• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, wavering on Marvel Champions....that fact that it's not narrative as Arkham Horror: LCG is making me lean on the side of passing on it. Plus, another LCG is jut another money sink (thankfully spread over a long time). But on the other hand I love Marvel and actually don't own a single Marvel game (not a fan Legendary for instance, but love SOTM which is Marvel in everything but name). I imagine it's going to be super popular so FFG should keep in stock for a long while.

I think the appeal is pretty different, so that people potentially have space for both. The draw here is the characters, and playing through the scenarios with different combinations of them. It's definitely more pickup and play than Arkham.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I think the appeal is pretty different, so that people potentially have space for both. The draw here is the characters, and playing through the scenarios with different combinations of them. It's definitely more pickup and play than Arkham.

Yeah, that could certainly be the case and I can see where it will be easier to get to the table than Arkham LCG. Deck construction is not a strong suit of mine, so I'll have to rely on websites for that kind of stuff I do decide to plunge into it. Also, an I have no reason to think this (other than for accessability reasons) but I think MC might be easier to play/win.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that could certainly be the case and I can see where it will be easier to get to the table than Arkham LCG. Deck construction is not a strong suit of mine, so I'll have to rely on websites for that kind of stuff I do decide to plunge into it. Also, an I have no reason to think this (other than for accessability reasons) but I think MC might be easier to play/win.

I'd assume the base difficulty will be generally easier than Arkham, mostly because the IP has a much wider general appeal. There are apparently a few ways to increase difficulty in the game, though, for players that want more challenge.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
So as we near the holidays, I am looking for some feedback in terms of which board games are family friendly for people that don't play board games often. I don't have the time nor the budget for all of these listed below. I am looking for stuff that isn't too too complicated. Tiny Epic Zombies is the most complicated game that has seen success. Short play sessions are always appreciated as well. King of Tokyo, Pandemic, Risk, and Ticket to Ride are the favorites so take that information as you will. If you have any thoughts on any of the games below or if you have other recommendations I am all ears.

• High Society
  • Forbidden Desert (or Island, but the desert theme seems neater)
  • Sub Terra
  • The Bloody Inn
  • Monster Slaughter
  • Horrified
  • Jaws
  • It: Evil Below
  • Zombicide: Black Plague
  • Azul
  • Sagrada
  • Reef

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as we near the holidays, I am looking for some feedback in terms of which board games are family friendly for people that don't play board games often. I don't have the time nor the budget for all of these listed below. I am looking for stuff that isn't too too complicated. Tiny Epic Zombies is the most complicated game that has seen success. Short play sessions are always appreciated as well. King of Tokyo, Pandemic, Risk, and Ticket to Ride are the favorites so take that information as you will. If you have any thoughts on any of the games below or if you have other recommendations I am all ears.

• High Society
  • Sub Terra
  • The Bloody Inn
  • Monster Slaughter
  • Horrified
  • Jaws
  • Azul
  • Sagrada
  • Reef
I can absolutely recommend High Society. Ridiculously easy to teach (Seriously, bid for cards valued 1-10, most points wins, BUT least money left is disqualified. Oh yeah, and you have to bid NOT to take negative effect cards - hope you still have money left!) It's been a hit with non-boardgamers for me. It showcases Reiner Knizia's mastery of elegant rules. The new release's art is great to look at, too.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Look, you're either all in or you're not an 18XX'er! ;D

It's a good time to play these types of games, no so much for your wallet/purse however:

- 1861/67 are on KS and have no path to a retail release
- Everything on All Aboard is going to have a full production run and the cheapest it'll be for quite some time with delivery and tax/customs included.
- 1824 and 18CZ are hitting retail but you need to catch them just after the KS deliveries land.

