• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mage Knight is fun, but you should definitely hold off on it for now. Its more of a hand management card drafting game with some exploration.

Dungeon Crawls that go well solo? I'm maybe the biggest Shadows of Brimstone fan here and will always recommend that. It's very similar to the old Warhammer Quest (which has an app and a PC version). It has minimal campaign elements, but your heroes level and grow from game to game. Very RPG like. But there is a TON of stuff for that game, and it can be daunting for a newcomer to get into.

You can also check out something simple like the D&D Adventure games. The newer ones have more RPG elements and are quite easy to setup and play.

There are a lot out there, but it depends on what theme and "mechanics" you're interested in.

Yea probably the simpler the better, especially need something that I can "pause" play or finish a session quickly and put it away and get it back out easily. The D&D ones are just called D&D adventure?

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Yea probably the simpler the better, especially need something that I can "pause" play or finish a session quickly and put it away and get it back out easily. The D&D ones are just called D&D adventure?

There's six of them:
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
Temple of Elemental Evil
Tomb of Annihilation
Dungeon of the Mad Mage

ToEE and on have campaign play.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I've always enjoyed board gaming but lacked a good group to play with and was happy to discover Board Game Arena recently. So far I love Stone Age and Love Letter (the latter I picked up recently new for $8). Wife got me Dice City recently as well which works well as a solitaire game and I discovered Onirim on iOS and that game is amazing as well.

What's a good beginner dungeon crawl that can be played solo or should I dive into Mage Knight, which I see so highly recommended for solo play?

I've been playing a lot of solo Gloomhaven lately. It's a good dungeon crawler if you like hand management, deck building, and tactical combat. It also includes an insanely huge campaign. Not really a beginner game, but it's not overly complicated either.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I've always enjoyed board gaming but lacked a good group to play with and was happy to discover Board Game Arena recently. So far I love Stone Age and Love Letter (the latter I picked up recently new for $8). Wife got me Dice City recently as well which works well as a solitaire game and I discovered Onirim on iOS and that game is amazing as well.

What's a good beginner dungeon crawl that can be played solo or should I dive into Mage Knight, which I see so highly recommended for solo play?

Just gonna say if you like Star Wars check out Star Wars: Imperial Assault. I think the theme really helps new players understand the concept of dungeon crawlers in board games also it's just a fun game with a ton of content.

Mage Knight is a VERY heavy game. I own it and have attempted to play it solo but it really is daunting. I do want to spend some time learning it but yeah, very heavy game with a ton of rules.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Gloomhaven is great, will last forever and would work well as a solo game. It might seem overwhelming at first, but isn't really that complex.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Telling someone to start with gloomhaven for solo play is like telling someone to start classic literature with war and peace. If you don't completely break them where do they go from there?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

Mage Knight is a great game but it doesn't really feel like a dungeon crawler. It does have the features you'd expect to see in a dungeon crawler: the combat, the exploration, getting loot, gaining experience and getting stronger. But it does so at a very different pace than you'd expect. Everything is difficult to do, even the moving about and exploration. It's all about the vicarious thrill of encountering seemingly impossible odds, and coming up with just the right combination of resources to allow you to overcome that challenge. This is a sense of accomplishment that you might get once or twice on a gaming night except that it happens all the time in Mage Knight. It's a great game, but it's much more about resource management than you'd normally expect out of a dungeon crawler. Mage Knight is also pretty complex so I wouldn't normally recommend it for beginners.

Something like One Deck Dungeon would be better for that. It's an inexpensive game that's compact and plays quickly while still getting you all of the elements you'd expect out of a dungeon crawl. I've never played the original game and I've heard that it can be really hard to beat. I have played the Forest of Shadows standalone and it's definitely playable.

Other more complex games in the same vein are Dragonfire/Crossfire and Heroes of Terrinoth. Unlike Mage Knight and One Deck Dungeon, you'll want to run at least two characters for these games though.

Just about everything else seems easier once you've played Gloomhaven and Twilight Imperium.
Almost. Wargames exist, and they can be so complex that they break BGG's Weight scale.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Telling someone to start with gloomhaven for solo play is like telling someone to start classic literature with war and peace. If you don't completely break them where do they go from there?

