• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Shipping costs are higher than anticipated for Bloodborne now that the pledge manager is out and people are pissed.

Also, Roxley's Iron Clay KS is out for anyone who is interested..

I like the ones I got with Brass a lot but not sure I need a whole extra set of them.
Shipping to Australia for an All-In is only $46.10. That's roughly the same as the estimated shipping during the campaign. I'm guessing the shipping is higher for some territories as a result of the US tariffs and Brexit.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Era....someone talk me out of spending $400 on 7th Contient's Full gameplay bundle and that's with shipping included. I really want this game but I don't know how the webstore will handle orders or if I'll even be able to get everything I want!

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era....someone talk me out of spending $400 on 7th Contient's Full gameplay bundle and that's with shipping included. I really want this game but I don't know how the webstore will handle orders or if I'll even be able to get everything I want!
You could get 8-10 excellent games available right now in retail for that price. We live in a golden age of boardgames where there are lots of fantastic ones being released and available. FOMO is a losing proposition.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018

I cant think of a single game I own that I would be willing to pay $400 dollars for. Even if it was the last copy in existence, and I knew how great it was.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
You could get 8-10 excellent games available right now in retail for that price. We live in a golden age of boardgames where there are lots of fantastic ones being released and available. FOMO is a losing proposition.

And what games?

I own (these are just my more expensive stuff)

• Gloomhaven
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • Every Star Wars: Imperial Assault expansion
  • A Feast for Odin
  • Twilight Imperium 4th Edition

Obviously not $400. FOMO generally doesn't affect me but 7th Continent is special in that it might ever be available. It's $250 for the all in bundle so I'm basically paying an extra $150....while the money isn't necessarily an issue it's nothing to scoff at.

As far as Kickstarter goes I also have Root (with all expansions) coming December, pledged for Altar Quest, Clicnic Deluxe Edition and I'm going to be backing Midarra and Too Many Bones when they return.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
And what games?

• Gloomhaven
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • A Feast for Odin

Obviously not $400. FOMO generally doesn't affect me but 7th Continent is special in that it might ever be available. It's $250 for the all in bundle so I'm basically paying an extra $150....while the money isn't necessarily an issue it's nothing to scoff at.

As far as Kickstarter goes I also have Root (with all expansions) coming December, pledged for Altar Quest, Clicnic Deluxe Edition and I'm going to be backing Midarra and Too Many Bones when they return.

I would ask how much play you've gotten out of the games you have now (particularly huge timesinks like Gloomhaven and IA), and whether you foresee yourself playing through everything in 7th Continent you're spending $400 on. Because even the best case scenario where you play it front to back, $400 seems like a lot of money for that.

Also, you're totally FOMOing right now, lol.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I would ask how much play you've gotten out of the games you have now (particularly huge timesinks like Gloomhaven and IA), and whether you foresee yourself playing through everything in 7th Continent you're spending $400 on. Because even the best case scenario where you play it front to back, $400 seems like a lot of money for that.

Also, you're totally FOMOing right now, lol.

I know.

And I've played some of Gloomhaven with my group. Waiting for the expansion. Imperial Assault I LOVE. I don't own any of the small extra minatures. Played it to death and I've been doing co-op with a friend once every few weeks. I love dungeon crawlers.

I decided against 7th Continent though and I'll risk getting it through the webstore. I do want Too Many Bones though and I'm deciding which tier for now.

Last edited:

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
And what games?

• Gloomhaven
  • Food Chain Magnate
  • A Feast for Odin

Do you like Food Chain Magnate? It's currently my only 10 on my BGG page. I hurriedly picked up Indonesia and Antiquity after my 3rd play of FCM, and also snagged BUS off Capstones' website. If those other games are even half as good as Food Chain, I imagine this is $400 well spent.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Do you like Food Chain Magnate? It's currently my only 10 on my BGG page. I hurriedly picked up Indonesia and Antiquity after my 3rd play of FCM, and also snagged BUS off Capstones' website. If those other games are even half as good as Food Chain, I imagine this is $400 well spent.

I love it. Incredible game, great component quality, just very long. Which is fine with me but I can't play it as much as I like, it has at least 25 plays though. Gloomhaven is incredible from the little I played. Some of my favorite combat in a dungeon crawler. Star Wars is what introduced me to the genre and I just love Star Wars, also the easiest way for me to introduce people to it.

But now that Too Many Bones is up on kickstarter I have to choose between the $530 pledge for Too Many Bones or 7th Continent. I'm leaning towards TMB.

Last edited:

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy, but the art for TMB just doesn't do it for me... really much so at those prices.

I'm still in on Icaion and Altar Quest but waning on both. I think I will pass on Batman 2, TMB and Company of Heroes from today.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I love it. Incredible game, great component quality, just very long. Which is fine with me but I can't play it as much as I like, it has at least 25 plays though. Gloomhaven is incredible. Some of my favorite combat in a dungeon crawler. Star Wars is what introduced me to the genre and I just love Star Wars, also the easiest way for me to introduce people to it.

But now that Too Many Bones is up on kickstarter I have to choose between the $530 pledge for Too Many Bones or 7th Continent. I'm leaning towards TMB.

I think you should look into The Great Zimbabwe. You get all the Splotter Magic in about 90 mins or less. Its OOP and hard to find, but I think you'd love it.

Shoot, I was supposed to save you money!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Call me crazy, but the art for TMB just doesn't do it for me... really much so at those prices.

I'm still in on Icaion and Altar Quest but waning on both. I think I will pass on Batman 2, TMB and Company of Heroes from today.

I like the art myself but I am also waning on Altar Quest

I think you should look into The Great Zimbabwe. You get all the Splotter Magic in about 90 mins or less. Its OOP and hard to find, but I think you'd love it.

Shoot, I was supposed to save you money!

A friend owns that thankfully!

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Has anyone played the Gotham City Chronicles game by Monolith? I love Batman and am interested but the whole "one player must play the villains" thing isn't really what my group likes. Still feel weird passing up such a dope-looking game.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell, I was not expecting another $300 for Batman season 2. Definitely picking and choosing this time. The pick your minis thing is neat though.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Any opinions on Kingsport Festival? I feel like I've seen Kingsburg and Kingsport recommended before for fans of Alien Frontiers, and that is one of my favorite games, but I can't remember much about them. My mother just messaged me and said she found a board game at a consignment store near her and asked if I wanted it. It is a new copy of Kingsport Festival for $15. I told her to go ahead and get it and I'd give her money for it when I drive home for vacation next month.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at Batman the more inclined I am to just get a mini so I can get the free Red Hood mini (I hate the one in season 1). It's pretty crazy how big of a drop in value this is from season 1.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Any opinions on Kingsport Festival? I feel like I've seen Kingsburg and Kingsport recommended before for fans of Alien Frontiers, and that is one of my favorite games, but I can't remember much about them. My mother just messaged me and said she found a board game at a consignment store near her and asked if I wanted it. It is a new copy of Kingsport Festival for $15. I told her to go ahead and get it and I'd give her money for it when I drive home for vacation next month.
I think it's fine. I really like Kingsburg and it's basically Kingsburg. It's just that Kingsburg is a slightly more palatable theme for family game night or whatever. Aside from the theme, the board readibility is a bit worse on Kingsport Festival.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fine. I really like Kingsburg and it's basically Kingsburg. It's just that Kingsburg is a slightly more palatable theme for family game night or whatever. Aside from the theme, the board readibility is a bit worse on Kingsport Festival.
I'll look into both of them tonight and watch some videos while at work. I know they are both dice-based worker placement games, which is where the Alien Frontiers comparisons comes from, using dice to determine your placements. And I knew that -port was then retheme of -burg. That's about all that I knew about them though. I want to say that I looked into them at one point a few years ago but cannot remember why I didn't even add one of them to my wishlist to keep it in mind or anything.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is Too Many Bones? I see it mentioned a lot in Board Game communities and it is often recommended to me as a Solo experience, but positive praise aside, what sets it apart from other games? I'm interested in this new Kickstarter and though initially, I found the art off-putting, it has grown on me. Where would I begin if I wanted to jump in? What extras/add-ons are worth considering for increased gameplay value and premium enhancements?

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
What exactly is Too Many Bones? I see it mentioned a lot in Board Game communities and it is often recommended to me as a Solo experience, but positive praise aside, what sets it apart from other games? I'm interested in this new Kickstarter and though initially, I found the art off-putting, it has grown on me. Where would I begin if I wanted to jump in? What extras/add-ons are worth considering for increased gameplay value and premium enhancements?

I'm looking to getting into it as well. I considered the $190 pledge but I think I'm just going to get the minimum pledge so I can get the base game only once the pledge manager opens.

