• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
As a "old-fashioned guy with history of played with old boards games before and I want to try with new things" newcomer, do you have any recommend modern boards games for beginners like me? Oh, and I need another recommend for the groups as well. Thanks.

Without enough context, I think Power Grid is a really good transition for people used to old school games. It looks old school, and has a pretty simple flow outside a couple edge case rules. It is also highly interactive, from the power plant auctions, to the dynamic market place with supply and demand (numerous resources are cheap, scarce are expensive). Its not good at 2, but does nicely scaling from 3-6.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Please let me know if this is breaking a rule and I will edit it, I did a cursory check.

I recently finished developing my first game, which started out as a joke and then became a bit of an obsession. It's a party card game that changes the dynamic of monster battles from what we usually find in CCGs. The game is built for 2-8 players and more accurately represents the kind of gameplay you would find in a turn based RPG. It also has zero tokens, chips, or calculations required, it's just two decks. One for player monsters known as Echos and the other is a Battle deck.

I personally love all the games in the creature companion genre, and I have played every popular CCG out there. I did find many of them too complex when I was young (never understood how to play the pokemon ccg until I was older), and other than small groups of friends you couldn't easily get a game going with anyone. Now of course living card games have helped solve this by having set decks, or deck builders that don't have people bring their own cards. The other problem though was the rulesets were often a high barrier of entry, so I designed my game to be simple to understand and play, but for those who put the time in there are much deeper strategies you can come to find.

4TuOAhF.jpg

Here's the trailer for the game if anyone is interested in seeing how the basic mechanics work.

I'm going to be doing streams of it over the next week leading up to the kickstarter, I'm curious and nervous to see what the community has to say.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a "old-fashioned guy with history of played with old boards games before and I want to try with new things" newcomer, do you have any recommend modern boards games for beginners like me? Oh, and I need another recommend for the groups as well. Thanks.

Depends on what you're looking for:

A lightweight party game for 6-10 players that takes 10 minutes? Consider Codenames, Dixit (3p-6p base game), or One Night Ultimate Werewolf
A deep and strategic 2-4 player card game that plays in about 30 minutes? Race for the Galaxy
A fast-playing card-based civilization builder that scales from 3 to 7 players? 7 Wonders
A small mathy tile-laying game of screwage for 2-4 players? Kingdoms
A two hour economic/auction game? Age of Steam, Imperial, or Princes of Florence
A simple 90 minute worker placement (resource collection, point conversion) game with a Dungeons & Dragons theme? Lords of Waterdeep
A two to three hour area control and efficiency engine "Eurogame"? Terra Mystica

If you're asking about finding players, try Meetup.com or your local board/card game store (often combined with comic book and D&D/miniatures). Or Boardgamegeek.com

Oct 25, 2017
What old board games did you enjoy?
Without enough context, I think Power Grid is a really good transition for people used to old school games. It looks old school, and has a pretty simple flow outside a couple edge case rules. It is also highly interactive, from the power plant auctions, to the dynamic market place with supply and demand (numerous resources are cheap, scarce are expensive). Its not good at 2, but does nicely scaling from 3-6.
Depends on what you're looking for:

A lightweight party game for 6-10 players that takes 10 minutes? Consider Codenames, Dixit (3p-6p base game), or One Night Ultimate Werewolf
A deep and strategic 2-4 player card game that plays in about 30 minutes? Race for the Galaxy
A fast-playing card-based civilization builder that scales from 3 to 7 players? 7 Wonders
A small mathy tile-laying game of screwage for 2-4 players? Kingdoms
A two hour economic/auction game? Age of Steam, Imperial, or Princes of Florence
A simple 90 minute worker placement (resource collection, point conversion) game with a Dungeons & Dragons theme? Lords of Waterdeep
A two to three hour area control and efficiency engine "Eurogame"? Terra Mystica

If you're asking about finding players, try Meetup.com or your local board/card game store (often combined with comic book and D&D/miniatures). Or Boardgamegeek.com

Thanks for the replies! And Lyng, I used to play classic boards games like Sorry!, S&L, Monopoly, Scrabbles, etc. But I never into those things anymore and that's the reason I came here to ask for better recommendations.

MrCheezball isn't Power Grid is the monopoly-style of power plant auctions?

emag Wow, that's quite a list, I'll have to go google all of these whenever I have time, but thanks for the recommendations though!

Also, I forgot to mention to looking for any mindfuck card games similar to "The Mind" (I never played it before but I saw one of the video about it and the idea was fascinating).

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Gloomhaven is like D&D. If you don't have a dedicated group to stick with it it's going to collect dust. It's just too cumbersome for occasional play. I played about once a week for three months before falling off it hard. The story isn't anything special and I ended up hating the losing cards as exhaustion mechanic. Felt like you had to rush through missions, which would often lead to mistakes and having to repeat the whole mission over again.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Gloomhaven is like D&D. If you don't have a dedicated group to stick with it it's going to collect dust. It's just too cumbersome for occasional play. I played about once a week for three months before falling off it hard. The story isn't anything special and I ended up hating the losing cards as exhaustion mechanic. Felt like you had to rush through missions, which would often lead to mistakes and having to repeat the whole mission over again.

