• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Fucking hate kickstarter more and more. It also sucks going to Origins, Gencon, etc and trying out a cool game or such "cool when is it out?" "It's going to be on kickstarter in...."

Fuck
I mean there are some legit cases too, Warehouse 13 is based off a show that's been off air for years and couldn't get a general run because of it. The game had a reasonable price and they didn't do stretch goals(there is a single bonus character for the Kickstarter run but that's it) and if the license doesn't expire due to the production delays they'd like to do an expansion on Kickstarter later this year with a second printing of the first game(adds a new antagonist/deck and 2 new playable characters) so time will tell

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine said it is D&D 4th Edition-lite. Maybe that is? I haven't played that.

It is a dice builder that you go on adventures and fight baddies. It sort of strips away the visual of the board and super-detailed minis and gives you really nicely made mats, dice, and poker chips. It is about the actions and choices. The art isn't a huge deal because you only really see your own character on your mat but you are staring at their chips that only have heads/faces.

All their components are super nice. Stitched neoprene mats, card tuck boxes, dice holders/trays with lids, chip holders in the insert...this is all standard with their products. They also don't sell at retail so you either do from their store, at convention, or KS.

How TMB works is you pick a tyrant, shuffle their encounter cards in with a certain amount of regular encounter cards (each tyrant has a different game length so different number of cards used) and add the Day 1-3 on top. Object is to kill the tyrant. You can only fight it if you make enough progress via progress points. Each Day typically has one progress point attached to it, a few don't. So on Day 1 you flip over the card and you read the story/flavor text and decide what to do. Most cards give you at least two options and let you know what the rewards are. It could be to not fight, fight, fight with different challenges/conditions, or sometimes literal dexterity tests (one has you flicking one of your dice between two poker chips to see if you get hurt on a catapult or not, easier said than done) to pass the day.

If you fight, you pull out the battleground mat which has slots for up to 4 monsters and 4 gearlocs. I believe it is a 4x5 spaced grid. Each gearloc die is rolled to determine initiative and baddies have set ones and you arrange their order on the mat (there is a cool cut-out on the side that is the order). Then you fight. Baddies can move two and then attack. Each chip has their attack value, who they target and health. Gearlocs can only do things based on their Dexterity. Dex is essentially action points. You can use one to move but then you can roll fewer dice. But you move or not first then decide which dice to roll and then hit your target or do your action. The characters are significantly different and have their own player aid that tells you what all their unlockable dice can do. It even gives you recommendations on what to level up if you are new. Skill dice you unlock are exhausted after you use them but you always have attack dice and defense dice you have access to every round unless something bad happens.

The baddie system is kind of cool. They come in 1 point, 5 point, and 20 point (Undertow has 3 points but that is special occasion). You determine a baddie pool by taking the number of gearlocs in your party and multiplying it by your day. So 4 gearlocs on day 4 means 16 poins. You would take three 5 point baddies and a 1 point baddie and fight them. There are about 5 different baddie types and each Tyrant uses only 2-3 types so it mixes up what you face each time. One might be just orcs, another might be scaled creatures, beats, and fungus/swamp beings. It varies a good deal.

It is called Too Many Bones because most dice have crossbones on it. They are essentially misses but if you get enough of them you can trigger special powers or permanently make your gearloc slightly better with your innate ability. Patches is a medic, can use that to heal while another character can use it to get stones to range attack and another use it to get axes to do good damage.

While it isn't flashy in one sense but all the components are super nice and stands out on the table. Another nice feature is your health is visual. You use red poker chips stacked below your gearloc chip to show how much health you have. Same with all the baddies. It creates a nice visual effect and since the chips are nice quality, it feels good in your hands.

After the battle is done, you get your rewards or compensations. You can hold 4 items, you can trade items, you can heal, you can try to pick a lock (special Trove card and you roll special dice in its own little mini-game). But you are limited what you can do. Then you flip over the next day and repeat it over.

I was standoff-ish at first but then I played it at PAX Unplugged and bought the base game with 2 gearlocs at the event and haven't looked back.

Here's the offerings...
  • Base game TMB gives you about 5 Tyrants (bosses, might be 7) and four heroes. There are separate solo cards but most people play with two gearlocs (heroes) when playing Solo.
  • Undertow is a standalone expansion that most people jump on as an entry point since it is cheaper and isn't as big of an investment. I don't know how many Tyrants but gives you 2 new gearlocs (one is a bard)to play that can be combined with the previous version.
  • You can buy expansion gearlocs that gives you everything you need to play them (character chip, a bunch of dice, mat, character details). Each one plays completely different. Like Gasket is a hyrdo robot that doesn't exact dice but needs water to function with you have to maintain.
  • Age of Tyranny and 30 Days expansions add more content two the game such as more baddies, more adventure cards to change up days, boons/scars, and a way to connect multiple sessions into one long campaign to kill 7 tyrants. Campaign is not compatible with Undertow which is its own campaign I believe, don't have it.
  • There is an Adventure Map that is purely for show that let's you have a visual representation of your progress instead of just counting. Does nothing else.
  • There are premium health tokens but they are just slightly nicer than the health tokens the game already comes with.
  • Chip trays, but you could buy cheap chip trays online which I was going to do before they announced the Trove.
I have TMB, Gasket, Nugget (said to be a good solo player), Age of Tyranny, and 30 Days. I'll be getting Undertow with this KS. If you are really unsure, look into Undertow as an entry point. If you are going to Origins, they will be there and seek them out to try it.

Gearlocs types
BASE
  • Healer
  • Shield/tank
  • Bomber thrower
  • Berserker
Undertow
  • Bard
  • ???
Expansions
  • Hyrdo-mech
  • All-around fighter
  • Ranger with pets/companions
  • Techy/robot/drone builder

There is also a growing Facebook group that you could ask to join and see if anybody is local to show you it. I warn you, they are so in love with the game that you might get caught up in their hype. They've made a number of 3d printed supplies for the game like color coated gearloc trays that hold all their dice.

Sorry for the wall of text but hopefully that helps you out.

This is an INCREDIBLE write up

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I FINALLY received the replacement parts from Cephalofair for my copy of Gloomhaven... after a wait of 9 months(!) and multiple emails to customer support. I had quite a few of the modular boards that were very badly scratched from manufacturing.

So I think I'll start a solo campaign. I'm pretty excited to begin!

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
These KS are just ridiculous

It's hard for sure. I'm a completionist, like to have all expansions and stuff for a game. I do end up taking a second or third look at a kickstarter I'm interested in when the all-in pledge is 100, 150, even higher, since I can't spend that amount of money on the hope that the game is good, and that it would get played, not just sit on the shelf.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's part of their MAPP policy where retailers/partners are not allowed to lower their price below the $140 until 90 days after all KS backers have received their copy (thus the comment I made). And those days of getting those games at those prices are over, as EGG has capped the allowable discount retailers can offer. Go ahead and look at most OLGS. Most are out of stock, and will only be able to sell EGG games for marginal discounts going forward.

Edit: Found the Reddit post for receipts:

Sound like a good policy to me. If you want people to help fund your product then you need to make sure that backers get all their shit and not seeing games at retails or online for 20-30% off before the backer even get theirs. It's one of the reason I still back their stuffs and they don't do KS exclusive garbage that CMON do.

As for MAPP policy that has nothing to do with KS backer that is what Asmodee started and now everyone is adopting it because well people willing to pay $400 for 7th Continent or preorder and prepaid $350 for Bloodborne. I don't agree with MAPP which is essentially price control but until people stop letting company do stupid anti-consumer stuffs then it will just keep happening. Also by the same token why would anyone back their games for $99 when MM or CSI sell them for $54.

Last edited:

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess I'm not the target market for these KS games anymore. I just can't justify spending that kind of money especially with the Canadian exchange rate. The all in TMB is $700? Even games like altar quest is $145 plus shipping. The hobby just seems to be moving out of my comfortable price range.

Yep, Canadian exchange rate really doesn't help matters.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, looking for suggestions, going on holiday with a group of 4 and looking for some travel sized board games to take (As in, stuff thats not going to take half the space up of bag). We have Codenames, Zombie Dice, Hero Realms, Tiny Epic Galaxies, Don't Mess With Cthulu and Hanabi already. The group likes Splendor a lot but Splendor's box is too big. I've heard interesting things about Century: Spice Road/Golem Edition which is quite similar, are those games travel sized? Any other possible suggestions for some good 4 player small sized board games to pick up? Got about a week to do so.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, looking for suggestions, going on holiday with a group of 4 and looking for some travel sized board games to take (As in, stuff thats not going to take half the space up of bag). We have Codenames, Zombie Dice, Hero Realms, Tiny Epic Galaxies, Don't Mess With Cthulu and Hanabi already. The group likes Splendor a lot but Splendor's box is too big. I've heard interesting things about Century: Spice Road/Golem Edition which is quite similar, are those games travel sized? Any other possible suggestions for some good 4 player small sized board games to pick up? Got about a week to do so.

I would look into these.. Citadels, Coup, Decrypto, Isle of Skye. Some of those play best with 5 but are good with four.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
  • Dungeon Roll - neat and short dungeon crawler with push your luck elements and dice. The manual is horrible tho, better look up videos.
  • Port Royal - there is a travel box but it's not much smaller I think? Base box is small enough.
  • Valley of Kings
  • Love Letter is an obvious one
  • Throw in Fluxx for some drinking fun ;)

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Race for the Galaxy is just a deck of cards and a few victory chits, so you could fit it in a small deck box (the game box itself is way too big for the game).

Sprawlopolis is a wallet-sized coop city-builder

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Century can be travel size if you don't take the box. It is just a large deck of tarot cards, a few coins, and 4 small bags of tokens.

If you can get Space Park, that is a really great reverse worker placement game. Truck Off is a fun little food track game where you send your trucks to different venus to make the most money (you can play cards to get double $ or shut things down). Antidote is one of my most played games which is a quick deduction game but might be better with more players (4-7). Bohanza is a classic.

Super quick but it has gotten a lot of play recently is Mini Diver City. It is like Hanabi but more actions and harder. There is a variant where someone can be the Corporations so that could add some more variety to that game on your trip.

Tortuga 1667 is another one that gets played a lot. It plays 2-9 players well. 2 players is more strategic but 9 players can be chaotic. Basically pirates trying to get the most gold for their team but you don't know who is on your team at the start of the game. A lot of cool event cards that can mess people over. Players control the length of the game by how often they pull event cards.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm packing up my board games for my upcoming midwestern move and can't help but feel they are a tremendous waste.

I have a library built for supplying groups across a variety of situations, but I could pare my collection down to maybe a dozen games that actually make sense for me to own personally (those I'd play with family, work well in social gatherings, or my absolute favorites). I'm likely to be playing in game stores and/or with experienced gamers with their own libraries for the foreseeable future, so the rest serve little purpose. Unfortunately, it's burdensome to sell games, even with board game math trades or at conventions.

(To be fair, I picked up most of these to supply my local gaming group and they've all been played at least once, so I have derived some value from them -- it's not like they're backlogged games in shrink.)

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The Great Heartland Hauling Company is very neat small box game. It's pick up and deliver with card play similar to Ticket to Ride, really easy to get into and there are different ways to set up the "board" (done with cards) for variability.

It's also pretty cheap right now, that game used to be OOP and sell for a lot.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada

I would second love letter and add Welcome to your dream home

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
  • Dungeon Roll - neat and short dungeon crawler with push your luck elements and dice. The manual is horrible tho, better look up videos.
  • Port Royal - there is a travel box but it's not much smaller I think? Base box is small enough.
  • Valley of Kings
  • Love Letter is an obvious one
  • Throw in Fluxx for some drinking fun ;)

I second Love Letter, it's perfect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm packing up my board games for my upcoming midwestern move and can't help but feel they are a tremendous waste.

I have a library built for supplying groups across a variety of situations, but I could pare my collection down to maybe a dozen games that actually make sense for me to own personally (those I'd play with family, work well in social gatherings, or my absolute favorites). I'm likely to be playing in game stores and/or with experienced gamers with their own libraries for the foreseeable future, so the rest serve little purpose. Unfortunately, it's burdensome to sell games, even with board game math trades or at conventions.

(To be fair, I picked up most of these to supply my local gaming group and they've all been played at least once, so I have derived some value from them -- it's not like they're backlogged games in shrink.)

Where Midwest are you moving? Chicago area? Hit me up maybe I'll buy some ha

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So I got lucky. Found someone who Kickstarted the game but is now moving across the country from Long Island to L.A.

Only asked for $300 to deliver it. I just opened and checked everything. Damn I'm glad I posted on Reddit.

I'm excited to dig into this over the weekend.

kABnYh2_d.jpg

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Found another example of Kickstarter pricing stuff. Tidal Blades pledge manager is closing in a day, I've been thinking about it, but all in (Deluxe + expansion) shipped to Canada comes to $131 USD ($175 CAD). Absolutely not worth it to me at that price.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Stellaris got a BGG page with an interesting description: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/281647/stellaris

"Academy Games introduces the 4X board game based on the hit video game Stellaris.

Design your own burgeoning, starfaring race from dozens of Trait Cards. Customize your population by choosing a Government Type, and Ethics Cards that influence how you interact with the galaxy. Any type of alien civilization you can imagine, you can play!

Lead your empire through fast-paced 2-hour games where each session progresses your empire through new ages so you can continue to expand your empire, advance your technology, face new challenges, tell new stories, and discover new game mechanics. Grow your empire through the eons over multiple games.

Time for a new empire? Abandon it and start a new one! The galaxy you play in can continue across an infinite number of games with stories that develop your unique galactic history. Even abandoned empires remain in the galaxy for new empires to encounter.

At any point new players can join the game. Difficulty auto-adjusts for empires in different eras with events and victory conditions that scale to accommodate empire levels.

Navigate through hundreds of stories told via Event Cards that merge together and spin off story intrigues and plotlines, weaving changes into the fabric of your empire, its traditions, and its goals. Event Cards offer you choices that may guide your empire's destiny, lead them to great discoveries, or unleash unexpected challenges.

A spectacular 4X experience like no other awaits you.

Look to the stars.

Explore
Discover new solar systems to explore, investigate strange space anomalies, meet aliens of every description, and hunt down the marvels of the universe.

Expand
Spread your empire across multiple worlds, upgrade your technology through a variable tech tree, develop your colonies with dozens of unlockable buildings, and manage your growing economic might by utilizing the game's different resources.

Exploit
Interact with player empires and non-player aliens through a robust diplomacy system that is influenced by your empire's Ethic Cards. Form federations, subjugate vassal states, assassinate leaders, sabotage planets, spread a religion, form trade pacts, become a tourist attraction, unleash pirates, and more...

Exterminate
Unlock ever larger ship classes, designing them with a set of modular tiles whose effects are made possible by the technologies you have invested in. Launch massive military campaigns against your enemies and occupy their planets or annihilate their worlds, their suns, and their solar systems."

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Asmodee Digital has finally gave a nice long look at the digital adaptation of Gloomhaven! Early Access is July 17th.

Here's the stream.

Oct 25, 2017
So I got lucky. Found someone who Kickstarted the game but is now moving across the country from Long Island to L.A.

Only asked for $300 to deliver it. I just opened and checked everything. Damn I'm glad I posted on Reddit.

I'm excited to dig into this over the weekend.

kABnYh2_d.jpg

Wow nice
I have just the base game (still haven't played) and regret not getting the rest cause it'll be so hard to find

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Asmodee Digital has finally gave a nice long look at the digital adaptation of Gloomhaven! Early Access is July 17th.

Here's the stream.

See, I have a problem with this

I have the physical copy, but haven't been able to convince my girlfriend to tackle it with me yet

If I get the digital copy, I'll ruin the story for myself and might definitely never end up playing the physical game.

I lose either way!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I gotta be honest, I sat there looking at all my games last weekend thinking that very thing. I've quite a lot of games that people enjoy but we tend to go back to the same 10 or so the most. It's making me consider some things.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So if you show up to a game night at a store and everyone is early in very long games, do you wait or just go home?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
So if you show up to a game night at a store and everyone is early in very long games, do you wait or just go home?
I wait for a while to see if anyone else comes. Otherwise I might go home. Why stick around if you aren't going to get in a game?

