• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the travel board game suggestions everyone, I picked up Antidote in the end. I like the deduction game concept of it and it doesn't seem too hard to pick up. I didn't mention it but I have Love Letter Batman and Adventure Time on hand already. Should be enough for the evenings.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Nice!

But.. that's a little expensive for my wallet. I'll have to wait for some more details before I can throw money at a screen so easily.

After a lot of thought and consideration, I've decided to cancel my pledge for Space Invaders. I'm sure that I'd enjoy the game if I played it, but the big problem is that I'm probably gonna be the only one interested in playing it in the first place and that it'll just sit there going unplayed for a long time, and I already have too many games doing that right now. Maybe something will come along in the next week to make me re-pledge, but until then, I'm out.

Canceled mine too. It just doesn't look fun to me. They really need to have designed this into a smaller, faster, more arcade style experience in my opinion.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody here remember Descent 2nd Ed.? I've owned the game for years, but only managed to find a semi regular playing group this year. Since I'm a sucker for ambience, it helped motivate me to finally start painting the minis.

img_20190610_142143_kekj3k.jpg

It's almost... compulsory. 😝 And yes, I once played Warhammer. Looking at alle the Kickstarter mini madness board games, there are some, I'd just like for the minis. Not that I'd ever get to play them properly. Joan of Arc is just insane and Massive Darkness rivals actual tabletop games in mini quality. A single round playing that one at a friends made me cautious however, since we didn't enjoy it too much.

Since I have hopes it may turn out to play well, I've backed Altar Quest. It'll complement Descent as purely cooperative game and scratch my mini itch. Even if the artwork and minis don't compare to the Cmon games or something like Joan of Arc.

Kerrick

Oct 28, 2017
About to move into my own place and I'd really like to own a few board games so I can call some friends.

I really have no experience, I think the last board game I played was War and game of life a decade or so ago which I'm not even sure is considered a board game.

Can you guys recommend me some gateway ones? Preferably simpler ones on the party side

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Can you guys recommend me some gateway ones? Preferably simpler ones on the party side

Codenames for larger groups who like to riddle a bit. It's played in two competing teams and works great for 6-10 people. Higher player count, because one person of each team must give hints to the team, trying to figure out what the person meant.

Jungle Speed as a quick reaction game that can easily occupy 4 to 8 players. Tarantel Tango follows the same basic design template and can also be hilarious.

Fore more detailed descriptions, I'd recommend looking these up on YouTube.

None of these are strictly board games though as in, they don't have a game board. But in a party context with non board gamers, that's not a bad thing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
About to move into my own place and I'd really like to own a few board games so I can call some friends.

I really have no experience, I think the last board game I played was War and game of life a decade or so ago which I'm not even sure is considered a board game.

For a party atmosphere with a larger group I'd recommend

Just One: a coop party game where one person has their eyes close, everyone else has to write a one word clue that'll hint them to the secret word, but if any two clues are the same you have to erase them. Can support up to 8 players

Deception Murder in Hong Kong: a social deduction who done it game where one player is secretly a murder and is trying to lead the other investigators to convict the wrong person. With the expansion it can play up to 15 people extremely well.

Wits and wagers: The ultimate trivia game that is a mix of trivia and gambling. All the answers are in number form and you try to get the closest answer without going over, but after everyone puts out their answers everyone gets to bet on what they think the correct answer is. If you play in teams it can support an infinite number of players.

Say Anything: this game replaces apples to apples, it's the same concept but you get to write the answer, then everyone bets on what the judge for the round picked. It's a fantastic ice breaker game.

I'll also second codenames as a fantastic party game for a group

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Codenames, Sushi Go Party, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf/Werewords are great choices for party-ish games.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Don't really play party games myself but here are my recommendations

Codenames is very simple, very fun, and quick. One of the few party games I'm always willing to play. Up to 8 players split into two teams has a leader from each team giving clues to try and guess the right card that has your teams agent in the field. You could potentially reveal your rivals agent and automatically end your turn, reveal an assassin that loses your team the game and a civilian which ends your turn.

Pandemic is still one of my favorite games for people new to modern board games. Despite this video, there are 3 expansions but anyway. It's very easy to learn and very fun. It's fully co-op too which is something people don't realize. I like to show this game because it gives people a way to learn about roles, working together, and has varying difficulty levels that really make it fun. 1-4 players or 5 with expansions. Each player takes a different role card that gives you different special abilities such as building a free research center anywhere or curing a disease with less cards. There are four diseases that the players are trying to cure before the world is a contaminated mess.

