• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
That upgrade kit for Zombicide is a joke.

I'm glad I don't have to pay extra for them.

From their first update: "backers with a Reboot, Presidential, or All-Out pledge will get for free the 2nd Edition ID cards of ALL Survivors ever made for the 1st Edition of Zombicide"

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That upgrade kit for Zombicide is a joke.

I don't have any real investment in the OG game since I picked it up on a sale last year and never got it to the table, but it definitely could be better. Glad they are at least making the character cards a stretch goal throw in.

What bothers me a bit more is that the game feels like a half step back from Invader. No Concentrating Fire mechanic is a big disappointment.

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
Only a mere week till Essen and still no official word on Pandemic Legacy season 3. There was a teaser image at SHUX but that was close to nothing.

I know board game announcements work differently than say video games. Any chance for such a major release to just appear in Essen?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the legacy/story telling type games not hampered by only playing with two people? I have a four person group that plays games together semi-frequently, but I don't think they'd be into playing the same game that often. My fiance would be more up to it though.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Not making an (ex) pres Trump fatty/abomination is a huge miss on CMON's part. I know why they won't do it (though they did the covefe monster), but come ooon, blowing up an orange fatty 🤭

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, I feel like 7th Continent is actually a bit better with less than 4. I know several people who really like it with 2.

Seriouspoulp have the pre-order for a basic version of the game (Just 4 characters and 4 curses) as well as the big expansion "What goes up, must come down. There are also two mini expansions with more curses.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of the legacy/story telling type games not hampered by only playing with two people? I have a four person group that plays games together semi-frequently, but I don't think they'd be into playing the same game that often. My fiance would be more up to it though.
Gloomhaven plays totally fine with two players. And there is one on Kickstarter that is made for 1-2 players but I forgot the name. Fantasy based bag building game. Arkham Horror Card Game seems fine with two players as well but I didn't play it myself. Always considering to get into it though.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Aeon's End Legacy has worked really well with 2.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone use UPS my choice? When does it update, when label I created or after it's scanned? FedEx Sent an email the second a label was created. mini mart doesn't send tracking until like 2 days after they ship so hoping ups my choice will do it before then
When the label is printed it emails you and then it emails you a day before it is delivered and when the package is delivered. Typically it takes 24 hours before tracking information to populate after the label has been created.

Oct 25, 2017
When the label is printed it emails you and then it emails you a day before it is delivered and when the package is delivered. Typically it takes 24 hours before tracking information to populate after the label has been created.

I just got the notice from the shipping this morning. That works well.
Sadly it looks like miniature markets switch to UPS added a day to my delivery . It used to be overnight for the cheap rate now it's 2 day. Not a huge deal except for Friday releases. FedEx would deliver Saturday

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Gloomhaven plays totally fine with two players. And there is one on Kickstarter that is made for 1-2 players but I forgot the name. Fantasy based bag building game. Arkham Horror Card Game seems fine with two players as well but I didn't play it myself. Always considering to get into it though.
Arkham Horror LCG is great at two though not quite a Legacy game. And Gloomhaven played fine at two and I did majority of it at two, though I do find 3-4 players game to be better as far as mechanic is concern. A lot of people on Discord always go on and on about Aeon's End so that would be good option but I personally didn't care for it and never try the Legacy version.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

my wife and I love pandemic legacy as a 2 player game. Plays quick and still can feel like you're just getting by

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So I got a surprise package yesterday which turned out to be Tapestry. Apparently Jamie wanted me to review it. Due to family and health issues I have been on a hiatus from any games writing, but I will begin doing board game reviews again. Expect my Tapestry review to be done mid November.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any real investment in the OG game since I picked it up on a sale last year and never got it to the table, but it definitely could be better. Glad they are at least making the character cards a stretch goal throw in.

What bothers me a bit more is that the game feels like a half step back from Invader. No Concentrating Fire mechanic is a big disappointment.
The quick set-up is a significant and welcome improvement. An official campaign is also something I've wanted from Zombicide for a long time. I previously owned Green Horde but sold it in anticipation of Invader's arrival. I'm undecided on Moderncide but those changes are pushing me closer to pledging.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it appears I may have jumped off a cliff and volunteered to start a boardgame group at work for Wednesday lunchtimes (in part, that's a reason for my earlier query about funny icebreakers!)