I gotta be honest, I sat there looking at all my games last weekend thinking that very thing. I've quite a lot of games that people enjoy but we tend to go back to the same 10 or so the most. It's making me consider some things.
There are a lot of people on reddit recently sharing photos of their collection after purging a significant portion of their games. Personally, it can feel good to clear clutter from your shelves and get a little cash for some new stuff to try out.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I have the physical copy, but haven't been able to convince my girlfriend to tackle it with me yet

If I get the digital copy, I'll ruin the story for myself and might definitely never end up playing the physical game.

I lose either way!

So i think it's more of an adaptation instead of a strict digital port. I haven't fully watched it though.

Still, there will be a rogue lite mode. I'll be starting Gloomhaven next weekend though!

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
LttP: Clans of Caledonia

I found it at discount online, so I impulse bought it. I just played the solo variant to familiarize myself with the rules and it was pretty satisfying to play. My family is visiting next week, so I'm gonna try and get a game in then.

What do you guys think of the game? It's definitely not as heavy as I was led to believe.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I lose either way!
I thought the digital version is entirely it's own thing and not related to board game. I could be wrong as thing might have change since I have not been following it but I remember when they first announce that it wasn't going to be video game version of the board game. (I am at work and can't watch that video)

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the digital version is entirely it's own thing and not related to board game. I could be wrong as thing might have change since I have not been following it but I remember when they first announce that it wasn't going to be video game version of the board game. (I am at work and can't watch that video)
If it's the mechanics/idea of the board game but just like a roguelike game in totally on board again.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, I really have to stop looking up games I'm unfamiliar with. Here I am thinking of getting rid of a bunch of stuff and I watch the Dice Tower review of Too Many Bones and am considering getting some of it.

Also, the MGS game seems a bit expensive for what you get. License must have cost a good bit.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
After a lot of thought and consideration, I've decided to cancel my pledge for Space Invaders. I'm sure that I'd enjoy the game if I played it, but the big problem is that I'm probably gonna be the only one interested in playing it in the first place and that it'll just sit there going unplayed for a long time, and I already have too many games doing that right now. Maybe something will come along in the next week to make me re-pledge, but until then, I'm out.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the rules sound needlessly overcomplicated. Though I'm sure people will come up with modifications to the rules to make it more fun.

People have made some great player aids and a streamlined rulebook on BGG. This was the thing they were dinged on in reviews and when season two launched with no improvements they said it was fine and all they were fixing were typos and spelling errors. It left a bad taste in my mouth about them to be honest.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
People have made some great player aids and a streamlined rulebook on BGG. This was the thing they were dinged on in reviews and when season two launched with no improvements they said it was fine and all they were fixing were typos and spelling errors. It left a bad taste in my mouth about them to be honest.

And this is really unacceptable after Conan got dinged for the exact same issues.

Nov 13, 2017

They don't have a reason to improve if they are making money rain with these kickstarters

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, if you like anime and board games, Houkago Saikoro Club is getting an anime adaptation:

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Dammit, I really have to stop looking up games I'm unfamiliar with. Here I am thinking of getting rid of a bunch of stuff and I watch the Dice Tower review of Too Many Bones and am considering getting some of it.

Also, the MGS game seems a bit expensive for what you get. License must have cost a good bit.

I picked up Too Many Bones at UKGE and really enjoyed it. HOWEVER. It's complex as fuck for a co-op, it takes a decade to complete even the smallest Tyrant with 4 players and most players will get shat on in their first game. If you're ok to learn a very difficult but rewarding RPG dice game you'll enjoy it. :)

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Another Batman review by No Pun Included. Same kind of major criticism.

I believe the intentions are good. But there is a vision here that wasn't allowed to be compromised by things like usability. And I'm not even talking about the impenetrable rulebook.
And yes, there are fan-made reference sheets, abridged rulebooks, and promises that everything will be sorted out in the next printing. But while us enthusiasts love finding out extra resources on Board Game Geek, for every one of us there are about four people who have never been on that website. And with a minimum backer pledge of a 140 dollars, plus shipping, is it really too much to ask that the game come usable out of the box?

I thought about backing this game at some point, but didn't. And by the look of it, I would have ended up feeling pretty bad about spending this insane amount of money on it. At least the minis seem really cool.

Last edited: