• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had a nice conversation with Brett Sobol about The Reckoners expansions that should hit KS by the end of the year. The impression was that it's going to cover the remainder of the Reckoners series, and enough content and new mechanics to be considered two new games than just additional Reckoners, Epics, items, and maps. The Firefight content seemed more of a deduction/tracking bit, with a difficulty curve embedded in as you get closer to tracking the boss Epic. The other, iirc, will deal more in having to strategically move around as the locations get affected by a new mechanic that those who read Calamity could imagine.

Played a round of Thanos Rising last night. I'm really enjoying that one for its simplicity. However, I feel like you need to seed the asset deck to avoid ridiculous swings in difficulty. And I'm not sure the game is balanced well for more than 2 players...With 3 or 4, it takes a lot longer to build up your team, so you're forced to resolve more Infinity Stone rolls and more Thanos bullshit.

You eventually get the right rhythm for Thanos Rising at higher player counts, though it gets ridiculously unbalanced at the difficulty adjustments beyond the default.

Speaking of that game, I was actually impressed with Death Eaters Rising. Similar loop, but the corruption mechanic to the locations gave it the right sort of change from the Thanos Rising system. However, my brief time with it have the impression that it may be a tad more difficult than Thanoa Rising for newer players due to the additional system.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Well he relented.

TW: Savage thoughts on Black Angel.

"Ok, because you asked I'll tell. Don't hold it against me.

1. No narrative at all. What are you doing in this game? Putting cards and scoring points. Game components represent non tangible things, the flow does not tell what you're doing at all, this makes a medium complexity system hard to visualise. No theme.
2. Nothing big to achieve. You do stuff on your turn, then you score some points, while having built not much. Rinse, repeat. Turn 5 plays almost the same as turn 10, except you get one more pointless cube.
3. No long term strategy. You get cards and tiles that may or may not turn into things that score you some piecemeal VP.
4. No interesting interaction. Some actions are good at some times, and another person might do it before it's your turn, but it's not like you are sitting there tense, hoping to pull off something. Do I get to score 1 VP from this move, or do I need to go find something else to do? Whatever. This means that since each turn has 3 substeps, while they are going through the motions you are bored.
5. Everything is lukewarm. You get a stuff, you sell a stuff for a point, so you get another stuff as a side effect. Repeat.

I'm not saying every game needs long term strategy, exciting interaction, narrative experience, feeling of progression, big achievements, etc. But a game needs at least ONE of those things.

To summarize in one sentence: criminally unsatisfying."

Oct 25, 2017
Well he relented.

1. No narrative at all. What are you doing in this game? Putting cards and scoring points. Game components represent non tangible things, the flow does not tell what you're doing at all, this makes a medium complexity system hard to visualise. No theme.
2. Nothing big to achieve. You do stuff on your turn, then you score some points, while having built not much. Rinse, repeat. Turn 5 plays almost the same as turn 10, except you get one more pointless cube.
3. No long term strategy. You get cards and tiles that may or may not turn into things that score you some piecemeal VP.
4. No interesting interaction. Some actions are good at some times, and another person might do it before it's your turn, but it's not like you are sitting there tense, hoping to pull off something. Do I get to score 1 VP from this move, or do I need to go find something else to do? Whatever. This means that since each turn has 3 substeps, while they are going through the motions you are bored.
5. Everything is lukewarm. You get a stuff, you sell a stuff for a point, so you get another stuff as a side effect. Repeat.

I'm not saying every game needs long term strategy, exciting interaction, narrative experience, feeling of progression, big achievements, etc. But a game needs at least ONE of those things.

Dang he was super down on it.
Hopefully more impressions start popping up since it sold well at gen con.
Thanks for posting that

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
What were people mad about? Stretch goals were too high?
Part of the issue. 100$ base pledge for a low complexity chose your own story narrative game with far too little content and material to justify the price tag. 30-50$ shipping on top. Stretch goals weren't happening because of unrealistically high expectations, e. g. 100$k for one mini. Everything over inflated by early bird pledges.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of that game, I was actually impressed with Death Eaters Rising. Similar loop, but the corruption mechanic to the locations gave it the right sort of change from the Thanos Rising system. However, my brief time with it have the impression that it may be a tad more difficult than Thanoa Rising for newer players due to the additional system.

Oh, wow. I missed that announcement.

