• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
How do you find Nusfjord? It's probably the WP i'm most interested in at the moment.

Nusfjord, imo, is clearly A Feast for Odin's little brother. The DNA they share is immediately obvious...but they're not twins, and Nusfjord is not a dumbed down AFfO. It minimizes the "cover up negative points on your board with tiles" mechanic to something pretty breezy. Just three resources, wood, money and fish. Adds a neat forest mechanic. The elders add some freedom for players from the main worker placement board. It plays quicker, and can handle a fifth player without really bogging down.

I really like it, it's a shame it has to live in the shadow of it's sibling, because I think it does enough different things that there's room for both. However, if AFfO is too much, but you still want a Euro wp game, Nusfjord may fit the bill for you. I need to back off on board game buying just so that I can get some of the ones I already own more play time, and Nusfjord is definitely one I want to go back to.

Last edited:

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This is the last pic I have (badly cropped to hide dog toys all over). Probably in the middle of collectors. Not small but not like some I've seen

E4114-EE5-2-E07-461-F-9-F0-C-129-DA1-E51-B85.jpg
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is your copy of Scythe still sealed?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The first example that comes to mind is probably

I know Dominion is the "King" of all deck builders and is the most pure and all that but i'll play just about any deck builder over it because Dominion is incredibly dry in theme to me

This is just a pet peeve of mine, but I feel like "dryness" gets misused a lot as a catch-all term (and often pejoratively) for not liking a game, when people could give a more specific reason. I just don't know what to make of the "dryness" complaint half the time.

For example, I don't love Dominion. I much prefer Star Realms, because it's more exciting to play thanks to more generous combo mechanics and the direct confrontation. Both games have very generic themes that basically don't matter, but I've never heard anybody call Star Realms dry.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think it's fine if you don't like a game's subject or artwork. Or in the case of Feast for Odin, it might be that no amount of style or quality of artwork will help you like a game designed like that (while other people love it). I just wish people were clearer about why they don't like a thing, so people don't jump into "how dare you not like the king of all deck builders" reactions.

If offered i'd definitely check out Empyreal as a train game though just because I like the art and theme, even if its not as good at being about trains or whatever

I tried that once in TTS. Empyreal to me felt like a pretty standard game despite the ways they've tried to reinvent the theme. I mostly remember it as a game where you put a thing on a colored hex, and there were powers. Unfortunately it was visually pretty busy and hard to look at. IMO I appreciate the function of the graphics a lot more than whatever story it's trying to tell.

Last edited:

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a pet peeve of mine, but I feel like "dryness" gets misused a lot as a catch-all term (and often pejoratively) for not liking a game, when people could give a more specific reason. I just don't know what to make of the "dryness" complaint half the time.

For example, I don't love Dominion. I much prefer Star Realms, because it's more exciting to play thanks to more generous combo mechanics and the direct confrontation. Both games have very generic themes that basically don't matter, but I've never heard anybody call Star Realms dry.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think it's fine if you don't like a game's subject or artwork. Or in the case of Feast for Odin, it might be that no style or quality of artwork will help you like a game designed like that (while other people love it). I just wish people were clearer about why they don't like a thing, so people don't jump into "how dare you not like the king of all deck builders" reactions.

sure, I get that. I think "dry" to me in the context of how I use it is even more subjectively that there isn't a lot of personality or flavor in the art or theme. If that's still too esoteric of a description, I think of something like Scythe. Before the mechs come to the table, the board itself looks "dry" using this context, and the setting is a post war europe, but there's a visual satisfaction with the various main units + their animals.

I didn't mean to say Feast for Odin looked like shit, I take that back. I think "visually satisfying" is more of the completely subjective point I was trying to make, and I think Everdell looks incredible from a board and art standpoint, and because of that I would take it over a "better" Worker Placement game. Maybe it's lifespan wouldn't be as long, but It'd have a better shot at getting played in my group.

I hope i'm explaining myself clearly, even if i'm alone in this lol

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nusfjord, imo, is clearly A Feast for Odin's little brother. The DNA they share is immediately obvious...but they're not twins, and Nusfjord is not a dumbed down AFfO. It minimizes the "cover up negative points on your board with tiles" mechanic to something pretty breezy. Just three resources, wood, money and fish. Adds a neat forest mechanic. The elders add some freedom for players from the main worker placement board. It plays quicker, and can handle a fifth player without really bogging down.

I really like it, it's a shame it has to live in the shadow of it's sibling, because I think it does enough different things that there's room for both. However, if AFfO is too much, but you still want a Euro wp game, Nusfjord may fit the bill for you. I need to back off on board game buying just so that I can get some of the ones I already own more play time, and Nusfjord is definitely one I want to go back to.
Thanks for your feedback. I'd like to try Odin myself, but I think it's too much for my group. Nusfjord might be more their thing.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I have decided to cancel my order of Tapestry for now & maybe see if I can pick one up nearer Christmas or early next year. Happy to see what a few friends opinions are of the game (and perhaps get some plays in on their copies first).

