• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Talking Kickstarter. Am getting Europe Divided. A little company and a huge labour of love. It ends really soon but I urge folks to check it out.

A cold war boardgame between NATO, EU and Russia.

It's getting great write ups and looks like one you get a couple of games in to be a real tense tactical game.

And no minis!

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked too closely at Europe Dividee but I gotta admit the theme is off-putting, if only because it seems to be based on too much current stupid/upsetting stuff happening globally.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, though, I like historical / "edutainment" games a lot. I just haven't really understood what they're trying to say with that game.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't get me wrong, though, I like historical / "edutainment" games a lot. I just haven't really understood what they're trying to say with that game.

A great review. Basically a fast, tight and strategic game themed around actual events.

Watching I get a sense of it being fun once you get a real feel of the strategy and cards. That and it's not overly complicated is something I can get behind.

Am not going to delve into the politics too much, however it will be interesting to see what real events are in the cards.

Should be good

Oct 25, 2017
Game shop in Milwaukee is having a location moving sale. 30% off everything in the store.

I picked up, The Castles of Burgundy, Cytosis, and The Palace of Mad King Ludwig.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Hard pass on Middara. Cannot stomach the artstyle.

I just looked it up and yeah, I really don't like it either.

One thing I really like from Gloomhaven is the character art. Whether the character is a man or a woman, everything looks so varied and interesting. While with Middara, it's just the same old tired trope of having all the female characters with their boobs out and barely any pants. It's 2019... they need to do better than that.

And a minimum of $275 + shipping for the complete package? Kickstarters games can be insanely expensive...

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Altar Quest campaign just ended. Really hope the game plays great, because with the sheer amount of different factions and environmental tokens unlocked as stretch goal, it could make for so many entertaining dungeon runs.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't back Altar Quest (I backed out because of Middara), but the Sadler's are great thematic game designers. Can't wait to get my hands on Street Masters. They pack a ton of variety in all their designs and the cater to solo board game crowd too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I love imperial assault, I just don't have the people to play it with :(

Also severely hoping we get the "it's on its way to the states" message for warehouse 13 next week

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Played a bunch of Space Base over Eid holiday, it's a less elegant but more fun Machi Koro. Got close to winning twice but never actually won.

Also played Orleans and I liked it a lot. It's way lighter and accessible than it seemed.

Oh and played Between Two Cities, pretty solid and easy to get into.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I recently got A Game of Thrones LCG (3x core sets) and I'm just playing on my own to work out what the rules are.

I played Martell vs Night's Watch, and while Martell has some great character cards (Doran Martell, Red Viper), The night's watch's The Wall card is super OP, 2 Power each round and Martell's only shot is to get a card that removes locations.

I also played The Castles of Burgundy card game, and while I have the board game, I haven't played that yet, but the card game is really fun and very portable, I recommend people check that out.

D91KyD3U0AA-8Fc

D91KyD4U4AAc4v6

Finally I picked up a few games in the last couple of weeks due to sales. Cacao (my only other tile laying game is Carcasonne). Concordia Venus, got a really good deal on Amazon.co.uk that was too hard to pass up. Troyes, another deal, and I love the art work in this, I didn't realise the game was a bit like Caylus. Game of Thones LCG Wolves of the North - I'm slowly grabbing a few of the deluxe expansions, I don't know if I'll get them all, but I'll definitely get Lannister, and maybe Night's Watch, Baratheon.

Also Arkham Horror LCG Core Set is really hard!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'd never heard of this and looked up some videos of it and the expansion. I now have a copy arriving Thursday. It looks really cool, and the first expansion looks like a fantastic addition. I just want to make sure I like it before backing the new one.

Funny, I just bought it a few months ago myself. I can't believe it flew under my radar. The game is custom made for myself and my group. The first expansion is *super* good. Basically, in the base game you are rolling up some D&D characters. The expansion adds monsters to fight with the characters you all created. Such a simple idea, but it makes the game into something entirely new.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Big Dice Throne news yesterday: The upcoming Kickstarter that is a new co-op variant of the game will also have a remastered version of Season One as an add-on that will bring it up to spec with Season Two. It will have a version with a Battle Chest purchasable as well. They have responded quite a bit saying that plans for a remastered S1 were down the road but I guess they decided now was the right time.

I watched some videos of Gizmos last night and it looks like a lot of fun. The comparisons to Splendor immediately made me start paying attention. Here's hoping that the edition listed for pre-order on Amazon releasing next week is the new Second Edition with the plastic marble dispenser, because I'll buy it if so.

I also watched a lot of videos of a game that has been on my wishlist for a long time: Quantum. Unfortunately I think I've waited too long to try to get it. I know it's been OOP for a while but prices are hitting crazy levels. First Edition non-revised copies with the old shitty dice are at relatively decent levels still but I don't particularly want a copy that has dice which have a melty oily feeling to them and have warped sides.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
seems there will be a new 7th continent game hitting kickstarter next year. and for those who missed out they half lied about the 7th continent not being available in the future.

For months now, we've been receiving daily an influx of messages asking if The 7th Continent will be available again in the future, as well as alerting us about the rampant speculation on the subject on the second-hand market.

Given the cost of producing the game, it still isn't feasible to offer a version that can be distributed via traditional means. However, we have thought long and hard about if it really wasn't possible to propose it to these players that only discovered Kickstarter, or board gaming in general, too late to take part in the campaigns. Of course, this would have to be a more "limited" version of the game and one that would be sold directly in order to maintain an "acceptable" price point.

By excluding all the "Kickstarter Exclusive" content (plastic figures, exclusive cards, magnifying glass, etc.) and only keeping the "essential" components of the game, we've managed to assemble a "Classic Edition" that will be release in the 4th Quarter, in English and French.

that being said if that post is accurate this version would be missing a lot of things as the kickstarter stuff added a ton of cards. (like we are talking this would have like 25% less cards)

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I didn't cave in to 7th Continent's aggressive FOMO preying, but now that almost 2 years have passed, I've also lost all interest in the game.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news about Dice Throne. I've really thought now was the time to redo season 1 since there are no new characters in the co-op expansion.

I'm glad people can get 7th Continent, even if it's in a pared down state, for the foreseeable future but I'll wait and see about 7th Citadel. I feel like one of these games is enough.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Well this is exciting! I'm glad people will have a chance to get it! Since it wasn't linked, here it is for people interested. If it manages to become available at a decent price, I would think the loss in content is more than fine. I wonder what their retail plans are, I would hope for them to follow Chip Theory Games and sell it directly but either way, it won't be kickstarter exclusive anymore which is great.

Just going to endorse this game and say I already have 10 plays since getting it. My friend loves it and plans on securing her own copy. It really is fantastic and I'll definitely be backing day one for 7th Citadel. Yes, it looks like a decent amount of stuff where taken out but if this is what it takes then I'm all for it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I didn't cave in to 7th Continent's aggressive FOMO preying, but now that almost 2 years have passed, I've also lost all interest in the game.
to be fair it seems like you still would have missed out on a ton of stuff including all the expansions.
Is 7th Continent as good as the hype surrounding it? I never had the chance to play it.
it's a game I don't regret backing but I can't recommend as a buy.
it's really neat, and basically a giant choose your own adventure and there isn't really anything out there quite like it board game wise.
that being said you can get similar experiences from video games
Well this is exciting! I'm glad people will have a chance to get it! Since it wasn't linked, here it is for people interested. If it manages to become available at a decent price, I would think the loss in content is more than fine. I wonder what their retail plans are, I would hope for them to follow Chip Theory Games and sell it directly but either way, it won't be kickstarter exclusive anymore which is great.

Just going to endorse this game and say I already have 10 plays since getting it. My friend loves it and plans on securing her own copy. It really is fantastic and I'll definitely be backing day one for 7th Citadel. Yes, it looks like a decent amount of stuff where taken out but if this is what it takes then I'm all for it.
I never saw the picture. It has more cards than I expected. I'm guessing they kept the extra curse as well that was originally considered kickstarter exclusive, but if they don't also print the expansions then you will still be missing a ton.
I'm curious at what price point that classic version will be. My guess would be 80-100.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm filling out my Too Many Bones survey and pondering whether I want to expand it with any of the other games that they make since I'm placing a big order anyway.

Does anyone have thoughts on Cloudspire, Hoplomachus or Triplock? There's also Game to pick a Game, but that looks a wee bit gimmicky.

Triplock in particular is intriguing me.

Last edited:

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
I'm filling out my Too Many Bones survey and pondering whether I want to expand it with any of the other games that they make since I'm placing a big order anyway.

Does anyone have thoughts on Cloudspire, Hoplomachus or Triplock? There's also Game to pick a Game, but that looks a wee bit gimmicky.

I wasn't a fan of Triplock. It looked really cool, but felt very luck based - the goals you draw to win the game can swing the game pretty heavily. And then it uses memory as a mechanic, so if you aren't a fan of games that rely on memory you may not like it.

We played it just once and then tossed it on the sell pile.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Altar Quest campaign just ended. Really hope the game plays great, because with the sheer amount of different factions and environmental tokens unlocked as stretch goal, it could make for so many entertaining dungeon runs.
It was an epic last few minutes in that campaign. Was quite good fun to stretch to the 620 at the last second.

Looking forward to picking this up next year

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I love 7th continent, happy that people will get even a more basic version of the game. Only board game I've ever played for 11 hours straight with a friend we didn't realize how much time had passed.

Oct 25, 2017
Big Dice Throne news yesterday: The upcoming Kickstarter that is a new co-op variant of the game will also have a remastered version of Season One as an add-on that will bring it up to spec with Season Two. It will have a version with a Battle Chest purchasable as well. They have responded quite a bit saying that plans for a remastered S1 were down the road but I guess they decided now was the right time.

I watched some videos of Gizmos last night and it looks like a lot of fun. The comparisons to Splendor immediately made me start paying attention. Here's hoping that the edition listed for pre-order on Amazon releasing next week is the new Second Edition with the plastic marble dispenser, because I'll buy it if so.

I also watched a lot of videos of a game that has been on my wishlist for a long time: Quantum. Unfortunately I think I've waited too long to try to get it. I know it's been OOP for a while but prices are hitting crazy levels. First Edition non-revised copies with the old shitty dice are at relatively decent levels still but I don't particularly want a copy that has dice which have a melty oily feeling to them and have warped sides.

When will the dice throne kick starter launch? I love that game

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

A friend had Triplock and sold it as he though it was one note trash. Cloudspire hasn't arrived with backers yet but from what I saw at UKGE I'm glad I backed it. No idea about Hoplomachus.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tentatively interested in Dice Throne coop. I like the concept of building up a character throughout the game. On the other hand, I can't stand King of Tokyo, which for reason is pretty highly regarded.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Hoplomachus is a gladiator style combat game but using (poker) chips instead of miniatures and card. It's their game to fame. It was highly praised by Rikcy Royal as one game that replace Mage Knight for him. I got it and played it once and never touch it again. I can see the appeal for some people and the chip mechanic is very nice as it compact everything down to just chips (all your health, abilities, stats) That said the game just didn't click with me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
See the reviews for Time Stories: Madame has tempered my expectations for it. I've enjoyed the majority of the scenarios and have liked the bits of meta narrative we've seen
probably best to know ahead of time the big pay off is "go buy second edition lol"

Oct 28, 2017
See the reviews for Time Stories: Madame has tempered my expectations for it. I've enjoyed the majority of the scenarios and have liked the bits of meta narrative we've seen
probably best to know ahead of time the big pay off is "go buy second edition lol"
giphy.gif

Yeah, fuck that game in general. The entire business model of that thing bugged the crap out of me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
giphy.gif

Yeah, fuck that game in general. The entire business model of that thing bugged the crap out of me.

I'll defend Time Stories as I'd say 5 of the 8 modules have been very good-excellent (Asylum, Marcy, Expedition, Lumen, Brotherhood) and only 1 was really bad (Estella). I've had a better track record with Time Stories then I've had with the escape room games I've done so far.

While a 2.0 of time stories can fix some of the inherent design flaws by improving combat/challenge rolls and adding app integration, the bad scenarios largely came down to bad design/story of the specific scenario. Mix that with the very slow release and it was very frustrating to follow and I'm glad I got into it late.

Time Stories either needed to better plan out it's meta narrative, or needed to release several modules each year that were all completely stand alone and could be played in any order like the various escape room games.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played the latest DOOM again, still feels so underbalanced for the Invaders. Half of me just wants to unload it but half of me is wondering if I should try with house rules like no class cards or something. Anyone have experience with this game?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Played two games of Wingspan for the first time today. Good game, gorgeous as all SM games are and love the component quality. I can see why it's so popular but I don't understand how so many people are still selling it for such a high price.

Still, I enjoyed it. I think we played it correctly but my first time playing I got 88 points. Anyone who has played, what's considered medium/high? I always feel like I did something wrong if I get a high score.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Played the latest DOOM again, still feels so underbalanced for the Invaders. Half of me just wants to unload it but half of me is wondering if I should try with house rules like no class cards or something. Anyone have experience with this game?

Ok so I did own this game and struggled with the same dilemma. My advice is to unload it and I'll tell you why:
The balance issues aren't really addressable universally and that's for a few reasons. The game's strengths work against it in the invader's strategy decks and the Marines class options create variety absolutely but an imbalance that can only be addressed on a per scenario basis. It is a frustrating trial and error exercise to determine which loadouts are appropriate for each scenario.

Good example is the first scenario in the game which is the most played and most scrutinized simply because it's first. I figure a lot of players don't play beyond this one. It's an out and out curb stomping good time for the OP Marines. Right? Well played as is yes but remove the chainsaw, a couple medpacks, remove the class cards, and never use the player count bonus cards and you'll find yourself in a close match to the end and it is great fun! But this setup was found over a lot of plays and subsequent scenarios didn't receive the same player base scrutiny. The trial and error begins again to try and manufacture a competitive game for both sides.

That's my two cents anyway and pretty much the same reason I just offloaded the new Batman game except it has the opposite issue of being too easy for the villain. Solutions similarly have to be addressed on a per scenario basis. I think it's just really tough to balance these one vs. many games, and I feel when it's off unless there's an easy universal fix that can be applied it shouldn't be up to us to fix them. The best luck I've had with them so far is probably Not Alone (which is a unique take) and the TMNT shadows of the past game. I'm looking forward to getting the new version of that as it is the one my group has enjoyed the most and we found to be competitively balanced across most scenarios. Marvel Strike Teams is another one vs many I have that has been hit and miss depending on the player's expectations of what the game is. One player expected more of a skirmish game and quickly realized battling unnecessarily would be a quick ticket to a loss.

Also have heard good things about Level 7 Omega Protocol and have the second edition backed and am looking forward to trying it out as well.

Last edited:

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Played two games of Wingspan for the first time today. Good game, gorgeous as all SM games are and love the component quality. I can see why it's so popular but I don't understand how so many people are still selling it for such a high price.

Still, I enjoyed it. I think we played it correctly but my first time playing I got 88 points. Anyone who has played, what's considered medium/high? I always feel like I did something wrong if I get a high score.

88 is pretty high but achievable.
The rules I see missed the most are not paying eggs for placing birds past the first coloum, putting birds in rows they can't go (wetlands bird in the grasslands etc) and refreshing the bird feeder too often.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
88 is pretty high but achievable.
The rules I see missed the most are not paying eggs for placing birds past the first coloum, putting birds in rows they can't go (wetlands bird in the grasslands etc) and refreshing the bird feeder too often.

I believe we did that right. The left most column has no egg icon so I assume we don't pay anything besides the food necessary. We were definitely on top of the habitat they can be placed in and I know for the feeder you can only reset them when all icons are the same and are about to do a feed action. I did get really lucky and had 3 bonus cards that really played off my bird names, nest types, and eggs. I do like like the bonus cards, gives a goal to work for similar to Gaia Project.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I have to ask about Middara. As a solo game, is it more or less fiddly than Gloomhaven and/or KD:M? I gave up on Gloomhaven because it was like playing a high-level puzzle game and not an adventure game, which is fine. KD:M is fun enough solo, but there is a TRASH load of book keeping.

Solo Zombicide has a LOT to manage with 6 characters, but it's surprisngly simple despite being a huge burden to the table. How does Middara compare to that?

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
So I have to ask about Middara. As a solo game, is it more or less fiddly than Gloomhaven and/or KD:M? I gave up on Gloomhaven because it was like playing a high-level puzzle game and not an adventure game, which is fine. KD:M is fun enough solo, but there is a TRASH load of book keeping.

Solo Zombicide has a LOT to manage with 6 characters, but it's surprisngly simple despite being a huge burden to the table. How does Middara compare to that?

I've played a bunch of Zombicide solo (running 6 characters) & a good bit of Middara (running 4 characters). I haven't played KDM & only a little bit of Gloomhaven FWIW. There is definitely a bigger 'problem space' in Middara in how combat works, what abilities/equipment to use each player turn compared to Zombicide. There's more potential "state"/logic to the enemy AI by far. Definitely more rules to remember.

But it's way more of an adventure game in how individual missions play out (most maps I've played have totems or some sort of mechanic that brings in new enemies/tiles/"stuff") & the greater overarching story. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Every time I finish an mission/encounter, I want to keep playing...

There's a lot of good play through videos - watching MAST or the first encounter in chapter 1 isn't going to spoil the story.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

One of the best things about Zombicide is that it feel like it is perpetually the player's turn. That is even more apparent when you are playing solo. As soon as the last character finishes, you move/spawn zombies, and it is back in the player's hands in the blink of an eye.

Speaking of Zombicide...

CMON just announced they are selling TMNT character boxes for modern Zombicide at SDCC. Unfortuantely, they will only be a convention exclusive going forward. They sell for $20 a box and there are 2 boxes total. Box 1 has 2 turtles, Kang, and Shredder. Box 2 has 2 turtles, Rocksteady, and Bebop. They're already hitting Ebay and the prices are just...wow. CMON sure loves giving scalpers money!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
One of the best things about Zombicide is that it feel like it is perpetually the player's turn. That is even more apparent when you are playing solo. As soon as the last character finishes, you move/spawn zombies, and it is back in the player's hands in the blink of an eye.

Speaking of Zombicide...

CMON just announced they are selling TMNT character boxes for modern Zombicide at SDCC. Unfortuantely, they will only be a convention exclusive going forward. They sell for $20 a box and there are 2 boxes total. Box 1 has 2 turtles, Kang, and Shredder. Box 2 has 2 turtles, Rocksteady, and Bebop. They're already hitting Ebay and the prices are just...wow. CMON sure loves giving scalpers money!

Cool, never thought of doing those. Just need a picture of the board and I'll just use my painted minis from TMNT: Shadows of the Past or the new one coming up.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of Zombicide...

I saw those on Facebook. I was very sad. I want them so bad haha

Oct 26, 2017
I've always enjoyed board gaming but lacked a good group to play with and was happy to discover Board Game Arena recently. So far I love Stone Age and Love Letter (the latter I picked up recently new for $8). Wife got me Dice City recently as well which works well as a solitaire game and I discovered Onirim on iOS and that game is amazing as well.

What's a good beginner dungeon crawl that can be played solo or should I dive into Mage Knight, which I see so highly recommended for solo play?

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I've always enjoyed board gaming but lacked a good group to play with and was happy to discover Board Game Arena recently. So far I love Stone Age and Love Letter (the latter I picked up recently new for $8). Wife got me Dice City recently as well which works well as a solitaire game and I discovered Onirim on iOS and that game is amazing as well.

What's a good beginner dungeon crawl that can be played solo or should I dive into Mage Knight, which I see so highly recommended for solo play?
I wouldn't consider Mage Knight a dungeon crawl. And if you are really new to this hobby, Mage Knight might be a little overwhelming.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

Mage Knight is fun, but you should definitely hold off on it for now. Its more of a hand management card drafting game with some exploration.

Dungeon Crawls that go well solo? I'm maybe the biggest Shadows of Brimstone fan here and will always recommend that. It's very similar to the old Warhammer Quest (which has an app and a PC version). It has minimal campaign elements, but your heroes level and grow from game to game. Very RPG like. But there is a TON of stuff for that game, and it can be daunting for a newcomer to get into.

You can also check out something simple like the D&D Adventure games. The newer ones have more RPG elements and are quite easy to setup and play.

There are a lot out there, but it depends on what theme and "mechanics" you're interested in.