• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
If you have seen the slightly awkward demo video from CMON, the preliminary rule extract and some of the Gencon impressions, no, no new straight up gameplay videos I'm aware of. The only other significant tidbit was specific to the Thornbeast, where they described some of its mechanics. Sounds like it can attack settlements, implying that other game mechanics can effect them as well.

Some (post) Gencon impressions from someone who seems to have demoed the game there. Take with a bucket of salt/subjective opinion.

The way CMON has reacted has been pretty good, but I'm still just not sure yet. I cancelled my pledge but put a dollar down to give me more time to think on it. It also will give me time to see what Aeons's Trespass will be about hopefully. One of the main perks of Trudvang is that it seems light enough that it could be played with tons of people. The other games I'm excited for would probably take a dedicated group.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Is the market just worn out for big box mini heavy kickstarters? Between the reactions on here, and seeing more & more overpriced "complete" mini KS just languish on people's for sale lists, it seems people are worn out of spending that amount of cash for underbaked games...

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is the market just worn out for big box mini heavy kickstarters? Between the reactions on here, and seeing more & more overpriced "complete" mini KS just languish on people's for sale lists, it seems people are worn out of spending that amount of cash for underbaked games...
I think people may be burnt out on CMON stuff (or maybe it's just Trudvang). Etherfields just did pretty good numbers, and there are some other minis-heavy games coming to KS in the coming months, so we'll see if it's a trend or not.

Oct 26, 2017
Any fans of the Oniverse series? I have 200 plays of Onirim on iOS (it's free and everyone should try it) and when I saw the newest game, Aerion, at a local store I had to get it.

Comparing the base games Aerion is much easier than Onirim, but I love that as it is easy to explain and I love that it is a take on Yahtzee, a game I've always loved playing growing up and recently started playing with our son. It took the Yahtzee formula and gave it much more meat and much more interesting decision making with many more ways to manipulate the dice but some of those ways can accelerate you to the end game or put you in a bind later. Plus there's 6 expansions included and the rule book points out several ways to up the challenge. Wonderful game and really want to try it 2 player.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Any fans of the Oniverse series? I have 200 plays of Onirim on iOS (it's free and everyone should try it) and when I saw the newest game, Aerion, at a local store I had to get it.

Comparing the base games Aerion is much easier than Onirim, but I love that as it is easy to explain and I love that it is a take on Yahtzee, a game I've always loved playing growing up and recently started playing with our son. It took the Yahtzee formula and gave it much more meat and much more interesting decision making with many more ways to manipulate the dice but some of those ways can accelerate you to the end game or put you in a bind later. Plus there's 6 expansions included and the rule book points out several ways to up the challenge. Wonderful game and really want to try it 2 player.

I have them all.

My favorite of the series has to be Sylvion. It takes a lot of inspiration from Plants vs Zombies, but you play cards with specific powers and discard other cards to pay for them.

The basic game is enough to chew on for a while before you go to the advanced one and add in more varieties of cards and a cool draft system to build your deck.

A lot of those games are pretty good but a bit too light for me; Sylvion feels like the meatiest one so far.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably not as easy as before to be a very successfull big box mini heavy kickstarter, but the demand is clearly still there. Awaken Realms just had a 4M kickstarter.

