• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
The Kickstarter Preview is live for Blacklist Games' next MDS Project, Hour of Need.

$35: 2-player stand-alone game
$65: 4-player core game
$109: 4-player core game and 2X 2-player stand-alone games (one of these is KS exclusive)

I'm in for the $109-tier, though most likely through a Group/Retail Pledge.

Yeah this needs to be the last game I back for a while. My wallet got wrecked over the last two months, but I've got to support the Sadler brothers. I am starting to wonder if the MDS games will ever start to feel a little samey, but it's super heroes, so I will take the risk.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Anyone know when cardboard caravan stuff will start shipping? Excited to get the Magnificent

Member of my BG group got 3 copies of Magnificent from Essen through cc (I believe that was the case at least, maybe it was a different service) delivered last friday. They were playing it last night at our weekly meet. I'm in Portugal, though, not sure how that helps you.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
The Kickstarter Preview is live for Blacklist Games' next MDS Project, Hour of Need.

$109: 4-player core game and 2X 2-player stand-alone games (one of these is KS exclusive)

I was tempted in the run up to this but have fallen in love with Marvel Champions since then, with my aftershock pledge and an upcoming altar quest pledge, I'm happy to pass on this one.

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel Champions is so good! Been playing it two handed solo with just the starter tutorial scenario and decks and now ready to explore the other characters. I love the puzzle of maximizing your card play every turn. Also love that there is no summoning sickness for allies and running through your deck is almost encouraged (there is a small penalty for reshuffling). Every turn though there is something your hero can do and that's exciting. In LOTR LCG there would rounds where I just didn't have the currency to play the cards in my hand or maybe I needed to save the currency for a bigger play next round. Marvel Champions is like use everything in your hand!

Oct 28, 2017

I wish i knew about this prior to Altar Quest because I would have backed this instead. As it stands now, I'm passing and may pick it up if I like the system well enough.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
109 seems pretty steep for the amount of miniatures included. Especially compared to a lot of other Kickstarters that are mini heavy.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
109 seems pretty steep for the amount of miniatures included. Especially compared to a lot of other Kickstarters that are mini heavy.
It does now, but keep in mind that will include Stretch Goals once the campaign has finished. Based on previous BlackList campaigns, there will be a lot of content added and the value will only increase from here.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
It does now, but keep in mind that will include Stretch Goals once the campaign has finished. Based on previous BlackList campaigns, there will be a lot of content added and the value will only increase from here.

There's a decent chance that it stalls out early because the value is not there, causing the value to never be there. Previously the value seemed better even before stretch goals.

I hope they get there, but for me this campaign just feels like it's missing something essential, not just value for money. Really enjoying my recently arrived 20kg box of Street Masters though. Excellent game, just a bit too much content (with everything sleeved) to handle storing and setting it up easily.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Played Root twice as the cats/orange. The person who owned the game won both times as the mice/green. The second game I declared rabbits dominance, people immediately stopped me but I became king maker. They didn't feel good about me letting them win so the result didn't change.

It's a fun and extremely cute game but a bit too conflicty and complicated for my taste. I still wanna try at least one other faction.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering why this group at my local gaming store had what looked like a final copy of 18Chesapeake week after week and always had the box cover propped up for display. Turns out it was the designer, Scott Petersen, and his friends. D'oh.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to decide what to do with Zombicide 2e. I've been planning on just getting the 1e upgrades but then I wonder if it's worth it to just get the 2e since it comes with all the 1e character cards anyway. I'd forgotten about it until this morning and time's getting short. I've a ton of 1e content and I doubt it would be worth much if I tried to sell it now

Steenbock

Nov 1, 2017
There's a decent chance that it stalls out early because the value is not there, causing the value to never be there. Previously the value seemed better even before stretch goals.

I hope they get there, but for me this campaign just feels like it's missing something essential, not just value for money. Really enjoying my recently arrived 20kg box of Street Masters though. Excellent game, just a bit too much content (with everything sleeved) to handle storing and setting it up easily.

I think it's a combination of the perceived lack of value (too many people view "tons 'o' minis" as an essential part of boardgame kickstarters), combined with bad timing. Marvel Champions is just now hitting stores, and offers a surprisingly similar sounding experience at first glance.

Both games let you mix and match a variety of components to make a variety of gameplay combinations. In both games task the heroes with attempting to defeat the primary villain who is trying to complete a scheme. And in both games, the villain can bring additional goons, minions and game effects into play to make life difficult for the heroes.

Granted, there are plenty of differences as well; more hero customization in MC, along with secret identities, more positional gameplay and villain/scheme variety in HoN, etc.. Still, there are some clear similarities, except one game uses already popular characters and is available now, while the tother one won't be out until next year. I just have to wonder if that's how some potential buyers are looking at it.

Personally, I think there's enough differences between them that any fan of superhero games will enjoy them both. I've already backed HoN; I have a lot of faith in the Sandler brothers, and this looks like it's combining all the best parts of Street Masters and Brook City, with some cool new twists thrown into the mix. And I just picked up Marvel Champions, and I'm having a blast with it. I think both of them will exist nicely in my collection.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I'll send more pencils. What are your favorites? I like Railroad Ink and Cartographers the most out of what I've played. It's a fascinating genre for me. I mostly play them solo.

In the past two weeks I've picked up: Kingdomino Duel, Kokoro: avenue of the kodama, Boomerang and Criss Cross.

Railroad Ink and Cartographers are on my wishlist. What I love is how quick these games are to play but how satisfying they are. I really feel like Boomerang in particular has earned a place in my top 10. It's so clever to mix card drafting and roll and write.

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
In the past two weeks I've picked up: Kingdomino Duel, Kokoro: avenue of the kodama, Boomerang and Criss Cross.

Railroad Ink and Cartographers are on my wishlist. What I love is how quick these games are to play but how satisfying they are. I really feel like Boomerang in particular has earned a place in my top 10. It's so clever to mix card drafting and roll and write.

Great to hear thoughts on Roll (or Flip) and Writes. I started a number of years back with Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. Picked up Railroad Ink about 6 months ago and love it. Just today I picked up Welcome To, and I was on the fence with Cartographers when I was there. I wish I had picked it up after checking out a few reviews after getting back from my FLGS. I thought the 'enemy' action where another player writes a monster into your board would be too much of a hindrance or annoyance, but it seems that mechanic isn't overbearing. I'll probably pick it up my next trip!

I'll take a look at Boomerang too!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a combination of the perceived lack of value (too many people view "tons 'o' minis" as an essential part of boardgame kickstarters), combined with bad timing. Marvel Champions is just now hitting stores, and offers a surprisingly similar sounding experience at first glance.

Both games let you mix and match a variety of components to make a variety of gameplay combinations. In both games task the heroes with attempting to defeat the primary villain who is trying to complete a scheme. And in both games, the villain can bring additional goons, minions and game effects into play to make life difficult for the heroes.

Granted, there are plenty of differences as well; more hero customization in MC, along with secret identities, more positional gameplay and villain/scheme variety in HoN, etc.. Still, there are some clear similarities, except one game uses already popular characters and is available now, while the tother one won't be out until next year. I just have to wonder if that's how some potential buyers are looking at it.

Personally, I think there's enough differences between them that any fan of superhero games will enjoy them both. I've already backed HoN; I have a lot of faith in the Sandler brothers, and this looks like it's combining all the best parts of Street Masters and Brook City, with some cool new twists thrown into the mix. And I just picked up Marvel Champions, and I'm having a blast with it. I think both of them will exist nicely in my collection.
This is a great write up. There are many similarities between Marvel Champions and Hour of Need. I debated whether having one made the other redundant myself, but as you concluded, both offer distinct experiences despite their broad similarities and could stand alongside each other in a collection.

What appeals to me most about Hour of Need is the ten round limit. You must discover and defeat the villain within that time frame, otherwise you lose. The shorter game length combined with the depth of customisation that comes with the Sadler Brothers' MDS games will see it hit the table more often than many other games in my collection.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll send more pencils. What are your favorites? I like Railroad Ink and Cartographers the most out of what I've played. It's a fascinating genre for me. I mostly play them solo.
How is Cartographers solo? I've been playing a lot of castles of burgundy dice game and I love it. Can now complete a game in about 10 minutes and it is great to pack along if I have wait at a office or auto shop or something.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
How is Cartographers solo? I've been playing a lot of castles of burgundy dice game and I love it. Can now complete a game in about 10 minutes and it is great to pack along if I have wait at a office or auto shop or something.

I think it is a lot of fun. It's mostly the same as playing with others but the solo game is a little less mean when the Ambush cards hit as your friends would probably pick a spot that is going to make you suffer a little more than the AI does. Still lots of fun.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

I've been anticipating this since they announced it way back. Surprisingly it's their next kickstarter considering they just did Zombicide 2nd edition.
I already did their Bloodborne kickstarter, so I hesitate to back another cmon game till that comes in, but I have always wanted to try a zombicide, but can't get past the edgy style of the rest of them. This one seems like it'll be more up my alley, and depending on how awful they are, and if the price can be kept under control (you really wouldn't think they'd do to zombicide games back to back that have very high all in pledge prices), I can see myself going in on it.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

I've been anticipating this since they announced it way back. Surprisingly it's their next kickstarter considering they just did Zombicide 2nd edition.
I already did their Bloodborne kickstarter, so I hesitate to back another cmon game till that comes in, but I have always wanted to try a zombicide, but can't get past the edgy style of the rest of them. This one seems like it'll be more up my alley, and depending on how awful they are, and if the price can be kept under control (you really wouldn't think they'd do to zombicide games back to back that have very high all in pledge prices), I can see myself going in on it.
Is this compatible with the Second Edition?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Is this compatible with the Second Edition?

No word at this time.

The 2.0 KS ended with quite a bang when it added Obama and Trump. The various board gaming/painting/zombicide Facebook groups I subscribe to couldn't be moderated fast or hard enough. It was beautiful chaos for awhile there as everyone traded insults and low blows!

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
No word at this time.

The 2.0 KS ended with quite a bang when it added Obama and Trump. The various board gaming/painting/zombicide Facebook groups I subscribe to couldn't be moderated fast or hard enough. It was beautiful chaos for awhile there as everyone traded insults and low blows!

So they went from exploiting FOMO to exploiting the fracturing of the political landscape in the US and the collapse of the american democratic system.

Cool.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
No word at this time.

Trump should have been one of the fatty zombies.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna try and find Marvel Champions on my lunch break. I wasnt too sure about the game at first considering I am not big into co-operative card games (I like PVP mostly), but after testing it out on TTS, I NEED it.

As long as my LGS isnt hiking up the price, I am gonna buy it locally.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Wow, don't hear much about Tapestry now. Is it an availability issue or quality? There is one unopened copy for sale for a about $35 off including taxes but I just picked up wingspan and am trying to watch my purchases.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, don't hear much about Tapestry now. Is it an availability issue or quality? There is one unopened copy for sale for a about $35 off including taxes but I just picked up wingspan and am trying to watch my purchases.
How much is it? I don't know the "retail cost"

I love tapestry and I did a 3 hour 5 player game last weekend and everyone had a blast

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I can only talk about my own experience, but judging by the frequency it hits the table since I got the game in September, it's going to be my most played game of 2019 by far. Absolutely brilliant game.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Well ended the week picking up both Tapestry and Wingspan for a good price. Wingspan was $65 CAD+tax and Tapestry first edition sealed for 100Cad no tax. I am excited for both. I've decided I would like to work on getting all of Stonemaier and Leder games as a collection goal.