I already have Thanos Rising and plan to import Dark Side Rising later this year. Will I buy a third version of this system? Yes.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
If you can put up with a bunch of overweight and grumpy English men sure. :p

(That's half deprecating joke half truth. I did play FCM with my GF, her sister and her flatmate. They all loved it and would normally be totally out of their wheelhouse but, eh, mean economic strategy games bringing the world together apparently.)

Well, as a grump overweight Scotsman (a few thousand miles away!), I think that might work ;) It's far too long since I played Food Chain Magnate.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I played my first game of Spirit Island tonight. And what an awesome game! I really liked it, even though I lost so bad... This game is hard! I'll really need to play a few more times to properly wrap my head around the puzzle.

That was a solo game using the River Surges in Sunlight spirit. It ended with a very agonizing death by blight. I've never been able to deal enough damage to really slow down the invasion. I probably didn't figured out how to play this spirit properly. Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to the next session. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit better...

Oct 26, 2017
I played my first game of Spirit Island tonight. And what an awesome game! I really liked it, even though I lost so bad... This game is hard! I'll really need to play a few more times to properly wrap my head around the puzzle.

That was a solo game using the River Surges in Sunlight spirit. It ended with a very agonizing death by blight. I've never been able to deal enough damage to really slow down the invasion. I probably didn't figured out how to play this spirit properly. Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to the next session. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit better...

Nice. Couple of tips that helped me.

1: prioritize inland lands. Explorers can only explore in lands with or adjacent to a land with a town or city or the coast. The latter you can't do anything about so getting them out of the inland can reduce the amount of areas you have to focus on later.

2: you can't and won't resolve every invader phase perfectly so settle for an early land (preferably on the coast and not already blighted) to get out of control so you can focus on what is ravaging in two turns from now.

Rivers is great at both of the above as it lets you push towns and explorers around and consolidate them to a land that you have already given up on...until you become more powerful and decimate it on a single turn later.

Ps. Rivers has a Reclaim One on its bottom presence track that allows you to reclaim one power card every time after the growth phase not just the first time you uncover it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
2: you can't and won't resolve every invader phase perfectly so settle for an early land (preferably on the coast and not already blighted) to get out of control so you can focus on what is ravaging in two turns from now.

Rivers is great at both of the above as it lets you push towns and explorers around and consolidate them to a land that you have already given up on...until you become more powerful and decimate it on a single turn later.

But isn't piling up a large amount of invaders on the same land bad for blight control? I'm guessing blight could begin spilling out of that land pretty quickly...

Oct 26, 2017
But isn't piling up a large amount of invaders on the same land bad for blight control? I'm guessing blight could begin spilling out of that land pretty quickly...

First blight only blights that land which took 2 or more damage. Remember even if 10 damage is done it still only causes one blight. When a land with blight is damaged enough to blight again another blight is added to that land and ONE adjacent land NOT all adjacent lands. Many people who have played Pandemic make that last mistake.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
First blight only blights that land which took 2 or more damage. Remember even if 10 damage is done it still only causes one blight. When a land with blight is damaged enough to blight again another blight is added to that land and ONE adjacent land NOT all adjacent lands. Many people who have played Pandemic make that last mistake.

I think I see what you mean. I'll definitely try that in my next game.

Thanks for the tips, it's much appreciated! This game is not easy to conquer... It seems to have a huge amount of replayability, though.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I felt really gross having done so but I put $340 into the pledge manager for the Street Fighter Miniatures Game last night before going to work. They won't even comment on shipping except to say that they still don't have estimates yet and won't until everything is ready, which seems like a big red flag. It's likely that the estimates from the beginning of the campaign are way too low for what it will wind up costing though. And then timeline keeps slipping back too. I don't think there's much danger that it'll end up being whatever the physical equivilant of vaporeware is; Jasco isn't going to get tanked by this or anything and should deliver on something. I'm pretty worried though, but I just really want it to happen and be good so badly that it has clouded my judgement.

