• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
Think my Street Masters pledge is at the local delivery office for collection.

First big Kickstarter I did and I'm still really excited about playing it.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

That game looks so good, please post impressions once you've played

I missed the KS for that one but got in on altar quest. the last thing I needed was more fantasy games but the deck system seemed too neat to pass up again

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I received my GeekUp Bit Set for Quacks of Quedlinburg today.

These new chips were kind of expensive, but they are so worth it!!! The colors are great, and they feel so much better than the cardboard chips that are included with the base game. I had some cardboard chips that were beginning to be heavily worn, especially the white ones. I'm not sure how many more games they could have lasted.

If you have Quacks of Quedlinburg in your collection I highly recommend upgrading with these!

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Vasel's Tainted Grail review has dropped. Sounds good!
I wish Tom had talked more about his impressions of the card play and what kind of decisions a player faces - i.e. is it a simple puzzle to maximize damage/diplomacy and minimize incoming damage (if that's the case, decisions would seem pretty light), or are there push your luck elements when choosing to play or withhold from playing a card? Also, if that'd remain fun 30+ hours later.

Hopefully more reviews hit in the coming months with a deeper evaluation of gameplay.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Tom had talked more about his impressions of the card play and what kind of decisions a player faces - i.e. is it a simple puzzle to maximize damage/diplomacy and minimize incoming damage (if that's the case, decisions would seem pretty light), or are there push your luck elements when choosing to play or withhold from playing a card? Also, if that'd remain fun 30+ hours later.

Hopefully more reviews hit in the coming months with a deeper evaluation of gameplay.
Just based on that elk example (and him saying that it is one of the easiest encounters in the game), it appears that you're going to be playing cards with a balance towards damage and protection. Considering that damage makes you worse at everything else by lowering the max points available in energy and terror limit, it would seem this game is focused more on survival than just finding the best damage combos. That was my impresssion from watching, anyway.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Finally had an opportunity to play Root with 2 of us first timers and 2 second time players. I played as the Woodland Alliance (guerillas) and was not aggressive enough in spreading my sympathy to eventually perform big revolts and wipe out large swathes of enemy forces. I got scared early when I realized they could simply attack my sympathy tokens and remove them, although it cost them a card. I should have been spreading aggressively so they would not be able to squash my rebellion everywhere. The vagabond eventually won and the blue birds came in 2nd. The vagabond was quite far ahead by the time everyone realized we needed to be attacking it and damaging items earlier.

Good game. I love how interactive and combative it is. I've played a bit of Scythe recently which is similar and in that game if you attack 3 times total it would be considered a lot. In Root you're attacking almost every turn it seems. It's definitely a game I would prefer to play with the same group and perhaps the same faction at least a few times in a row because there is a bit of a learning curve to not only your own capabilities but also your opponent's.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in Australia and I also have a Street Masters pledge waiting at the Post Office for collection. I'll be picking it up after work this morning. I can't wait, I just hope the boxes aren't too heavy.

Oct 25, 2017
I received my GeekUp Bit Set for Quacks of Quedlinburg today.

These new chips were kind of expensive, but they are so worth it!!! The colors are great, and they feel so much better than the cardboard chips that are included with the base game. I had some cardboard chips that were beginning to be heavily worn, especially the white ones. I'm not sure how many more games they could have lasted.

If you have Quacks of Quedlinburg in your collection I highly recommend upgrading with these!

They are incredible!! I bought the expansion ones too but my expansion is no where to be found . Mini mart has no info on it. It was at a local store 2 weeks ago. I assumed that meant minimart would be getting it ASAP but here we are 16 days later and nothin. Oh well
source.gif

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
They are incredible!! I bought the expansion ones too but my expansion is no where to be found . Mini mart has no info on it. It was at a local store 2 weeks ago. I assumed that meant minimart would be getting it ASAP but here we are 16 days later and nothin. Oh well
source.gif

Even if a few copies are already out, I heard somewhere that the wider release of the expansion has been delayed. I'm not sure exactly why. I hope you'll receive your copy soon!

