• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use cardboard caravan before to get spiel games? How long does it take to ship for USA delivery?

You'll get them around the time of BGG.Con in November. Basically FunAgain ships pallets of games over via airplane after buying them at Essen, with BGG.Con usually being the first point of distribution for preorders, then to online around the same time, though they're doing PAX Unplugged pickup too now. I've used them in the past, and friends usually get something from them each year.

They usually can't guarantee exactly what they'll get & in what sort of numbers, and you'll pay a good chunk more than you'd like. If a publisher is planning to ship a game in the US this year, they'll typically avoid it for this service, mind. Did I say you'll pay a good chunk more than you'd like for this? :)

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get them around the time of BGG.Con in November. Basically FunAgain ships pallets of games over via airplane after buying them at Essen, with BGG.Con usually being the first point of distribution for preorders, then to online around the same time, though they're doing PAX Unplugged pickup too now. I've used them in the past, and friends usually get something from them each year.

They usually can't guarantee exactly what they'll get & in what sort of numbers, and you'll pay a good chunk more than you'd like. If a publisher is planning to ship a game in the US this year, they'll typically avoid it for this service, mind. Did I say you'll pay a good chunk more than you'd like for this? :)
Thanks! So probably to me by early dec. I really want to get The Magnificent and it doesn't look like it'll be coming to USA any time soon

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Can anyone recommend me something akin to HeroQuest, but maybe something that doesn't require a GM (although not a dealbreaker if it does)? I love procedurally generated dungeon crawler types and horror and fantasy are my favorite genres. Also, is it true that HQ is out of print and really expensive nowadays?

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend me something akin to HeroQuest, but maybe something that doesn't require a GM (although not a dealbreaker if it does)? I love procedurally generated dungeon crawler types and horror and fantasy are my favorite genres. Also, is it true that HQ is out of print and really expensive nowadays?
Check out Altar Quest! It's not immediately available as it doesn't ship until early next year, but it was heavily inspired by Hero Quest. Late Pledges close very soon FYI if you are keen.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Just played Tapestry for the first time. Good game, lots of difficult choices to make and the different civilizations feel very unique. We also had a good laugh about some of the disconnects, like how I was doing interstellar travel while I had just invented pottery. Can't wait to play again!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sweet, looks like I should be able to get a board gaming get together group for my local area going in a week or so and even got a number of local places willing to host it(May do rotating locations if I can get it going weekly, I'm in a small batch of 5 small towns in a valley so they're all close together). I may get to do a real game of warehouse 13 sooner than I thought

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I backed it. Those are some pretty amazing stretch goals too, and reasonable shipping to Japan.
I'm glad it's to your liking! I haven't played Hero Quest but I'm well aware of the similarities between the two and the inspiration it served Altar Quest. I have an all-in pledge. It's honestly my most anticipated game.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Japan?

Oh man, I'd love to hear some of the board game shops you visit.

I've actually been looking into this for my trip next year.

Wow, I had no idea that place existed. I'm based in Hiroshima, and the board game scene here is pretty sad. We've got over a million people in the city, but only 2 dedicated brick and mortar board game shops, neither of which have anything in English. I am part of a gaming group, but it's all ex-pats and permanent residents, and we all just order our stuff from Miniature Market or Amazon or wherever. One of those friends is the guy who got me into board games and TTRPGs in the first place, and he's the one who introduced me to Hero Quest.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Well going to play Root for the first time tonight. Playing a 3 player game. Any rules you guys missed/misinterpreted that you could share? Also, I know they have a recommended faction list for 3 players but wanted some comments from those who have played. My copy I picked up is 2nd edition and I played the 4 player walkthrough myself last night and read both the learn to play and the book of law.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Well going to play Root for the first time tonight. Playing a 3 player game. Any rules you guys missed/misinterpreted that you could share? Also, I know they have a recommended faction list for 3 players but wanted some comments from those who have played. My copy I picked up is 2nd edition and I played the 4 player walkthrough myself last night and read both the learn to play and the book of law.
The river is not a path unless you are playing with Riverfolk (expansion faction).

Print out the errata, it updates the rule book and has a few cutouts for a few factions.

The recommended faction list is just stating they have been playtested together.

But other than that, we probably can't give you too much advice without knowing which factions anyone is playing since they play differently. Make sure players completely read the front and back of their faction mat. Also, expansion or no?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
The river is not a path unless you are playing with Riverfolk (expansion faction).

Print out the errata, it updates the rule book and has a few cutouts for a few factions.

The recommended faction list is just stating they have been playtested together.

But other than that, we probably can't give you too much advice without knowing which factions anyone is playing since they play differently. Make sure players completely read the front and back of their faction mat. Also, expansion or no?

No expansions. Picked it up used for a good price.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The new expansion PnP actually has a slightly more general list of finding good faction combinations, though as it mentions it's still more of a rule of thumb:
01hRrWA.png

If it's the vanilla game with 3 (new) players then would definitely recommend making sure both cats and birds are in play.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Better Bots project is pretty good if you ever want to add a 4th player as AI.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I got my print and play order of 1889 in and it came out even better than I expected

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

72163743_396488067693238_5035726962740428800_n.jpg

Components are nice quality, everything was pre sorted and bagged, nice box. There is a slight misalignment on the board and a slight miscut on a set of the shares, but everything else is really good. I would probably order from them again lol

Oct 25, 2017
I got my print and play order of 1889 in and it came out even better than I expected

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

72163743_396488067693238_5035726962740428800_n.jpg

Components are nice quality, everything was pre sorted and bagged, nice box. There is a slight misalignment on the board and a slight miscut on a set of the shares, but everything else is really good. I would probably order from them again lol

that looks so good!