The game won't be finished for a while anyway though, so I guess it's now best to try to forget about it. They most recent timeline they gave wasn't believable and I can't see it getting done before Chinese New Year, so then we'll get the big "Oh, we forgot that Chinese New Year is totally a thing!" update. Maybe by this time next year I'll have it in my hands though.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to open up Kingdom Death: Monster with some expansions but I'm not sure where to begin. I am not a KS backer but based on the most recent update, presumably I should be ordering Gambler's Chest when it's available to order on Black Friday. What other currently available or upcoming expansions and content packs should I consider? To those familiar with the Strain system, is the Echoes of Death Series 1 Pack worth buying?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who has seen or maybe has a Rising Sun insert from one of the big companies (Go7, Daedalus, Meeple Realty, Broken Token): Any thoughts on a good one to get? A problem I have with big games like that where I got everything from the Kickstarter and its multiple boxes is that when I get them, organizing them seems like a chose and so I shelve them for long periods of time. I'd like to play my copy of Rising Sun, I've decided, so I need an insert.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
As is their response to the logo change...

"BGG welcomes all gamers, whatever your level of experience or particular tastes, and updating the logo reflects our belief that gaming is for everyone, not just geeky guys with glasses. Whatever our differences individually, gaming brings us together. Our new symbol is a nod to BGG's past, while also inviting you to see yourself in that silhouette — or to find your passion for play represented in that "game flame".

It isn't their message that bothers me. But that is pretty poor justification for an awful logo.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

"BGG welcomes all gamers, whatever your level of experience or particular tastes, and updating the logo reflects our belief that gaming is for everyone, not just geeky guys with glasses. Whatever our differences individually, gaming brings us together. Our new symbol is a nod to BGG's past, while also inviting you to see yourself in that silhouette — or to find your passion for play represented in that "game flame".

It isn't their message that bothers me. But that is pretty poor justification for an awful logo.

So not just geeky guys but silhouette of cool guy with gelled up hair?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who has seen or maybe has a Rising Sun insert from one of the big companies (Go7, Daedalus, Meeple Realty, Broken Token): Any thoughts on a good one to get? A problem I have with big games like that where I got everything from the Kickstarter and its multiple boxes is that when I get them, organizing them seems like a chose and so I shelve them for long periods of time. I'd like to play my copy of Rising Sun, I've decided, so I need an insert.

I've only ever gotten inserts from Go7 and Broken Token so can only speak to them, and between those two I find Go7 has much better quality. I only get a BT insert if Go7 doesn't have one as their selection is more limited.

Go7 has a bundle to store everything from the KS for $100: https://go7gaming.com/product/storage-bundle-rising-sun-ks/

And Broken Token has one for $125: https://www.thebrokentoken.com/rising-sun-daimyo-collection-organizer

I'm unfamiliar with the game but each store says these hold everything so maybe double check in case I missed something.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

To be fair, every logo redesign ever comes with a bullshit explanation that tries to make the logo seem like it has many deep layers. It's the logo designer trying to justify the cost :-p

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sad that the microbookmarks at the top-right of the screen are gone. Those were pretty much the only way I used to navigate the site.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I felt really gross having done so but I put $340 into the pledge manager for the Street Fighter Miniatures Game last night before going to work. They won't even comment on shipping except to say that they still don't have estimates yet and won't until everything is ready, which seems like a big red flag. It's likely that the estimates from the beginning of the campaign are way too low for what it will wind up costing though. And then timeline keeps slipping back too. I don't think there's much danger that it'll end up being whatever the physical equivilant of vaporeware is; Jasco isn't going to get tanked by this or anything and should deliver on something. I'm pretty worried though, but I just really want it to happen and be good so badly that it has clouded my judgement.

The game won't be finished for a while anyway though, so I guess it's now best to try to forget about it. They most recent timeline they gave wasn't believable and I can't see it getting done before Chinese New Year, so then we'll get the big "Oh, we forgot that Chinese New Year is totally a thing!" update. Maybe by this time next year I'll have it in my hands though.

Yeah I think it will eventually happen. I'm just not sure if I'll be alive to see it. That was the first KS that I ever backed and I'm going to receive so many others before it arrives. I just want the Dragon Ball version.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think it will eventually happen. I'm just not sure if I'll be alive to see it. That was the first KS that I ever backed and I'm going to receive so many others before it arrives. I just want the Dragon Ball version.

Do we know for sure if they can still do it? Didn't IDW or someone get the license for a minis game?

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know for sure if they can still do it? Didn't IDW or someone get the license for a minis game?

I really don't know, but I'm trying to be optimistic. Hector's DB sculpts looked fantastic. That being said, I'm also hopeful that IDW's miniature game works out well. They are partnering with CMON again, so the minis should at least look decent. I've been longing for a decent DB game and could you imagine if we somehow got two?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know, but I'm trying to be optimistic. Hector's DB sculpts looked fantastic. That being said, I'm also hopeful that IDW's miniature game works out well. They are partnering with CMON again, so the minis should at least look decent. I've been longing for a decent DB game and could you imagine if we somehow got two?

I want both to happen but which I pick will be difficult. I wouldn't spend the money or dedicate the space to an all in for the Jasco one like I did SF so I think about just getting the IDW one, but then I think the Jasco game will probably be a better game. I just want a shitload of saiyans, Freeze, and Cell to beat the shit out of each other.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I want both to happen but which I pick will be difficult. I wouldn't spend the money or dedicate the space to an all in for the Jasco one like I did SF so I think about just getting the IDW one, but then I think the Jasco game will probably be a better game. I just want a shitload of saiyans, Freeze, and Cell to beat the shit out of each other.

Yeah, if they look good, I will all in for both of them probably. I've tried to cut back on buying everything, but to have good DB games is too enticing. I think it would be cool to get some Super and GT expansion packs like they did for the different Street Fighter games.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Jamey Stegmeier's civiliz civilization game is finally announced.
Tapestry

Some highlights from the FB livestream Q&A

• First print run is 25000 to be exact. The English copies even have the exact number of each copy of the first print run on the front of the box (like "2155/25000"), which is a nice touch.
  • It is his most expensive game. And Scythe is $90 msrp. So I would budget for at least $95 if I were you.
  • Sculpts: He made it sound like there aren't miniature people (soldiers, etc.). So I'm guessing the sculpts will be more like structures, buildings, etc., that go onto the board or your player mat. These are likely the main contributors to it being his "most expensive game."
  • He also mentioned there are lots of asymmetrical civilizations you can start with, more will be left in the box than on the table in a five player game. At the beginning of the game, each player will have "a few" to choose from that were randomly dealt out. They stick with one Civ throughout the game.
  • There is a tile laying element on your player mat, somewhat similar to A Feast for Odin. I believe he also mentioned that there are progression tracks you advance on and lots of income (points?) scored in the final rounds, somewhat similar to Russian Railroads. I didn't catch if he mentioned how it relates to Mombasa. But he identified these three games as his biggest sources of inspiration for the game (including the Civilization video game).
  • Expect to be able to see the game played by the end of this month or beginning of September (when preorders will also go live). Also expect a Watch It Played (Rules explanation) video. 11 copies were shipped yesterday to reviewers, a podcaster, Rodney, etc.
  • The game has mainly positive player interaction, very little negative interaction, and other players may benefit from one player's developments.
  • The game has loads of easter eggs (mainly on the cards or board)
  • It will be available to demo/purchase at Essen Spiel, so expect a retail release before that date
  • The main difference between Tapestry and existing Civ games is that Tapestry is not based on real world history. This was a major focus during the design... that you can make your own Civilization and chart your own path.
  • The rule book is 4 pages, which is one of Jamey's proudest achievements of the game. The rule book is also the same fancy material as the Wingspan rule book.
  • The game took roughly 18 months to develop (from initial idea to today)
  • No expansions planned yet, but he has an idea brewing for at least one expansion
  • He personally ranked the complexity at 3, and said Scythe was closer to 3.5 while Wingspan was 2-2.5.
  • The game board is smaller than Scythe (it is a 4 fold) and is different each game as players will lay out hex tiles on the board.
  • The box is the same dimensions as the Wingspan box, except 10 cm deep rather than 7 cm deep. Don't remember the exact weight, but he might have said 2.8 or 2.9 pounds.
  • The box has a custom tray/insert, but it is not from Game Trayz
  • No wood components, though it sounds like the sculpts are more unique and clay-like than regular plastic minis
  • While this is his most expensive game, he also stated this is by far his fanciest production and companies will have a hard time coming up with premium versions of his already premium components
  • While there are lots of variable Civs to start with, you can choose your color of pieces (so more like Viticulture than Scythe in choosing player colors)
  • Everyone will be able to preorder at the same time directly from Stonemaier in early September, but it will ship to Stonemaier champions first (and for free in the US or discounted internationally)
  • There is no catch-up/rubber band mechanism. He didn't feel the need to add one as there are many paths players can take and he tried to keep them as balanced as possible. It is also pretty hard to tell who is winning during the game. The winner is the player with the most victory points at the end of the game.
  • There is very little (if any at all) luck in the game. The best player will win.
  • The game spans from primitive Civ all the way to near future. The Civs are all human, just different races and cultures and such. They have different ideologies and philosophies, but there are no religions in the game. Diplomacy is not a core element in the game.
  • The game is self contained (not Legacy or campaign style), but has a lot of variability and replayability.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking forward to that until I saw that Dávid Turczi (Anachrony fame among others) had bought it, played it with three people, everyone hated it! He sold it after one play! I don't trust any reviews that the Dice Tower put out- they are always overly positive for very mediocre games so I'm having to wait for more impressions. :(

Still I should have City of the Big Shoulders some point this month hopefully to fill the new hotness gap. :)
Well he relented.

Who's TW?

Really big fan of Troyes - even though I've only played it the one time. When I heard about Black Angel, I was super excited as I loved the space/AI theme. But I've watched Rahdo's and Heavy Cardboard's playthrus (quite a bit of it), and im unsure where I stand on this now. On the one hand, Rahdo says its his favourite game this year, but I'm just not seeing it. On Mars and Black Angel will literally be out at the same time, and On Mars just looks way more intuitive a design. Truth be told, Im kinda lost what's going on here - the playthrus aren't really helping in that regard as they're just explaining stuff, but I can't see any of the iconography and can't link many of the concepts together. I'm going to read thru the rules and then watch a play thru again, before I reconsider a purchase.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Jamey Stegmeier's civiliz civilization game is finally announced.
Tapestry

Some highlights from the FB livestream Q&A

• First print run is 25000 to be exact. The English copies even have the exact number of each copy of the first print run on the front of the box (like "2155/25000"), which is a nice touch.
  • It is his most expensive game. And Scythe is $90 msrp. So I would budget for at least $95 if I were you.
  • Sculpts: He made it sound like there aren't miniature people (soldiers, etc.). So I'm guessing the sculpts will be more like structures, buildings, etc., that go onto the board or your player mat. These are likely the main contributors to it being his "most expensive game."
  • He also mentioned there are lots of asymmetrical civilizations you can start with, more will be left in the box than on the table in a five player game. At the beginning of the game, each player will have "a few" to choose from that were randomly dealt out. They stick with one Civ throughout the game.
  • There is a tile laying element on your player mat, somewhat similar to A Feast for Odin. I believe he also mentioned that there are progression tracks you advance on and lots of income (points?) scored in the final rounds, somewhat similar to Russian Railroads. I didn't catch if he mentioned how it relates to Mombasa. But he identified these three games as his biggest sources of inspiration for the game (including the Civilization video game).
  • Expect to be able to see the game played by the end of this month or beginning of September (when preorders will also go live). Also expect a Watch It Played (Rules explanation) video. 11 copies were shipped yesterday to reviewers, a podcaster, Rodney, etc.
  • The game has mainly positive player interaction, very little negative interaction, and other players may benefit from one player's developments.
  • The game has loads of easter eggs (mainly on the cards or board)
  • It will be available to demo/purchase at Essen Spiel, so expect a retail release before that date
  • The main difference between Tapestry and existing Civ games is that Tapestry is not based on real world history. This was a major focus during the design... that you can make your own Civilization and chart your own path.
  • The rule book is 4 pages, which is one of Jamey's proudest achievements of the game. The rule book is also the same fancy material as the Wingspan rule book.
  • The game took roughly 18 months to develop (from initial idea to today)
  • No expansions planned yet, but he has an idea brewing for at least one expansion
  • He personally ranked the complexity at 3, and said Scythe was closer to 3.5 while Wingspan was 2-2.5.
  • The game board is smaller than Scythe (it is a 4 fold) and is different each game as players will lay out hex tiles on the board.
  • The box is the same dimensions as the Wingspan box, except 10 cm deep rather than 7 cm deep. Don't remember the exact weight, but he might have said 2.8 or 2.9 pounds.
  • The box has a custom tray/insert, but it is not from Game Trayz
  • No wood components, though it sounds like the sculpts are more unique and clay-like than regular plastic minis
  • While this is his most expensive game, he also stated this is by far his fanciest production and companies will have a hard time coming up with premium versions of his already premium components
  • While there are lots of variable Civs to start with, you can choose your color of pieces (so more like Viticulture than Scythe in choosing player colors)
  • Everyone will be able to preorder at the same time directly from Stonemaier in early September, but it will ship to Stonemaier champions first (and for free in the US or discounted internationally)
  • There is no catch-up/rubber band mechanism. He didn't feel the need to add one as there are many paths players can take and he tried to keep them as balanced as possible. It is also pretty hard to tell who is winning during the game. The winner is the player with the most victory points at the end of the game.
  • There is very little (if any at all) luck in the game. The best player will win.
  • The game spans from primitive Civ all the way to near future. The Civs are all human, just different races and cultures and such. They have different ideologies and philosophies, but there are no religions in the game. Diplomacy is not a core element in the game.
  • The game is self contained (not Legacy or campaign style), but has a lot of variability and replayability.

Thanks so much for this - had no idea there was a Q&A. Scythe is one of my favourite games, so I'l definitely keep an eye on this, though it'll have to be a REALLY good civilization game for me to get it right now. Just a bit burnt out on the genre. At least the rule book is only 4 pages!

Also it's REALLY interesting - that its gone to the printer without there being an attempt to guage public interest, like say an announcement and see how many people were interested. Considering what happened with Wingspan, I would have thought he would at least want to have an estimate. That said 25000 isn't a whole lot given its his next game after Scythe.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for this - had no idea there was a Q&A. Scythe is one of my favourite games, so I'l definitely keep an eye on this, though it'll have to be a REALLY good civilization game for me to get it right now. Just a bit burnt out on the genre. At least the rule book is only 4 pages!

Also it's REALLY interesting - that its gone to the printer without there being an attempt to guage public interest, like say an announcement and see how many people were interested. Considering what happened with Wingspan, I would have thought he would at least want to have an estimate. That said 25000 isn't a whole lot given its his next game after Scythe.

I mean, he's getting my money based on Scythe alone. I'm sure I'm not the only one. That plus FOMO.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So is Wingspan but there was a whole lot of drama about that game.

I'm talking about FOMO for the average fan, it's not like it's kickstarter and it won't ever get printed again. You just have to wait a bit for it to be reprinted.

Yes Wingspan seemed like a bit of a mess with retailers and fans. They should really revamp the preorder system between distributors and retailers and customers.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Only SM games I like is Between Two Cities and occasional bouts of Viticulture. The rest of his games: Wingspan, Scythe are over hyped, middle of the road shite to me with great production qualities.

I'm totally going to buy two copies of Tapestry though as I'll be able to flip them for a profit like I did with my extra copy of Wingspan.

On a happier note, I had my third game of Pipeline last night- that game really does take 2-3 games to really get your head around it. One of the people who played it flat out refused to play it again though as he hates games with any complex and interconnected mechanics (ala The Gallerist).

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Who's TW?

Really big fan of Troyes - even though I've only played it the one time. When I heard about Black Angel, I was super excited as I loved the space/AI theme. But I've watched Rahdo's and Heavy Cardboard's playthrus (quite a bit of it), and im unsure where I stand on this now. On the one hand, Rahdo says its his favourite game this year, but I'm just not seeing it. On Mars and Black Angel will literally be out at the same time, and On Mars just looks way more intuitive a design. Truth be told, Im kinda lost what's going on here - the playthrus aren't really helping in that regard as they're just explaining stuff, but I can't see any of the iconography and can't link many of the concepts together. I'm going to read thru the rules and then watch a play thru again, before I reconsider a purchase.

As someone who's played Troyes more times than most other games in my collection, I was really interested in Black Angel. Those three designers have done some great work. This one just seems weird and like you said, a bunch of concepts thrown together without much connecting them.

Troyes is not exactly a "simple" game, either (although much less of a pain than a lot of popular games nowadays). But it does have a clarity to what you're doing and the goals you're going for. There is something really interesting about its central dice mechanic, and tensiob in figuring out your different options with the dice, and the order you resolve in.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
25 minutes left on Etherfield KS.
they pretty much reached all their stretch goals including the latest one they added yesterday. i went with the Gameplay only. i mean mini are cool and all. don't need it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
25 minutes left on Etherfield KS.
they pretty much reached all their stretch goals including the latest one they added yesterday. i went with the Gameplay only. i mean mini are cool and all. don't need it.
Ugh I got into mini painting at gen con. Wound up driving my backing up to the one with the extra minis.