Please post impressions when you do! I'm really wondering if this expansion is actually a worthy addition to the base game.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017

I missed the KS for that one but got in on altar quest. the last thing I needed was more fantasy games but the deck system seemed too neat to pass up again

It's here and there is a hell of a lot of it. Need to see how much I can compress everything down but not sure if I can without treating the minis with contempt 😂

Oct 25, 2017
Even if a few copies are already out, I heard somewhere that the wider release of the expansion has been delayed. I'm not sure exactly why. I hope you'll receive your copy soon!

Please post impressions when you do! I'm really wondering if this expansion is actually a worthy addition to the base game.

will do!
I'm in no huge rush as the base game is just fine. Mostly just want 5th player

my pret a porter finally came!

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Got Dune, God of War, and Quirky Circuits today. My copy of Nanny Narking also got delivered.

Dune seems so great! But because of the high player count requirement (especially if you want the best experience), I know that if I buy it I would only get the chance to play it once... maybe twice if I'm lucky. So I decided to skip it, unfortunately.

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
Went to Essen on Thursday and held myself back this year.

Cartographer is an amazing roll&write! Me and my gf love Railroad ink, welcome to, Ganz schön clever, qwixx etc. And this is right up our alley! Some decisions get really tough. I can't recommend this enough.

We also won Fuji and Between two castles at the Feuerland booth where you could roll a 20-sided die and win a game (20 being Wingspan, Odin and scythe). We're absolutely in love with castles! It's a relaxing, cooperative experience and fits 2 players just fine. Glad we "lost" on the dice throw.

Also grabbed Fox in the forest but we couldn't really get into it so far.

Also visited Fryxgames for sweet Duallayer TfM plasterboards, sleeves and some spare cubes.

pre-ordered the revision of Burgundy so I didn't buy it in Essen. Pretty good Spiel overall, although i didn't buy much

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ok finally gonna give my Spiel impressions. I was shocked how full it was already on thursday this year.

Cities Skylines: Didn't really grab me. It's an interesting idea but feels too puzzle and I don't like how the end is just counting up points and seeing how well you did.

Ishtar: Bought this one immediately after one play. This game is just super easy to learn, has a nice flow to it and even on my first game I could see how you can go for different strategies to win.

Last Bastion: Bought this one as well. Great coop game in which you can fight some monsters without it being too complicated. Never played Ghost Stories so I can not comment on the changes.

Paris La Cité de la Lumière: Great two player game. Takes the puzzle parts of Patchwork and uses them to create a game with a clever scoring mechanism of having to touch lights. Also has special abilities. I really like how you at first also build the board with your opponent. Bought this one as well.

1942 USS Yorktown: The only gave an explanation and didn't let people play for some reason. It seemed a bit fiddle for a coop that is timed.

Babylonia: Another great Knizia abstract strategy game. Reminded me of Samurai with the addition of trying to build connections with all your pieces. Just seemed a bit pricey for what was in the box, so I didn't get it for now.

Wayfinders: Picked this up after trying it. The game of chicken of when to take your resources to then optimize your coverage of the map is really fun.

On the Underground London/Berlin: It's ok. It's not a bad game, but mathing out the way of the passengers takes up way too much time. I felt like I was actually only playing half of the game.

Ninja Academy: Very small game by Iello my friend picked up. It's like a mini game collection of bluffing and dexterity games using a small amount of wooden pieces and the game box itself. Quite fun and I can see this being a hit at parties when everyone had a few drinks.

Also picked up Watergate, but didn't get to play that yet.

Overall I think the quality of games this year was very high. I didn't get I to all the heavier games at all and I know there were some bangers. I just can't get those games to the table these days, so spending so much money on a game like Black Angel is just not worth it.