So... now to curate a list of accessible titles to have readily to hand with a decent range of complexity and player counts, but generally aiming for no more than 1hr playtime. How does this look, in rough order of player count because I've no idea how many will actually participate:

Friday
One-deck Dungeon
Jaipur
Cockroach Poker
No Thanks!
For Sale
Skull
Incan Gold
Codenames

(These are notably fairly compact titles for storage and portability reasons; I'd also volunteer to bring in bulkier titles from home on request)

I've also had Just One, Mysterium and Azul just arrive today; while Mysterium and Azul physically larger titles, it might not be a bad idea to keep them in the office at least for now.

(I'll also volunteer to bring in bulkier titles from home on request, much of the above are small and easily portable, which helps!)

Any notable gaps there that I perhaps ought to address? I've still got a ton of stuff at home I could bring in. Certainly I probably should have one or more of Catan, Ticket To Ride, Carcasonne or Pandemic here, but they're a little bit buried in my collection!

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
So I got a surprise package yesterday which turned out to be Tapestry. Apparently Jamie wanted me to review it. Due to family and health issues I have been on a hiatus from any games writing, but I will begin doing board game reviews again. Expect my Tapestry review to be done mid November.

Hope you're doing better, I'll read that review

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any notable gaps there that I perhaps ought to address? I've still got a ton of stuff at home I could bring in. Certainly I probably should have one or more of Catan, Ticket To Ride, Carcasonne or Pandemic here, but they're a little bit buried in my collection!

For portability you might want to consider Ticket to Ride: New York depending on number of players. I could also see High Society working well. Welcome To .... can in theory go up to 100 players or more so that's another one you could try for larger numbers.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone played Tokyo Metro? It's a game I've been interested in, and got a trade offer for it, but I'm still hestitant about how often I'd actually get it to the table..

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Minor legal question, which I *assume* is fine but I thought I probably ought to make sure:

I'm not sure if it's strictly implicitly legal to redistribute rules documents as found (freely available) on a publisher's website. Is there anything concrete on the subject? I was thinking about putting rules references on our intranet, but I may just reference them via links, that should be fine.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Mclem, I would look at Fake Artist Goes to New York and some other Oink games for portability and fun.

Also, we played Court of the Dead Mourner's Call last night. It was our first game, but if you like Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World, check this one out. It plays similarly but doesn't have direct combat with other players. There's Inis like card drafting and some blind bidding as well. Our group really liked it. Nobody was familiar with the IP but the art and components are top notch. The other thing to look out for is that the KS version is 2-5 players whereas the retail one is only 2-4. If you're interested, you may want to try and grab a KS version while you can. It just got to backers last week.

Oct 25, 2017
Mclem, I would look at Fake Artist Goes to New York and some other Oink games for portability and fun.

Also, we played Court of the Dead Mourner's Call last night. It was our first game, but if you like Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World, check this one out. It plays similarly but doesn't have direct combat with other players. There's Inis like card drafting and some blind bidding as well. Our group really liked it. Nobody was familiar with the IP but the art and components are top notch. The other thing to look out for is that the KS version is 2-5 players whereas the retail one is only 2-4. If you're interested, you may want to try and grab a KS version while you can. It just got to backers last week.

this looks really cool
How long did a game take?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
this looks really cool
How long did a game take?

The box says 90 min plus. We played a five player with teaching in a bit over two hours. It is one of those games where you draw the vp out of a set pool of tokens and when they are gone the endgame is triggered. The number of vp in the pool decreases with fewer players. I think it will clock in at 90 minutes for a four player game and closer to two hours at five player.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017

You really are down the 18xx rabbit hole, aren't you? :) No criticism, it's a great place to be, there's no games quite like them. :)

I genuinely hadn't seen this KS, it's very tempting. I love everything about this:

1861 and 1867 are perfect as weeknight games as they can usually be played by 3 - 6 experienced players in 3 hours. The games are staples at 18xx gaming conventions often as a palate cleanser after playing a longer title.

Oct 25, 2017
The box says 90 min plus. We played a five player with teaching in a bit over two hours. It is one of those games where you draw the vp out of a set pool of tokens and when they are gone the endgame is triggered. The number of vp in the pool decreases with fewer players. I think it will clock in at 90 minutes for a four player game and closer to two hours at five player.

Nice that's a great length

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it appears I may have jumped off a cliff and volunteered to start a boardgame group at work for Wednesday lunchtimes (in part, that's a reason for my earlier query about funny icebreakers!)

So... now to curate a list of accessible titles to have readily to hand with a decent range of complexity and player counts, but generally aiming for no more than 1hr playtime. How does this look, in rough order of player count because I've no idea how many will actually participate:

Friday
One-deck Dungeon
Jaipur
Cockroach Poker
No Thanks!
For Sale
Skull
Incan Gold
Codenames

(These are notably fairly compact titles for storage and portability reasons; I'd also volunteer to bring in bulkier titles from home on request)

I've also had Just One, Mysterium and Azul just arrive today; while Mysterium and Azul physically larger titles, it might not be a bad idea to keep them in the office at least for now.

(I'll also volunteer to bring in bulkier titles from home on request, much of the above are small and easily portable, which helps!)

Other small foot print games would be Love Letter, The Mind, The Game, Rhino Super Hero, Perudo, Sushi Go, and the Tiny Epic Games.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Just finished Machi Koro Legacy, and... it was not a great experience for me. One player won 7 games in a row with the exact same strategy (and luck.) Most of the times it wasn't even close. I did enjoy the Legacy aspects, but Space Base just feels like a much better game.

Also, is anyone going to Spiel? I'll be there every day.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Played a game of Mansions of Madness last night after grabbing it on clearance at Target. We had a good time, I barely won, and my wife went insane then got killed. I'm glad I got it for 50% off because I really don't care for the the monster miniatures in this game and probably will never use them again. They don't stay on their bases, the bases are huge and take up too much space on the already crowded board, and you can't even see the numbers very well. We pretty quickly decided to just use the monster tiles instead of the miniatures.

Even though there are some significant differences between this game and Lord of the Rings, having played that one already made getting into this game much easier.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got to play Paladins of the West Kingdom yesterday and while I'd call it a perfectly fine game overall, it's also one that I feel represents the "overbalancing" endemic among more modern Eurogames. For example, each of the outsiders effectively provides three victory points when converted, regardless of the actual printed scoring. Likewise, while the various upgrade tracks provide somewhat different incentives, by and large any reasonable combination of tracks will score a very similar number of victory points to any other at end game. Given the vagaries of player order and random card draws, the difference in outcomes between a competent player and a good one seems marginal, which makes for decisions that lack weight. I don't have any burning desire to replay the game because I already know that the experience will be largely the same regardless of which choices I make, even if I can optimize out a few more points next time around.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I've been unsure for a while whether I like roll and write games. I've enjoyed the ones that I've played in the past, like Quixx and Dice Stars, but every time I consider buying one I ultimately pass. I got to play On Tour last week at game night and had a blast with it though. It seemed like it had the perfect level of puzzle-ness to it and I really liked the light "band on tour" theme (hell, I liked that it had a theme to it period). I'm probably gonna pick it up at some point.

Earlier I bought the second edition of Gizmos, which comes with the new plastic marble dispenser, and a copy of Western Legends. I've been reading the rules for Western Legends and watching video reviews all day so far. Hopefully they show up by next Tuesday.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I got to play Paladins of the West Kingdom yesterday and while I'd call it a perfectly fine game overall, it's also one that I feel represents the "overbalancing" endemic among more modern Eurogames. For example, each of the outsiders effectively provides three victory points when converted, regardless of the actual printed scoring. Likewise, while the various upgrade tracks provide somewhat different incentives, by and large any reasonable combination of tracks will score a very similar number of victory points to any other at end game. Given the vagaries of player order and random card draws, the difference in outcomes between a competent player and a good one seems marginal, which makes for decisions that lack weight. I don't have any burning desire to replay the game because I already know that the experience will be largely the same regardless of which choices I make, even if I can optimize out a few more points next time around.
Haven't played Paladins yet, but this is kind of how I feel about Architects as well to an extent. I do enjoy a dry "pure optimization" worker placement game now and then, but I do get burned out if I play them too much and they start to feel samey.