I'll write this for you and anyone else who is interested in getting in to 18XX's. As I feel like it's something that will save me time in future as I can refer back to it and update it as and when it's needed. These are the games I'd suggest trying in order and their 'type':

There are really two common branches you'll first come in to contact with:
- Operational: These focus on dealing with and the maintenance of good companies and rail. There is less stock shenanigans and companies sometimes will be able to run successfully for the the entire game.
- Stocks/Shares: These are considerably more mean, if you like Food Chain Magnate, Wargames or Area Control games these are for you. You'll be scorching each others share prices and damaging each other financially- taking turns to kick each other down the stairs. You absolutely need to be able to have a laugh with these games as you absolutely will be taking chunks out of your friends.

- 1889 (Light S/S, 3-5 hrs)- If you can make a P&P, it's a derivative of 1830 so rules are fairly standard and there isn't any odd rules for trains. It's also fucking incredible and is now in my top 3 games of all time. It's simple but we can knock it out in three hours and given the choice I would play this over literally any other Euro.
- 18Chesapeake (Light S/S, 2-4 hrs apparently)- Built from the ground up as babys first 18XX, aimed to be the most approachable 18XX ever made.
- 1846 (Operational 3-5hrs)- Considered the 'euro' 18XX, introduces double jumps where as if you make twice as much money as your share price it double jumps. Shares are issued by the company so money goes back in to the coffers of the company and shares in the bank force the share price down. Considered non-standard so plays quite differently to other beginner 18XX games.
- 18MEX (Operational 3-5 hrs)- Ok now we take the training wheels off next step up- introduces a government railroad and more non standard rules.
- 1861/1867 (Operational 3-6 hrs)- MERGERS! Nationalisations! More weird stuff!
- 1830 (S/S knife fight 3-6 hrs)- This is so far down the list because it's savage- it's very much a stocks and shares 18XX so you will get punched in the face repeatedly by your opponents. This might not be suited to you. On top of that track is severely limited and punishing- nine times out of ten you'll want to build something but the track is already on the board.
- 18CZ/1824 (Operational 4+ hrs)- These are really getting in to the weeds now with multiple train types, company sizes and company acquisitions.
- 1817 (S/S financial hell 11+ hrs)- Worth mentioning as it's the cheapest it'll be on AAG at the moment, the big daddy of S/S 18XX games. A financial wargame- you short other peoples shares, you take loans and you dump companies a lot. Not for the faint of heart.

In summary I got in to 18XX games this year and I think Tet wasn't far behind. We can verify they are the most rewarding and punishing games you can possibly play. Sure they can be ugly as sin and appear incredibly intimidating- but if you take your time to dip your toes in the lake you'll find yourself swimming quickly enough.

This is why there needs to be a 'like' or 'thumbs up' button for posts. Amazing post, great info for me! I think i would like both Operational and Stocks/Shares style games. I'll probably start with making the 1889 game, get 1861/1867 and if I like 1889 maybe get 1830 (isn't this the one by Francis Tresham) and 1846. And also look into 1817 - your description makes it sound bonkers!

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

• High Society
  • Sub Terra
  • The Bloody Inn
  • Monster Slaughter
  • Horrified
  • Jaws
  • Azul
  • Sagrada
  • Reef

I recommend Splendor, though you don't have that on your list. I think its $20 on Amazon right now, and its real easy to get into, but still a lot of tough choices on your turn.

The only one I have on your list is Azul, but I haven't played it yet. Its always a best seller on Amazon so I'm sure it'll be great.

Other games for consideration -

7 Wonders
Barenpark
For Sale
Kingdomino
Railways of the World (my favourite game - really easy to play, and great for board game days, as its big and grand, needs a big table though.)

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

• High Society
  • Sub Terra
  • The Bloody Inn
  • Monster Slaughter
  • Horrified
  • Jaws
  • Azul
  • Sagrada
  • Reef

From your list, I would recommend Horrified, Azul, and High Society. Especially Azul (the first one). To me it's one of the best family friendly game. It's fun, easy to teach and play, and has enough depth that you'll probably want to play it often.