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I have Marvel Champions arriving tomorrow but I've also been looking into Aeon's End. I know there have been quite a few KS projects, but am I missing much if I buy retail over waiting for their next KS? I'm currently circling a New Age pledge from someone in a local board game group, as well as a copy of Legacy. I know that New Age spoils the Legacy's story, so ideally I want to play it first.

Oct 25, 2017
Played paranormal detective last night. Was a huge hit. It's a party game but a nice change from the usual type.

highly recommend, great price too

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I have Marvel Champions arriving tomorrow but I've also been looking into Aeon's End. I know there have been quite a few KS projects, but am I missing much if I buy retail over waiting for their next KS? I'm currently circling a New Age pledge from someone in a local board game group, as well as a copy of Legacy. I know that New Age spoils the Legacy's story, so ideally I want to play it first.
I don't think you really miss out on anything going retail. There are promos and expansions that come with the pledges, but aside from the promos, those are generally available at retail if you want them. There's so much content in the base games and standalone expansions that the expansions mostly feel extraneous anyway.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I would say for most deckbuilders (Dominion, Legendary, Star/Hero Realms, Aeon's End, etc) the base game and 1-2 random expansions are probably more then enough content to last the average player their entire life. Obviously milage will vary by group/player/game but I think this is true for 90% of players.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Here are my October purchases - a few of them haven't arrived yet.

Pandemic Contagion - This was 60% off and Pandemic is one of my favourite games, I don't know a whole lot about it, but for $10 I'm happy to add it to my collection. I've only played the original Pandemic, I have Pandemic Legacy S1, but I think I'm actually going to wait till my kids grow up to play that with them. :)

pic2037506.png

Undaunted: Normandy - WOW, this game is really fun. I'm not a wargamer at all, though I enjoy the history of the period. This isn't really like a simulation of a wargame, its more like a lite infantry only wargame with a deck building element. You start with a small deck of cards, you draw 4 cards, one is used as initiative to determine who goes first, and the other 3 cards are the various infantry you can command. Each infantry type have different commands on them like Attack, Suppress, Control a tile etc. What I LOVE most about this game and perhaps the most underrated aspect is that there's not a whole lot of words in the game (no language barrier), and I've been playing with my son who just turned 4 and he understands pretty much everything after the first two games. I still make many of the decisions but he is enjoying calling out commands and playing along. If you want something similar to Memoir 44, I recommend Undaunted: Normandy.

pic4602347.jpg

Hellapagos - I love Survivor (the reality TV show). I had never heard of this game until a hot deal for it got posted on BGG forums, so I figured why not? In this game, its semi cooperative - the group needs to collect food, water and wood to build a raft to get off the island. If they don't have enough resources to pay at the end of the round, they have to vote off one of the members. As many of my group have watched survivor, I'm sure it'll be fine to 'vote' people off. There's even a variant where the voted off members still get to cast their vote (ala Survivor).

pic3484991.jpg

The Lost Expedition - I picked this one up for about $10, and I'm always up for more solo games. I think this will be an even better game with the expansion, as that adds 4 extra modules that mixes things up even more.

pic3339655.jpg

Seafall - I just have the one problem with this game - and that is I mostly play 2 player games with my brother so I don't know how I'll get this to the table. Having to wait for a third player all the time for a legacy game would be problematic, so I might just have to play the 2 player variant. I hear there's some mixed reports about this game, but I haven't played any legacy games yet, so that format will be pretty fresh, plus the only other piratey game I have is an old Days of Wonder game called Pirate's Cove.

pic3571648.jpg

Warsaw: City of Ruins - One of my best friends wife is Polish. She doesn't play many games, but she likes to join in when we have game nights. I think this one is going to WOW her. Warsaw looks like a gateway game to me, there's tile drafting, and laying the tiles down to form a 4x3 city, plus some buildings have special powers. Sounds easy enough. I think what I like about it is that there's so much theme in an easy euro game. I have Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Carcasonne but this one has so much more theme than those games, as there's many unique buildings from Warsaw the city itself.