Have got a copy of Spirit Island coming my way instead! Have watched some play through's and it certainly looks challenging.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Just another reason that people should just avoid CMON like the plague.

Sure, there might be a tariff on board games from China, but it's only 15% of the manufacturing cost, and should not affect final retail prices that much. Even then, that should have no bearing on those ridiculous non-US shipping prices. They're definitely trying to get people in the door with an "attractive" price, and then completely bend them over on shipping & handling.

Oct 25, 2017
We did 2 player Horrified tonight. Did easy mode . Was super fun. We won pretty easy with 6 damage. Will do 3 monsters next time. Loved it though and the art and style was great

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Thousands of people are lining up to pay hundreds of dollars (+ an insane amount for shipping) to get these games full of plastic and minis, and yet some of the same people are complaining that Tapestry is too expensive and that it should't have included its landmark minis because it increased the price.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Thousands of people are lining up to pay hundreds of dollars (+ an insane amount for shipping) to get these games full of plastic and minis, and yet some of the same people are complaining that Tapestry is too expensive and that it should't have included its landmark minis because it increased the price.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wanted Rising Sun but...not that bad. I'm not sure how CMON gets away with it. I get it that they're shipping from America but there are literally shipping prices in the $300+ range.

Then again, I don't really understand shipping.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Played Tapestry with 4 tonight, and I can't stop thinking about it. It's not balanced... At all... But I'm ok with that! I look at it like an optimization puzzle, if I feel l optimized the best I could, I am ok with how I did.

The gameplay is so good, and I almost wish someone would take it and balance the shit out of it for my friends that enjoy more balanced games

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a couple of solo games of Teotihuacan using the expansion modules from the Late Preclassic Period box. I did 2 modules in the first game, and 4 in the second game - tried them all at least once across those two games. Here are some impressions:

Height of Development (the new Orange temple track)
This is a new temple track that rewards you with some pretty awesome powers if you climb it. However, the only way up the track is through the wild temple action, so it made me focus a lot on going to that Worship space, or getting it as a bonus. The track also has spaces that let you move a worker back counter-clockwise, which can be a big deal if you want to revisit a space and not go all the way around.

Seasons of Progress (rule tweak for each era)
This one gives you a random draw at a rule tweak (usually a beneficial one) that lasts throughout one era. For example, one of them made the pyramid scoring multiplier 5/4/3 instead of 4/3/2. This one came up in the first era, and I definitely as hard as I could building pyramid pieces, because 5x made for some really nice points on top of what I already got from the pyramid.

Priests and Priestesses (individual player powers):
Everyone gets a special ability, but it has a dual-edged sword element to it. For example, the power I got was to make every Main Action cost 1 cocoa, no matter how many other workers are on it. That is an amazing power, but it also means you pay 1 even if the space is empty (in that case it would have been free). The other power I had a choice of (you draw 2 and pick one) was to get a free resource and temple move when you pick up a mask (amazing) - but you can't pick up anything except masks, which is a big gamble.

Architecture (an alternate board for Decorations) and Development (alternate board for Pyramid building)
These two seemed like the least different / new things of the set, but they do make the game slightly harder by making the power of the ability equal to the lowest power worker (like the resource spaces). However, they also have some interesting new bonuses as well, like a free worker unlock that I took advantage of once to great effect.

Overall? Teotihuacan is a game that I sit down to and have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to plan a sequence of moves melts my brain, there are just so many strange branches to the decision tree, and resources are very tight. I think this expansion really helps you try and focus your strategy by giving certain activities more of an incentive. I just found myself doing Worship or going after temple bonuses way more than I ever have because of that orange track and those awesome powers, or throwing everything into pyramid building because of the extra points. A lot of the new things help you break rules, and it turns out it's pretty fun to do that in a game that might be a little too rigid and incomprehensible sometimes.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pandemic: Cthulhu ended up arriving last Friday. My fiancee and I played a few games with just the two of us and man, it is HARD. I want to say almost borderline impossible with just two people. We ended up getting 3 gates shut twice but before we could shut the last we would run out of cultists.

All in all it is a lot of fun and actually required a little more strategy then I had originally assumed. Going to have some people over next weekend and we will definitely be playing. Thanks again for the rec!

Oct 26, 2017
Spirit Island has a super thick rule book! Looking forward to playing.

zb8ZWXt_d.jpg

Game is amazing and it's far less complex than it seems, but there's usually lots of questions early about what does what, what a word or phrase means, etc. I'd recommend bookmarking the living FAQ

And also check out their commonly misplayed rules.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Game is amazing and it's far less complex than it seems, but there's usually lots of questions early about what does what, what a word or phrase means, etc. I'd recommend bookmarking the living FAQ

And also check out their commonly misplayed rules.

Thanks a lot, will definitely take a look at these.

Pandemic: Cthulhu ended up arriving last Friday. My fiancee and I played a few games with just the two of us and man, it is HARD. I want to say almost borderline impossible with just two people. We ended up getting 3 gates shut twice but before we could shut the last we would run out of cultists.

All in all it is a lot of fun and actually required a little more strategy then I had originally assumed. Going to have some people over next weekend and we will definitely be playing. Thanks again for the rec!

I'm a big fan on Pandemic and the spin off titles have been consistently above average to great.

I think that Iberia in particular is probably the best version of Pandemic I have played outside of Legacy season one. Glad you are enjoying Cthulhu, I don't own it but really enjoyed what I played of a friends copy.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Went to Fal Con yesterday and got a chance to play a few games including Awkward Guest. Game came down to the wire and everyone at the table was within a turn away from winning, but each person had a different element of the puzzle they were trying to sure up when the person made the winning guess.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Very nice organisers!

Played my first solo Spirit Island game....it really gets the brain cells working, I can't say I am particularly great at teaching games at the best of times but can't even imagine trying to teach a new player this right now. As mentioned above the turn progression/phases are actually pretty easy along with individual card actions being relatively simple once you have an understanding of the iconography.

What really pushes it is examining the board on a number of different timescales of what is due to build & what is ravaging. In addition I am tracking two levels of fast and slow powers that interact with each other along with the overall area control game, individual spirits abilities and power levels....it feels like a hell lot to track.

I watched a few good run throughs before purchasing but my first game still ran for over 2 hours due to the amount of sheer thought going into turns. I sped up a bit by the end, I think my first moves took about half an hour of looking at the board and powers.

It's certainly the heaviest and most 'strategic' feeling game I think I have so far. I really enjoyed it, I can tell it is something that a lot of time can be put into.

e492PHr.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Very nice organisers!

Played my first solo Spirit Island game....it really gets the brain cells working, I can't say I am particularly great at teaching games at the best of times but can't even imagine trying to teach a new player this right now. As mentioned above the turn progression/phases are actually pretty easy along with individual card actions being relatively simple once you have an understanding of the iconography.

What really pushes it is examining the board on a number of different timescales of what is due to build & what is ravaging. In addition I am tracking two levels of fast and slow powers that interact with each other along with the overall area control game, individual spirits abilities and power levels....it feels like a hell lot to track.

I watched a few good run throughs before purchasing but my first game still ran for over 2 hours due to the amount of sheer thought going into turns. I sped up a bit by the end, I think my first moves took about half an hour of looking at the board and powers.

It's certainly the heaviest and most 'strategic' feeling game I think I have so far. I really enjoyed it, I can tell it is something that a lot of time can be put into.

Nice I want to get it back to the table again, and I may be teaching it this Wednesday at a local game store. There's so many cool things for you to see and do in that box still!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Very nice organisers!

e492PHr.jpg

It's a great game. I managed to sell my copy with the promos for a good price and did a late pledge on here. I love how scalable the difficulty is.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Has anyone played awkward guests yet? How is it 2 player? Should I wait for a larger group?

I've yet to try it at 2 players, but it worked well at 3. The biggest change I see in a 2 player game is you get to ask about 4 topics instead of 2, so more information can potentially passes between players. Part of the strategy of the game is both knowing what to ask for and knowing how much to offer from your hand. In my 3 player game I often had only 1 or 0 cards relevant to the things being asked about, but the rare time I had 3-4 I had to think about how much I wanted to offer, or go all in for a big info trade. A 2 player game would probably be more exciting in some ways since those decisions would come up more often. I hope to get a 2 player game played this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to try it at 2 players, but it worked well at 3. The biggest change I see in a 2 player game is you get to ask about 4 topics instead of 2, so more information can potentially passes between players. Part of the strategy of the game is both knowing what to ask for and knowing how much to offer from your hand. In my 3 player game I often had only 1 or 0 cards relevant to the things being asked about, but the rare time I had 3-4 I had to think about how much I wanted to offer, or go all in for a big info trade. A 2 player game would probably be more exciting in some ways since those decisions would come up more often. I hope to get a 2 player game played this weekend.

nice
If you play a 2 player let us know how it went. I may try to do 2 player this weekend also but pretty busy. I have more odds of doing 2 player than 3+ though so curious to hear if it's as good/better/worse

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
For the first time, I have ordered a game from a print and play company. I saw some pictures of the final products and it looks like they make pretty good stuff so, here is hoping. It is also pretty funny that I ordered it at like 3 am Monday morning and the game will be here tomorrow. Shit is like Amazon Prime.

Jasonic

Oct 30, 2017
I got my Trickerion Collectors Edition box yesterday. I spent almost two hours going through everything and organizing it. Not being that familiar with the game made it pretty tough. Then I spent my night dreaming about organizing the game.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Trickerion Collectors Edition box yesterday. I spent almost two hours going through everything and organizing it. Not being that familiar with the game made it pretty tough. Then I spent my night dreaming about organizing the game.

I ended up watching a video about how to organize it, took me a while to organize it in any case.