The Quest for El Dorado is an excellent game. It combines deck building and racing in such a great theme. Very easy to learn, variable set up, and great at all player counts especially 2. You draw cards from your deck on your turn, you can use it to move hexes or buy new cards from the card marketplace which can improve your deck. Players can block other players and force you to go around or through a location that requires more from you or maybe you decide to buy cards. It's very easy and takes 5 minutes to learn and teach. Excellent entry level game but something I still bring out for people to play because it's just so fun and quick to set up.

Lords of Waterdeep is a good game but the expansion takes a good game and makes it a great game. I think the base game itself is great for new players and good at showing what a worker placement game is and how they work. You're taking turns, assigning agents, completing quests, hiring party members that can be used for quests or making new buildings. The expansion adds a lot more to do but since you're new I would suggest just the base game itself. It's very easy to learn despite how it looks. If you snag both at a cheap price, more power to you. Great games, I don't play them as much nowadays but I do once in awhile.

Azul is an excellent game for all skill types. It's abstract but basically you're building floor tiles (?) but the puzzle is so much fun. Each player is taking turns getting tiles from these circular cardboard tokens or the factory floor. The trick is, you take all same color tiles from one spot at once and if it doesn't you're going to lose points. I'm doing a bad job of explaining it but seriously watch the video I linked. It's so damn simple and such a clean design. Great game and can easily be found for under $30. Probably the fastest set up time too.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody here remember Descent 2nd Ed.? I've owned the game for years, but only managed to find a semi regular playing group this year. Since I'm a sucker for ambience, it helped motivate me to finally start painting the minis.

They're fab. I've been playing a bit of Descent recently too. My local group got into Imperial Assault last year due to the coop mode but we've moved onto Descent due to folk generally liking the setting more. Love that all the models have a real variety of colours despite being the same sculpt.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So I finished playing the first 3 games of my Gloomhaven solo campaign. It was my first times playing the game. All 3 games were attempts at clearing the first scenario (using the official adjusted difficulty for solo play).

What an absolute delight this game is! I wasn't exactly sure during the first two games as I was still learning the rules as well as the card decks of my two characters (Brute and Spellweaver). It didn't helped that I got absolutely steamrolled during those two attempts at clearing the first dungeon... let's make no mistake here, Gloomhaven is very hard and unforgiving. This is definitely not a gateway type of game. But in my third attempt, all the important mechanics and moving parts suddenly clicked in my head, and I actually cleared the scenario very successfully.

I love it! The deck building part is very clever and really highlights the fact that each move is important and does make a difference (good or bad) in the final outcome of the game. And solo play definitely works really well. Very impressive!

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished playing the first 3 games of my Gloomhaven solo campaign. It was my first times playing the game. All 3 games were attempts at clearing the first scenario (using the official adjusted difficulty for solo play).

What an absolute delight this game is! I wasn't exactly sure during the first two games as I was still learning the rules as well as the card decks of my two characters (Brute and Spellweaver). It didn't helped that I got absolutely steamrolled during those two attempts at clearing the first dungeon... let's make no mistake here, Gloomhaven is very hard and unforgiving. This is definitely not a gateway type of game. But in my third attempt, all the important mechanics and moving parts suddenly clicked in my head, and I actually cleared the scenario very successfully.

I love it! The deck building part is very clever and really highlights the fact that each move is important and does make a difference (good or bad) in the final outcome of the game. And solo play definitely works really well. Very impressive!
The hand management in Gloomhaven is so soooo good. It's really the best part of the game for me.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lords of Waterdeep is a good game but the expansion takes a good game and makes it a great game. I think the base game itself is great for new players and good at showing what a worker placement game is and how they work. You're taking turns, assigning agents, completing quests, hiring party members that can be used for quests or making new buildings. The expansion adds a lot more to do but since you're new I would suggest just the base game itself. It's very easy to learn despite how it looks. If you snag both at a cheap price, more power to you. Great games, I don't play them as much nowadays but I do once in awhile.

I can't second this hard enough. I played it for the first time last weekend and loved it. Even my gf, who's not super into competitive strategy games, loved it. there's an element of hurting other players but it's a fairly light and never super mean. It's not going to start fights. When we were done I immediately ordered the expansion.

