play quite a bit of Teotihuacan, I like this one a lot but there are a lot of points gains to track and may be too fiddly for some. Tozolk'n is his older design and be very punishing for new players. It required a lot of planning and personally I don't care for the whole feeding workers (there are some in Teotihuacan but it's not as punishing as Tzolk'n).

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick question to confirm - Even though I JUST received the base game of 7th continent & expansion, I still need to throw away all the cards in the base and replace them with the replacement cards that shipped with it, correct?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
What are you having problems with? I have only played Forest of Shadows, but it didn't seem too bad. I do think that the classes might not be too well balanced so that can have something to do with it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've yet to download the app but I know the irl one deck dungeon I find a lot easier playing it solo with one character as opposed to two players/solo with two characters.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
What are you having problems with? I have only played Forest of Shadows, but it didn't seem too bad. I do think that the classes might not be too well balanced so that can have something to do with it.

I won twice in a row since posting this, once as Paladin which was a bit close and then as Warrior and destroyed it. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was going wrong but I did put more focus in the exact combination of items I had by the end.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I read that but it mentions those who already had a base box and now received the replacement pack... I just received both together? Do I still throw the base cards out, even though they're... Well... Brand new?
The second printing if the base box has them replaced already. You dont have to throw anything away

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I won twice in a row since posting this, once as Paladin which was a bit close and then as Warrior and destroyed it. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was going wrong but I did put more focus in the exact combination of items I had by the end.

At the end of the day ODD has both luck of the draw for what door you open and luck of the dice with what you roll. You can make the best decisions every time and still get destroyed with bad luck.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I read that but it mentions those who already had a base box and now received the replacement pack... I just received both together? Do I still throw the base cards out, even though they're... Well... Brand new?
The huge replacement pack (not the little 30 card errata) is essentially the entire game again, due to a miscoloring issue, meant to replace the base game for first time backers. I have no idea why they would send you a copy if you were getting an "all-in" this time.

You could probably look around and see if you can sell it. As far as I'm aware, it's essentially a complete copy of the game, sans box, minis, and dice.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've found with ODD is that more dice > skills. Skill are nice and useful, but you're almost always better off rolling more dice so you want to fill up on items ASAP.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
The huge replacement pack (not the little 30 card errata) is essentially the entire game again, due to a miscoloring issue, meant to replace the base game for first time backers. I have no idea why they would send you a copy if you were getting an "all-in" this time.

You could probably look around and see if you can sell it. As far as I'm aware, it's essentially a complete copy of the game, sans box, minis, and dice.

Yeah that's why I was confused. I assume they fixed all the base games after realizing so the base game I got already has the fixed cards in it - then why would they also send me a replacement box? It's definitely the one with all the cards. Very confusing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Just bought and played a game of ODD on the app, won as a warrior on the beginner dungeon. Some additional advice for people trying to win their first game

1) don't be afraid to lose the time avoiding a challenge your hero/heroes simply aren't prepared/skilled enough for. This is especially true on the 3rd floor.

2) prioritize skills that enable you to convert dice either to other colors or to higher values. You'll learn to stop hating 1's when two-three 1's can turn into three 5's.

3) DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR SKILLS! DO NOT FORGET ABOUT CONVERTING DICE INTO BLACK/WILD DICE! I can not stress this enough. You'll take pointless time and health consequences that could have been covered with a bit of clever die manipulation.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been buying/playing a bunch of board games recently so haven't really posted in here much. So here's my current Oink Games collection. I'm still missing a bunch but I'm happy with the ones I have!

D8Df8g3XkAIHro4

D8DljNwXsAAVBmS

Checkin in for my annual Inis minnit:

Seasons is imminent! This is not a drill!
I literally just played this again last week for the first time in ages. Love it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmm, Looking for a good single player digital board game on my phone, one deck dungeon and smash up both interest me(I have some iTunes credit). Thought I'd ask for some suggestions, have pandemic and castles of mad king Ludwig(and my unusable copy of small world 2 due to not currently having a tablet :( )

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
If you are talking about cards that are in small plastic baggie, you only use those to replace the cards in the base box if you have the 1st edition. (People that back the game during the first KS). These cards update the core box from the 1st printing to be the same as the 2nd edition. There are also replacement cards for the entire 2nd edition core box because all the card backs were printed with various shades of blues. So instead of sending out replacement for these, they just reprinted the entire core box and send them to people that have 2nd edition core. Does that make sense?

Edit: I saw your follow up post. Open your base box and see if your cards have various shades of blues. I believe they did entire print run of 2nd edition together regardless of how you opt to have the core box ship to you so your "new" core box might also have misprinted cards. Also if I remember from one of their KS update is that they aren't sure which core box print were mess up so they decided to just send replacement for everyone who back the 2nd edition core box.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I've been getting really bummed out about not getting to play anything lately. I'm altering my sleep schedule so I should be able to wake up early enough before work on Tuesday evenings to start attending game nights again at the local store in town. Went in yesterday for Tabletop Day though and sat there for 3.5 hours with a stack of 10+ games of various types and themes in front of me and no one ever showed up. I posted that I'd be there the day before and posted when I showed up, and the week prior people in the local FB group were posting about being there for RPGs and stuff. The only people in the store were there for Magic, a Yu Gi Oh tournament, and 40K though. It was pretty disappointing. But hopefully there'll be people there on Tuesday nights. And hopefully it'll be more than just one or two there for board games, which is how it has been in the past. I posted in the group that I'd be attending Tuesday nights again and someone requested that I bring Tortuga 1667. It's not gonna be much fun if there is only three people there.

I need to start learning some of the games in the store's demo area so that way if I bring the wrong games (a bunch of party games or games that require a bigger group but only one other person is there, a bunch of two player games but five people are there, that kind of thing) I've got some there to fall back on. The demo section at this store has expanded a lot recently and it's got some stuff I've wanted to buy or try for a while, like Starship Samurai and Lords of Vegas.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok I'm leaning towards one deck dungeon, Tokaido, and race for the galaxy digital versions now, I'm open to more iPhone suggestions though

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Hmm, Looking for a good single player digital board game on my phone, one deck dungeon and smash up both interest me(I have some iTunes credit). Thought I'd ask for some suggestions, have pandemic and castles of mad king Ludwig(and my unusable copy of small world 2 due to not currently having a tablet :( )

There are a LOT of board games on the phone/tablet (more so for tablet). Most have single player too. Here's games I own and enjoyed in no particular order.
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Tokaido
  • Stone Age
  • Colt Express (has a "story" or challenge mode that changes things up a lot)
  • Onirim
  • Onitama
  • Splendor
  • Star Realms

I have not played Terra Mystica, but it is there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
There are a LOT of board games on the phone/tablet (more so for tablet). Most have single player too. Here's games I own and enjoyed in no particular order.
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Tokaido
  • Stone Age
  • Onirim
  • Onitama
  • Splendor
  • Star Realms

Oooo didn't realize Onitama didn't have a digital version, im in on that. Also just bought Tokaido

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Tokaido
  • Stone Age
  • Onirim
  • Onitama
  • Splendor
  • Star Realms

How's Terra Mystica on mobile? I own the physical but I'm scared of even playing it because... it's thick.

Also, Lords of Waterdeep is EXCELLENT on mobile, I can vouch for that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Star Realms had been my ios drug I play it 2-3 times a day at least. Highly addictive deck builder that you can play a full game in under 5 minutes, perfect for portable play.

One Deck Dungeon is a bit beefier but is also fantastic on ios. Takes 20-30 minutes per game and is a fun dice game with some really clever use of dice manipulation.

Also Onirim is the essentially ios mobile game. Fast, solitaire style card game with plenty of fun expansions to give the game more variety if you need it.

You can try Onirim and Star Realms for free, and buy more if you like and want more.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Pirates Outlaws is basically a reskin of Slay the Spire with a pirate theme.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
wMQg7LB.jpg

Found this at a Goodwill today for $3.20. Blew my mind when I saw it there. Blew my mind again when I opened it to see everything was not only there, but individually bagged. Counted everything to make sure it was all there and walked out with a big grin on my face. Been wanting a copy for a while now, but I just can't afford to buy it new.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
wMQg7LB.jpg

Found this at a Goodwill today for $3.20. Blew my mind when I saw it there. Blew my mind again when I opened it to see everything was not only there, but individually bagged. Counted everything to make sure it was all there and walked out with a big grin on my face. Been wanting a copy for a while now, but I just can't afford to buy it new.

Very nice. I've considered donating some games to thrift stores but unsure how they'd stay together.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Very nice. I've considered donating some games to thrift stores but unsure how they'd stay together.

All the Goodwill's around my area tape the boxes shut before they go on the floor. I don't know if they ensure all the pieces are there, but I'm the type to open a game and count the pieces to ensure everything is there.

This is my collection (minus a Deluxe Edition Scrabble)

and with the exception of the Ticket to Ride and Yahtzee, everything has been thrifted. I make it a habit to swing by the board games when my fiancee and I hit up the thrift stores. It's paid off very well in the games I've found. Every single one of those has been $6.99 or less and they're all complete.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
and with the exception of the Ticket to Ride and Yahtzee, everything has been thrifted. I make it a habit to swing by the board games when my fiancee and I hit up the thrift stores. It's paid off very well in the games I've found. Every single one of those has been $6.99 or less and they're all complete.

Oh god, the Care Bears game; is that On The Path To Care-A-Lot? I think that was one of the first board games I ever wanted in advance when I was very young. And looking at it now, it's remarkably bad!

I should charity shop/carboot more often.

Oct 28, 2017
All the Goodwill's around my area tape the boxes shut before they go on the floor. I don't know if they ensure all the pieces are there, but I'm the type to open a game and count the pieces to ensure everything is there.

This is my collection (minus a Deluxe Edition Scrabble)

Thumbs up for Vikings, that game is a ton of fun. I love the way you draft tiles in that game.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Shipping costs are higher than anticipated for Bloodborne now that the pledge manager is out and people are pissed.

Also, Roxley's Iron Clay KS is out for anyone who is interested..

I like the ones I got with Brass a lot but not sure I need a whole extra set of them.

I have the Iron Clays backed for now, will reassess closer to kickstarter ending. They do have use, I also like upgrading games with metal coins, will need to think about how much I'd actually use them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
if you rubber band the game closed it will likely be fine, even if you don't it should be fine.

I work in a thrift store and we typically just put the board games in boxes to be shipped to our processing center.
a lot of good wills just process their stuff on site (as far as I know) so the boxes would just be placed somewhere and then be priced.

most people who look at board games are fairly careful with them, it's pretty rare for us to have board game parts around on the floor and when we do it's typically from a kids board game with a flimsy box and a lot of random pieces.

You could also look up if you have something like a half price books in your area as they will take your board games (give you a little money in return) and make sure they are kept together since they don't have piles upon piles of stuff to go through like thrift stores.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
wMQg7LB.jpg

Nice find! You'll get way more than $3 worth out of that game

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
wMQg7LB.jpg

This is still one of my favorite game!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
wMQg7LB.jpg

Awesome find and lucky, I always find crap like spiderman and the fantastic 4 for $50 dollars! With components missing!!