• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
TI4 is significantly more interactive and complex than Scythe, despite some overlap in genre/mechanics. But it also takes much longer to play and is really best with 6 (or 5). IMO, it's worth experiencing a couple times, but I wouldn't want to play it regularly (or own it). I also don't feel it's an especially social game even if you are trading goods/alliances with other players.

I haven't played MoM 2e, but I did own and enjoy 1e -- I think I'd like 2e even better due to the app handling a lot of the fiddly aspects.
Appreciate the input. The length of TI is sort of repellent, the type of game that may haunt the table space overnight or longer given the player count. For what it's worth, my group really enjoys our weekly Gloomhaven nights, so we aren't component-wary, but maybe something this involved on a single game may leave people too exhausted for another session.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all! Wanted to check the temperature on some games with everyone. I know these two things are vastly different. Interested in Twilight Imperium 4th Ed - my shop is selling it for 130 which is greatly reduced from even the online prices.

Also interested in Mansions of Madness 2nd. These two are about as different as can be, but not looking for an immediate comparison, just impressions of either game. Really loving the theme of Mansions but the more social, diplomatic mechanics of TI are really compelling.

Additionally, wondering how different TI is to something like Scythe. I already have Scythe, and if I feel like it's servicing my multiplayer strategy needs just fine, the investment might be in vain.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Your decision to get TI should rest purely on whether you can get it to the table often enough. It's best with 6 and probably needs at least 4. And it takes 4+ hrs. It's one of those weekend gaming meetup games.

Scythe is more euro style, get resources, use resources, get bonuses type game. TI is more I want take these guys out, how can I do that type game.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
So I got Judge Dredd: Helter Skelter to the table, a reskin of Wildlands.
Really enjoyed it, basically a minis skirmish game but with really straightforward rules and some clever card play. Only took us about an hour to get through a match.
Looking forward to the Dark Judges expansion.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone got any tips for making Tabletop Simulator more enjoyable/less finicky?

My old group uses it every so often to play as we're now geographically dispersed, but working with the UI/UX feels like a massive chore. For example, I played Great Western Trail with my in-person group a couple weeks ago and really liked it -- every turn went by smoothly and I felt engaged throughout. When I played GWT on TTS earlier this week, scrolling around the board (even using camera shortcuts) and dragging markers/cards around to take multi-part actions was agonizing and time-consuming. We've played Terraforming Mars as well and just managing the cards that are in my hand/tableau/draft is a nightmare.

Are people playing in VR or using table-sized touchscreens or something? Or am I just an old fogey who needs the cardboard experience?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone got any tips for making Tabletop Simulator more enjoyable/less finicky?

My old group uses it every so often to play as we're now geographically dispersed, but working with the UI/UX feels like a massive chore. For example, I played Great Western Trail with my in-person group a couple weeks ago and really liked it -- every turn went by smoothly and I felt engaged throughout. When I played GWT on TTS earlier this week, scrolling around the board (even using camera shortcuts) and dragging markers/cards around to take multi-part actions was agonizing and time-consuming. We've played Terraforming Mars as well and just managing the cards that are in my hand/tableau/draft is a nightmare.

Are people playing in VR or using table-sized touchscreens or something? Or am I just an old fogey who needs the cardboard experience?
I think it just takes a bit of time to get used to the interface. That being said, it's also just not for everyone.

I'm one of those "old fogeys" who can't really get into TTS. I'd rather play a solo game instead of try to muddle through the controls.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Hey all! Wanted to check the temperature on some games with everyone. I know these two things are vastly different. Interested in Twilight Imperium 4th Ed - my shop is selling it for 130 which is greatly reduced from even the online prices.

Also interested in Mansions of Madness 2nd. These two are about as different as can be, but not looking for an immediate comparison, just impressions of either game. Really loving the theme of Mansions but the more social, diplomatic mechanics of TI are really compelling.

Additionally, wondering how different TI is to something like Scythe. I already have Scythe, and if I feel like it's servicing my multiplayer strategy needs just fine, the investment might be in vain.