Last edited:

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
tabletop-tiles.jpg

My Wyrmwood tabletop tiles arrived today! Lovely quality and the magnets work really well to snap them together. I have one with a leather bottom that functions as a small dice rolling tray, which works well enough for a few dice if you don't roll too hard. The other ones are all component holders, with coasters on the back. I was hoping I could fit all the ingredients from Quacks in them, but that was before I got the upgraded bits. Still, these will be useful for lots of different games, and they're stackable when they're not in use. I got one of the cheapest wood options, but they still look and feel very nice.

Oct 25, 2017
tabletop-tiles.jpg

My Wyrmwood tabletop tiles arrived today! Lovely quality and the magnets work really well to snap them together. I have one with a leather bottom that functions as a small dice rolling tray, which works well enough for a few dice if you don't roll too hard. The other ones are all component holders, with coasters on the back. I was hoping I could fit all the ingredients from Quacks in them, but that was before I got the upgraded bits. Still, these will be useful for lots of different games, and they're stackable when they're not in use. I got one of the cheapest wood options, but they still look and feel very nice.
Those are beautiful and so neat

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
tabletop-tiles.jpg

Looks good. I ordered from their site, but since I didn't back their kickstarter I'll have to wait until June for my delivery. Only ordered 5 tiles since they're not cheap.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Hey board gamers of Era, new here! Big board gaming fan ever since I was a little girl, started when I was 8 so going on 27 years now! Mainly into euro games but I enjoy a bit of everything! Gaia Project, Die Macher, Brass, Puerto Rico and TI/Eclipse are my favorites. Glad to know there's a healthy BG community here on Era.

Looks good. I ordered from their site, but since I didn't back their kickstarter I'll have to wait until June for my delivery. Only ordered 5 tiles since they're not cheap.

Ikea has some really cheap cork coasters that are fantastic low cost alternatives if you're looking for some more:
IKEA-365-Coaster-cork-4-pack.png

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Hey board gamers of Era, new here! Big board gaming fan ever since I was a little girl, started when I was 8 so going on 27 years now! Mainly into euro games but I enjoy a bit of everything! Gaia Project, Die Macher, Brass, Puerto Rico and TI/Eclipse are my favorites. Glad to know there's a healthy BG community here on Era.

Gaia Project is such a perfect game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I know, right? I thought Terra Mystica was already nearly perfect but I didn't expect them to manage to improve upon it to such an extent. The game is essentially flawless!

My first time playing took forever and we did a few things wrong but man, I love it at any player count by 3 seems to be the best for me. Not too long and more of the map being used for those power effects.

Terra has some expansions, I wonder if there ever will be one for Gaia Project but I don't think it really needs them.

Someday my copy of TI4 will be played. Don't know if I'm ready for that. Not playing my own copy is also the reason I won't be bothering with Europa Universalis.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
My first time playing took forever and we did a few things wrong but man, I love it at any player count by 3 seems to be the best for me. Not too long and more of the map being used for those power effects.

Terra has some expansions, I wonder if there ever will be one for Gaia Project but I don't think it really needs them.

Someday my copy of TI4 will be played. Don't know if I'm ready for that. Not playing my own copy is also the reason I won't be bothering with Europa Universalis.
Judging by the TM expansions, it'll be a while before we see GP expanded but it'll happen. I preffer it this way, so a long enough amount of time has passed for the devs to figure out what needs to/can be added/changed! But I agree that it doesn't really need any expansions, much like TM (aside from the passing order board which you can just add to the base game without even getting the expansion anyway).

