• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Tapestry has sold a crazy amount today. There are only 940 copies left for pre-order, give or take.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, wonder where they started at? This doesn't even include what they are selling to stores either probably.

I think he said the initial print run is 25,000.

Good for him and it is good to see that something is flourishing outside of kickstarter.

I didn't preorder because I don't think there is enough interaction and that the game will really scratch the civilization itch I am looking for but I am happy for Jamey and it is good for the industry.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
It's no surprise that Tapestry is doing so well on preorders. Stonemaier probably does some of the best marketing in board games and they consistently have some of the best components for the asking price. Scythe and Wingspan were huge sellers so it makes a lot of sense that Tapestry would be as well.

However, I personally find it an easy pass. I'm not a follower of the cult of the new and while I don't think that any of the Stonemaier games are bad, I don't think that any of them are particularly interesting either. Tapestry is no exception - it purports to be a civilization building game but it doesn't really feel like one, and mechanically it seems a bit bland. The aforementioned Spirit Island is a good contrast to this. That game has a great (and unique) theme which is expressed excellently through its mechanics. The moment to moment gameplay feels fantastic and it has a ton of exciting things going on. Tapestry has good components though, so congrats on Stonemaier for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I think he said the initial print run is 25,000.

Good for him and it is good to see that something is flourishing outside of kickstarter.

I didn't preorder because I don't think there is enough interaction and that the game will really scratch the civilization itch I am looking for but I am happy for Jamey and it is good for the industry.

I wonder how many of the 25k is for their site only. Half? Less?

Some are shipping already . I ordered 9:15 am and am order 95 so hopefully mine ships soon too. I did order extra dice though I hope that doesn't slow it down

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The amount of trolling in the rating comments on the BGG page for Tapestry is quite impressive. A lot of people mad about other people liking what they don't.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of trolling in the rating comments on the BGG page for Tapestry is quite impressive. A lot of people mad about other people liking what they don't.
Shrug, it balances out the 10 ratings. In any case, BGG ranking is a popularity contest. There was a lot of review bombing of Pandemic Legacy back when Gloomhaven was about to dethrone it as #1

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Shrug, it balances out the 10 ratings. In any case, BGG ranking is a popularity contest. There was a lot of review bombing of Pandemic Legacy back when Gloomhaven was about to dethrone it as #1

Yeah, it's definitely a popularity contest. The more I look at the way ratings work on BGG, the less I like them. Especially since BGG is so popular that these ratings are often considered as "the truth", or at least very important. Even for game publishers and designers.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of ratings aren't a popularity contest? It's not like there is some objective way to rate games. The games that sell more or appeal to the kind of people who bother to rate games will always do better.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Systems where just anyone can rate something are sort of useless to begin with. For the most part, people aren't very critical so it's just a matter of "did I like thing?" so it's not going to inform anyone whose tastes don't align perfectly. BGG seems to be a bit better at this than many other ratings systems, but it's still largely a site for boardgame collectors so it's going to have a lot of inflation.

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I just checked Stonemaier's website on a whim yesterday and decided to pre-order Tapestry without knowing the actual tiny window I hit as far as pre-orders go.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis should be shipping out soon. I got a copy through an eBay reseller (was not into following Kickstarter at the time). Played a few times on TTS. Really looking forward to it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OK, here is what is apparently happening.

The way their store works, when you order, it checks the total number you are ordering against the total number available. If you put in, say, 5000, then it will decrease that number to the total inventory available. It temporarily holds that number based on that cart, no matter if it is over the number you are actually limited to.

People have been using this method to see how many copies are left in stock (currently around 300) and sometimes you can catch the site when it thinks all of them are being held.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I have serious question: I'm back from the Tapestry section of BGG, and it's war in there! Why does Stonemaier Games seem to have such a bad reputation? I completely understand that their games aren't for everybody, which is perfectly normal, but why all the vitriol? Especially since Jamey Stegmaier seems such a wholesome guy. He goes towards his customers, has good communication, explains clearly nearly all his business decisions... He's not perfect, of course, but I hardly understand all the hate...

Oct 25, 2017
OK, here is what is apparently happening.

The way their store works, when you order, it checks the total number you are ordering against the total number available. If you put in, say, 5000, then it will decrease that number to the total inventory available. It temporarily holds that number based on that cart, no matter if it is over the number you are actually limited to.

People have been using this method to see how many copies are left in stock (currently around 300) and sometimes you can catch the site when it thinks all of them are being held.

Ah good to know. Glad it's still avail for people then

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The friend in our group with Scythe has painted everything and even added terrain to the bases, so I think there's no desire for metal mechs. He also has every expansion, the realistic resources, and metal coins. It's a wonderful setup.

It indeed seems like a wonderful setup!

Although they do look awesome and it is nice that they exist, to be honest I'm not exactly sure who the metal mechs are for. Especially since a single $50 pack only gets you a single mech for each faction. So if you want a complete set, you're looking at $200.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I have serious question: I'm back from the Tapestry section of BGG, and it's war in there! Why does Stonemaier Games seem to have such a bad reputation? I completely understand that their games aren't for everybody, which is perfectly normal, but why all the vitriol? Especially since Jamey Stegmaier seems such a wholesome guy. He goes towards his customers, has good communication, explains clearly nearly all his business decisions... He's not perfect, of course, but I hardly understand all the hate...

Stonemaier has some pretty hardcore fans. You all know the type - the ones that worship whatever Jamey says. And it's anti fans feel like they also have to react in a similar but negative way as a reactionary response. Hence the 1s and 10s Tapestry has been rated.

Honestly the negative fans are kind of dumb, all this does is to work stir up more fandom and more responses in threads. Stonemaier is probably loving all the attention.

One thing though, with any company when they jack up the price of their product, it creates what I believe is an aura of bitterness and resentment and I think we are seeing some of it here. $79 is on the high side, but MSRP of $99 is rather high and many people would probably want to try it out first before buying, hence they're probably getting left out of the preorder and might have to pay even more later.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's also the first time they've done a LCG that doesn't require multiple cores and they raised the price, you'd hope they'd do a proper insert. Also the green goblin article shows it looks pretty cool, you get to fight both sides, Norman and Goblin
mc02en_box.png

Has there been any word about campaigns of packs, this in itself looks somewhat standalone.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Has there been any word about campaigns of packs, this in itself looks somewhat standalone.
There are 3 types of expansions coming, here's the breakdown from the official page
  • Hero Packs – Each Hero Packs of a cycle will introduce a brand-new hero to play from the Marvel Universe. Each 60 card Hero Pack features a playable hero with a new identity card and a 40 card deck that can be played right out of the pack. Some of the cards in this Hero Pack are specific to the new hero, whereas others can be mixed and matched with the rest of the card pool. As with the heroes in the Core Set, this pack also contains a side quest and rival villain for the featured hero.
  • Standalone Scenarios – Standalone Scenario Packs introduce a new scenario, with a new villain and their scheme, to your games of Marvel Champions, complete with its own encounter deck! These scenarios are perfect to purchase when you're looking to take on a new challenge, and discover a different way to play Marvel Champions: The Card Game.
  • Story Boxes – The larger Story Boxes introduce a series of three to five linked scenarios that let you live out your favorite comic book stories! These boxes contain both new heroes and villains to expand your game of Marvel Champions!
Green Goblin is the second type, and I believe Captain America(who's being shown off next week) and Ms Marvel have been confirmed as the first two of the first type.
I imagine Story Boxes will tend to be teams.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There are 3 types of expansions coming, here's the breakdown from the official page

Green Goblin is the second type, and I believe Captain America(who's being shown off next week) and Ms Marvel have been confirmed as the first two of the first type.
I imagine Story Boxes will tend to be teams.

It sounds like story boxes fit the model of a Deluxe Expansion from AH or LOTR, then, but containing the entire campaign in that one pack?

I really can't figure out if I'll take to this or not! I guess it's a case of "Buy the Core and we'll see where we stand from there".

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
"label created" is a LIE! I'm still waiting on Aeon's End: New Dawn. Got my label created August 9th. Have since contacted the fulfillment center with no response, regular indieboardsandcards customer support which emailed the fulfillment center, and still haven't gotten any updates.

I do love that the game is just called "Hats." What kind of game is it? Set collection?

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here played underwater cities? Got it recently after playing a session at out gaming group. 2 more plays after and I'm liking it alot. Even if your draw can screw you with same colors. I like how tight the game is.

Oct 25, 2017
"label created" is a LIE! I'm still waiting on Aeon's End: New Dawn. Got my label created August 9th. Have since contacted the fulfillment center with no response, regular indieboardsandcards customer support which emailed the fulfillment center, and still haven't gotten any updates.

I do love that the game is just called "Hats." What kind of game is it? Set collection?

Ooog a month??!? I hope they didn't just drop the box somewhere

Hats is a set collection/trick taking game

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here played underwater cities? Got it recently after playing a session at out gaming group. 2 more plays after and I'm liking it alot. Even if your draw can screw you with same colors. I like how tight the game is.

That's the next game on my list! Hoping to grab one in a week or so.
Did you get the new reprint? How long is an average game?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a how to play video recommendation for Spirit Island? Gonna play tomorrow and I'm incredibly sick so would like to watch a video to help my brain process it

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Anyone have a how to play video recommendation for Spirit Island? Gonna play tomorrow and I'm incredibly sick so would like to watch a video to help my brain process it

It's a very long video if you want to watch the whole thing, but what helped me a lot was this GameNight video. They explain the rules at the beginning, and then play a full game. Having the rulebook nearby while watching this could be efficient if there are parts where you have questions during the video.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It's also the first time they've done a LCG that doesn't require multiple cores and they raised the price, you'd hope they'd do a proper insert.
I really hope this becomes a standard for FFG soon. I have recently bought an extra core set for Arkham Horror The Card Game, and I bought three for Netrunner as it went out to make sure I got all cards and complete the collection. The boxes they deliver their LCG games have been a long time very annoyingly designed not to store a collectible card game in which feels like such an obvious given. If they went back and started doing new core sets for their LCGs like FIve Rings and Arkham complete with proper inserts and also full sets of cards, I'd be really glad and even get a set of Five Rings to try out.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a very long video if you want to watch the whole thing, but what helped me a lot was this GameNight video. They explain the rules at the beginning, and then play a full game. Having the rulebook nearby while watching this could be efficient if there are parts where you have questions during the video.

As an added tip play with one of the 4 spirits they are playing with for your first game because every spirit has their own special rules so much of that video may not pertain to certain spirits and other spirits have increased complexity.

Some easy to miss things is don't forget about your spirit's innate power, in both playing the requirements to trigger it and just remembering to use it, collecting energy on growth phase, and moving fear tokens when earned.

Edit: another good walkthrough

Oct 25, 2017

As an added tip play with one of the 4 spirits they are playing with for your first game because every spirit has their own special rules so much of that video may not pertain to certain spirits and other spirits have increased complexity.

Some easy to miss things is don't forget about your spirit's innate power, in both playing the requirements to trigger it and just remembering to use it, collecting energy on growth phase, and moving fear tokens when earned.

Edit: another good walkthrough

Thanks! I'll check these out!

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't too long and I found it helpful.

Also, I don't recommend the fear-generating spirit as one of the 4 starters, it'd a tad less clear what you can do with it compared to the others