I know the main reason it's harder to get me to back a game isn't because of how disapointed I was by previous projects ( on the big game side I only was disapointed by Gloomhaven, but that's totally subjective and I still hope to find a good opportunity to give it another try/chance ), it's mostly because they are often very time consuming games which don't get on the table every day, or week.. or month :x.
I now try to prioritize games which seems to be solo play friendly, as to make it more likely that I will actually play them often enough to justify their price.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
The market is probably not burned out per se, but definitely a lot more saturated than a couple of years ago. And people having already a bunch of huge mini heavy games may become more picky. The somewhat shaky Trudvang campaign seems to be of CMON's own making however:
  • Subjective, but the game frankly doesn't feel "exciting". Even less so, since a large part is story telling and there's practically no info on the actual story. Not a huge focus on individual mechanics other than the token pulling dice replacement mechanic and the game board inserts to store game state. Being story driven, it may also have lower replayability, which nobody can know for sure until the actual content is playable/shown.
  • While I think most minis are awesome, especially the base game ones and early stretch goal ones weren't exciting, either. The Trudvan universe's artwork seems to have a very unique asthetic I quite love, but it's very fantasy cliche with a nordic/celltic twist. You got a bunch of cliche hereos, a bunch of Goblin archers... err forest trolls, a fat Dragon and an ogre. It's only in the last couple of days that a bunch of amazing looking dragon sculpts, trolls etc. were piled onto the base pledge.
  • It starts at 100$, with 30$-40$+ shipping. And until later in the campaign, in terms of content it didn't look like there was anything to justify that price tag. The price tag was obviously chosen to cover a bunch of stretch goals, which are then not true "stretch goals" added because the campaign was so successful, but piecemeal goodie reveals to keep backers engaged. In short: Marketing bullshit. Unfortunately, that content wasn't being added to the pledge...
  • ...because CMON spaced stretch goals quite far apart and did not adapt after the initial "early bird" deal rush had died down to the point there were days without a single stretch goal being unlocked. Days in which the game looked overpriced and unexciting.
  • There was Etherfields running alongside it. Its aesthetics don't appeal to me, but it fills a similar game niche and there's no denying that it generated much, much more excitement. Not least because they didn't do above mistakes apparently and its imo utterly oversculpted and oversized statue-esque miniatures at the very least don't look like just another fantasy cliche.
  • CMON took their precious time to address any of above issues. They did in the end by adding a bunch of "stretch goals" at once and introducing daily unlocked stretch goals, but that was after the campaign was half over and was bleeding backers. Turns out, you shouldn't hope to fuel a campaign with marketing bullshit and "no gameplay because we can't spoil the story" platitudes and run it on autopilot, while the competition makes you look like a bunch of fools.
  • Unexpectedly exploding shipping costs of CMON's last mini heavy campaign left a very bad taste.
All things considered, the campaign hasn't nearly tanked as hard as it could have, approaching 1.35$Mio. atm. But CMON has also added daily unlocks, which I believe was unprecedented for them? Even though I'd consider the game concept not "exciting" in temr of novelty factor, I like it quite a bit and have hopes for it to turn out to be a great cozy story telling engine. And in the end, it's an amazing assortment of fantasy themed minis for me, with a severe bias towards trolls and dragons. 😂

Had I previously backed something like Joan of Arc however, my tolerance for Trudvang would be a lot lower. That game's pile of minis alone would fill the appartment more than I could justify. These mini heavy Kickstarter are getting insane, when you need a whole wall of shelves to store something like Joan of Arc's minis.

Last edited:

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
There's just so many really good games being released every year that it's hard for me to justify spending over $100 on anything.

In other news, I just grabbed that D&D beginner's mini painting kit from Army Painters on a whim. Am I in trouble? Any other mini painters out there with some basic advice for a complete newbie?

Oct 26, 2017
I have them all.

My favorite of the series has to be Sylvion. It takes a lot of inspiration from Plants vs Zombies, but you play cards with specific powers and discard other cards to pay for them.

The basic game is enough to chew on for a while before you go to the advanced one and add in more varieties of cards and a cool draft system to build your deck.

A lot of those games are pretty good but a bit too light for me; Sylvion feels like the meatiest one so far.

Sounds great. I was actually going to get Sylvion until I noticed they had Aerion. Maybe another day, I've accumulated quite a bit of games the last month or so with all of the clearance sales happening and the Half Price Books coupon sale was excellent for picking up some games. Just today I got Animated Batman Under Seige, Dragonwood, Rock Paper Wizards, and a new Scrabble that comes in a wooden box all for $8 plus tax at Barnes and Noble. The Mrs will be happy about the new scrabble, the old one is worn out and missing a letter or two and this new one comes with a bag to draw letters.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
The new painting hotness is Contrast paints from Citadel. They're voodoo magic in a pot. Make sure you look them up.

They're not though... They're like washes with specific properties that allow to produce a "good enough" look very quickly for certain types of model sculpts/surfaces. That is "hotness" only when speed is the primary concern.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They're not though... They're like washes with specific properties that allow to produce a "good enough" look very quickly for certain types of model sculpts/surfaces. That is "hotness" only when speed is the primary concern.

That's true. With my board game minis, I'm almost only ever concerned with "table ready" so they're a godsend for that.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I tried one contrast paint, and I think I'll pick up a few more later during some holiday sales. I think they're good for a certain type of model, but they won't replace my standard method of painting, which is somewhere around tabletop++.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The market is probably not burned out per se, but definitely a lot more saturated than a couple of years ago. And people having already a bunch of huge mini heavy games may become more picky. The somewhat shaky Trudvang campaign seems to be of CMON's own making however:
  • Subjective, but the game frankly doesn't feel "exciting". Even less so, since a large part is story telling and there's practically no info on the actual story. Not a huge focus on individual mechanics other than the token pulling dice replacement mechanic and the game board inserts to store game state. Being story driven, it may also have lower replayability, which nobody can know for sure until the actual content is playable/shown.
  • While I think most minis are awesome, especially the base game ones and early stretch goal ones weren't exciting, either. The Trudvan universe's artwork seems to have a very unique asthetic I quite love, but it's very fantasy cliche with a nordic/celltic twist. You got a bunch of cliche hereos, a bunch of Goblin archers... err forest trolls, a fat Dragon and an ogre. It's only in the last couple of days that a bunch of amazing looking dragon sculpts, trolls etc. were piled onto the base pledge.
  • It starts at 100$, with 30$-40$+ shipping. And until later in the campaign, in terms of content it didn't look like there was anything to justify that price tag. The price tag was obviously chosen to cover a bunch of stretch goals, which are then not true "stretch goals" added because the campaign was so successful, but piecemeal goodie reveals to keep backers engaged. In short: Marketing bullshit. Unfortunately, that content wasn't being added to the pledge...
  • ...because CMON spaced stretch goals quite far apart and did not adapt after the initial "early bird" deal rush had died down to the point there were days without a single stretch goal being unlocked. Days in which the game looked overpriced and unexciting.
  • There was Etherfields running alongside it. Its aesthetics don't appeal to me, but it fills a similar game niche and there's no denying that it generated much, much more excitement. Not least because they didn't do above mistakes apparently and its imo utterly oversculpted and oversized statue-esque miniatures at the very least don't look like just another fantasy cliche.
  • CMON took their precious time to address any of above issues. They did in the end by adding a bunch of "stretch goals" at once and introducing daily unlocked stretch goals, but that was after the campaign was half over and was bleeding backers. Turns out, you shouldn't hope to fuel a campaign with marketing bullshit and "no gameplay because we can't spoil the story" platitudes and run it on autopilot, while the competition makes you look like a bunch of fools.
  • Unexpectedly exploding shipping costs of CMON's last mini heavy campaign left a very bad taste.
All things considered, the campaign hasn't nearly tanked as hard as it could have, approaching 1.35$Mio. atm. But CMON has also added daily unlocks, which I believe was unprecedented for them? Even though I'd consider the game concept not "exciting" in temr of novelty factor, I like it quite a bit and have hopes for it to turn out to be a great cozy story telling engine. And in the end, it's an amazing assortment of fantasy themed minis for me, with a severe bias towards trolls and dragons. 😂

Had I previously backed something like Joan of Arc however, my tolerance for Trudvang would be a lot lower. That game's pile of minis alone would fill the appartment more than I could justify. These mini heavy Kickstarter are getting insane, when you need a whole wall of shelves to store something like Joan of Arc's minis.

Am not sure.... This gameplay seemed twitchy...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is Eric Lang actually the designer or just helping? If the latter that means jack poop. Next cmon game I back will be the Egyptian game from him in the Bloodrage series.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Did the old ks fail? Or did they pull it due to back lash over how pricey it was for so few miniatures?
idk. i checked my saved project and saw it was canceled. i don't think they even said anything but seeing as the first one was one pledge or nothing they only got like 46% funded after several days might have been it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
idk. i checked my saved project and saw it was canceled. i don't think they even said anything but seeing as the first one was one pledge or nothing they only got like 46% funded after several days might have been it.

Well the game looked bad and it didn't seem to be worth the price. It still looks bad but at least it's cheaper.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Am not sure.... This gameplay seemed twitchy...

I think it's fine or no more "twitchy" (?) than what I know from other games. But that video was not what I would call well presented, adding to an 'unexciting" game at best and turning people off at worst. On top, it's a demo scenario they said was specifically written to not spoil content...

I guess I'll find out how it really plays at some point.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's fine or no more "twitchy" (?) than what I know from other games. But that video was not what I would call well presented, adding to an 'unexciting" game at best and turning people off at worst. On top, it's a demo scenario they said was specifically written to not spoil content...

I guess I'll find out how it really plays at some point.

Yup. Am sure getting into the theme will really carry the day. Saying that I played a ton of Pandemic with my in-laws yesterday. Folks liked it so much we played pairs so 8 of us were crowded round. We won with a turn to spare.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Is Eric Lang actually the designer or just helping? If the latter that means jack poop. Next cmon game I back will be the Egyptian game from him in the Bloodrage series.
He's just helping, or possibly even just had his name thrown on there because his name sells. He's listed as the third designer on the BGG page, and in some interviews at GenCon, he didn't even mention Trudvang, and instead talked about Ankh and Cyberpunk. Not even a token "My latest game, Trudvang Chronicles, is on KS right now." So I personally believe he had little to nothing to do with it.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
He's just helping, or possibly even just had his name thrown on there because his name sells. He's listed as the third designer on the BGG page, and in some interviews at GenCon, he didn't even mention Trudvang, and instead talked about Ankh and Cyberpunk. Not even a token "My latest game, Trudvang Chronicles, is on KS right now." So I personally believe he had little to nothing to do with it.
From the interview I saw he mentioned he's like head of development or something at CMON so he touches everything - but usually just to clean up if it's someone else's design.

Speaking of, I've not played any of his Blood Rage games since I'm still pretty new to the hobby, should I pick up BR or Rising Sun? I have a major interest in Ankh for theme and the time to play, should I just wait for that?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
From the interview I saw he mentioned he's like head of development or something at CMON so he touches everything - but usually just to clean up if it's someone else's design.
Yeah, I believe that's what he said in one of the videos I watched as well. To me, CMON branding almost every internal design as "A Game by Eric Lang" is a little disingenuous. It discredits the other designers who are doing most of the actual work. It's like when a movie puts the biggest star on the front of the box or promotes with them, even if it's a lower-budget title and they just got them for a small role, or even cameo.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Just wanna defend Trudvang as a fan of it that it is very unique in it's flavour compared to many other fantasy worlds. It hits home a lot closer for us Scandinavians since it focuses a lot more on the mystery of the forest rather than dungeon delving or ruin explorations, many adventures are set in woods and one of the best in particular, VIldhjarta, was set in an endless forest that the players would explore. It does feature what many would call "cliches", but for example trolls are just not ordinary trolls but can be actually clever, intelligent and cunning beings in many cases that you can write entire campaigns around them,. Even then the rulebooks about trolls, goblins (vättar) and giants (jättar/jotuns) (bastjurs being the term for them all) would encourage people to write them as varied as possible since you could never be sure what kind of troll you'd meet and always wanna surprise the players with them. The twist lies in how these creatures and fantasy concepts are handled as compared to other fantasy worlds.

I don't know if much if this is still retained in the English edition of it, but in the Swedish Drakar och Demoner it is what set it so extremely apart from for example Dungeons & Dragons for us. :P

Sadly though I don't think a board game can really get any of all this across anyway. This is a lot more how the world as a whole is written rather than just visually portrayed.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Keasar That may be all true and that's what I mean with "twist". But that's in the game's stories' text if present at all. Visually, the twist only manifests in the dragon's bent teeth, the gobli... err, forest troll's overly large noses and the heroes looking a bit more nordic/celtic, than your standard D&D bunch.

In short: at a superficial glance, the game looks like your standard high fantasy trope with a slight visual twist. But that twist is by no means significant enough to let the game stand out from the crowd immediately. Not when there's the Etherfields campaign running at the same time.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Keasar That may be all true and that's what I mean with "twist". But that's in the game's stories' text if present at all. Visually, the twist only manifests in the dragon's bent teeth, the gobli... err, forest troll's overly large noses and the heroes looking a bit more nordic/celtic, than your standard D&D bunch.

In short: at a superficial glance, the game looks like your standard high fantasy trope with a slight visual twist. But that twist is by no means significant enough to let the game stand out from the crowd immediately.
True, hence that last sentence of my post. :P
I don't think the board game will really convey the true beauty of Trudvang as the RPG does, nice figures though.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got to play Quantum and it is definitely as fun as I was led to believe it would be. There is a lot of strategy and planning, and the command cards offer a lot of different ways to play the game and place your Quantum cubes to win. We played two 3P games and I had a blast.

I played a quick race of Flamme Rouge after that and enjoyed it as well. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to balance your high value cards with the exhaustion cards you earn from being leader of a pack. My Roller spent the first half of the race just slipstreaming and staying in a good spot behind the leader and then I made my move and jumped ahead. I got close to the end and wound up having hands of exhaustion cards after that from being in the lead for a few turns and the person who started off in the lead overtook me and won. My Sprinter was in the back of the pack for most of the race and somehow barely had any cards too. It's definitely going to take a bit to figure out the best strategies and knowing when to push hard and when to let up.

I think I'm finally going to try to learn both Brass: Birmingham and Lancashire too, which I've owned since the Kickstarter. I've got acrylic overlays showing up in the next few days for the markets (along with a Santorini acrylic overlay to keep the base floors from moving around). I'm gonna pick up some sleeves when I go into the city this weekend for a big Gamer Garage Sale at the big FLGS there and then I'll hopefully be ready to play the Brass games soon, now that it looks like maybe I'll have some regular people to play with every week again.

I think I'm going to stop by a Target this weekend as well and buy Horrified. I really want to wait for a sale or for Targets to start clearancing it out, but it seems like one I'll like a lot, so I shouldn't be balking too hard at paying full price.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, fuck it, I put an extra 60 into trudvang to get the westmarch expansion and the plastic tokens

After this and Bloodborne, I'm only going to back Ankh and that is it

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to stop by a Target this weekend as well and buy Horrified. I really want to wait for a sale or for Targets to start clearancing it out, but it seems like one I'll like a lot, so I shouldn't be balking too hard at paying full price.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but I know with my luck I'll buy it and the next week they'll have a B2G1 Free sale and I'll be mad I didn't get Jaws and Pandemic Rapid Response along with it for the discount

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but I know with my luck I'll buy it and the next week they'll have a B2G1 Free sale and I'll be mad I didn't get Jaws and Pandemic Rapid Response along with it for the discount

You have 90 days to return at Target.
If a sale or buy2 promo happens just go rebuy it and return the sealed one with the old receipt and get a full refund

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Speaking of, I've not played any of his Blood Rage games since I'm still pretty new to the hobby, should I pick up BR or Rising Sun? I have a major interest in Ankh for theme and the time to play, should I just wait for that?

I've only played (and own) Blood Rage and it's one of the best games in my collection. Works great at all player counts, has great replayability and several different strategies for victory, and you feel reward for every action you make. It is a game I HIGHLY recommend if you're remotely interested in an Amerithrash game.

I can't comment on a game I've not played (Rising Sun) but I've seen people pretty split on which game they think is better. Won't comment on Ankh since so little is known about it, and the last "third game in the series" I can think of was Forbidden Sky which is apparently pretty bad.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
For anyone waiting for Warehouse 13 there's good news, everything is on track!
Just a brief update on fulfilment...

Our Asian and Australian fulfilment centers have their games and are preparing to begin the fulfilment process.

European games are still on schedule to be in port on August 20th.

Canadian games arrived in port today.

US games arrived in port already and are on route to the fulfilment center.

Thus far, all of the shipping estimates we were given have been accurate, though it seems as if some of those were to port (like Australia) and some were to the fulfilment center (like US).

We're in the home stretch Agents! Thank you all for your patience and support.

The end is almost here!

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played (and own) Blood Rage and it's one of the best games in my collection. Works great at all player counts, has great replayability and several different strategies for victory, and you feel reward for every action you make. It is a game I HIGHLY recommend if you're remotely interested in an Amerithrash game.

I can't comment on a game I've not played (Rising Sun) but I've seen people pretty split on which game they think is better. Won't comment on Ankh since so little is known about it, and the last "third game in the series" I can think of was Forbidden Sky which is apparently pretty bad.
Trash, man, get it right :) It's a badge of honour, not an insult.

Rising Sun fell flat in my group, even though it should have worked well. Blood Rage stuck around.
Cool, I'll check out Blood Rage one of these days. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein was due last week or this week and still nothing. I was going to play on Saturday for game night but looks like odds are low

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So in my continued efforts to catch up on things I've missed the last couple years I discovered Chip Theory Games and ... man I'm really regretting not having been around for Kickstarters.

Thanks for those who recommended Azul, it's gone over like gangbusters in my house.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017

I can give the opposite side of the other comment; I've played Rising Sun but not Blood Rage. Quick note: I played a copy of with my brother who had a lot of extras, and they definitely helped make the game deeper, particularly with extra god abilities and new monsters.

Quick review: Dudes on a map board control game. It's not point salad as the winner may finish with >= 40 points. There's a lot of combat which is done with a lot of math, and even more math added with the expansions, but this makes the pay-off really rewarding if you can strategize quickly and anticipate what your opponents will do. Factions are mostly symmetrical with one basic ability that differentiates them. You'll be fighting to take over different chunks of the board for VP as well as obtaining cards that will give you alternate VP methods, which can really add up. On top of your basic dudes, worshipper dudes can be committed to a god to unlock their ability. (with the expansion, you can also gain the god as a new dude for the map with its own power). Monsters can be purchased to further contribute to your army. These non-basic dudes come in the form of some really impressive, over-sized miniatures.

Some mechanics included:
Allies - You select allies at the start of the game. Odd man doesn't get an ally but is more likely to start problems with others
Action selection - On your turn, choose an action; you and your ally will get an additional bonus
Combat - as mentioned, quick addition of power minus nullifying abilities, but complicated with enchantments and allies. Also includes a betting mechanic that allows you to bet on losing to still obtain VP
Market - purchase upgrades to your army in the form of cards: monsters, enchantments, defenses