If you want a euro worker placement game that's blatantly and intentionally rough, we just played Carson City (big box) with 4 for the first time and man is it great. I'd only managed to get it to the table with 2 players in the past, but the conflict elements really really shine at 4 plus. In a weird way it gives me a Twilight Imperium vibe wherein it's largely still a very calculated euro experience, but those moments of dice-driven conflict really give it the excitement it needs. Some call that part of the game blasphemy, but I embrace it for the fun moments it creates!

Oct 25, 2017
I've been unsure for a while whether I like roll and write games. I've enjoyed the ones that I've played in the past, like Quixx and Dice Stars, but every time I consider buying one I ultimately pass. I got to play On Tour last week at game night and had a blast with it though. It seemed like it had the perfect level of puzzle-ness to it and I really liked the light "band on tour" theme (hell, I liked that it had a theme to it period). I'm probably gonna pick it up at some point.

Earlier I bought the second edition of Gizmos, which comes with the new plastic marble dispenser, and a copy of Western Legends. I've been reading the rules for Western Legends and watching video reviews all day so far. Hopefully they show up by next Tuesday.

If I might ask, what Roll and Writes have you played (beyond Quixx and Dice Stars)?
R&Ws tend to be light, but there have been moves recently to make heavier ones. Dino World is pretty good (It's a R&W where you're making your own Jurassic Park). There's a kickstarter right now for a game called Roll and Rome, that's an asymmetrical R&W with a community board. (To be fair Roll and Rome seems to be a Euro game masquerading as a R&W, but it's not a bad way to make a resource management heavy euro a bit cheaper by keeping track of it on your erasable player board). Welcome to... is decent, and while I haven't played any of the spin-offs, they look a touch more thematic.

I'm with you on On Tour. I'm glad I backed the KS for that one.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Played Roam last night, new game by Ryan Laukat.
Really nice, laid back puzzley game for 2-4, laying out patterns on a changing map. I like that it's in the same world as Above & Below and Islebound, charming throughout.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
If I might ask, what Roll and Writes have you played (beyond Quixx and Dice Stars)?
R&Ws tend to be light, but there have been moves recently to make heavier ones. Dino World is pretty good (It's a R&W where you're making your own Jurassic Park). There's a kickstarter right now for a game called Roll and Rome, that's an asymmetrical R&W with a community board. (To be fair Roll and Rome seems to be a Euro game masquerading as a R&W, but it's not a bad way to make a resource management heavy euro a bit cheaper by keeping track of it on your erasable player board). Welcome to... is decent, and while I haven't played any of the spin-offs, they look a touch more thematic.

I'm with you on On Tour. I'm glad I backed the KS for that one.
Just those two prior to On Tour. I'll look into Dino World, because I'm always down for more dino-themed games (though some that's don't involve park-building would be nice, because that seems to be what most recent ones are about and what I now own a lot of).

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Played a game of Mansions of Madness last night after grabbing it on clearance at Target. We had a good time, I barely won, and my wife went insane then got killed. I'm glad I got it for 50% off because I really don't care for the the monster miniatures in this game and probably will never use them again. They don't stay on their bases, the bases are huge and take up too much space on the already crowded board, and you can't even see the numbers very well. We pretty quickly decided to just use the monster tiles instead of the miniatures.

Even though there are some significant differences between this game and Lord of the Rings, having played that one already made getting into this game much easier.
Everyone I know with a copy of MoM has boxed the monster minis in favour of the tiles. I use the current minis for painting practice.

From what little I have seen of the new expansion releasing this month or next, the monster minis have been significantly improved though. The quality is above and beyond what we have been given thus far. I hope the new moulds for the reprint of the Core game are on par to avoid a clash of styles.