• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Any fans of the deckbuilder Valley of the Kings? The new premium edition adds asymmetrical/unique character powers (think Voyages of Marco Polo), which sounds awesome. You can see the 10 character powers at the 3m15s mark of this overview video:

Valley of the Kings is pretty awesome and the premium set looks really good. I can't wait for it to come out. Until then, I've been playing quite a bit of Afterlife.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Played Wingspan tonight. Still really love that game . So damn pretty
1-BCA13-C8-CE6-B-4115-9527-753-AEF71-C8-A9.jpg
What on earth is happening with your round bonuses?
Wingspan is super fun. There's always something to think about, and the way bonus round scoring works makes you work towards different strategies each game.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else looking at Merchants Cove? I'm really tempted but am worried that the lack of commonality will hurt player interaction.

I very much agree. I decided to pass on it. I love the idea of it but that, coupled with the teaching of all those games to my friends, has killed it.

Fans of Fury of Dracula should check out Jaws. It has the deduction aspect and some great theme too and it plays in about an hour.

We played Edge of Darkness for the first time last night (the expansion KS is later this month). It's a very interesting game but it has some serious set-up issues and a bit of fiddliness. The art is gorgeous and I really enjoyed it once we got going.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Tapestry will be available to pre-order for $79.00 in an hour or so. That's much less than I had expected!

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on spirit island? Really thinking of picking it up as we have a decent coop group.
It is amazing, my favorite coop game.

Be warned, though, it is on the heavier side of medium (or some would just say heavy). The rules are not too dense, but the decision-making can be overwhelming for some.

I play it 2p with my SO fine, but when I've tried introducing it to other friends 4p, it didn't go nearly as well. Might have been too heavy for them. Really depends what games/weight your group is used to.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any fans of the deckbuilder Valley of the Kings? The new premium edition adds asymmetrical/unique character powers (think Voyages of Marco Polo), which sounds awesome. You can see the 10 character powers at the 3m15s mark of this overview video:

I like Valley of the Kings, but its killer feature for me is portability.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I have never pre-ordered a board game. I have pre-ordered Tapestry. I hope this is as good as it looks, everybody! Gotta say, though, I really dislike that shipping isn't free in the US for an 80 dollar order.

Oct 26, 2017
Any thoughts on spirit island? Really thinking of picking it up as we have a decent coop group.
An amazing game. Because it's cooperative you can also bring it out for solo play and it is fantastic as a solo game. There's so much in the base game that after about 15 plays I have still yet to play with certain spirit combos, the different adversaries or scenarios. One of the best values on the market. There's also an expansion out that adds a bunch of stuff, and there is one coming next year that adds lots of stuff, But the base game should be more than enough for now.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
An amazing game. Because it's cooperative you can also bring it out for solo play and it is fantastic as a solo game. There's so much in the base game that after about 15 plays I have still yet to play with certain spirit combos, the different adversaries or scenarios. One of the best values on the market. There's also an expansion out that adds a bunch of stuff, and there is one coming next year that adds lots of stuff, But the base game should be more than enough for now.

Thanks you made up my mind between this or tapestry. Spirit island is way more thematically interesting and has a much better chance of getting to the table.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks you made up my mind between this or tapestry. Spirit island is way more thematically interesting and has a much better chance of getting to the table.

Nice. I really hope you like it! The theme is wonderful and if you allow yourself to immerse in it then it create lots of fun thematic scenarios. For instance one spirit drives invaders mad and causes them to flee a land, but when combined with the spirit Ocean's Hungry Grasp you can drive them literally into the ocean causing them to drown. And there's loads of that in the game.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Getting ready for my brother spending a week at my place in a couple weeks, I've sleeved Nemesis cards ( which then become hard to fit in the box :/ ) and started painting the game miniatures ( partially following Nerd Paints youtube video for the intruder ) :
1567618169-nemesis.png

Rules don't seems too complicated, but it still feel like it will take quite some time to get used to it. Will try to watch a couple let's/how to play before he get there... teaching a new game when you never played it yourself always kind of feel bad. >.<

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw on reddit some updates for various FFG games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/czg9zu/ffg_head_of_studio_live_stream_notes/

A summary of stuff I saw looking through it:

LotR LCG in it's current form to end mid 2020; new kind of content to follow after some period of a break, no "2.0" kind of release as it feels unnecessary

aGoT LCG will finish current cycle, Targaryen faction box and some kind of special release to be announced soon which will mark end of cycles. Content will continue in some new kind of format with much slower release. Feel like they can't do much more with the game, mostly because no new books

Arkham Horror LCG doing extremely well, no plans to change anything

No plans for new Netrunner LCG

Journeys in Middle Earth has a planned finite amount of planned content; will deviate from Mansions of Madness release style with only doing figure packs and big box expansions, no small box ones.

Eldritch Horror is a completed game (no new content will be released)

Elder Sign is a completed game (no new content will be released)

Descent is a completed game (no new physical content will be released). Hinted at something coming up, possibly a 3rd edition

Imperial Assault is a completed game (no new physical content will be released); "business reasons" is answer for why no new content (reading between the lines = cannibalizes Legion sales); more digital content to continue

Runewars will not be getting a new version or re-release

New Tannhauser content: often discussed but cannot provide any info

Runebound is also a completed game.

Heroes of Terrinoth's future support is unclear.

Fallout getting a new expansion.
It feels like they're really rethinking how they want to handle the LCGs. And I'm surprised they're done with IA expansions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/czg9zu/ffg_head_of_studio_live_stream_notes/

It feels like they're really rethinking how they want to handle the LCGs. And I'm surprised they're done with IA expansions.

• Eldritch Horror is a completed game (no new content will be released)

I'm so happy to have a complete copy of Eldritch Horror with all expansions before some parts inevitably become out of print for good.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I assume Mansions of Madness is not a completed game then and is doing well.

Also, I should get on picking up the remaining Eldritch Horror expansions.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I assume Mansions of Madness is not a completed game then and is doing well.

Also, I should get on picking up the remaining Eldritch Horror expansions.

Apparently the only thing mentioned about MoM is that the minis are being remade as the old molds are worn out. But they're not going to sell the new versions individually, they'll be included in boxes that indicate they are included. I don't use the minis anyway so no biggie to me but it's shitty you'll need to re-buy things to get the improved versions.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone that has played it knows that Cloudspire is the best game of 20129 duh

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
What do the dice do in Tapestry? I actually hate lots of games where my outcome depends on rolling well. Looks like resources? That'd probably be fine.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first big box expansion for Journeys in Middle-Earth will also be announced/revealed in early 2020. M

Which leads me to think we're looking at two big boxes a year with the occasional figure pack. Maybe once every three months or so. I don't remember exactly how long it was between the base game and the first pack but I think it was roughly that long.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Which leads me to think we're looking at two big boxes a year with the occasional figure pack. Maybe once every three months or so. I don't remember exactly how long it was between the base game and the first pack but I think it was roughly that long.
I think you're right that it was about three months between the release of the core game and the Villains of Eriador Figure Pack.

I'm anticipating a release of the first big box expansion in March, around the same time the core game was first released. Then a figure pack every three months following until the next big box expansion. I'd love to see two big boxes a year, but with between 10-20 hours of content, I think it's unlikely. I'd wager instead that we'll see a second campaign released digitally not unlike what released alongside the Villains of Eriador.

March - Big Box Exp
July - Figure Pack
September - Additional "Digital" Campaign
November - Figure Pack

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know ANYONE selling extra quacks GeekBits? It's been our go to family game for 3 weeks and I've had to glue some cardboard chits already... Would love to get those GeekBits. I know they are restocking next month but we play so often I'd love to get some sooner

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The Tapestry reviews are out of control!

It makes me very tempted to preorder the game... that's a sizeable discount... even thought the game uses an Automa system for solo play, which I'm not usually a big fan of. But the game still seems very fun according to the reviews...

What should I do? Arg!

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all ordering Tapestry, meanwhile I just backed Burgle Bros 2.

In all seriousness I really want to play Tapestry but the people I met at a local game store are all getting Tapestry so I shouldn't have any problems finding a chance to play it. Whereas no one really knows about Burgle Bros 2 and according to the creator it will have a limited retail presence.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That marvel champions insert looks built to last which is nice. Also the Green Goblin enemy pack looks like a blast too. Definitely on my to consider list when I have a budget again

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're right that it was about three months between the release of the core game and the Villains of Eriador Figure Pack.

I'm anticipating a release of the first big box expansion in March, around the same time the core game was first released. Then a figure pack every three months following until the next big box expansion. I'd love to see two big boxes a year, but with between 10-20 hours of content, I think it's unlikely. I'd wager instead that we'll see a second campaign released digitally not unlike what released alongside the Villains of Eriador.

March - Big Box Exp
July - Figure Pack
September - Additional "Digital" Campaign
November - Figure Pack

That's a good point, I didn't think about digital content to fill windows between physical releases.

That marvel champions insert looks built to last which is nice. Also the Green Goblin enemy pack looks like a blast too. Definitely on my to consider list when I have a budget again

Where did you see the insert?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, wow, that does look great.

I never thought I'd see the day FFG produced an actual useful insert. Kudos to them, I hope they keep it up.
It's also the first time they've done a LCG that doesn't require multiple cores and they raised the price, you'd hope they'd do a proper insert. Also the green goblin article shows it looks pretty cool, you get to fight both sides, Norman and Goblin
mc02en_box.png