C'mon now. Gloomhaven isn't more difficult than something like Descent or Imperial Assault, and certainly less complex than something like Mage Knight. There is a lot of stuff, and setup is a bitch, but the core gameplay is a fairly simple card driven system. Play through two scenarios and you should have a good grasp of how it works. You can even use an app to track enemies, which negates some of the setup if you're so inclined. It's also in my opinion the best dungeon crawler by far, so why not invest some time to learn an actually good game rather than some mid-tier hack 'n slash?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Mage Knight is a great game but it doesn't really feel like a dungeon crawler. It does have the features you'd expect to see in a dungeon crawler: the combat, the exploration, getting loot, gaining experience and getting stronger. But it does so at a very different pace than you'd expect. Everything is difficult to do, even the moving about and exploration. It's all about the vicarious thrill of encountering seemingly impossible odds, and coming up with just the right combination of resources to allow you to overcome that challenge. This is a sense of accomplishment that you might get once or twice on a gaming night except that it happens all the time in Mage Knight. It's a great game, but it's much more about resource management than you'd normally expect out of a dungeon crawler. Mage Knight is also pretty complex so I wouldn't normally recommend it for beginners.

Something like One Deck Dungeon would be better for that. It's an inexpensive game that's compact and plays quickly while still getting you all of the elements you'd expect out of a dungeon crawl. I've never played the original game and I've heard that it can be really hard to beat. I have played the Forest of Shadows standalone and it's definitely playable.

Other more complex games in the same vein are Dragonfire/Crossfire and Heroes of Terrinoth. Unlike Mage Knight and One Deck Dungeon, you'll want to run at least two characters for these games though.

Almost. Wargames exist, and they can be so complex that they break BGG's Weight scale.

I saw one deck dungeon and it certainly has me interested. Though I may pick it up on iOS first.

Oct 25, 2017
Local game store has a yearly used game sale . People bring in their lightly used games and get 80 percent in store credit. We got there about 1.5 hours before opening and 10th in line. By opening maybe 80 people lined up. They had about 1,000 games. This was my haul, pretty happy

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Gloomhaven isn't complex. Messy, hard to organize, annoying setup/cleanup time? Sure, but not complex. Its firmly medium-weight and the difficulty adjusts nicely for groups/players who aren't into minmaxing.

That said I wouldn't recommend it for solo play unless you're into playing multiple characters at once, and house ruling the difficulty against your perfect knowledge of player initiative/player actions.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Actually considering the one deck dungeon app again but was wondering if any of the add ones were considered must haves

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Actually considering the one deck dungeon app again but was wondering if any of the add ones were considered must haves
I don't know about the other ones, but Forest of Shadows is really good. I've never played the original but I've heard that it's the better of the two games. I mostly play as the Hunter and she seems really strong. Also, Caliana is a joke character so don't get her unless you know what you're getting yourself into.

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday, I was at my mother in law's house and her husband has over 2000 of these games, honestly, it felt like a library of board games there.. My wife, our kids, her mom and grandmother went to go see Toy Story 4 yesterday and it was just him and I hanging out. I asked him, since I was a newbie at this, what games would you hvae someone play to break them into designer board games. We played three games.

These was the first two.

2iw7lue.jpg

Afterwards, we played Splendor.

Anyways, I took a few pics of his mancave.

28m0hw1.jpg

1z1tchu.jpg

I can see myself going down this road further. He told me about boardgamegeek as a website and a few others. When I get the time, I'll look more but I genuinely had fun yesterday playing these games.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday, I was at my mother in law's house and her husband has over 2000 of these games, honestly, it felt like a library of board games there.. My wife, our kids, her mom and grandmother went to go see Toy Story 4 yesterday and it was just him and I hanging out. I asked him, since I was a newbie at this, what games would you hvae someone play to break them into designer board games. We played three games.

These was the first two.

2iw7lue.jpg

28m0hw1.jpg

1z1tchu.jpg

I can see myself going down this road further. He told me about boardgamegeek as a website and a few others. When I get the time, I'll look more but I genuinely had fun yesterday playing these games.