Thanks for any and all replies!
I own both of these games, and scythe as well. All three are fantastic, and also extremely different from one another. To be honest, though, both MoM2 and TI4 are somewhat hard sells, due to the difficulty in getting them to the table.

TI4, as you probably know, plays best with 6, though I will say I enjoyed the couple of 3 player sessions I held to familiarize myself with the game. Even at 3 players, though, our games took 4+ hours, and with 6 you're looking at possibly a full day from lunchtime to late evening. It offers an amazing, immersive, highly interactive experience, but most groups would be lucky to get to play it more than once a year.

MoM2 is a game I sort of love and hate. It is unparalleled in offering an immersive horror mystery tabletop experience, but it can be really frustrating in a few ways. In my experience, all scenarios besides the easy beginner ones are extremely punishing. They can feel "unfair" in the first play when you fail because you didn't know what to expect, or even what you should achieve. Then after a 2~4 hour failed attempt, the group is often exhausted and wants to go home. To its credit though, the game is great for hosts who just want to provide a gripping experience for guests with almost no rules explanation. It's one of the best "teach as you play" games I've ever seen.

Both of these games, given the above,are hard for me to reccomend if budget is a concern. In that case I'd easily go for 2 to 3 mid weight games for the same total cost I think. For easy to learn but surprisingly deep space shenanigans, I'd recommend Quantum if you can find it. Cosmic Encounter is a great alternative as well for the politics and negotiation, but you need the kind of group that can revel in the chaos and excitement it brings, even when it feels unfair. For a horror game, I haven't played anything cheaper that beats MoM2, but maybe elder sign or something? I've never played that so I can't say. Aeon's end could work as it is a terrifying, tense and rewarding co-op, though as a deckbuilder it's obviously a very different kind of game.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
I own both of these games, and scythe as well. All three are fantastic, and also extremely different from one another. To be honest, though, both MoM2 and TI4 are somewhat hard sells, due to the difficulty in getting them to the table.

TI4, as you probably know, plays best with 6, though I will say I enjoyed the couple of 3 player sessions I held to familiarize myself with the game. Even at 3 players, though, our games took 4+ hours, and with 6 you're looking at possibly a full day from lunchtime to late evening. It offers an amazing, immersive, highly interactive experience, but most groups would be lucky to get to play it more than once a year.

MoM2 is a game I sort of love and hate. It is unparalleled in offering an immersive horror mystery tabletop experience, but it can be really frustrating in a few ways. In my experience, all scenarios besides the easy beginner ones are extremely punishing. They can feel "unfair" in the first play when you fail because you didn't know what to expect, or even what you should achieve. Then after a 2~4 hour failed attempt, the group is often exhausted and wants to go home. To its credit though, the game is great for hosts who just want to provide a gripping experience for guests with almost no rules explanation. It's one of the best "teach as you play" games I've ever seen.

Both of these games, given the above,are hard for me to reccomend if budget is a concern. In that case I'd easily go for 2 to 3 mid weight games for the same total cost I think. For easy to learn but surprisingly deep space shenanigans, I'd recommend Quantum if you can find it. Cosmic Encounter is a great alternative as well for the politics and negotiation, but you need the kind of group that can revel in the chaos and excitement it brings, even when it feels unfair. For a horror game, I haven't played anything cheaper that beats MoM2, but maybe elder sign or something? I've never played that so I can't say. Aeon's end could work as it is a terrifying, tense and rewarding co-op, though as a deckbuilder it's obviously a very different kind of game.
Really appreciate this post man. It's definitely dictated my purchases for sure. I think my group would have a lot of trouble finding time for TI despite the game looking really impressive. I decided to reroute my Amazon credit toward the extra Scythe content. We've enjoyed our sessions in the past and the campaign looks pretty tight. Thanks again for the response!

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Eyed Grimm's Forest at a local boardgame con today, but decided against byung it - for now. Has anybody here played it and can give impressions? Specifically: Is it fit for adults or is it too simplistic? What are the best player numbers?

