• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Another KS came in. Great package.
QWasPzr.jpg

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
Anyone play through Detective: A Modern Crime Game? I've heard mostly good things about it, and I'm thinking about it getting it for once my group is done with Chronicles of Crime.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I played Ravensbergers Jaws today. What a delightful experience. It seems insanely balanced with some dramatic swings too. I was the shark, and I lost a few rounds before I would have won.

Oct 25, 2017
Got zero gaming done this weekend, we're all sick. Boo. But I did watch all those spirit island videos while in bed so at least I'm prepped ha

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Played Bargain Quest twice back to back two players last night. We enjoyed it but I could definitely see where the game would benefit from at least one more probably best at 4 to really get the most out of the drafting part of the game. With just us, there are only two heros to go for and it really muted the which one do you want to attract with your display item decision part of the game. Generally we were able to effectively make the draft a wash and we never had a moment where we strongly wanted to get one over the other.
We did use the black market expansion and what it adds I'd almost say is essential cause the items we pulled from its deck easily gave us the most interesting decisions on what to keep or pass.
My friend seemed a bit disappointed that the adventurers don't accrue more money than they do as the game moves on. Actually if they survive the monster encounter they typically are close to what they started with or less. It didn't seem like we were selling an abundance of items either, about 1 or 2 each per round. I think my biggest haul was selling 3 items for 35 gold. He was expecting bigger money plays I think.
I lost the first game 12 to 9 and won the next 13 to 9.
In conclusion, we had fun and look forward to trying again as there's always something new to see as there a bunch of heros, monsters, and items. I think more players would absolutely be even better and if played at 2p I would recommend the advanced variant where you put out 4 heroes instead of 2 and draft 6 cards instead of 4. That's what I'll do next time for a 2 player game for sure.

Also, played three matches of Dice Throne. Registered my 25th play and it is absolutely one of my favorites. Have a good time every time even when I literally can't roll to save my life haha.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Played Gizmos, Quacks and Time Stories (the Egyptian one) yesterday. Gizmos and Quacks were a lot of fun as usual. Time Stories was another disappointment for me. (I also missed one detail on a character card which made it impossible to win)

Played Bargain Quest twice back to back two players last night. We enjoyed it but I could definitely see where the game would benefit from at least one more probably best at 4 to really get the most out of the drafting part of the game.
Yeah, it's a lot more interesting with more players, though I haven't tried the advanced 2 player rules yet. Still, it's a fun little game and it looks good too.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So my wife and I are going to be playing the Arkham Horror LCG for the first time tonight (core Set)! I am really excited to give it a try as I've heard a lot of good things.

Oct 26, 2017
From what I read advanced 2 player variant is essential for Bargain Quest. I own it but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Did play a couple more games of Apotheca solo. Great game, especially for the $8 I paid at Half Price Books. Acts like a big sliding puzzle when playing solo.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I've played a bunch of Bargain Quest two player & you really need to do the advanced mode. 4 adventurers is much more interesting.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My Vast: Mysterious Manor showed up this morning. I don't even think I received tracking for it, so it was a nice surprise.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Horrified and a Kickstarter Monster Slaughter on the way in order to gear up for a thematic October!

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
How is MS? It looks awesome and is reasonably priced on Amazon.
I bought a copy at DTC and have gotten it to the table 3-4 times. I love it. It's a really thematic dice chucker with some good player interaction. It's essentially a betting game with betrayal aspects. Players start by betting on the order in which the kids are going to be killed off, and select their favorite meal. Then you spend the game hunting the rooms for the kids, picking up gear as you search the decks. When another player finds a victim, if it's "not their time to die" you would get with the non attacking players, choose a single card as a group from everyone's hand to equip the victim with and that gives the victim some defense against the attack. It's a lot of fun and reminds me of the "fuck each other over" aspect of Munchkin but with a good hard limit of a single card.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Court of the Dead and Awkward Guests should both ship this week, and my FLGS will have my copies of Cartographers and The King's Dilemma. Whew.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Played a riveting 5 player game of Food Chain Magnate this weekend, and am reminded of what a dearth of similar options we have had the past year or so for board gaming. About all that's recently grabbed my attention is Root and Pax Pamir 2e. Have we exited the golden age of board gaming, and if so, when did that happen?

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Played a riveting 5 player game of Food Chain Magnate this weekend, and am reminded of what a dearth of similar options we have had the past year or so for board gaming. About all that's recently grabbed my attention is Root and Pax Pamir 2e. Have we exited the golden age of board gaming, and if so, when did that happen?
I mean, if you're basing your view of a Golden Age entirely on games like Food Chain Magnate, you have a pretty narrow view to begin with. The Golden Age of board gaming refers to the multitudes of games that come out in vastly different styles that are all financially viable. Food Chain Magnate seems too niche to have done especially well financially speaking which means there aren't going to be a lot of other developers jumping on that bandwagon. I would imagine Root has sold at least double what FCM has.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I mean, if you're basing your view of a Golden Age entirely on games like Food Chain Magnate, you have a pretty narrow view to begin with. The Golden Age of board gaming refers to the multitudes of games that come out in vastly different styles that are all financially viable. Food Chain Magnate seems too niche to have done especially well financially speaking which means there aren't going to be a lot of other developers jumping on that bandwagon. I would imagine Root has sold at least double what FCM has.