Join us.

(Those are great choices to start off with.)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

These was the first two.

2iw7lue.jpg

28m0hw1.jpg

1z1tchu.jpg

That is like the optimal way to get into the hobby. You have access to thousands of games and has someone who can teach you the rules. Dig in and discover!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

These was the first two.

2iw7lue.jpg

28m0hw1.jpg

1z1tchu.jpg

If you are a fan of Marvel or Star Wars both Star Wars Imperial Assault and Legendary marvel are awesome games and mid level stuff. I see them both on the shelf

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

These was the first two.

2iw7lue.jpg

Welcome to the club! It seems odd to mix Century with Splendor since they seem to tick very similar boxes. How did they work out for you?

On a slightly different note, Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy had seemed to me to be extremely similar games. I finally got a chance to play some Race, and to my surprise I find it to be quite different to Roll. While the two games share a lot of mechanics that are sort of similar, the game economies are staggeringly different. Most notably, Race has more built-in synergies which sounds great on paper, but it also means that a good portion of the time the cards you need won't come up and you're toast by turn 3. In light of this, I'd say that Roll is the better game by a significant margin.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I received a copy of Betrayal at Baldur's Gate yesterday after ordering it from Woot for $20 last week. Upon opening it was elated to see that they've fixed the stat clip issue from Betrayal at House on the Hill. Components look decent and a tiny bit better than House on the Hill. From what I've read the tweaks to the rules work well and the haunts are good, despite still sometimes being unclear or confusing and requiring an FAQ. One of the things I like a lot is that each character has a choice between two different classes and powers. So the half-orc can choose between being a cleric that can heal other people or himself, or a paladin that can ignore events on new tiles he enters. That should keep each character feeling different from each other and help the game feel a bit fresh when replaying it.

I'm not a huge fan of Betrayal at HotH but I'm thinking I'll like Baldur's Gate a lot more because of the additions, fixes, and rules changes. I'm hoping to try it out Tuesday night at game night at the local store.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
On a slightly different note, Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy had seemed to me to be extremely similar games. I finally got a chance to play some Race, and to my surprise I find it to be quite different to Roll. While the two games share a lot of mechanics that are sort of similar, the game economies are staggeringly different. Most notably, Race has more built-in synergies which sounds great on paper, but it also means that a good portion of the time the cards you need won't come up and you're toast by turn 3. In light of this, I'd say that Roll is the better game by a significant margin.

A large part of the fun of Race is figuring out how to pivot while playing based on what you get, and what's being selected role wise. Yeah, there are hands that just don't work, but as you get better at it, you can find some real fun combos.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club! It seems odd to mix Century with Splendor since they seem to tick very similar boxes. How did they work out for you?

They're just very different games. A big part of the 'economy' in Race is building up a big hand of cards, not just because cards pay for stuff, but to get a wider set of options. You're always looking for how to get to the next point of your improvised build.

I love Roll, too, but for much different reasons. It's just so fun to gather up and manipulate the dice.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, Race does have its points, it's just that I was surprised that the two games are so different given their superficial similarities. It's also really surprising that the dice game is the less random of the two, and by a big margin at that! I also agree that, once you get a decent amount of card draw, a lot more options open up in Race. However, that flexibility doesn't exist in the first few turns, and it's hard to do much when you're dead in the water by turn 2.

I'm not saying that it's not a great game though, just that Roll is a lot better. I've been just playing Race on the app, and it's disappointing that this game has a bunch of programming errors such as forcing a player to do something on a card that says "may".

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Of the four related games (Race, Roll, Jump Drive, New Frontiers), I find Roll the worst by a significant margin; it's incredibly dry and boring. Jump Drive is pretty weak as well, being a beginner's version of Race.

Race is amazing for its combination of constantly changing tactical play combined with long-term strategies. Outside of your opponent(s) playing a killer turn 1 combo (e.g., Alien Toy Shop + Earth's Lost Colony in 2P Advanced), you're not going to be out of the game by turn three based on card randomness alone. You do have to play the cards you're dealt, but there's plenty of variety and plenty of paths to victory there.

New Frontiers goes in entirely the other direction -- all developments are face up in the middle of the table for anyone to build, and worlds are drafted from a seven card draw, so you've got a good shot at getting pretty much what you want all the time. It's still an interesting game, however, but one that's a fair bit less tactical in world/development selection (but there are some neat tactics when it comes to action selection in 2P/4P games).

I've been just playing Race on the app, and it's disappointing that this game has a bunch of programming errors such as forcing a player to do something on a card that says "may".

It's possible you've found some bugs, but my bet is that either you don't understand the rules or you don't understand the interface.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
All this talk about One Deck Dungeon caused me to open my copy. I bought on sale like last August and it has just been sitting on my desk for almost a year. Played it solo and absolutely loved it. Took the Archer through the Hydra dungeon and got killed at the boss fight but still loved it.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
C'mon now. Gloomhaven isn't more difficult than something like Descent or Imperial Assault, and certainly less complex than something like Mage Knight. There is a lot of stuff, and setup is a bitch, but the core gameplay is a fairly simple card driven system. Play through two scenarios and you should have a good grasp of how it works. You can even use an app to track enemies, which negates some of the setup if you're so inclined. It's also in my opinion the best dungeon crawler by far, so why not invest some time to learn an actually good game rather than some mid-tier hack 'n slash?

Yeah but for solo play meaning most likely the newbie has to figure out how to play themselves and there's a 50 page rule book. Even for someone quite into board games like myself, getting through that rule book is a chore.

Solo game go Arkham Horror LCG - still tricky but has a learn to play guide that gets you playing quite quick.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Race does have its points, it's just that I was surprised that the two games are so different given their superficial similarities. It's also really surprising that the dice game is the less random of the two, and by a big margin at that! I also agree that, once you get a decent amount of card draw, a lot more options open up in Race. However, that flexibility doesn't exist in the first few turns, and it's hard to do much when you're dead in the water by turn 2.

I'm not saying that it's not a great game though, just that Roll is a lot better. I've been just playing Race on the app, and it's disappointing that this game has a bunch of programming errors such as forcing a player to do something on a card that says "may".

Your only Dead in the water by turn two of your a inexperienced player. As someone who has played upwards of 500 games of Race I see this all the time with new players.
Often they will look for combos in the hand and hold on to cards or explore because they think they need to. Race is (much like Lehmanns new game Res Arcana) a game about efficient use of your hand. It's not about working towards a super engine, but much more about micro engines.

Roll on the other hand is a more forgiving system and almost bloated version, and imo a strictly worse game.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Anyone have experience with Sword & Sorcery? I downloaded the rulebook and it seems overly complex. I was considering a late pledge for Ancient Chronicles but I'm not confident I can handle it.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Your only Dead in the water by turn two of your a inexperienced player. As someone who has played upwards of 500 games of Race I see this all the time with new players.
Often they will look for combos in the hand and hold on to cards or explore because they think they need to. Race is (much like Lehmanns new game Res Arcana) a game about efficient use of your hand. It's not about working towards a super engine, but much more about micro engines.

This says what I tried to say earlier in a much better fashion :) You can't look at your starting hand & stick with it, you need to pivot with what you draw.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience with Sword & Sorcery? I downloaded the rulebook and it seems overly complex. I was considering a late pledge for Ancient Chronicles but I'm not confident I can handle it.
It is another dungeon crawler and it did have interesting mechanism for level up but the rule is complex and confusing even for experience gamer like me. I didn't really care much for it after couple scenario I was pretty much done with it, but my brother-in-law love it and he think it's great. Personally I think Gloomhaven is much better in every regard.

Also to the above discussion, I wouldn't recommend Gloomhaven for solo especially if they are new to the hobbies, it's not difficult but there can be so many rules and things to remember. If you want easy simple dungeon crawl, start off with something like Zombicide or Mansion of Madness 2nd Edition before moving up.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

Roll on the other hand is a more forgiving system and almost bloated version, and imo a strictly worse game.
How long are these Race games supposed to last? A pivot is usually going to take 2-4 rounds of doing not much and I find the games to only last 10-14 rounds total. Sure, in some of these cases you can still be competitive, but there are a lot of cases where it's basically impossible. Is there a difference between the base game and the expansions?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
How long are these Race games supposed to last? A pivot is usually going to take 2-4 rounds of doing not much and I find the games to only last 10-14 rounds total. Sure, in some of these cases you can still be competitive, but there are a lot of cases where it's basically impossible. Is there a difference between the base game and the expansions?
The expansions have more start worlds, goals that give out more points, and some add new mechanics to the game.