I'm too much of a component whore to not consider getting it, because I just want to paint these ridiculously well scuplted minis. But it still needs realistic chace of getting to the table.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Suburbia: Collector's Edition is finally here. So glad I backed it. $150 retail now too while the campaign it costed $100. Well worth it. Loving the new art work, metal coins and components.

bqLiUYn_d.jpg

jERebUy_d.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Played six players Root, took forever and I lost by one point due to not getting my faction's (Vagabond) rules perfectly.

On Friday, I also played Root (for the first time for all of us). Three player game. Took about 2 hours. I also lost the greatest amount due to not really getting all of the rules down for my faction until about halfway through

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Suburbia: Collector's Edition is finally here. So glad I backed it. $150 retail now too while the campaign it costed $100. Well worth it. Loving the new art work, metal coins and components.

Suburbia is one of my single favorite games of all time. I sort of regret not grabbing the KS, but everything I've read said that the expansions made the game a LOT more hardcore competitive. And honestly, that's the one thing I did NOT want from the game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Suburbia is one of my single favorite games of all time. I sort of regret not grabbing the KS, but everything I've read said that the expansions made the game a LOT more hardcore competitive. And honestly, that's the one thing I did NOT want from the game.

I've only ever played the base game myself but I already knew I liked it enough to back it but I am loving the component quality and art upgrades. Also the game trays! Typically I don't care for them but I feel it's well thought out so I can easily grab what I need and the different expansions are separated into their own tray. Metal coins and the the wood tokens being airplanes, forks, and such are a nice touch. It's silly but I love the light up marker too, Great package and so glad I backed it. The box is big but it's not HUGE. Lots of depth but not very long thankfully.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Anybody here has The Norwegians expansion for A Feast for Odin? I heard it made important erratas to some if the cards from the base game so they could be played with the expansion, but without providing new cards. How do you deal with this when you're in play? Is it a problem?

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Played Twilight Imperium 4th edition today. Second time playing it, and I had such a far better time with it, grasping the mechanics a little better. Got into a heated final round where I nearly got the victory. Realized how much I love the game after gushing about it for 15 minutes to a friend. I really need to grab this time when I move back home.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy to finally be able to share my SpaceCorp review with you guys. As some of you might know I was completely gone from game reviewing due to my wife having a severe depression and other family issues.
My wife is much better now, and in the future I will actually solely be reviewing board games for Joypad.dk, and leave the video games to the other guys.
Let me know what you think of the review. The next review I will be doing is Maracaibo from Alexander Pfister and after that Tapestry.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Anybody here has The Norwegians expansion for A Feast for Odin? I heard it made important erratas to some if the cards from the base game so they could be played with the expansion, but without providing new cards. How do you deal with this when you're in play? Is it a problem?

Honestly, everything about the expansion makes Odin a better game. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Honestly, everything about the expansion makes Odin a better game. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend it.

Yeah, it's back in stock so I'll probably get it. I was just wondering how people were dealing with all the erratas on the base game cards that the expansion brings with it. Do you need to keep a reference table nearby and always look at it during play?

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Heading to BGG.CON today (doesn't officially start until Wednesday). Looking forward to it. It is always a good time.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I think Origins is my favorite board game con. It's big enough that you have some actual publisher presence, but not so big that gaming takes a backseat. I would love to go to BGG or DiceTower some time too, but I've never been able to swing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Which faction did you play as? So far I've only seen Woodland Alliance (green mice) not win once.

Eyrie. It didn't occur to me they're an engine builder till about halfway through the game. ordinarily I pick up on that quicker, but it had been a long work week for me, so I was a little slower than usual on the uptake. I want to take another stab at playing them.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So after only playing Marvel Champions solo to learn it I did a four player game this weekend and I don't think I'll ever do that again. It takes way too long. Kind of thinking it's just going to be a two player affair. Anyone tried with three?

I also finally learned Imperial Assault and really dug it. Now that it's done physically I might get all the expansions.

