• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just received a newsletter from Stonemaier Games about the Tapestry shipping situation.

The bulk of it was basically: "Come on people just chill! It's coming." lol

I think they prepacked a bunch without dice to help speed up shipping and people saw orders that were 1000 after them being shipped first . It shoulda just been first come first served to make sure no one was mad. But honestly it's no huge deal cause they shipped before the promised time . But understandable while people get upset

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I think they prepacked a bunch without dice to help speed up shipping and people saw orders that were 1000 after them being shipped first . It shoulda just been first come first served to make sure no one was mad. But honestly it's no huge deal cause they shipped before the promised time . But understandable while people get upset

Yeah. It's actually cool that some people already received their game! The graphic on the game page when ordering clearly showed the dispatch time for SM Champions being Sept. 10 - 17, and standard dispatch being Sept. 18 - 20. Today is the 10th, so everything is under control!

shipping_chart_-_Tapestry_large.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's actually cool that some people already received their game! The graphic on the game page when ordering clearly showed the dispatch time for SM Champions being Sept. 10 - 17, and standard dispatch being Sept. 18 - 20. Today is the 10th, so everything is under control!

shipping_chart_-_Tapestry_large.jpg

Yep and honestly I'm shocked how fast they are moving for just being a publisher

On a side note I'm out of storage :( I have enough room for 1-2 more games. I have a 7 ft tall bookcase and then 4x4 kallax (16 cube one).
Wife says no more. Ajhhhh
I just did a purge of 8 games over the summer but don't want to do more. I see they sell smaller kallax maybe I can squeeze one in next to it...

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Oathsworn looks amazing both in concept and in artstyle. But I barely played my Gloomhaven :\

My brother has Gloomhaven and we have played a total of two sessions. Haha. The game mechanically is great, but for whatever reason getting it to the table has been borderline impossible. Oathsworn looks like my dream game though, so here's to hoping that it turns out great.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I received Horrified yesterday from Amazon. I snagged it for $34 on Sunday. Between the price, the reviews, and the fall season, I couldn't help myself. With next day delivery, my family and I settled in to play a round last night.

This would fall into the realm of a perfect game for my family. Cooperative, horror themed, relatively simple, and around an hour in length. There are definite shadows of Pandemic that haunt the game, but it is a fun and interesting take. The monster themed and unique "mini games" needed to make each monster vulnerable were a *huge* hit. We hope they make more monster expansions, or even a new game later based on different monsters in a different setting.

The components are beautiful/well themed and playing the actual game is intense. The group has to stay on their toes the entire game because things can go south pretty quickly. Several times last night we were saved thanks to astute observations from the kids. We won last night on easy mode (2 monsters) but tonight the family is eager to play a normal game with 3 monsters. A definite hit for us and a great addition to the collection!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
My brother has Gloomhaven and we have played a total of two sessions. Haha. The game mechanically is great, but for whatever reason getting it to the table has been borderline impossible. Oathsworn looks like my dream game though, so here's to hoping that it turns out great.
Gloomhaven is just so massive. It takes a lot of time to set up and then actually play it. It's not even complicated or slow paced. Just so much material to keep track of. This Aeons Greek game that Kickstarter yesterday looks even more massive, lol. But Oathsworn actually looks kinda manageable. Curious about the price with all the minis. 99$ is only the hero minis but standees for the big monsters as far as I understood it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there were more medium-light or medium weight coop games that weren't Pandemic-style.
I really enjoy Escape the Dark Castle. It's card and dice based, super easy to learn but really fun to play. But you need to like the artstyle to really enjoy it.

A bit heavier and more complex but still very manageable and overall great are the Dungeon & Dragons Board Game System games like Ravenholm and Legend of Drizzt. Really cool, easy to learn and a feast for the eyes with great minis for a reasonable price IMO.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Gloomhaven is just so massive. It takes a lot of time to set up and then actually play it. It's not even complicated or slow paced. Just so much material to keep track of. This Aeons Greek game that Kickstarter yesterday looks even more massive, lol. But Oathsworn actually looks kinda manageable. Curious about the price with all the minis. 99$ is only the hero minis but standees for the big monsters as far as I understood it.

Yeah I'm not sure what to expect for the price point of the boss miniatures. I fear it's going to be quite expensive, but I am a sucker for plastic rather than standees. It scratches that action figure itch from when I was a kid. Lol

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
The Broken Token organizer for Gloomhaven is literally the *only* way we ever get it out and away as often as we do. Sometimes when I look across the table at all the components I just can't believe how anyone would go about playing it without the organizer.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The Broken Token organizer for Gloomhaven is literally the *only* way we ever get it out and away as often as we do. Sometimes when I look across the table at all the components I just can't believe how anyone would go about playing it without the organizer.
I have organizers but its still a challenge XD Game is great though. Really great in fact with great atmosphere and artwork.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017

I've heard there is also a companion app that really helps. I believe it takes care of all the enemy decks. I haven't used it, but I've heard great things.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there were more medium-light or medium weight coop games that weren't Pandemic-style.
Have you looked into A Touch of Evil by Flying Frog Productions? It's a Gothic horror game that can be played competitively or cooperatively. There are a couple expansions out, but overall I think the game is "done" as FFP has their hands full with their Shadows of Brimstone line. The general gist of A Touch of Evil is there is a supernatural horror of some variety out there, and you have to gear up, track it down and kill it. There's a ton of fiddly parts, cards and charts to roll on and stuff, but overall I'd say it's fairly medium weight. It's not as heavy as Gloomhaven by any stretch, but still a bit more complex than Pandemic.

Also there's Shadows of Brimstone, but that might actually be up there with Gloomhaven even though it's dice/cards instead of just cards.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Betrayal Legacy has to be the most fun I've ever had with a board game. Only issue is storage, it feels like a clusterfuck. What did you guys do with the cards you've already gone through in the legacy deck?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Wasn't there a DIY Gloomhaven storage method somewhere in this thread?

On BGG there's a pretty good DIY solution using cheap Plano boxes. This is what I use and it works very well. I'll try to find the link.

Edit:
Here it is:
boardgamegeek.com

Y.A.S.S (Yet Another Storage Solution) | Gloomhaven

A few people have messaged me asking for pictures showing how I've organized Gloomhaven. I think it's a great system: everything fits in the box, the important things are labelled and well separated, set up and tear down are quick, and implementing it doesn't consume a huge

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Played Gizmos, Quacks and Time Stories (the Egyptian one) yesterday. Gizmos and Quacks were a lot of fun as usual. Time Stories was another disappointment for me. (I also missed one detail on a character card which made it impossible to win)
I'm jealous. I've been wanting to try Gizmos and Quacks for a little while now. I figure I'll probably just buy Gizmos myself once the new version with the plastic marble dispenser comes out, but I'm still not sure about Quacks and need to probably try it first to see what I think. Not sure when I'll ever be able to do that though.

I got to play two games that were new to me last night, twice each:
-Century: Spice Road
-Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road

Both were pretty interesting and I have to say I liked both and am considering buying both. I definitely get why the Century games are well-liked. It was so simple and fast, but with a lot of choice with the different actions available. Once I had obtained a good amount of cards, I kept thinking to myself while staring at my hand 'wow... that is a lot of different possibilities.' I didn't really ever feel like I got bogged down by the amount of choices either, though I did lose both games, so maybe I wasn't putting as much thought into what I was doing as I should have?

Kashgar was really interesting and I remarked to the game's owner that I had no idea what to call the primary mechanic and hadn't ever heard of anything like it before. I guess it's similar to deck-building, the BGG lists the mechanisms as "Deck/Pool-Building," and the game's description says they refer to it as "open deck-building." It is similar to deck-building in that you are obtaining new cards that can continuously be used, but you don't get to really play them in any order you want because you are not shuffling them into a deck. You begin the game with three "caravans" and when you obtain a card for a caravan, it goes in the back of that line. Whenever you use the top-most card in a caravan, and you can only use one a turn, it cycles to the back of that caravan. So you do get to use the card you obtained maybe just obtained eventually like in deck-building but you have to balance what caravans you are adding to and what you already have in that line. You may want to use a spice merchant in one of your caravans that lets you fulfill an order, but the order may require a specific amount of a spice that the card that was in line before it that you used on the last turn forced you to get rid of. It was definitely 'thinky.'

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Woah I haven't been following a while but those new legendary marvel expansions, Antman and World War Hulk in particular look pretty cool.... but I can't really get deck builders to the table and it's not my thing solo. If I'm buying any marvel it'll be Champions in a few months

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Lol I'm on Dimensions (re-release of the trading card timed exclusive heroes like Howard the Duck plus new heroes like Squirrel Girl) and Revelations (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and War Machine finally + cool two-sided schemes) now. World War Hulk was like 4 expansions ago, but it was really good if you like the Hulk. I had no interest in the Venom expansion, and Ant-Man is good, if unspectacular.

I always find that deck-builders are by far the easiest thing for me to get to the table.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awkward Guests officially shipped! Can't wait to get this one.
Yup, it'll be nice addition that should get to the table easily enough. The only other long-standing tabletop KS remaining is Seize the Bean.
Betrayal Legacy has to be the most fun I've ever had with a board game. Only issue is storage, it feels like a clusterfuck. What did you guys do with the cards you've already gone through in the legacy deck?

The storage is pretty odd, and wasn't designed for travelling in mind. Right now I try to keep all the old main cards with the Purgatory Deck, but I may just start moving them into a separate box/container entirely. Until I find a better solution, it's one of the very few games I won't just toss into a bag. Always needs to be face-up. Otherwise the cards go everywhere and mix.

Oct 25, 2017
On BGG there's a pretty good DIY solution using cheap Plano boxes. This is what I use and it works very well. I'll try to find the link.

Edit:
Here it is:
boardgamegeek.com

A few people have messaged me asking for pictures showing how I've organized Gloomhaven. I think it's a great system: everything fits in the box, the important things are labelled and well separated, set up and tear down are quick, and implementing it doesn't consume a huge

Yeah I did that too

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

Edit:
Here it is:
boardgamegeek.com

I did this with my copy. It's so nice for setting up and tearing down

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Gloomhaven, I used plano boxes for the various tokens and mini-euro cards, cd sleeves for the monsters (sheet, cards, standees), accordion folder for map tiles, and deckbox for cards.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed Underwater Cities from CSIs daily deal and I'll be picking it up as soon as they're ready with it. I love Last Will and Pulsar 2849 so I'm really looking forward to diving in to this one. This reminds me that I should buy Last Will.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it takes us like 5-10 minutes to set up and then there isn't too much more besides controlling our characters because we just use an app for the monsters :P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
it takes us like 5-10 minutes to set up and then there isn't too much more besides controlling our characters because we just use an app for the monsters :P
Using the app isn't really an option for me because I don't like to stare at a screen all the time. Kinda defeats the purpose of playing a board game IMHO.

The thing is we just need to play more often to build more routine, then things will get faster and more easy automatically ^^

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Using the app isn't really an option for me because I don't like to stare at a screen all the time. Kinda defeats the purpose of playing a board game IMHO.

The thing is we just need to play more often to build more routine, then things will get faster and more easy automatically ^^
It's still far from staring at a screen all the time. It just streamlines the monster stuff so you don't need to pull out the monster decks, or shuffle any of the cards or anything like that, and gives you an easy way to track initiative, you still have to do everything else with the monsters on the board and what not.

But if you would rather have more clutter on the table and have things require a lot more finicky bits to avoid technology because it harms your board game experience then by all means you do you :P

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a DIY Gloomhaven storage method somewhere in this thread?
I did this last year :
Seems like a good opportunity to share the custom insert I finaly finished last month :
1528872847-20180613-084155.jpg

Not that expensive of an option, but pretty time consuming., while commercial ones are expensive AF in europe with the shipping cost from what I saw.
I still need to add grips to it so I can get everything out of the box in one go.

I also finaly ( not that it should take long but I had many other things to do and I'm easily distracted ) finished making my Ikea Bjursta table into a gaming table :

1528872849-20180613-084658.jpg

( Gloomhaven map for scale )

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody played Vindication? It's in stock at MM and looks like a nice non-campaign style game.

I'm playing it next week with a group, but first impressions when looking into to it to prep a little is it seems way overproduced and thus pricey for what it is. I imagine I will still greatly enjoy it and it is very well done component wise, but I'm just glad it is someone else that bought it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Bah fedex is frustrating me, they say this package with Awkward Guest is in ct like an hour away from me, but they won't be able to deliver until next week -.-

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody played Vindication? It's in stock at MM and looks like a nice non-campaign style game.
I rather enjoyed it with my one play. It's a very straight-forward resource gathering/resource conversion game, however it's got a really cool theme to it that sets it apart from your standard bone-dry "trading in the Mediterranean" euros. It plays pretty quickly too. I think our learning game only took about 90 minutes or so.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! Just wanted a few recommendations from everyone.

My fiancee and I are pretty avid board game players and we are trying to start game nights at our place. Well, we've already started them but we kind of need to get more games to get peoples interest. Some of the games we currently play are; Mansions of Madness, Dead of Winter, Epic Spell Wars, Sushi-Go!, and of course stuff like Monopoly and Risk.

We are looking for mostly easily accessible games that are short and exciting, if that makes sense. We are also looking for more strategic games (akin to the examples I mentioned). Anyone have any recommendations for me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Well I ended up cancelling my Tapestry order. It was just too much money to spend on a game right now. For me it ended up costing $123 Canadian. I just couldn't justify it

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

I played it a couple of times and had some mixed feelings.

The core of it is a good game. It reminds me of things I like in Race for the Galaxy, Lacerda games, and Fresco (shout out if you know that game). I liked it enough that I wanted to play more than once (and it really clicked the second time around).

But the game also seems to lack a consistent polish to its overall design. Like sometimes the iconography is just not good. And why did they make minis for an optional expansion you might not play with while everybody gets cubes to do all the essential things? Why do things not fit in the special custom gametray things or the box?

It's not very good. It's the definition of a overbloated and undercooked Kickstarter game. There are much better resource management/engine builders out there.

Overbloated I agree, it has all these expansions that feel like they couldn't decide what mechanics to cut, so they didn't.

But undercooked, I don't know. I really do think the core game is pretty good.

I rather enjoyed it with my one play. It's a very straight-forward resource gathering/resource conversion game, however it's got a really cool theme to it that sets it apart from your standard bone-dry "trading in the Mediterranean" euros. It plays pretty quickly too. I think our learning game only took about 90 minutes or so.

TBH the theme of Vindication feels about as pasted on to me as the typical eurogame.