• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Just managed to snag Tapestry from a new board game shop that has opened up in my town for £70. Very happy with that price, won't get a chance to play until next weekend though.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Welp, got my address and shipping all locked in for Etherfields so the wait begins. I went all in on the pledge so hopefully I like the base game plenty! More exp will hit my doorstep either way 😬

Oct 26, 2017
Selection at Half Price Books is less than stellar this sale. Been contemplating getting Terraforming Mars for $28 but even that I think it won't find the table often and I'm hoping against hope that the digital version finds its way to iOS.

I did pick up The Networks for $17 though!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how are you guys feeling Marvel Champions?

Edit: I've generally ordered from coolstuff, are there any other reputable sites I should look at?

Oct 26, 2017
I plan to just buy characters and villains I like, Ms Marvel being the first, and any of the bigger expansions they put out. Especially the one rumored to add a story/campaign to the game.

Dec 1, 2017
What have been the worthwhile upgrades in your opinion? This is my first LCG I plan on sticking with.

I've done a few things that I increase mine and my girlfriend's enjoyment of the game -

-Ultimate Guard binders and side loading pages for the Investigator deck building cards (Assets, Skills, Events) + Neutral cards and Weaknesses
-The Agenda/Act, Scenario holders from Etsy seller BuyTheSameToken
-Investigator dashboards from the same seller above, with tokens for everything from First Aid, Ammo to Doom and Health
-Broken Token organizer for artist case with Arkhamesque (from BGG Files) dividers laminated
-Coin capsules for the chaos tokens
-Game Caddy from Etsy seller Board Game Boost to store the tokens

I've done alot more, but those are the ones that I feel were the most worth it for me.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I've done a few things that I increase mine and my girlfriend's enjoyment of the game -

-Ultimate Guard binders and side loading pages for the Investigator deck building cards (Assets, Skills, Events) + Neutral cards and Weaknesses
-Investigator dashboards from the same seller above, with tokens for everything from First Aid, Ammo to Doom and Health
-Broken Token organizer for artist case with Arkhamesque (from BGG Files) dividers laminated

I've done alot more, but those are the ones that I feel were the most worth it for me.

Do you keep your cards sleeved in the broken token organizer? I've seen that particular item mentioned in every forum I've glanced through. I guess that would be the best place to start once more content drips out. Getting alternate tokens seems like a good idea eventually as well, but I didn't want to pay team covenants prices for theirs.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The tokens in marvel champs are fine. Could maybe use more of the green universal tokens but it's no big deal

Oct 25, 2017
Over the weekend got to play Roam and Taverns of Tiefenthal (as well as Dungeon Time and Binding of Isaac).

I liked them all. I won both games of Roam, was utterly crushed at Taverns (which I still loved). We lost both games of Dungeon Time (probably shouldn't have played that at the end of the night when we were tired.

Dec 1, 2017
Do you keep your cards sleeved in the broken token organizer? I've seen that particular item mentioned in every forum I've glanced through. I guess that would be the best place to start once more content drips out. Getting alternate tokens seems like a good idea eventually as well, but I didn't want to pay team covenants prices for theirs.

yep, every card is sleeved in mayday premium and there's more than enough room

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quirky Circuits is an absolute blast. Coop programming means lots of chaos and laughs (but you can do really well if the group is in sync). It's so easy to teach and charming that it's probably my go-to coop gateway game now for non-/casual gamers.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
As we get close to December I'm finally going to be getting a few games. Suburbia: Collector's Edition, Clinic Deluxe Edition, and Root all in. I can't wait. Root is probably one of my top 3 games.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
For me trying to organize LCG in it's original box is a pointless exercise and even the wooden artist case you will eventually out grow it if you keep buying the expansions. For me best way to store collectible cards game is either in a card storage or binders where you can easily expand them. (I prefer binders as they make locating card during deck building easier). I spend so much money on Arkham Horror than all the other games in my collection and probably more than even all the miniature games I own. I love the game though, and its probably my most play games and well worth the money I spend on it.

Team Covenant and Buy the Same Tokens are really expensive but for me going back to stock token was really hard. At the recent Beneath the Waves Arkham Horror gathering, I really miss the after market tokens and how easy it is to see board state than the in game tokens. That said, that should be the last thing you upgrade, I would say the best early thing to upgrade is to get a bag for the chaos tokens and then may be coin capsule for the said token. I prefer bags that can stand up right but pick whatever tickle your fancy.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Quirky Circuits is an absolute blast. Coop programming means lots of chaos and laughs (but you can do really well if the group is in sync). It's so easy to teach and charming that it's probably my go-to coop gateway game now for non-/casual gamers.

Have you played Space Alert? I wonder how it compares, that's also a co-op programming chaos exercise

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Finally established a subgroup from my board game club to play longer/heavier games. Unfortunately this means I'm buying a bunch of games I'm not sure if I'll get to play lol. I actually ordered a huge amount of games since I have to buy games to satisfy both groups.

Just ordered it thanks to you. I wonder how it would go with kids.
Does it feel like The Mind if you enforce the no communication rule.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered it thanks to you. I wonder how it would go with kids.
Does it feel like The Mind if you enforce the no communication rule.
I haven't played The Mind, but we play with no game info communication. The cards' back show you if it's a straight move (or even backwards!) or a turn, so there is some deduction going on.

If a player plays move turn move move, you're trying to figure how what they've played. "Aha, you think, I've figured it out. The player has moved to get to the corner, turns left, then moves out into the next part of the map. I will thus proceed to add to that" In reality, the player has turned right and moved backwards twice in order to get closer to the goal because those were the only card they had, so your forward movement just brings the robot back to square one, and then it hits the wall and accidentally turns left, and then you make it turn in the direction no one wants you to have done, and so on and so forth.

Sometimes we're all staring at each other, waiting for someone to play a card, but no one does. Eventually, someone plays something, and based on the card type and the positioning of the robot and map geography, you know exactly what that card is, so you continue the movement, and the next player also catches on and continues gracefully. There are some turns where everyone is in sync and it's just beautiful.

And just when the group is in sync, the next scenario adds golden cards, which can either be a move OR a turn, and a player who has one HAS to play it before s/he can play anything else, so that throws a monkey wrench into everything all over again. But it's just more deduction you have to figure out. Why would that player play their golden card now? Oooh, that must mean X Y Z etc.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
What have been the worthwhile upgrades in your opinion? This is my first LCG I plan on sticking with.

My plan is similar to Antiquegamer and Xshagrath and others here for Arkham with a few variations to keep costs down -

1. Have a deck of Investigator cards sleeved (probably with Dragon Shield later but for now I just have regular penny sleeves).
2. The rest of the investigator cards in a binder for easy browsing.
3. Scenario cards in a box, (the 'Return to' box comes with handy dividers for easy monster access)
4. Get the plastic coin capsules for the modifier tokens
5. Get searching online for health, sanity, goods, chaos and clue tokens. The team covenant ones are nice, but expensive.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Just wanted to share this with anyone who missed The Etherfields KS. Gamefound is just taking standard pre-orders for the game now!

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Im still debating if I want the sun drop addon.
Doing your own "sundrop" is fairly cheap and easy. Just prime the models in grey, then a zenithal prime of white at a 45 degree angle. Lastly, you can just apply a brown shade, and you're probably close to what they have, or better. I've heard of some people's sun drop being really poor quality.

The only advantage to getting theirs (in my opinion), is that those get priority shipping.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Doing your own "sundrop" is fairly cheap and easy. Just prime the models in grey, then a zenithal prime of white at a 45 degree angle. Lastly, you can just apply a brown shade, and you're probably close to what they have, or better. I've heard of some people's sun drop being really poor quality.

The only advantage to getting theirs (in my opinion), is that those get priority shipping.

Yeah, I don't care about doing it myself, I have absolutely no interest or desire in mini painting. There were pictures posted earlier and they looked pretty damn good to me.

Then again if I don't get the sundrop I might get the Scott Pilgrim all in bundle painted...

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I went for it as I have no plans to paint everything. The miniatures are suuuuper cool here.

Yeah and people just keep saying the quality gets better and better with each game.

Yeah that Leonidas looks terrible but contrast it with this:
363cdcf9f6428d42c1f2975267a69f23_original.jpg

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't care about doing it myself, I have absolutely no interest or desire in mini painting. There were pictures posted earlier and they looked pretty damn good to me.

Then again if I don't get the sundrop I might get the Scott Pilgrim all in bundle painted...
I wouldn't even call it miniature painting. It literally just requires two cans of spray paint and about 10-15 minutes including drying time.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Excited to crack open my Bus 20th anniversary edition tonight. Been playing a ton of Irish Gauge and Antiquity, so I feel I need to interject a more intermediate game.

Also, got my NIS copy of Coloma Deluxe involved in a math trade. Hoping to snag either Brass Lancashire or City of the Big Shoulders.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

the sundrop for lords of hellas was pretty bad, but the tainted grail sundrop shots going around are much improved

I wouldn't do it but I also paint my minis (in theory anyway)

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Hey all! Wanted to check the temperature on some games with everyone. I know these two things are vastly different. Interested in Twilight Imperium 4th Ed - my shop is selling it for 130 which is greatly reduced from even the online prices.

Also interested in Mansions of Madness 2nd. These two are about as different as can be, but not looking for an immediate comparison, just impressions of either game. Really loving the theme of Mansions but the more social, diplomatic mechanics of TI are really compelling.

Additionally, wondering how different TI is to something like Scythe. I already have Scythe, and if I feel like it's servicing my multiplayer strategy needs just fine, the investment might be in vain.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all! Wanted to check the temperature on some games with everyone. I know these two things are vastly different. Interested in Twilight Imperium 4th Ed - my shop is selling it for 130 which is greatly reduced from even the online prices.

Also interested in Mansions of Madness 2nd. These two are about as different as can be, but not looking for an immediate comparison, just impressions of either game. Really loving the theme of Mansions but the more social, diplomatic mechanics of TI are really compelling.

Additionally, wondering how different TI is to something like Scythe. I already have Scythe, and if I feel like it's servicing my multiplayer strategy needs just fine, the investment might be in vain.

Thanks for any and all replies!

TI4 is significantly more interactive and complex than Scythe, despite some overlap in genre/mechanics. But it also takes much longer to play and is really best with 6 (or 5). IMO, it's worth experiencing a couple times, but I wouldn't want to play it regularly (or own it). I also don't feel it's an especially social game even if you are trading goods/alliances with other players.

I haven't played MoM 2e, but I did own and enjoy 1e -- I think I'd like 2e even better due to the app handling a lot of the fiddly aspects.