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The graphic design on that looks good. Compare to the original:

C9-SzN7XkAcngRA

"Elegant" is a word that gets overused in this hobby, but they turned a typically garish and overly busy genre of games into something sharp and well-organized.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Yea it looks really good aesthetically. Not only that, but it is much more functional. Lots of information is there on the board and on the tiles, double reminders in some cases so players know what happens with stock markers, when trains rust, when you can use the different color track tiles etc. All the Japanese writing also helps the entire design feel quite thematic, to the setting at least. It is a very good redesign. That artist also did versions of 1830 and 1886, I wish she would do more lol

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I got invited to a board game party at someone's house. It'll be my first one I've ever been to, and I had a question maybe yall could help me with. Normally, to a party, I'd bring some appetizers. Cream cheese and sausage peppers, wings, or at least some kinda dip. But that'd kinda greasy junk seems pretty bad to have around games. What kinda snacks do yall bring to these things?

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I got invited to a board game party at someone's house. It'll be my first one I've ever been to, and I had a question maybe yall could help me with. Normally, to a party, I'd bring some appetizers. Cream cheese and sausage peppers, wings, or at least some kinda dip. But that'd kinda greasy junk seems pretty bad to have around games. What kinda snacks do yall bring to these things?

Pretzels, grapes, finger sandwiches that won't drip a bunch of mayo or whatever when you take a bite.

My group actually does Costco pizza fairly frequently, but we eat it during breaks when people are just chatting and there are always plenty of wet wipes to go around. Everyone is very courteous about that kind of thing.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Thanks all for the Root advice. We played and it went relatively smoothly (other than for some explicable reason I messed up how to craft. Which we caught after a couple of crafting cards were played). My wife won on a dominance card as the Marquise de Cat in our 3 player game. Her and I both really enjoyed it but I think our third was on the fence. Might end up grabbing the new mechanical factions on backer kit.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it looks really good aesthetically. Not only that, but it is much more functional. Lots of information is there on the board and on the tiles, double reminders in some cases so players know what happens with stock markers, when trains rust, when you can use the different color track tiles etc. All the Japanese writing also helps the entire design feel quite thematic, to the setting at least. It is a very good redesign. That artist also did versions of 1830 and 1886, I wish she would do more lol
Where did you order this from? Just played my first 18xx in 1846 and our whole group is hooked. Someone said they might start trying to print and play their own version of 1889.

Oct 25, 2017

Our group is big on veggie dips , pretzels, etc.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well this is going to be interesting after talking with some family friends and another new friend we're trying to get an area board gaming night together and we've managed to get a ton of support from local businesses/venues that we're looking at doing rotating locations.

Me and the other older guy are going to be the main drivers on it and he's leaning towards starting with lightweight quick setup games(not all old ones, it's more about being able to get people going and engaged first then work them up), but on the flip side we do acknowledge we'll hopefully get a few people who are ready for the heavier stuff out the gate so it's not like I can't bring that either as long as I'm not accidentally burning out people

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Well this is going to be interesting after talking with some family friends and another new friend we're trying to get an area board gaming night together and we've managed to get a ton of support from local businesses/venues that we're looking at doing rotating locations.

Me and the other older guy are going to be the main drivers on it and he's leaning towards starting with lightweight quick setup games(not all old ones, it's more about being able to get people going and engaged first then work them up), but on the flip side we do acknowledge we'll hopefully get a few people who are ready for the heavier stuff out the gate so it's not like I can't bring that either as long as I'm not accidentally burning out people

What are some games you're looking to bring? I've had a lot of people really enjoy Dominion, Quest for El Dorado, and Azul. Such simple games to teach but Azul and Dominion can be pretty cutthroat at times.

And I posted this over in gaming side. If anyone wants to pop in and chime, that would be awesome.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What are some games you're looking to bring? I've had a lot of people really enjoy Dominion, Quest for El Dorado, and Azul. Such simple games to teach but Azul and Dominion can be pretty cutthroat at times.

And I posted this over in gaming side. If anyone wants to pop in and chime, that would be awesome.
I'm letting the other guy make the call but I think the big thing is getting people into games quick(as in setup time and play) the first few nights so some stuff I have in my game trunk currently that spring to mind are Boss Monster, Bang, Marvel Munchkin, And king of New York

Edit: I know Catan will definitely be brought, probably ticket to ride

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm letting the other guy make the call but I think the big thing is getting people into games quick(as in setup time and play) the first few nights so some stuff I have in my game trunk currently that spring to mind are Boss Monster, Bang, Marvel Munchkin, And king of New York

Edit: I know Catan will definitely be brought, probably ticket to ride

Codenames is a very fun and easy game to get people into and excited to try out more games.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the snack ideas. I'll probably go with some kinda veggie dip thing.

What about something quick and easy like Word Slam to warm people up?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
OK, I gave up and ordered the Quacks of Quedlinburg GeekUp Bit Set...

boardgamegeekstore.com

GeekUp Bit Set: Quacks of Quedlinburg

No one will think you are a charlatan if you show up for game night with these amazing potion ingredients bits for the game Quacks of Quedlinburg. Made from translucent plastic and featuring the original art from the game, you will truly never know how you played the game without them! The...

Last edited:

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Jaws is really good. Especially for the price.

I busted out Terra Mystica tonight after getting it in earlier this week, and it was a massive hit. I was worried it might be too heavy, but we caught on really quick. Now I am less worried about bringing things like Brass. I need to play it a few more times but it might be the best game I've played so far in my 12 months or so playing board games seriously.

We played another game of Tapestry beforehand, and I still really like it. I definitely like Scythe more, but it's still really good.