It's a dice builder with, at least imo, very nice components and difficult but satisfying gameplay

I got into board gaming seriously this year, and all I can think of is how many good KS I missed. Right now, especially, I'm kicking myself over missing out on Nemesis. I went all on tainted grail but man Nemesis looks great. That and street masters

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to getting into it as well. I considered the $190 pledge but I think I'm just going to get the minimum pledge so I can get the base game only once the pledge manager opens.

It's a dice builder with, at least imo, very nice components and difficult but satisfying gameplay

I got into board gaming seriously this year, and all I can think of is how many good KS I missed. Right now, especially, I'm kicking myself over missing out on Nemesis. I went all on tainted grail but man Nemesis looks great. That and street masters
Just quickly, the Street Masters Pledge Manager might still be open. I was able to order and pay for an all-in Super Street Masters Tier over the weekend. I believe it is or was open due to a maintenance issue.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly the game I had in mind. I like Lacerda's games, but it's laughable that EGG wants $140 for Escape Plan because they want Kickstarter people to feel special.

The Lacerda+EGG products are pretty high quality though. I haven't seen many eurogames that are so well-produced with a "deluxe" feel. Also the games are very complete and self-contained, no bloat in 'content' or expansions promised down the line. Even the KS extras are not that substantial, so picking up the retail copy is not missing much.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

A friend of mine said it is D&D 4th Edition-lite. Maybe that is? I haven't played that.

It is a dice builder that you go on adventures and fight baddies. It sort of strips away the visual of the board and super-detailed minis and gives you really nicely made mats, dice, and poker chips. It is about the actions and choices. The art isn't a huge deal because you only really see your own character on your mat but you are staring at their chips that only have heads/faces.

All their components are super nice. Stitched neoprene mats, card tuck boxes, dice holders/trays with lids, chip holders in the insert...this is all standard with their products. They also don't sell at retail so you either do from their store, at convention, or KS.

How TMB works is you pick a tyrant, shuffle their encounter cards in with a certain amount of regular encounter cards (each tyrant has a different game length so different number of cards used) and add the Day 1-3 on top. Object is to kill the tyrant. You can only fight it if you make enough progress via progress points. Each Day typically has one progress point attached to it, a few don't. So on Day 1 you flip over the card and you read the story/flavor text and decide what to do. Most cards give you at least two options and let you know what the rewards are. It could be to not fight, fight, fight with different challenges/conditions, or sometimes literal dexterity tests (one has you flicking one of your dice between two poker chips to see if you get hurt on a catapult or not, easier said than done) to pass the day.

If you fight, you pull out the battleground mat which has slots for up to 4 monsters and 4 gearlocs. I believe it is a 4x5 spaced grid. Each gearloc die is rolled to determine initiative and baddies have set ones and you arrange their order on the mat (there is a cool cut-out on the side that is the order). Then you fight. Baddies can move two and then attack. Each chip has their attack value, who they target and health. Gearlocs can only do things based on their Dexterity. Dex is essentially action points. You can use one to move but then you can roll fewer dice. But you move or not first then decide which dice to roll and then hit your target or do your action. The characters are significantly different and have their own player aid that tells you what all their unlockable dice can do. It even gives you recommendations on what to level up if you are new. Skill dice you unlock are exhausted after you use them but you always have attack dice and defense dice you have access to every round unless something bad happens.

The baddie system is kind of cool. They come in 1 point, 5 point, and 20 point (Undertow has 3 points but that is special occasion). You determine a baddie pool by taking the number of gearlocs in your party and multiplying it by your day. So 4 gearlocs on day 4 means 16 poins. You would take three 5 point baddies and a 1 point baddie and fight them. There are about 5 different baddie types and each Tyrant uses only 2-3 types so it mixes up what you face each time. One might be just orcs, another might be scaled creatures, beats, and fungus/swamp beings. It varies a good deal.

It is called Too Many Bones because most dice have crossbones on it. They are essentially misses but if you get enough of them you can trigger special powers or permanently make your gearloc slightly better with your innate ability. Patches is a medic, can use that to heal while another character can use it to get stones to range attack and another use it to get axes to do good damage.

While it isn't flashy in one sense but all the components are super nice and stands out on the table. Another nice feature is your health is visual. You use red poker chips stacked below your gearloc chip to show how much health you have. Same with all the baddies. It creates a nice visual effect and since the chips are nice quality, it feels good in your hands.

After the battle is done, you get your rewards or compensations. You can hold 4 items, you can trade items, you can heal, you can try to pick a lock (special Trove card and you roll special dice in its own little mini-game). But you are limited what you can do. Then you flip over the next day and repeat it over.