On that note, I'm looking for more D&D themes games. Anyone have any opinions on Assault of the Giants or Betrayal at Balders Gate?

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
They're fab. I've been playing a bit of Descent recently too. My local group got into Imperial Assault last year due to the coop mode but we've moved onto Descent due to folk generally liking the setting more. Love that all the models have a real variety of colours despite being the same sculpt.

I've never been following boardgames too closely and only recently learned about Imperial Assault reimplementing the Descent mechanics. Maybe I'm just suffering Star Wars fatigue, but the thought of playing something like Descent with Star Wars characters leaves me completely cold. Could be because I've had my Star Wars fandom phase around 1998-2000 already, but something about the whacky Descent monsters and characters just seems more desirable for me in a boardgame. Painting Star Wars characters also seems boring to me, maybe because there are very specific visual templates set for them by the movies or maybe by the "semi-realistic" style of the movies. Just like I've never been drawn to historic battle tabletops but relished the Warhammer minis...

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to learn it some day. The Rulebook is scary as hell.
Just watch YouTube video by Ricky Royal. You will get it in no time. Yes the rules and be obtuse at time especially combat.

I can't second this hard enough. I played it for the first time last weekend and loved it. Even my gf, who's not super into competitive strategy games, loved it. there's an element of hurting other players but it's a fairly light and never super mean. It's not going to start fights. When we were done I immediately ordered the expansion.

On that note, I'm looking for more D&D themes games. Anyone have any opinions on Assault of the Giants or Betrayal at Balders Gate?

Assault of the Giants I never play but it got lukewarm reception, Betrayal at Balder's Gate is D&D version of Betrayal at House on the Hills. It's OK but can be extremely random. I didn't care for the original and D&D theme didn't make it any better for me but my niece love it so I often played it with her. My go to D&D theme is Tyrants of the Underdark. It's area control, route connection (think train game like TTR) and deck-building with D&D theme on top. It's my favorite deck-building to play at convention and at MeetUp where majority of my friend detest deck-building game but willing to play this one.

Last edited:

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017

I sold off Assault of the Giants. It was okay but just not great. I really think that some of the races were quite unbalanced.

The best D&D game I think is Tyrants of the Underdark. If you like deckbuilders and area control, it's an excellent game. The component quality isn't great but the game itself is.

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone back Sorcerer City?
I'm interested in it and see I can still late pledge. It was due in jan and looks way behind though

I've never late pledge before . Does that mean if I late pledge mine will also ship out with all the kick starters?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Has anyone else kept mixing up the names Elder Sign and Elden Ring? Keep wanting to call the latter Elden Sign :X

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Did anyone back Sorcerer City?
I'm interested in it and see I can still late pledge. It was due in jan and looks way behind though

I've never late pledge before . Does that mean if I late pledge mine will also ship out with all the kick starters?

I did. Yeah it's super late and will be the last game of theirs I back- it's not even in production yet meaning that if you late back now you'll likely get the copy at the same time as every other backer.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't had any luck elsewhere so figured I'd ask, if anyone has the pledge manager for Nemesis open, could you help me out? Anywhere in Austin, Dallas or Houston I could do local pickup if possible

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Now that base 7th Continent has finally arrived, and I've learnt the rules and am gearing up for my first session with my group; kind of regretting not backing the expansions too.
I hope they make them available somehow in the future.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Now that base 7th Continent has finally arrived, and I've learnt the rules and am gearing up for my first session with my group; kind of regretting not backing the expansions too.
I hope they make them available somehow in the future.
There should be a small quantity of product made available on their website next month. They said they'd put up a KS update when it was happening. After that, I believe it will only be available on the secondary market. I'm pretty sure they said a few times that this was going to be their last printing, and they were moving on to another game with the same system (hopefully tweaked a little).

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who has been thinking about getting Gloomhaven, Miniature Market has it on The Drop. It's currently $88.35, but it will go down 7% every day until it sells out. Worth keeping an eye on if you've been looking for it!

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a small quantity of product made available on their website next month. They said they'd put up a KS update when it was happening. After that, I believe it will only be available on the secondary market. I'm pretty sure they said a few times that this was going to be their last printing, and they were moving on to another game with the same system (hopefully tweaked a little).

I think this extra stuff they have will go very quickly. I bet there will be lots of disappointed people in the end. We shall see..