pic4155728.jpg

Things that are still on my wishlist (not in any order) -

1. Flamme Rouge
2. Brass Birmingham
3. Blackout Hong Kong
4. Robinson Crusoe
5. All the Arkham Horror LCG stuff
6. Marvel Champions (at some point I'll get into it but I want to hold off at launch)
7. 1861/1867 kickstarter - still reading the rules

Games that I'm keeping an eye on / going to find out more on -

1. Maracaibo
2. Expedition to Newdale
3. Foothills
4. Other 18xx games
5. Barrage

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Yesssssssssss join the dark side.

You can still pre-order 18Cheesypecks and 18MEX from All Aboard Games. If you're feeling absolutely nuts you can buy 1817 as well if you have a spare 11 hours free and nearly $200 dollars.

Don't buy 1817, it'll destroy friendships

It's also worth grabbing 1830 as that's in print at the moment. I'd suggest 1889 but that is looking like it's now going to be a 6 month wait for a hand made copy- while, imo, it's possibly the best 18XX I've ever played- if not one of my top 3 favourite games. It's hard to justify buying that at such a high price sight unseen.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cities Skylines: Didn't really grab me. It's an interesting idea but feels too puzzle and I don't like how the end is just counting up points and seeing how well you did.
Did you find it too easy by any chance?

The KS promos are completely skippable. Now, bear in mind that usually the small mini-expansions are baked into the KS (so you would have to get New Age + The Ancients + Shattered Dreams for all the New Age content, + Into the Wild which was an add-on for the KS as well). Iirc, retail of all that might actually be cheaper if you take shipping into account.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017

Gameplay is nice and fast solo but I probably wouldn't want to play it with too many players. As there are so many enemies, stages and fighters, there is tons of replayability there. I've enjoyed what I've played so far but there is a hell of a lot of moving tokens onto and off cards.

I can see me getting a lot of use out of it as it's more fun than something like Zombiecide to me but also not overly complex.

Once I've got my mini storage sorted and grouped by faction then I'll be happier as it may all fit in the big box.

Final point is that I find the coloured rings fiddly to put on so that may motivate me to paint the minis soon!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you really miss out on anything going retail. There are promos and expansions that come with the pledges, but aside from the promos, those are generally available at retail if you want them. There's so much content in the base games and standalone expansions that the expansions mostly feel extraneous anyway.
I would say for most deckbuilders (Dominion, Legendary, Star/Hero Realms, Aeon's End, etc) the base game and 1-2 random expansions are probably more then enough content to last the average player their entire life. Obviously milage will vary by group/player/game but I think this is true for 90% of players.
Did you find it too easy by any chance?

The KS promos are completely skippable. Now, bear in mind that usually the small mini-expansions are baked into the KS (so you would have to get New Age + The Ancients + Shattered Dreams for all the New Age content, + Into the Wild which was an add-on for the KS as well). Iirc, retail of all that might actually be cheaper if you take shipping into account.
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on Aeon's End. I won't bother chasing down promos.

I'm leaning heavily towards just buying Aeon's End: Legacy and New Age as they are tied together narratively. I'm also keen to experience a legacy style board game that can be played solo. Will there be sufficient content between these two stand-alone boxes given their unique approaches to the standard Aeon's End gameplay?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yesssssssssss join the dark side.

You can still pre-order 18Cheesypecks and 18MEX from All Aboard Games. If you're feeling absolutely nuts you can buy 1817 as well if you have a spare 11 hours free and nearly $200 dollars.

Don't buy 1817, it'll destroy friendships

It's also worth grabbing 1830 as that's in print at the moment. I'd suggest 1889 but that is looking like it's now going to be a 6 month wait for a hand made copy- while, imo, it's possibly the best 18XX I've ever played- if not one of my top 3 favourite games. It's hard to justify buying that at such a high price sight unseen.