Also, a standard game does take around 10-14 rounds as by that point, either someone filled their tableau or drained the VP pool.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have much experience with Unicornus Knights? Caught my eye at a local game store and it's the same designer who made Love Letter, which I love. They had it on sale but seems this didn't sell well in the US or something as impressions and reviews seem limited but it has enthusiastic fans. I love the theme and the idea of a Princess charging head first into peril and players chasing after her trying to ward off dangers.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You might want to take a look at some of the PBF games on BGG to see how you can make the most of your draw, without spending turns on pivoting. Here are a couple examples:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

The Trump administration has halted its plans to impose additional tariffs on $300 billion "List 4" goods, which would have included a 25 percent tariff on select tabletop games and accessories, toys, and video game consoles. The tariffs were designed to escalate Trump's ongoing trade war with China (of his own making), but following his meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping over the weekend, he decided to postpone. Though Trump insisted China was paying the tariffs, the Associated Press reminded everyone that it's the U.S. who would be bearing the brunt of the decision:
Trump refuses to recognize a reality that his own chief economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, has acknowledged. Tariffs are mainly if not entirely paid by companies and consumers in the country that imposes them. China is not sending billions of dollars to the U.S. treasury.
In a study in May , the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, with Princeton and Columbia universities, estimated that tariffs from Trump's trade dispute with China were costing $831 per U.S. household on an annual basis. And that was based on the situation in 2018, before tariffs escalated. The analysts also found that the burden of Trump's tariffs falls entirely on U.S. consumers and businesses that buy imported products.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
I love Shovel Knight but the Kickstarter vodeo makes it look a little gimmicky. I might give the rules a read and see if that tempts me more

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Roommates are leaving and taking their nice big table sadly. Looking for a new one. I never really eat on a dining table so looking for something well for board games.

Anyone own this or have any opinion?

Barrington Poker Table I would probably reupholster it myself but a $500 table with those features sounds too good be too with the price drop.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have much experience with Unicornus Knights? Caught my eye at a local game store and it's the same designer who made Love Letter, which I love. They had it on sale but seems this didn't sell well in the US or something as impressions and reviews seem limited but it has enthusiastic fans. I love the theme and the idea of a Princess charging head first into peril and players chasing after her trying to ward off dangers.

I haven't played it yet. I've looked into it as well but the longish playtime (some suggested much more than the advertised playtime) plus the lack of interaction between players and heavy quarterbacking scared me away. I love the look and idea of the game though... just not sure it is good enough to own.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Roommates are leaving and taking their nice big table sadly. Looking for a new one. I never really eat on a dining table so looking for something well for board games.

Anyone own this or have any opinion?

Barrington Poker Table I would probably reupholster it myself but a $500 table with those features sounds too good be too with the price drop.
There was a big thread on Reddit about this table.

Pretty much unbeatable value for a game table especially if you plan on resurfacing it. The OP said it was rock solid. Cup holders are a bit shallow and it is a bit narrow for some games were the biggest drawbacks.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love Shovel Knight but the Kickstarter vodeo makes it look a little gimmicky. I might give the rules a read and see if that tempts me more

As I watched it it reminded me of the Sonic Board Game last year. Basically a thin game mostly coasting on the license. I've not read through the rulebook so perhaps that is unfair, we'll see.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
There was a big thread on Reddit about this table.

Pretty much unbeatable value for a game table especially if you plan on resurfacing it. The OP said it was rock solid. Cup holders are a bit shallow and it is a bit narrow for some games were the biggest drawbacks.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Now that I have a group for Gloomhaven space does matter since it was probably my largest game. The table we used before though is about 56 inches in length and 40 inch depth so I don't have to worry about it.

It does look great too just have to add a red felt and I'll love it.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018