KJ869

Oct 27, 2017
Shipping to Australia for an All-In is only $46.10. That's roughly the same as the estimated shipping during the campaign. I'm guessing the shipping is higher for some territories as a result of the US tariffs and Brexit.
Shipping for Core was estimated as 35 to europe. Pledge manager is 57, so 62% higher and there has been Nothing that affects our postage

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The main expansion even has a little letter in it saying this is it for 7th continent and thanking people for their patience. It also says the next game is another adventure game but that's it. So yeah, if anyone wants it they better get it when they go up on the site. I imagine the prices of it all will shoot up once they're gone.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Tomorrow is gonna be a massive sleeve day, need to finish sleeving legendary marvel, then sleeve 7th continent (again -.-) and expansions. I'm pretty sure I got one of the borked copies that needs to be replaced.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Was able to play a few chapters of the Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth game with some friends. Overall we liked the game even though we failed every chapter by just a hair. At first we were bummed because we thought we would have to redo the entire chapter again but we found out the game dynamically changes based on if we succeed or not, which was really nice. I think the main factor for us failing was that we weren't used to all the rules yet and we tended to forget about character and item skills that we had in our inventory. I think next play session will be better. Also if you can, get the official game mat for it, I bought mine at launch and it's really nice, it adds a lot to the thematics.

My only negative so far is that the maps are a bit lacking, so far it's been woods and some ruins, however I'm assuming that will be remediated with future support from FFG with expansions and add-ons. I would love to see Mirkwood, Misty Mountain and Moria for sure.

Also, has anyone played Star Wars Outer Rim yet?
I'm back and forth on it, I really enjoy the Outer Rim theme of Star Wars but I'm waiting to hear more impressions before I jump in.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The main expansion even has a little letter in it saying this is it for 7th continent and thanking people for their patience. It also says the next game is another adventure game but that's it. So yeah, if anyone wants it they better get it when they go up on the site. I imagine the prices of it all will shoot up once they're gone.
I'm curious if they are planning on still having a huge game like this given all the headaches it caused them.
I also wonder if they are going to aim to get the next one on store shelves.

either way I own way to much 7th continent now :P

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of disapointed with the delay it will probably lead to, but the amount of work they end up putting into BattleCON Unleashed with what will pretty much mean an entire reprint of all the existing cards/hero, all of that for the sake of ease of play/rule clarity is impressive to say the least.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm curious if they are planning on still having a huge game like this given all the headaches it caused them.
I also wonder if they are going to aim to get the next one on store shelves.

either way I own way to much 7th continent now :P

I assume they've learned a lot on what works and doesn't work.

Rumor is their next game is a sci-fi version of 7th Continent but that's all just a rumor.

Still, I'm LOVING this game and will be backing day one. I'm so glad I got it. I'll probably try to get a second one for a friend. Hopefully the store will have more than enough. I imagine everything will be gone really fast.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they've learned a lot on what works and doesn't work.

Rumor is their next game is a sci-fi version of 7th Continent but that's all just a rumor.

Still, I'm LOVING this game and will be backing day one. I'm so glad I got it. I'll probably try to get a second one for a friend. Hopefully the store will have more than enough. I imagine everything will be gone really fast.
I got my game in the first wave, so when they reopened things I just said screw it and bought everything lol.
also means I have a second set of base cards to replace my originals and do something with my originals.

either way I will have to find time to play it. I tried the first curse but didn't get to the end.
I've heard the second curse is actually a better starting spot.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I got my game in the first wave, so when they reopened things I just said screw it and bought everything lol.
also means I have a second set of base cards to replace my originals and do something with my originals.

either way I will have to find time to play it. I tried the first curse but didn't get to the end.

I need to really jump on this to see if I am going to keep it. Curse 1 made me bounce off it really hard.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I've only played The Crystals Song curse. Apparently it's the best for a first timer. Taking it to a friends place this weekend so I can get a better handle on the rules and show her.

I still mess up some stuff like hunting, when to discard a card and such.

But the sense of exploration, it's unmatched in any board game. I love it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I need to really jump on this to see if I am going to keep it. Curse 1 made me bounce off it really hard.
I was enjoying it well enough but then it just kept going.
I've only played The Crystals Song curse. Apparently it's the best for a first timer. Taking it to a friends place this weekend so I can get a better handle on the rules and show her.

I still mess up some stuff like hunting, when to discard a card and such.

But the sense of exploration, it's unmatched in any board game. I love it.
I will likely try that one when i find time then :P