• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
img_20190709_063647__2ek53.jpg
img_20190709_063927__1sj1l.jpg
Descent Merriods are done.

Oct 26, 2017
Half price books nearby has Mage Knight base game for $45. If it is still there by Friday morning I may snag it for 40% off. $27 for that meaty of a game would be hard to pass up. Problem is I don't know when I would get around to it, but I could see it as a game my son would love to play when he gets (much) older, plus it is supposed to be fantastic solo. Also saw Terraforming Mars but I am not too big on the theme for it. Going to stop into another HPB tomorrow (there's about 5 in the greater area) to sell some things and see if they have something that catches my eye more.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Thinking of selling Batman Gotham City chronicles, haven't been able to get it to the table, and I'd rather have the cash right now then a space hogging game I can't play.

Oct 25, 2017
As a fellow owner of Fortune and Glory, I feel much the same but I'm still keeping it because people are more willing to give it a try over Cthulhu, but damn does the box take a ton of space that could be spent on other, better games. Fury of Dracula is my on the way out game. No one ever wants to play it, but 3rd edition is so nice.

I guess I'm a little luckier in those regards. I can get Fury of Dracula to the table. One or two more passes and someone else would probably be able to run Dracula. My Saturday game group, one or two of the players would probably be willing to do the homework to play Dracula now if I brought it up. Also, Cthulhu isn't a hard sell for any of my game groups, so getting Eldritch Horror to the table isn't super difficult either.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Those are looking pretty sweet. I love the paintings on the base.

I've recently become more interested in doing basing stuff. It definitely adds another level to minis.

And it takes extra time. On the smaller Descent minis I was fine with black bases, but for the larger ones some baseing work is imo a must, since there's so much empty room on the bases otherwise.

Looking good. Did you get Alter Quest?

Thanks. Yes! Looking forward to it with anticipation and dread. It'll look terrific with all those painted environmental tokens and minis, but that's a year or two worth of painting for me. Already hard pressed to finish the Descent set this year.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
And it takes extra time. On the smaller Descent minis I was fine with black bases, but for the larger ones some baseing work is imo must, since there's so much empty room on the bases otherwise.

Thanks. Yes! Looking forward to it with anticipation and dread. It'll look terrific with all those painted environmental tokens and minis, but that's a year or two worth of painting for me. Already hard pressed to finish the Descent set this year.

Any tips for painting for someone who has never, well, painted? I have Zombicide: Black Plague, Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven...I'd love to paint them...some day.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for painting for someone who has never, well, painted? I have Zombicide: Black Plague, Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven...I'd love to paint them...some day.

Uff... Hard to pick what tips to best give an absolute beginner. I'd probably consider those most important:

1) Set yourself small goals. Don't start with a legion of minis or especially large minis and don't try to paint to showcase level. Not even a full set of the games you listed. Start on a handful of minis max and get them done. Progress from there.

2) Get proper basic mini painting equipment. E. g. light grey spray can primer (Army Painter, Games Workshop), basic beginner set of Vallejo (or another manufacturer's) colors, a single universally usable wash (e.g. Army Painter strong tone) and two good brushes with good tips, size 2 and 0. You're already looking at a ~50€ expense, but have enough to paint probably all of your games and any issues you'll have won't be because you were limited by your tools, but because you've still got room for improvement.

3) Watch some Youtubers paint. Don't force yourself to replicate their level - or color choices. Just get a general idea of how they handle colors and brushes. Sorastro even paints some of your games. His videos are absolutely excellent. Watch them, if you're looking for motivation. ;)

For essentially every mini painting topic, you'll find helpful YouTube tutorials. But you'll be much more easily able to follow them after you've gotten the basic hang of working with minis.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
First 2 spirit solo play in Spirit Island and I wiped the board completely. I should really up the difficulty as I read the designer classified Lv 1-5 as "too easy" and 5-7 as "casual fun" and I've been playing at lv 1, but I am still trying to see all the basic stuff first.

I do love that this game can be very easy to win as it will make introducing it to my wife easier than probably pandemic was and she likes that game. Spirit island I feel I am in much more control and powerful compared to pandemic which can be ruined by bad draws/shuffles.

Oh and we got Rhino Hero at a book store recently and it is a blast and a hit with the kids. May have to get Super Battle for Christmas.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 spirit solo play in Spirit Island and I wiped the board completely. I should really up the difficulty as I read the designer classified Lv 1-5 as "too easy" and 5-7 as "casual fun" and I've been playing at lv 1, but I am still trying to see all the basic stuff first.

I do love that this game can be very easy to win as it will make introducing it to my wife easier than probably pandemic was and she likes that game. Spirit island I feel I am in much more control and powerful compared to pandemic which can be ruined by bad draws/shuffles.

Oh and we got Rhino Hero at a book store recently and it is a blast and a hit with the kids. May have to get Super Battle for Christmas.

I have yet to beat it, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but it hasn't felt easy at all

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to beat it, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but it hasn't felt easy at all
It can be more efficient to prevent things than to do things after the fact. Paradoxically, slow powers are generally stronger than fast powers. Fortunately, you know which invasion phases will occur where, so you can plan accordingly!

Oct 26, 2017

Hmm not sure. The rules are "simple" but I found they aren't very direct. And the game gives you very powerful abilities that at first read you would think would be cheating or OP so your brain tells you "you can't do that". For instance Lighting's Swift Strike can play a slow power fast for every air element played, to which I took to mean initially that I would first have to play a fast power with an air element to gain that element first to then play a slow power fast, but nope you gain the elements of the powers you play (slow and fast) immediately. Same thing with river surges second level innate power that lets you do 2 damage, Push 3 settlers/town. Initially I thought it meant one or the other but it is actually both. Then I also thought that defense was was like a health pool for the land meaning that when invaders ravage and do 2 damage then that breaks the defense I played leaving the Dahan open for attack, but nope it stays until the end of invaders full turn and will provide 2 defense to the Dahan as well. Then I learned that if I do 2 damage to a land with invaders it meant that 2 damage would be targeting one target so I could only kill one of the two explorers in jungle let's say, but You can actually apply damage however you want meaning you can kill both explorers. Unless the power states otherwise like "1 damage to each invader".

Give it another shot! Play with River Surges and Lightning's swift strike together and when in doubt yes the power you are playing really allows you to do that.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to collect fear when you knock out towns (1 fear) and cities (2 fear). I played nearly a full game without moving a single fear because I just forgot.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think playing as one spirit is harder than two?

Its pretty easy with river surges and lightning's Swift strike at least. You are only dealing with one island board instead of two as well, and the game will be much quicker. Try it with lightning, and as an additional tip playing the destroy 1 town powers slow can be more beneficial. Let the explorer build a town for you to then destroy and now they can only ravage with an explorer who can be killed by a Dahan.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing River solo and feeling like some of the abilities made more sense combo'd with other spirit abilities. Seems like the game is just designed to have players collaborate like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally sat down with my copy of Leaving Earth to learn it. It's not as impenetrable as I was fearing it might be. While definitely more math heavy than most, on a component level it's easy math (basic multiplication and addition), just a lot of it strung together. I enjoyed my first solo go through it. There are definitely some rules I haven't got to yet at the harder mission types, so I'll play it a couple more times.

Oct 26, 2017
Stopped at a different half price location to sell a bunch of DVDs and books collecting dust and they had Castle Panic for $10.50 after the 30% coupon. All the cards and pieces were in excellent to almost new condition. Should be fun for the family.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Uff... Hard to pick what tips to best give an absolute beginner. I'd probably consider those most important:

1) Set yourself small goals. Don't start with a legion of minis or especially large minis and don't try to paint to showcase level. Not even a full set of the games you listed. Start on a handful of minis max and get them done. Progress from there.

2) Get proper basic mini painting equipment. E. g. light grey spray can primer (Army Painter, Games Workshop), basic beginner set of Vallejo (or another manufacturer's) colors, a single universally usable wash (e.g. Army Painter strong tone) and two good brushes with good tips, size 2 and 0. You're already looking at a ~50€ expense, but have enough to paint probably all of your games and any issues you'll have won't be because you were limited by your tools, but because you've still got room for improvement.

3) Watch some Youtubers paint. Don't force yourself to replicate their level - or color choices. Just get a general idea of how they handle colors and brushes. Sorastro even paints some of your games. His videos are absolutely excellent. Watch them, if you're looking for motivation. ;)

For essentially every mini painting topic, you'll find helpful YouTube tutorials. But you'll be much more easily able to follow them after you've gotten the basic hang of working with minis.
Great post

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I was going to get Zombicide: Black Plague but seeing all the kickstarter stuff made me bummed that I would be missing out so I bought a set of poker chips instead. I figure it will make it easier to bring people to the table to play other board games (or make everyone hate each other, whatever). Chip values at 5, 10, 25, and 100. I figure it will be a nice light way to play if we keep the values at US cents and the buy in at $10-$15.

tNbhsAR.jpg

QXFWHnU.jpg

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Wow. Thanks!

It's something I've been wanting to do and get real practice in. I love the pictures you posted. Your minis look amazing.

I was going to get Zombicide: Black Plague but seeing all the kickstarter stuff made me bummed that I would be missing out so I bought a set of poker chips instead. I figure it will make it easier to bring people to the table to play other board games (or make everyone hate each other, whatever). Chip values at 5, 10, 25, and 100. I figure it will be a nice light way to play if we keep the values at US cents and the buy in at $10-$15.

tNbhsAR.jpg

QXFWHnU.jpg

What games are you going to use it for?

Did you ever see this?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
So Roads and Boats is getting a reprint for its 20:th anniversary, and I'm considering biting and preordering it. It's expensive, and I honestly doubt I will get it to the table that often as it is fairly heavy. It's just such a weird and curiously appealing design from what I've seen of it, and I'd like to try it out for myself. Does anyone have any experience with the game? Has it aged well? Is it a good game, or more of a curiosity by todays standards?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to trying this out on the weekend

Mine hasn't arrived yet. We like the Estates so I am hoping this is good too.

We played Star Wars: Outer Rim last night. It was fun. I was Jyn Erso and won by a single point over the two other players. I thought it had lots of theme and a pretty decent skill/combat system. I wish it had a little more interaction though. The game also definitely needs more cards as we were exhausting some of the decks in a single session.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
I figure this is the best place to ask: I'm heading to Gen Con in a few weeks and was wondering what new board games I should keep an eye out for. There's usually a few lists to check out but I haven't seen any this year. Any suggestions? Euro, deck building, deception, whatever--I'm game for any style, just interested in new and upcoming games with a lot of helium to check out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Oct 26, 2017
I figure this is the best place to ask: I'm heading to Gen Con in a few weeks and was wondering what new board games I should keep an eye out for. There's usually a few lists to check out but I haven't seen any this year. Any suggestions? Euro, deck building, deception, whatever--I'm game for any style, just interested in new and upcoming games with a lot of helium to check out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

May be a bit on the younger side but Quirky Circuits is supposed to be on sale for the first time at gen con.

May skew a little on the younger side for some, but is made by the same designer of Arkham/Eldritch Horror and Mountain of Madness.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been seriously out of the loop the last 12-18 months. Looking to make some pickups in the next month or so, with both Prime Day (not that I expect much) and birthday coming I'm trying to make a list of things to check out.

So I'm curious what Era's favorite games that work well with 2 players from the last year to year and a half are. We like everything from breezy casual thematic to rules-heavy crunchy abstracts. As long as it works well with two players. Doesn't have to be 2p specifically, as long as it plays well at 2p.

Thanks!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been seriously out of the loop the last 12-18 months. Looking to make some pickups in the next month or so, with both Prime Day (not that I expect much) and birthday coming I'm trying to make a list of things to check out.

So I'm curious what Era's favorite games that work well with 2 players from the last year to year and a half are. We like everything from breezy casual thematic to rules-heavy crunchy abstracts. As long as it works well with two players. Doesn't have to be 2p specifically, as long as it plays well at 2p.

Thanks!
Spirit Island plays well with 2

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/247236/duelosaur-island is supposed to be decent

gloomhaven plays decently with 2 https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven

Too many bones also plays decently with 2

chronicles of crime plays well with 2 https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/239188/chronicles-crime

as do most of the unlock and exit games

and I have to get ready to work now so that's the end of my list for now :P

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!
If not in your collection already, I'd like to suggest War Chest.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if Deep Water Games is just, like, one guy? I ordered the dry erase mats for Welcome To about two weeks ago and they haven't even shipped yet, and got no answer from their customer service email about a week ago.

It's only eight bucks, but, annoying.

Oct 26, 2017
I would love a digital adaptation of Spirit Island. It's a simple game visually and having the game take care of all the odds and ends stuff like counting fear, the whole invader phase, etc would be awesome and give me chances to play this when I don't have time or when I want to play a longer 3-4 spirit game over a day or two taking a few turns here and there.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I just picked up Star Wars Outer Rim. I really like the game. It's like a hybrid between Wasteland Express (pick up and deliver) and Western Legends (sandbox) with some RPG skill tests thrown in. It really makes a name for itself though through encounters, which happen on every turn and usually involve a scenario or character from the Star Wars universe. Upgrades and Mods are really nice and constantly obtained. The market is always available so long as you're on a planet space (which is at least 50% of the time) and has a lot of options and a nice cycling mechanic for sifting out what you don't want. Only cons are that there can be some luck when trying to locate a specific bounty and with dice rolls of course, but you know that going in. I definitely recommend

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My copy of Forbidden Sky en route today. Fam loves Island and Desert, but the reviews say this one is much harder.

Also they need to slow down on Villainous expansions! We're still working our way thru that one. Is there a link for the new one, I cant track it down.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Stopped at two half price books today and got a Sealed Age of Giants (Kingdomino expansion) for $10 at one and a sealed NEW copy of My First Ticket to Ride for $8! Couldn't believe the ticket to Ride price. Kids are 5 and 7 so this will be great.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!

I would recommend Azul if you haven't got it already.. it was released in 2017. Teothiuacan is also worth looking at if you like heavier stuff. Finally, Lisboa if you like the heaviest stuff.. it was also a 2017 release so not sure if you looked into it already.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Looking at two games on Kickstarter right now, Roll Player and Middara.

Roll Player seem quite interesting plus it has quite a lot of accolades.
Middara looks huge and bulky but also quite cool. Though a bit wary when it comes to miniature heavy games.

Any opinions on them? Specially the first? Saw some comments on Middara and its something to keep in mind but Roll Player campaign ends soon.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
CMON just announced they are selling TMNT character boxes for modern Zombicide at SDCC. Unfortuantely, they will only be a convention exclusive going forward. They sell for $20 a box and there are 2 boxes total. Box 1 has 2 turtles, Kang, and Shredder. Box 2 has 2 turtles, Rocksteady, and Bebop. They're already hitting Ebay and the prices are just...wow. CMON sure loves giving scalpers money!

Update: CMON announced last night that they have heard customer's complaints and the TMNT box sets will now be available to order from the IDW webstore for a limited time (July 17-Aug 5, while supplies last).

This makes me super happy!