My point was not about niche games or sales figures. I was referring to the types of games. Late 00's, early to mid 2010's had a glut of mid-heavy weight economic and euro style board games that I haven't seen in the last year or two. The trend dominating the landscape seems to trend towards mini and legacy style games.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
My point was not about niche games or sales figures. I was referring to the types of games. Late 00's, early to mid 2010's had a glut of mid-heavy weight economic and euro style board games that I haven't seen in the last year or two. The trend dominating the landscape seems to trend towards mini and legacy style games.

Point being - The "golden age of board gaming" doesn't apply to any specific genre - it applies to "board game". Just because no great boardgame in the very niche type of game you're interested has been released lately isn't reflective of any kind of "golden age" trend.

E.g. if the releases moved from "mid-heavy economic euros" to "mini-based games" and now boardgames are selling twice as much, you could argue that we have just ENTERED a golden age - even though one type of boardgame got less releases.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play through Detective: A Modern Crime Game? I've heard mostly good things about it, and I'm thinking about it getting it for once my group is done with Chronicles of Crime.
I've played the first 2 or 3 cases on my friends copy... we didn't like it and it's been shelved.
We enjoyed Chronicles of Crime and Consulting detective (though the latter has mostly been shelved after 8 cases or so because the printing errors were annoying us too much)

Detective for better or worse really did feel like you were going through and having to input your data in order to run it through a system to get information. Despite the app integration though it was just super tedious and really long. (doesn't help that the app is a website and you have to type in everything instead of an actual app and having the ability to scan stuff)

If you want a game that feels like you are legitimately doing all the busy work on a case it's likely a fine game, but for us it felt like a chore/work instead of interesting like Chronicles of Crime and Consulting detective.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Aeon Trespass: Odyssey launched today. I'm interested, but I'm not well versed on "Into the Unknown" and their reliability with regards to fulfilling Kickstarter projects. Thoughts?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Got my copy of Warehouse 13 in! Will take pictures when I break it out in a day or two... still need sleeves though... and someone to play it with

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
It was published 15 years ago, but these last couple weeks I've discovered Memoir'44, and I love it. The mix between "light wargame" and regular tabletop game is fantastic, especially being such a quick game to play. The possibility of combine extra copies to create 3v3 scenarios also adds another dimension to the game, especially if you get a fourth player on each side to act as a Commander-in-chief.

This Saturday we played the 4v4 version of Omaha beach, a couple rounds switching sides, and it was a blast. I'm really looking forward more of these, next will probably be a version of Market Garden.

0xwxh08.png

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Aeon Trespass: Odyssey launched today. I'm interested, but I'm not well versed on "Into the Unknown" and their reliability with regards to fulfilling Kickstarter projects. Thoughts?

I backed and feel pretty good about it. They also have given reasonable delivery time frames. On some of the other forums I lurk in, the users who backed their previous projects stated that they haven't had any issues.

Between this and Oathsworn, I'm going to be stacked to the gills with story games. The one I'm torn on, is the Isofarian Guard. I like the fact that it's made just for two players, so my wife and I could have a blast with it. I'm just not convinced of bag building. I backed out of Trudvang because the bag building in that didn't impress me.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone out there pick up Wizkids Hako Onna?

I'm ready to buy the game, all but for the fact that in all the preview videos and the one review video I've seen, the tiles with the eyeball on them have some color variation that would seem to ruin the experience. (I've noticed two hues, one slightly more yellow/green than the other).

Really interested but I can't buy it if this problem exists. I'd just like to know if it's a fluke or if all copies are like this, and if they are, would wizkids be able to send replacements? (doubftul?) I've even thought, maybe I could buy the japanese version for properly printed tiles, and the US version for the rest of the materials.

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing if it's an issue that plagues all games, or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me and I'm mistaken. Also, would like to hearing impressions on the game if anyone has been playing it. I know it's probably not a popular one, or even a great game, but I love horror, so....

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Tada
8aN1fnP.jpg

PraRAS3.jpg

It looks great, I just need to the people to play it with and it'll be at least a month till my sister and brother in law come to town again and they are my current hope.
I also need to order 200(there are about 187 mini cards) mini card sleeves and a good number of regular sized ones too.
Sigh I need a gaming group again

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I got a pretty big haul today: Res Arcana, 51st State, Valley of the Kings Deluxe, Gugong, and Century: A New World. Valley of the Kings may have the hugest box in the world, but it's also the greatest thing ever: not only did they realize that it might be a good idea to make their insert big enough to fit sleeved cards, but they included a ton of sleeves since who's going to have a ton of tarot-sized sleeves kicking around? This game just oozes class.

These games still get made. There are titles like Teotihuacan, Gugong, Import/Export, and Black Angel all from the last couple of years. It's just that these fly a bit under the radar in general and in this thread in particular because people seem to be more hyped by mini-heavy Kickstarter games and Stonemaier titles. That doesn't mean that other kinds of games don't exist (and are great). Personally I like the mid-heavy Euro game as well, and I'm looking forward to the John Company and Hansa Teutonica reprints.

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
I've played the first 2 or 3 cases on my friends copy... we didn't like it and it's been shelved.
We enjoyed Chronicles of Crime and Consulting detective (though the latter has mostly been shelved after 8 cases or so because the printing errors were annoying us too much)

Detective for better or worse really did feel like you were going through and having to input your data in order to run it through a system to get information. Despite the app integration though it was just super tedious and really long. (doesn't help that the app is a website and you have to type in everything instead of an actual app and having the ability to scan stuff)

If you want a game that feels like you are legitimately doing all the busy work on a case it's likely a fine game, but for us it felt like a chore/work instead of interesting like Chronicles of Crime and Consulting detective.
Thanks for your impressions. I think I will still give it a shot since I found a good local deal. Hopefully it works out for us.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished sorting the entirety of my 7th Continent, which included all the expansion content. Whew.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Kickstarted Aeons End: New Age (my first ever Kickstarter) and have heard absolutely nothing about my purchase shipping to Australia.
I've sent e-mails and asked on the Discord and been ignored across both.

Really, really sour experience. Don't think I'll Kickstart another Aeons End product, despite really enjoying the game itself.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarted Aeons End: New Age (my first ever Kickstarter) and have heard absolutely nothing about my purchase shipping to Australia.
I've sent e-mails and asked on the Discord and been ignored across both.

Really, really sour experience. Don't think I'll Kickstart another Aeons End product, despite really enjoying the game itself.
It's a bit of a shame that you have been ignored, but well... it's also very clear in their last update (from august 21st)

For the Rest of World fulfillment, including Asia and Australia, VFI shipping has begun. Since they use a "Hub" shipping method to reduce costs and fees, expect in country shipping to begin in about a month.

That you won't be getting your game shipped until near the end of this month.

Keep in mind as well the estimated delivery was sept 2019 in general, so it's at this point in no way late at all. (even if others have already gotten their game in other parts of the world)
Yes they should have responded to you, but at the same time you are at fault as well for not reading their updates about shipping. (shipping a kickstarter is a lot of work in general, and you get lots of people asking questions (which can flood an email inbox) that while it's unprofessional not to respond, I also can't fault them for not responding to questions that have been answered in official updates (though on discord I would have expected someone to point you to the update as I did))
They have some of the smoothest run kickstarters I've been a part of, so if you find this experience to be really sour I would highly recommend you never back another game on kickstarter as a lot of them miss their estimated deliveries by months and don't give proper updates.

Last edited:

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
It's a bit of a shame that you have been ignored, but well... it's also very clear in their last update (from august 21st)

That you won't be getting your game shipped until near the end of this month.

Keep in mind as well the estimated delivery was sept 2019 in general, so it's at this point in no way late at all. (even if others have already gotten their game in other parts of the world)
Yes they should have responded to you, but at the same time you are at fault as well for not reading their updates about shipping. (shipping a kickstarter is a lot of work in general, and you get lots of people asking questions (which can flood an email inbox) that while it's unprofessional not to respond, I also can't fault them for not responding to questions that have been answered in official updates (though on discord I would have expected someone to point you to the update as I did))
They have some of the smoothest run kickstarters I've been a part of, so if you find this experience to be really sour I would highly recommend you never back another game on kickstarter as a lot of them miss their estimated deliveries by months and don't give proper updates.

I saw this update after I initially reached out. Really, any kind of correspondence would have been nice, rather than me having to seek information.
I definitely don't think Kickstarter is for me because at this point I might as well have just waited for local retailers to get their copies and used my money to pick up something else in the meantime. Also this is largely an Australia problem.

Thank you for the reply and alternative view point, I appreciate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Coolstuffinc.com has Rattle Battle Grab the Loot and Porta Nigra for super cheap right now, so I decided to pick them both up.

Also, got a chance to play Cloudspire and Vindication. Cloudspire was a slog, but a fun one. Learning the rules on that one took a lot of time. Our first playthrough of a general 3 player free fur all took 5.5 hours. Pretty sure we could cut that in half, which at least brings it into Feast for Odin territory timewise.

Vindication is pretty quick learn, though I was tired at that point and parts of it didn't click until after the game was over. I think that was more a function of me learning it after learning Cloudspire than any difficulty with the game itself.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I backed and feel pretty good about it. They also have given reasonable delivery time frames. On some of the other forums I lurk in, the users who backed their previous projects stated that they haven't had any issues.

Between this and Oathsworn, I'm going to be stacked to the gills with story games. The one I'm torn on, is the Isofarian Guard. I like the fact that it's made just for two players, so my wife and I could have a blast with it. I'm just not convinced of bag building. I backed out of Trudvang because the bag building in that didn't impress me.
Oathsworn looks amazing both in concept and in artstyle. But I barely played my Gloomhaven :\

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Just received a newsletter from Stonemaier Games about the Tapestry shipping situation.

The bulk of it was basically: "Come on people just chill! It's coming." lol