And my fiancé and I played Death Eaters Rising. It's a bit more than just the Thanos Rising re-skin I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm still going to try and get Dark Side Rising as well, but that seems much more a straight re-skin. My group has played Thanos so much and continues to love it so I don't mind getting it just to have different themes. Oh, and if anyone else still plays Thanos there are new promos you can ask The OP to have sent to you: Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, and Thanos' ship. There are also Death Eater promos but they're not sending those out to people.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Can anyone share their thoughts on City of the Big Shoulders? I think I want it but it's kind of hard to obtain at the moment.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
So after only playing Marvel Champions solo to learn it I did a four player game this weekend and I don't think I'll ever do that again. It takes way too long. Kind of thinking it's just going to be a two player affair. Anyone tried with three?

There seems to be a broad consensus that Marvel Champions is no good at 4. Its sister games have also been designed as 2p games.

Frankly I'm just glad that this one has played pretty well as a true solo game.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
And my fiancé and I played Death Eaters Rising. It's a bit more than just the Thanos Rising re-skin I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm still going to try and get Dark Side Rising as well, but that seems much more a straight re-skin. My group has played Thanos so much and continues to love it so I don't mind getting it just to have different themes. Oh, and if anyone else still plays Thanos there are new promos you can ask The OP to have sent to you: Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, and Thanos' ship. There are also Death Eater promos but they're not sending those out to people.

I requested Gen Con promos [for Thanos Rising] right after the con and was fortunate enough to have some show up at my house like 2-3 weeks ago. Guess they had a few extra leftover!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Cloudspire and/or Too Many Bones. I had a quick look at their webstore and shipping is roughly $100+AUD for either core. Is shipping cheaper through their Kickstarter projects? I'm trying to work out if I'll save much by waiting for their next Kickstarter and adding Cloudspire and/or Too Many Bones via Pledge Manager.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm interested in Cloudspire and/or Too Many Bones. I had a quick look at their webstore and shipping is roughly $100+AUD for either core. Is shipping cheaper through their Kickstarter projects? I'm trying to work out if I'll save much by waiting for their next Kickstarter and adding Cloudspire and/or Too Many Bones via Pledge Manager.

I went all in on Kickstarter. I paid $576 so the shipping was $46 USD.

EDIT: Quick google conversion says that's 67.53 aud.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Marvel Champions feels really really swingy to me. After feeling like we had throughly conquered the standard difficulty we started messing with the expert modules but things can go from 0-100 really really quick. Like, at a certain point you look at the board state and realize there is no coming back from it.

zzuplwZ.jpg

After this match I switched to Leadership Captain Marvel and we stomped it (Hawkeye is the real MVP). Anyone else feel the balance is way off and swings too hard? Like, you can go from full health to dead if you get some unlucky attacks and encounter deck draws. Not even the Arkham Horror LCG ever has those out of nowhere OTKO.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Champions feels really really swingy to me. After feeling like we had throughly conquered the standard difficulty we started messing with the expert modules but things can go from 0-100 really really quick. Like, at a certain point you look at the board state and realize there is no coming back from it.

zzuplwZ.jpg

After this match I switched to Leadership Captain Marvel and we stomped it (Hawkeye is the real MVP). Anyone else feel the balance is way off and swings too hard? Like, you can go from full health to dead if you get some unlucky attacks and encounter deck draws. Not even the Arkham Horror LCG ever has those out of nowhere OTKO.

Well, in general? Yes. The game is designed to have you ping-pong between keeping your health in check and keeping the enemy scheme in check. I've enjoyed those swings, as you're rarely gonna get wiped by one turn, it's more of a question of how close to fly to the sun.

But Klaw in particular (I haven't played Ultron yet) is kind of a clusterfuck with the different ways it burns through its own deck and accelerates. I haven't figured out an effective strategy for him yet. I wouldn't call that swingy, but it is punishing (and LOTR LCG for sure had some punishing scenarios)

Blank

Oct 27, 2017

It's a swingy game. The side schemes if not dealt with very fast quickly turn the game to an 11 just through the amount of cards that end up getting played/dealt. Likewise, getting your nemesis card into play is a completely different 'power level' than most other cards in the encounter deck. Elite Klaw is no joke and Legion of Hydra is probably the hardest module in the base set.