I was standoff-ish at first but then I played it at PAX Unplugged and bought the base game with 2 gearlocs at the event and haven't looked back.

Here's the offerings...
  • Base game TMB gives you about 5 Tyrants (bosses, might be 7) and four heroes. There are separate solo cards but most people play with two gearlocs (heroes) when playing Solo.
  • Undertow is a standalone expansion that most people jump on as an entry point since it is cheaper and isn't as big of an investment. I don't know how many Tyrants but gives you 2 new gearlocs (one is a bard)to play that can be combined with the previous version.
  • You can buy expansion gearlocs that gives you everything you need to play them (character chip, a bunch of dice, mat, character details). Each one plays completely different. Like Gasket is a hyrdo robot that doesn't exact dice but needs water to function with you have to maintain.
  • Age of Tyranny and 30 Days expansions add more content two the game such as more baddies, more adventure cards to change up days, boons/scars, and a way to connect multiple sessions into one long campaign to kill 7 tyrants. Campaign is not compatible with Undertow which is its own campaign I believe, don't have it.
  • There is an Adventure Map that is purely for show that let's you have a visual representation of your progress instead of just counting. Does nothing else.
  • There are premium health tokens but they are just slightly nicer than the health tokens the game already comes with.
  • Chip trays, but you could buy cheap chip trays online which I was going to do before they announced the Trove.
I have TMB, Gasket, Nugget (said to be a good solo player), Age of Tyranny, and 30 Days. I'll be getting Undertow with this KS. If you are really unsure, look into Undertow as an entry point. If you are going to Origins, they will be there and seek them out to try it.

Gearlocs types
BASE
  • Healer
  • Shield/tank
  • Bomber thrower
  • Berserker
Undertow
  • Bard
  • ???
Expansions
  • Hyrdo-mech
  • All-around fighter
  • Ranger with pets/companions
  • Techy/robot/drone builder

There is also a growing Facebook group that you could ask to join and see if anybody is local to show you it. I warn you, they are so in love with the game that you might get caught up in their hype. They've made a number of 3d printed supplies for the game like color coated gearloc trays that hold all their dice.

Sorry for the wall of text but hopefully that helps you out.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of wingspan over the weekend 2 player. On reflection I';m not that impressed.
Do love the arty style and my partner and I love birds so its a keeper for that.
Hope an expansion opens it up a bit more.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Aeon's End has really replaced Thunderstone for me. My wife and I just got through 3 chapters of AE: Legacy and we're really enjoying it so far. Looking to pre-order "back" the New Age one.

I was actually talking to a friend who's a huge TQ fan with me how much we'd love a Thunderstone Quest Legacy. I like the idea of Quest having a story but my friend and I stopped reading it since the gameplay felt very disconnected from the story we were reading.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played a bit of wingspan over the weekend 2 player. On reflection I';m not that impressed.
Do love the arty style and my partner and I love birds so its a keeper for that.
Hope an expansion opens it up a bit more.
It can be a little shallow but still a nice play.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly the game I had in mind. I like Lacerda's games, but it's laughable that EGG wants $140 for Escape Plan because they want Kickstarter people to feel special.
What? $140 is their MSRP with the KS upgrade kit (which is mostly superficial). You can often get EGG games at discount after they go retails and a lot of time save even more because their game box are so huge most e-tailers just clear them out after a year. The Gallerist, Vinhos were at $54 at one point and mostly go for around $60-80. I am sure it will be the same for Escape Plan once it get retail release. You only paying $140 if you want it now which I don't know why it's the fault of KS people you could have back it and still over pay for it and feel "special" like KS people.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
What? $140 is their MSRP with the KS upgrade kit (which is mostly superficial). You can often get EGG games at discount after they go retails and a lot of time save even more because their game box are so huge most e-tailers just clear them out after a year. The Gallerist, Vinhos were at $54 at one point and mostly go for around $60-80. I am sure it will be the same for Escape Plan once it get retail release. You only paying $140 if you want it now which I don't know why it's the fault of KS people you could have back it and still over pay for it and feel "special" like KS people.

It's part of their MAPP policy where retailers/partners are not allowed to lower their price below the $140 until 90 days after all KS backers have received their copy (thus the comment I made). And those days of getting those games at those prices are over, as EGG has capped the allowable discount retailers can offer. Go ahead and look at most OLGS. Most are out of stock, and will only be able to sell EGG games for marginal discounts going forward.

Edit: Found the Reddit post for receipts:

Last edited: