• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does Dinogenics have much player interaction? Like, are you attacking each other or is it like Waterdeep where there's some light take that?

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to that until I saw that Dávid Turczi (Anachrony fame among others) had bought it, played it with three people, everyone hated it! He sold it after one play! I don't trust any reviews that the Dice Tower put out- they are always overly positive for very mediocre games so I'm having to wait for more impressions. :(

Still I should have City of the Big Shoulders some point this month hopefully to fill the new hotness gap. :)

Do you have a link to his review/impressions? I'm really looking forward to it wann see what they say

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
What are people's thoughts on Etherfields?
I've backed it. It looks fascinating just from a theme perspective, but I'm not 100% sold that it will be well translated. The English in the kickstarter updates has been good for non-primary speakers, but not good enough for what I'd consider a polished board game production.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I've backed it. It looks fascinating just from a theme perspective, but I'm not 100% sold that it will be well translated. The English in the kickstarter updates has been good for non-primary speakers, but not good enough for what I'd consider a polished board game production.
If you read the updates or watched their weekly Facebook live updates, you'll see that they have a team of native english speakers that will be helping to write/translate the game. All the KS updates are done in-house, and obviously have some minor wording issues that come from non-native speakers.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If you read the updates or watched their weekly Facebook live updates, you'll see that they have a team of native english speakers that will be helping to write/translate the game. All the KS updates are done in-house, and obviously have some minor wording issues that come from non-native speakers.
That's good to hear. I haven't been following the updates closely at all. I'm pretty excited about it, but it's a long ways away.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously considering selling my all-in Cthulhu Death May Die pledge, which includes the ridiculous R'yleh (giant) mini. It'd fund all my KS's for the rest of the year, including the all-in on Middara. >.>

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The announcements I'm most interested in are Contra, Marvel Champions (only a bit, I suspect I'll just stick with Legendary), and Zombicide 2.0.

And while they're not really related to Gen Con, I'm probably going to get Cartographers and possibly Roll for Adventure soon. Only thing I'm not sure about with RfA is I already have a bunch of dice allocation games, and am definitely getting Dark Side Rising later this year., so I'm just not sure if I want to get another.

Wait shit. There is going to be a Zombicide 2nd edition?

Crap should I hold off on my purchase of Zombicide until this one comes out?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait shit. There is going to be a Zombicide 2nd edition?

Crap should I hold off on my purchase of Zombicide until this one comes out?

Depends. The first 2.0 release is going to be in the setting of the original game, which is modern times. It'll be awhile before they get around to "2.0ing" the medieval stuff. So it's really about what setting is interesting to you.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about Etherfields as well, not sure if I'll go in on it or not. In general, I've been fairly hesitant about getting board games this year, I've picked up a couple that ended up being too complex, will probably sell them locally. I did have a pledge for Smartphone Inc, dropped that as well.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Depends. The first 2.0 release is going to be in the setting of the original game, which is modern times. It'll be awhile before they get around to "2.0ing" the medieval stuff. So it's really about what setting is interesting to you.

The modern stuff was what I was looking for so I'll guess I'll hold off.

Guess being sick all day Sunday worked out.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The modern stuff was what I was looking for so I'll guess I'll hold off.

Guess being sick all day Sunday worked out.

If you want a shit ton of OG Zombicide, boy do I have a collection I could sell you... ;)

Same here but i have short time to decide on the Full Moon or not.

I'm so selective on games, I'll probably go all-in. I usually only buy a game a year, if that. So I don't mind spending a little more on this one, ha.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
If you want a shit ton of OG Zombicide, boy do I have a collection I could sell you... ;)

I'm so selective on games, I'll probably go all-in. I usually only buy a game a year, if that. So I don't mind spending a little more on this one, ha.
I'll probably go all-in too since I love Bloodborne a ton. Hope it is good single player.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What is everyone looking forward to now after gen con?
I think this is my preorder list

MegaCity: Oceania

Terror below

Time chase

Black Angel
This was my first gen con... I wish I took notes on everything haha it's so hard for me to remember it all.

Sleeping gods
Epic spell wizards annihalgeddon (sold out just before I got to the booth!)
Everdell (shoulda just picked it up at the booth but I was worried about packing too many things)

Those are just the things off the top of my head, I gotta sit down and make a list.

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first gen con... I wish I took notes on everything haha it's so hard for me to remember it all.

Sleeping gods
Epic spell wizards annihalgeddon (sold out just before I got to the booth!)
Everdell (shoulda just picked it up at the booth but I was worried about packing too many things)

Those are just the things off the top of my head, I gotta sit down and make a list.

I got Everdell last year and it's one of my top 3 games of all time. I love it. I recently got the expansion but haven't got to try it yet

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Do you have a link to his review/impressions? I'm really looking forward to it wann see what they say

He's refused to go in to it further, other than saying he didn't like it.

Aww man I'm really regretting not grabbing it, but also, my wallet pleeeease.

If it helps I had Everdell and sold it after three plays. There are much better engine builders out there imo and the game is incredibly fragile when we played it- if you didn't get the correct card draw you'd be drowning in resources trying to get things moving. All four of us agreed we'd rather play TfM if we're insisting on a card based engine builder.

Speaking of engine builders I've played Pipeline again after initially hating my first experience with it my second play was much more positive. I'm worried about its shelf life however as it feels like a puzzle that, once you've solved, doesn't have much more to give. The interaction in the markets doesn't seem to give enough bite to make me want to play it over say 18XX or FCM.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm guessing late pledges ended when the Pledge Manager was originally set to close on Aug 2. If you are keen, it'd be worth sending them an email. They might be able to accomodate you. The Pledge Manager was extended until the 5th for backers.

So emailing worked!

Just to be sure, if I want everything what do I need? Both the Blood Moon Pledge and Full Moon Set?

U4oZwyU.jpg

Cthuhlu May Die or Middara??

I would assume Cthuhlu. Middara Part 1 is already available for previous backers so there are a lot more opinions/reviews available.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Chromie

Add the Full Moon Pledge to get all the extras and you'll be set to have ALL the stuff available. It will put you at $350 + shipping.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
So emailing worked!

Just to be sure, if I want everything what do I need? Both the Blood Moon Pledge and Full Moon Set?

U4oZwyU.jpg

I would assume Cthuhlu. Middara Part 1 is already available for previous backers so there are a lot more opinions/reviews available.
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. You have it right, you only need the Blood Moon Pledge and Full Moon Set to have everything.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. You have it right, you only need the Blood Moon Pledge and Full Moon Set to have everything.
Chromie

Add the Full Moon Pledge to get all the extras and you'll be set to have ALL the stuff available. It will put you at $350 + shipping.
Welp, looks like I'm cancelling Dice Throne then. As much as I'd like it, my friends aren't into pvp enough for me to get season 1/2 for the co-op stuff.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What's the last game that was a complete hit at your table? Looking for something new for our group. Overplayed Tyrants of the Underdark, Villainous, and Betrayal.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What's the last game that was a complete hit at your table? Looking for something new for our group. Overplayed Tyrants of the Underdark, Villainous, and Betrayal.

How big of a group?

Mini Diver City is like Hanabi but harder and more to do (2-7 players)
Draftosaurus is quick and interesting (2-5 players)
Tortuga 1667 has been a huge hit (2-9 players)
The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 (4-8 players)
Space Park is like a reverse worker placement (1-4 players)
Campy Creatures (3-5 players)
Railroad Ink (1-?, more boxes = more players)
Cryptid (3-5 players)

Also, have you tried Root or the new edition of Ancient World?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the recs! What app do you use to track plays? I like data like that.

If you have an iPhone, BoardGameStats (BGStats?). It is like a dollar or two but can sync and upload all your plays to BGG. Keeps tracks of players names, locations, duration, scores, roles that win...more info you give it, the more stats you got.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Thanks for the recs! What app do you use to track plays? I like data like that.

I think I use BGStats. :)

Can I join your group? :)

If you can put up with a bunch of overweight and grumpy English men sure. :p

(That's half deprecating joke half truth. I did play FCM with my GF, her sister and her flatmate. They all loved it and would normally be totally out of their wheelhouse but, eh, mean economic strategy games bringing the world together apparently.)

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about Quirky Circuits. Light coop action programming that sounds like a combination of RoboRally and The Mind (neither of which I own, but the combination of which seems to appeal to me). Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Played a round of Thanos Rising last night. I'm really enjoying that one for its simplicity. However, I feel like you need to seed the asset deck to avoid ridiculous swings in difficulty. And I'm not sure the game is balanced well for more than 2 players...With 3 or 4, it takes a lot longer to build up your team, so you're forced to resolve more Infinity Stone rolls and more Thanos bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Lost Cities yesterday at Target while we were shopping for $8.99. What a quick fun game. I played the solitaire rules just to familiarize my self with the rules but this will be a hit with the wife I think.

Seems target has their full array of new games on display. Mostly licensed and party games with Spiels des jahres winners and nominees sprinkled in. Going to keep an eye on Photosynthesis as it seems like the odd game out and a candidate for a future clearance event.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Lost Cities yesterday at Target while we were shopping for $8.99. What a quick fun game. I played the solitaire rules just to familiarize my self with the rules but this will be a hit with the wife I think.

Lost Cities is a fantastic 2p game, and I didn't know it had a solo variant. How does that work?

Oct 26, 2017
Lost Cities is a fantastic 2p game, and I didn't know it had a solo variant. How does that work?

Warning! It is not well received, but it worked well enough to teach myself the game and I had fun.

Basically removes half the deck and discards are gone from play for good, but is made up for in that you get to play until all cards in your hand are played instead of the last card drawn from the draw pile.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017

Seems target has their full array of new games on display. Mostly licensed and party games with Spiels des jahres winners and nominees sprinkled in. Going to keep an eye on Photosynthesis as it seems like the odd game out and a candidate for a future clearance event.

Jaws and Horrified are actually good licensed games that Target sells.

Sleeping Gods hit KS today. I think I have enough of these type of games now and on the way but it looks good.

Also, supposedly there is a Trudvang announcement tonight that will address some of the concerns. We shall see. I haven't canceled yet.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the announcement but I doubt much would keep my interest. I cancelled and put the money towards Dinogenics.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This email is to let you know that your Aeon's End item(s) have shipped, or are shipping very soon!
1 x IBCAETW01: Aeon's End Into the Wild

1 x WAVE_4: Aeon's End: Wave 4 Bundle

guess I need to try to finish up legacy soon :P

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait until the new Defenders of the Realm 2nd edition hits later this year. I really enjoyed the original.

Last edited:

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
This email is to let you know that your Aeon's End item(s) have shipped, or are shipping very soon!
1 x IBCAETW01: Aeon's End Into the Wild

1 x WAVE_4: Aeon's End: Wave 4 Bundle

guess I need to try to finish up legacy soon :P

Haven't got my notification yet, eagerly awaiting it still :(

I got the accessory packs finally (never caught the game on KS so I never had the original set) so that's what I'm most excited about

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017