Incoming damage is largely predictable unless you draw the "villain attacks you" encounter card. Most minions don't attack the turn they're played (Ultron drones and I think Vulture are the only exceptions? barring an additional encounter card that would make them attack that is). I rarely find myself dying to damage as it's pretty clear when you have to go hide and heal. That's usually when threat gets out of control and we lose that way.

Iron-Man and Justice have been a huge bonus in beating most of these scenarios. His Helmet is underrated MVP when dealing with multiple schemes (rip Black Panther) and thwarting for 6 (arc reset + +1 thwart on IM) + Justice's other threat reduction cards buys so much time.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think that is how Marvel Championship (and to the extend Arkham Horror and LOTR LCG) are supposed to be simulating. The encounter deck is trying to mimic a card game opponent. You can be doing really well one turn and then board state totally went the other way after encounter deck take their "turn".

I only played this solo so far and hoping may be next week to get my kids playing when they are home for the holidays. So far at Standard difficulty I have yet to beat Ultron. The drones just overwhelm my hero after he go to his stage II. It's pretty fun and I really enjoy one off games without having to set up and build deck like when I play Arkham Horror LCG.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Champions can quite easily be super swingy, especially when playing with one hero. So I was playing against Klaw. Zero threat on the (second) main scheme and no enemy cards or side schemes of any kind on the table. I'm in alter ego mode and full health. Villain phase begins and Klaw schemes for base 2 + 2 from encounter deck. Then I'm dealt a single card from the encounter deck - treachery card which causes villain to scheme. Another base 2 + 2 from encounter deck draw. I lost instantly from near perfect situation. Can't even play threat mitigation cards which I had for this exact situation since they require me to be in hero mode.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Eyrie. It didn't occur to me they're an engine builder till about halfway through the game. ordinarily I pick up on that quicker, but it had been a long work week for me, so I was a little slower than usual on the uptake. I want to take another stab at playing them.
They're the only base faction I've yet to play. And honestly I'm not sure if I want to play them except for saying I've tried them all lol.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I'm skipping it. I've never been to a board game only con but yeah, too much for me. I could pretty much by some more games.
Board game convention are a lot of fun. You get to try out a lot of games you never would and learn new games and have someone teach them to you. I also met a lot of great people at convention. I skip PAX this year because I am going to BGG instead but PAX was great and I love Philly. You should try it sometimes may be small local con.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
giphy.gif

Holy crap . Wow. That delivery is gonna be huge

I posted it earlier in the sub. They sent out wave 1 stuff which is everything up except the latest expansion and box to hold everything. They did mess up and send two copies of undertow though...I'll probably sell it.

EDIT, here it is.

Well damn. My wave 1 shipment for Too Many Bones is here, it's big!

Looks like I'll have to do some Tetrising later.

gLuN5Ko_d.jpg

UzLZqr9_d.jpg

koPpBwd_d.jpg

Last edited:

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I picked up my order of Flamme Rouge and Herbaceous Sprouts today and they had Azul Summer Pavillion. I caved and picked that up too.

Hopefully I'll be able to get all 3 played this week.

Oct 25, 2017
My copy of Rumble Nation came today from amazon japan.

During Essen , id randomly put on the live BGG feed and saw this one pop up. Looked really fun and fast. A unique area control game. It won Tokyo Market Best game award last year when it was just indie. Excited to try it out

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
You bought it? It does such an excellent job of trimming the fat of the base game while adding enough for more fun strategies. I think the Norwegians expansion has made Feast one of my top 5 games for me.

I bought it today. My local game store had a few copies back in stock, and with the holidays coming up I knew I had to be quick.

I could play a 2 player game tonight, and I'm absolutely in love with the new action board(s)!