Haha, slow down! So here's the plan - I'll probably get 1861/1867 Kickstarter, I'm still reading the rules, but it looks ok for now. It's hard to tell how it plays from the rules alone. The only issue is it's 3 player and mostly play 2 with my brother.

There's also 1830 and 1846 that I can get for about $65 each delivered from Amazon.

While I wait for 1861/1867 delivered, I thought about making my own print and plays. I saw Tets 1889 (is that the one in Japan?), and how well that turned out, so I think I want to try making my own. I live in Malaysia and most of the games I get are actually delivered to my home in Australia. So print and plays at least allow me to play right now rather than waiting for them. They take a long ass time to make, and the materials aren't cheap either, so I'd much rather buy them, but they can be a fun project.

As for those games from All Aboard Games, Ill check and see if they deliver to where I am, but I think they're already pretty expensive anyway, so I doubt I'll get them as my first 18xx.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quirky Circuits is really fun. Really easy to learn, and pretty hilarious to boot. My 13yo was crying from laughing so much at our poor roomba just spinning in a circle one turn. A co-op programming game wasn't something I knew I needed, but I'm really glad I picked this up. Interested to check out other bots and scenarios.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Haha, slow down! So here's the plan - I'll probably get 1861/1867 Kickstarter, I'm still reading the rules, but it looks ok for now. It's hard to tell how it plays from the rules alone. The only issue is it's 3 player and mostly play 2 with my brother.

There's also 1830 and 1846 that I can get for about $65 each delivered from Amazon.

While I wait for 1861/1867 delivered, I thought about making my own print and plays. I saw Tets 1889 (is that the one in Japan?), and how well that turned out, so I think I want to try making my own. I live in Malaysia and most of the games I get are actually delivered to my home in Australia. So print and plays at least allow me to play right now rather than waiting for them. They take a long ass time to make, and the materials aren't cheap either, so I'd much rather buy them, but they can be a fun project.

As for those games from All Aboard Games, Ill check and see if they deliver to where I am, but I think they're already pretty expensive anyway, so I doubt I'll get them as my first 18xx.

Don't forget that we play on TTS if you want to try any of them. I am almost always up for game.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget that we play on TTS if you want to try any of them. I am almost always up for game.

Yep, thanks Tet Ill keep it in mind. Timing mostly and kids of course. Also I work 6 days a week and am between two homes a lot so I can't get to my PC much and TTS. Also I sometimes see your posts asking for a game of it, but I'm at work. :S

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on Aeon's End. I won't bother chasing down promos.

I'm leaning heavily towards just buying Aeon's End: Legacy and New Age as they are tied together narratively. I'm also keen to experience a legacy style board game that can be played solo. Will there be sufficient content between these two stand-alone boxes given their unique approaches to the standard Aeon's End gameplay?
Legacy is a good way to start since it slowly introduces elements of the game. New Age is the sequel and adds a story Expedition, so if you want the narrative follow-up, that works (Into the Wilds mini-xpac adds a second story Expedition). From there, you'll see if you want more content (but the New Age randomized Expeditions benefit from having more content). Personally, I just had to own all the boss fights, the game's so good.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Look, you're either all in or you're not an 18XX'er! ;D

It's a good time to play these types of games, no so much for your wallet/purse however:

- 1861/67 are on KS and have no path to a retail release
- Everything on All Aboard is going to have a full production run and the cheapest it'll be for quite some time with delivery and tax/customs included.
- 1824 and 18CZ are hitting retail but you need to catch them just after the KS deliveries land.

I'll write this for you and anyone else who is interested in getting in to 18XX's. As I feel like it's something that will save me time in future as I can refer back to it and update it as and when it's needed. These are the games I'd suggest trying in order and their 'type':

There are really two common branches you'll first come in to contact with:
- Operational: These focus on dealing with and the maintenance of good companies and rail. There is less stock shenanigans and companies sometimes will be able to run successfully for the the entire game.
- Stocks/Shares: These are considerably more mean, if you like Food Chain Magnate, Wargames or Area Control games these are for you. You'll be scorching each others share prices and damaging each other financially- taking turns to kick each other down the stairs. You absolutely need to be able to have a laugh with these games as you absolutely will be taking chunks out of your friends.

- 1889 (Light S/S, 3-5 hrs)- If you can make a P&P, it's a derivative of 1830 so rules are fairly standard and there isn't any odd rules for trains. It's also fucking incredible and is now in my top 3 games of all time. It's simple but we can knock it out in three hours and given the choice I would play this over literally any other Euro.
- 18Chesapeake (Light S/S, 2-4 hrs apparently)- Built from the ground up as babys first 18XX, aimed to be the most approachable 18XX ever made.
- 1846 (Operational 3-5hrs)- Considered the 'euro' 18XX, introduces double jumps where as if you make twice as much money as your share price it double jumps. Shares are issued by the company so money goes back in to the coffers of the company and shares in the bank force the share price down. Considered non-standard so plays quite differently to other beginner 18XX games.
- 18MEX (Operational 3-5 hrs)- Ok now we take the training wheels off next step up- introduces a government railroad and more non standard rules.
- 1861/1867 (Operational 3-6 hrs)- MERGERS! Nationalisations! More weird stuff!
- 1830 (S/S knife fight 3-6 hrs)- This is so far down the list because it's savage- it's very much a stocks and shares 18XX so you will get punched in the face repeatedly by your opponents. This might not be suited to you. On top of that track is severely limited and punishing- nine times out of ten you'll want to build something but the track is already on the board.
- 18CZ/1824 (Operational 4+ hrs)- These are really getting in to the weeds now with multiple train types, company sizes and company acquisitions.
- 1817 (S/S financial hell 11+ hrs)- Worth mentioning as it's the cheapest it'll be on AAG at the moment, the big daddy of S/S 18XX games. A financial wargame- you short other peoples shares, you take loans and you dump companies a lot. Not for the faint of heart.

In summary I got in to 18XX games this year and I think Tet wasn't far behind. We can verify they are the most rewarding and punishing games you can possibly play. Sure they can be ugly as sin and appear incredibly intimidating- but if you take your time to dip your toes in the lake you'll find yourself swimming quickly enough.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Quirky Circuits is really fun. Really easy to learn, and pretty hilarious to boot. My 13yo was crying from laughing so much at our poor roomba just spinning in a circle one turn. A co-op programming game wasn't something I knew I needed, but I'm really glad I picked this up. Interested to check out other bots and scenarios.

I really want Quirky Circuits but I'm afraid it may be too complex and thus uninteresting to our 7 and half son. May pick this up a or so from now. Great to hear you all loved it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Quirky Circuits but I'm afraid it may be too complex and thus uninteresting to our 7 and half son. May pick this up a or so from now. Great to hear you all loved it.

I actually think that the early scenarios would probably be fine. They even recommend playing the cards face up with younger kids, and I can see how the game would still work as a fun time even doing that.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Look, you're either all in or you're not an 18XX'er! ;D

It's a good time to play these types of games, no so much for your wallet/purse however:

- 1861/67 are on KS and have no path to a retail release
- Everything on All Aboard is going to have a full production run and the cheapest it'll be for quite some time with delivery and tax/customs included.
- 1824 and 18CZ are hitting retail but you need to catch them just after the KS deliveries land.

I'll write this for you and anyone else who is interested in getting in to 18XX's. As I feel like it's something that will save me time in future as I can refer back to it and update it as and when it's needed. These are the games I'd suggest trying in order and their 'type':

There are really two common branches you'll first come in to contact with:
- Operational: These focus on dealing with and the maintenance of good companies and rail. There is less stock shenanigans and companies sometimes will be able to run successfully for the the entire game.
- Stocks/Shares: These are considerably more mean, if you like Food Chain Magnate, Wargames or Area Control games these are for you. You'll be scorching each others share prices and damaging each other financially- taking turns to kick each other down the stairs. You absolutely need to be able to have a laugh with these games as you absolutely will be taking chunks out of your friends.