TI can be troublesome... games can last as "little" as 6 hours but I've had games go on for 15~16 hours (meal breaks included) before with the longest ever game I played lasting for slightly over 19 hours (meal breaks also included). I love it to death and always make sure to make at least two or three matches happen per year but it can be a grueling experience sometimes. Good luck teaching the game to your fellow players! :D

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Ikea has some really cheap cork coasters that are fantastic low cost alternatives if you're looking for some more:
IKEA-365-Coaster-cork-4-pack.png

Oh, that's a neat tip!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Judging by the TM expansions, it'll be a while before we see GP expanded but it'll happen. I preffer it this way, so a long enough amount of time has passed for the devs to figure out what needs to/can be added/changed! But I agree that it doesn't really need any expansions, much like TM (aside from the passing order board which you can just add to the base game without even getting the expansion anyway).

TI can be troublesome... games can last as "little" as 6 hours but I've had games go on for 15~16 hours (meal breaks included) before with the longest ever game I played lasting for slightly over 19 hours (meal breaks also included). I love it to death and always make sure to make at least two or three matches happen per year but it can be a grueling experience sometimes. Good luck teaching the game to your fellow players! :D

Jesus!

I have one friend who I play everything with. She'd try it but honestly it's something I'd rather do with the max player count. ive played it twice but it was really more of a learning game at the time. Also the person showing me wasn't the best at teaching.

I also own War of the Ring which I really wanna try playing some day. Now that's going to take me time. Ive been trying it alone in order to better understand it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

• High Society
  • Sub Terra
  • The Bloody Inn
  • Monster Slaughter
  • Horrified
  • Jaws
  • Azul
  • Sagrada
  • Reef

Horrified is easily my family's "game of the year". We have played it 20ish times in the past 2 months. This included a day where we played many games over 4hrs in a single sitting.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm still slowing moving through Street Masters and organising everything. I've finished sorting out the core box, Aftershock expansion and associated stretch goals. I haven't opened the other expansions or Redemption packs yet, at least other than to make sure everything is there and not damaged. There is honestly so much content that I've been thinking I might actually sell the smaller expansions and Redemption packs. It is going to take a long time to experience even a small percentage of the content across the core, Aftershock and stretch goals.

As for other purchases, Marvel Champions: The Card Game arrived yesterday and I'm expecting my Nemesis Intruder (All-in) pledge on Tuesday pending any delays caused by the Public Holiday. Cthulhu: Death May Die and Deep Madness: Faces of the Sphere are also not far behind judging by their recent Kickstarter updates. I'm in Australia for those wondering.

Last edited:

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
So I'm still slowing moving through Street Masters and organising everything. I've finished sorting out the core box, Aftershock expansion and associated stretch goals. I haven't opened the other expansions or Redemption packs yet, at least other than to make sure everything is there and not damaged. There is honestly so much content that I've been thinking I might actually sell the smaller expansions and Redemption packs. It is going to take a long time to experience even a small percentage of the content across the core, Aftershock and stretch goals.

EIKBjQsVUAAo6bZ

Marvel Champions: The Card Game arrived yesterday and I'm expecting my Nemesis Intruder (All-in) pledge on Tuesday pending any delays caused by the Public Holiday. Cthulhu: Death May Die and Deep Madness: Faces of the Sphere are also not far behind judging by their recent Kickstarter updates. I'm in Australia for those wondering.

If all the Street Masters stuff truly fits in the Aftershock big box then I'll be happy with all the stuff.
What I am not a fan of is having a bunch of separate boxes for one game and then busting them out for game night and polling the group on which ones we're going to include.
At least with Street Masters it's super easy to pick a stage, enemy, and then your fighters and go, no matter how much stuff you've got, setup is a breeze.

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna preorder some stuff for the rest of the year. Anyone got a good release list? It's so hard to find when stuff comes out. I'd love to just go down a list With box art on what's coming between now and end of the year to see what grabs me

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
ypu9dGK.jpg

Games That I Said Farewell To in 2019:

I thought I'd try something different from the endless pickup posts and talk about games I sold or traded. Hope they found a good home!

pic750583.jpg

Troyes

pic2625794.jpg

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

pic3747956.png

Tokaido

pic381221.jpg

Tigris & Euphrates

pic3764168.jpg

Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn

pic612591.jpg

Rattus

pic3672901.png

Kingdomino + Queendomino

pic2270442.jpg

Patchwork

pic4388011.jpg

Onitama

pic4783831.png

Machi Koro

pic906495.jpg

Lord of the Rings LCG

pic1873539.jpg

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy

pic1152359.jpg

Kingdom Builder

pic2278942.jpg

Keyflower

pic840712.jpg

Imperial

pic3025051.jpg

Hostage Negotiator

pic4177569.jpg

Holding On

pic2058787.jpg

Greenland

pic1079512.png

Glory to Rome

pic1129370.jpg

Flash Point

pic1681453.jpg

Expedition Northwest Passage

pic3578008.png

Ex Libris

pic1160506.jpg

Eminent Domain

pic2906832.jpg

Dead of Winter: The Long Night

pic1723711.jpg

Cuba Libre

pic18388.jpg

Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers

pic4095180.jpg

Bios: Megafauna

pic3741716.jpg

Battle for Rokugan

pic2252678.jpg

Antike II

pic1979099.jpg

Quo Vadis

pic2649434.png

Food Chain Magnate

pic4459753.jpg

Power Grid

pic1514252.jpg

Agricola All Creatures Big and Small

giphy.gif

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
ypu9dGK.jpg

Games That I Said Farewell To in 2019:

I thought I'd try something different from the endless pickup posts and talk about games I sold or traded. Hope they found a good home!

pic750583.jpg

Troyes

pic2625794.jpg

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

pic3747956.png

Tokaido

pic381221.jpg

Tigris & Euphrates

pic3764168.jpg

Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn

pic612591.jpg

Rattus

pic3672901.png

Kingdomino + Queendomino

pic2270442.jpg

Patchwork

pic4388011.jpg

Onitama

pic4783831.png

Machi Koro

pic906495.jpg

Lord of the Rings LCG

pic1873539.jpg

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy

pic1152359.jpg

Kingdom Builder

pic2278942.jpg

Keyflower

pic840712.jpg

Imperial

pic3025051.jpg

Hostage Negotiator

pic4177569.jpg

Holding On

pic2058787.jpg

Greenland

pic1079512.png

Glory to Rome

pic1129370.jpg

Flash Point

pic1681453.jpg

Expedition Northwest Passage

pic3578008.png

Ex Libris

pic1160506.jpg

Eminent Domain

pic2906832.jpg

Dead of Winter: The Long Night

pic1723711.jpg

Cuba Libre

pic18388.jpg

Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers

pic4095180.jpg

Bios: Megafauna

pic3741716.jpg

Battle for Rokugan

pic2252678.jpg

Antike II

pic1979099.jpg

Quo Vadis

pic2649434.png

Food Chain Magnate

pic4459753.jpg

Power Grid

pic1514252.jpg

Agricola All Creatures Big and Small

giphy.gif
I like this idea!

Was wondering if you would expand on why you decided to part with some of the games.

Specifically:
Warhammer Quest
LotR LCG
Battle For Rokugan

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea!

Was wondering if you would expand on why you decided to part with some of the games.

Specifically:
Warhammer Quest
LotR LCG
Battle For Rokugan

Oh yeah, I could go into specifics. It's not always because I dislike the games. Sometimes it's because a game is selling for a lot (like Glory to Rome), or I need the shelf space despite liking the game.

In the case of those games:

Warhammer Quest: I like this game more than its older cousin, Death Angel. Both are tough, but this game gives you more options and is just more entertaining. But FFG killed this particular version (relaunched as Heroes of Terrinoth) and it could have really used some expansions. I happened to have the two rare expansion characters, so it sold for a lot.

LotR LCG: I got it primarily for solo play, and to feed a strong LOTR hunger I got into last year. I bought four out of the 6(!) big box expansions needed to play a campaign of the LOTR books. It's a good game, but it works better if you two-hand it (use two decks and alternate between two hands). That alone is a little annoying. But it turned out to be way too hard for me. Unloaded it before they announced Marvel LCG, which might be more up my alley in terms of difficulty.

Battle for Rokugan: This one is pretty decent, IMO, but ultimately I could live without it. You want a lot of players for it (which I managed to play once), and it's got a lot of twists and turns while being very easy to play. This is a good 'wargame' for a more casual crowd, which is cool but not my current gaming situation. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the orientalism of L5R overall is pretty lame.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Haha

I actually LOVE Patchwork, it's an excellent game. The problem is, I got it as a gift and it seems that it was a bootleg copy from Amazon - the tiles just didn't fit together properly and it was hard to play. Avoid buying from Amazon! I'll catch up with this game somewhere down the line.

Machi Koro is a game that I like, but a little too long/imbalanced/mean for what it is. The fixes that they've come up with aren't perfect, either. I feel like that game was the best when it was new, no expansion stuff, and you used the Dominion-style card piles as the setup (as opposed to a random market). But people complained about a dominant strategy, it got "fixed", which broke other things, and so on. Sad, but I passed on it.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So hoping for some opinions on Wingspan. I have a copy on hold but am a little hesitant as I just got dinosaur island and my wife and I were really underwhelmed and I'm concerned that wingspan will seem really similar. Is Wingspan really as good as people say?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So I was always looking into LCG Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborne but never bought it. I know the game is canceled, but that won't get in my way to casually enjoy it with the pre-made decks. Got a fantastic deal at fantasywelt who sold the german core game for 13€ and both deluxe expansions for 6€. I am eager to try it out this weekend with my wife.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
So hoping for some opinions on Wingspan. I have a copy on hold but am a little hesitant as I just got dinosaur island and my wife and I were really underwhelmed and I'm concerned that wingspan will seem really similar. Is Wingspan really as good as people say?

I bought it but after a couple of plays I was done with. Ultimately shallow as a puddle- the is all show, no content. The cards are so similar once you've seen a few architypes you've seen them all. Then the game mostly plays out the same way after that- find a way to put out birds and as many eggs as possible for points. It's a SM game so it's got it's ardent supporters. If you were to slap another publishers label on it and it wouldn't receive half as many positive reviews.

Can't decide between Clank! and Clank! In! Space!

Seems like alot of people say that CIS is the better of the two?

I used to own both and I think Clank is the superior game- CiS over stays its welcome. The faction cards are generally terrible as well as you can't modify the river to generate cards that combo. It's then down to luck if they will be there on your turn.

Edit: Just realised how horribly negative this entire post is. Here is something positive:- I played Kanban last night. Kanban is awesome, go play it.

Last edited:

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I bought it but after a couple of plays I was done with. Ultimately shallow as a puddle- the is all show, no content. The cards are so similar once you've seen a few architypes you've seen them all. Then the game mostly plays out the same way after that- find a way to put out birds and as many eggs as possible for points. It's a SM game so it's got it's ardent supporters. If you were to slap another publishers label on it and it wouldn't receive half as many positive reviews.

I used to own both and I think Clank is the superior game- CiS over stays its welcome. The faction cards are generally terrible as well as you can't modify the river to generate cards that combo. It's then down to luck if they will be there on your turn.

Edit: Just realised how horribly negative this entire post is. Here is something positive:- I played Kanban last night. Kanban is awesome, go play it.

This was my fear with wingspan to be honest.Like I said we were really let down by dinosaur island for basically the same reasons.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You SOLD FOOD CHAIN?

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU.
Dude sold Imperial.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Lol, you know what? Tell the world if they want me to keep these games, then keep them relevant by talking about them and playing them (with me).

I love Imperial, but I didn't get it to the table for like 2 years. It's an 'ancient' game by some people's standards.

FCM, on the other hand, I fell out of love with. The milestones swing the game way too much.