- 1889 (Light S/S, 3-5 hrs)- If you can make a P&P, it's a derivative of 1830 so rules are fairly standard and there isn't any odd rules for trains. It's also fucking incredible and is now in my top 3 games of all time. It's simple but we can knock it out in three hours and given the choice I would play this over literally any other Euro.
- 18Chesapeake (Light S/S, 2-4 hrs apparently)- Built from the ground up as babys first 18XX, aimed to be the most approachable 18XX ever made.
- 18MEX (Operational 3-5 hrs)- Ok now we take the training wheels off next step up- introduces a government railroad and more non standard rules.
- 1861/1867 (Operational 3-6 hrs)- MERGERS! Nationalisations! More weird stuff!
- 1830 (S/S knife fight 3-6 hrs)- This is so far down the list because it's savage- it's very much a stocks and shares 18XX so you will get punched in the face repeatedly by your opponents. This might not be suited to you. On top of that track is severely limited and punishing- nine times out of ten you'll want to build something but the track is already on the board.
- 18CZ/1824 (Operational 4+ hrs)- These are really getting in to the weeds now with multiple train types, company sizes and company acquisitions.
- 1817 (S/S financial hell 11+ hrs)- Worth mentioning as it's the cheapest it'll be on AAG at the moment, the big daddy of S/S 18XX games. A financial wargame- you short other peoples shares, you take loans and you dump companies a lot. Not for the faint of heart.

In summary I got in to 18XX games this year and I think Tet wasn't far behind. We can verify they are the most rewarding and punishing games you can possibly play. Sure they can be ugly as sin and appear incredibly intimidating- but if you take your time to dip your toes in the lake you'll find yourself swimming quickly enough.

I can't add much more than this. I am only a few months in playing but like you, 1889 is certainly one of the best games I have yet played. All my coworkers that I taught absolutely love it as well. It is a print and playable game, files are available on the internet for free. I of course paid for mine to be made for me but I don't regret it one bit.

It really is its own genre. The ones I have played have ranged from fairly different to "I dont even know how to play this game" lol. I would like to add that 1846 is often though to be a good starter game. It is the most Euro like 18XX and possibly a good transition point for eurogamers.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
It really is its own genre. The ones I have played have ranged from fairly different to "I dont even know how to play this game" lol. I would like to add that 1846 is often though to be a good starter game. It is the most Euro like 18XX and possibly a good transition point for eurogamers.

Shit I forgot about that one, I own it too! Added on. :)

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Essen Spiel was a lot of fun, and huge! Here's my modest haul: (Aquatica, Clank Legacy, King's Dilemma and the new version of Love Letter)

essen-haul.jpg

We played 2 games of Clank Legacy, which is very good so far. Nice legacy elements and well-written, funny story elements. Aquatica reminds me of Century: Spice Road with some extra mechanics. Enjoyed it a lot. Haven't tried King's Dilemma yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I know that On Tour and QE has gotten some love here in the past, so for those interested in getting them, you can get them for 10% at BoardGameTables.com when you use the code MOVING-10 at checkout from now until 11:59pm Central Time Tuesday.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, wavering on Marvel Champions....that fact that it's not narrative as Arkham Horror: LCG is making me lean on the side of passing on it. Plus, another LCG is jut another money sink (thankfully spread over a long time). But on the other hand I love Marvel and actually don't own a single Marvel game (not a fan Legendary for instance, but love SOTM which is Marvel in everything but name). I imagine it's going to be super popular so FFG should keep in stock for a long while.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like I can skip some sets and not feel locked into the cycle like Arkham. The more casual approach might mean getting my wife and others to play and could be a stepping stone into Arkham too.