I'm working on cultivating such a group, but we'll see!

Gloomhaven is alright, but drop the expansion. It's very mediocre, if not plain bad.

Already committed, but noted, fair enough. I'll keep the focus on the main game.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm going to be doing streams of it over the next week leading up to the kickstarter, I'm curious and nervous to see what the community has to say.
Good luck with the Kickstarter! I followed you on twitter :)
I noticed you don't have a BGG page for your game yet, and it's not in the submission queue, so get on that quick! It usually takes a couple days to get approved.
Have you sent out review copies, and do you have an advertising/promotion plan? A lot of new publishers forget about the importance of those things.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with the Kickstarter! I followed you on twitter :)
I noticed you don't have a BGG page for your game yet, and it's not in the submission queue, so get on that quick! It usually takes a couple days to get approved.
Have you sent out review copies, and do you have an advertising/promotion plan? A lot of new publishers forget about the importance of those things.

This is good feedback, and although I thought I had everything lined up it all sort of slipped away from me. So thanks for all the tips and the follow I appreciate it!

I may have to call an audible on the launch date but I have some people who will be doing previews. I will be submitting to BGG before bed, I reached out to buy ads from them as well so thats in process.

I am using my gaming podcast (4-5k unique listeners) and some friends who stream tabletop at places like hyper rpg to help. Things should hopefully come together quickly soon if not I may be forced to push back

I actually am hoping to get some traction with a concept I have, Im testing it right now to see how well it works.

I made a rack similar to a scrabble tile rack to hold cards so I can play against anyone via twitch. Viewers can select the card from their hand to play by typing 1-5.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
This is good feedback, and although I thought I had everything lined up it all sort of slipped away from me. So thanks for all the tips and the follow I appreciate it!

I may have to call an audible on the launch date but I have some people who will be doing previews. I will be submitting to BGG before bed, I reached out to buy ads from them as well so thats in process.

I am using my gaming podcast (4-5k unique listeners) and some friends who stream tabletop at places like hyper rpg to help. Things should hopefully come together quickly soon if not I may be forced to push back
Sounds good! Your gaming podcast will probably be a huge help. BGG ads are not cheap, but they're certainly worth it in my experience. Facebooks groups are also great for promoting your game.
I'm launching my second board game Kickstarter in February and I'm already stressed out about all the things I still need to do ;)

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good! Your gaming podcast will probably be a huge help. BGG ads are not cheap, but they're certainly worth it in my experience. Facebooks groups are also great for promoting your game.
I'm launching my second board game Kickstarter in February and I'm already stressed out about all the things I still need to do ;)

Yeah Im waiting to hear back from some people about availability. I didn't realize Pax U was this same weekend so it may be a bad call to still launch next week, it's certainly limiting my call to action along with holidays.

If I do push it will be essentially one month and start right after the new year. I'd really hate to do that now if I can avoid it, but it would be better than having an unsuccessful campaign. The BGG ads are expensive but they seem to be the one place it is worth spending money advertising. Making posts on FB groups has so far been meaningless for me unfortunately.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah Im waiting to hear back from some people about availability. I didn't realize Pax U was this same weekend so it may be a bad call to still launch next week, it's certainly limiting my call to action along with holidays.

If I do push it will be essentially one month and start right after the new year. I'd really hate to do that now if I can avoid it, but it would be better than having an unsuccessful campaign. The BGG ads are expensive but they seem to be the one place it is worth spending money advertising. Making posts on FB groups has so far been meaningless for me unfortunately.
Having an unsuccessful campaign is actually not a bad thing. A lot of Kickstarters fail, relaunch a few months later and do much better.
One more tip: Your Kickstarter account has backed 0 games. That's a red flag for some people, so see if there are any games you want to back.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Please let me know if this is breaking a rule and I will edit it, I did a cursory check.

I recently finished developing my first game, which started out as a joke and then became a bit of an obsession. It's a party card game that changes the dynamic of monster battles from what we usually find in CCGs. The game is built for 2-8 players and more accurately represents the kind of gameplay you would find in a turn based RPG. It also has zero tokens, chips, or calculations required, it's just two decks. One for player monsters known as Echos and the other is a Battle deck.

I personally love all the games in the creature companion genre, and I have played every popular CCG out there. I did find many of them too complex when I was young (never understood how to play the pokemon ccg until I was older), and other than small groups of friends you couldn't easily get a game going with anyone. Now of course living card games have helped solve this by having set decks, or deck builders that don't have people bring their own cards. The other problem though was the rulesets were often a high barrier of entry, so I designed my game to be simple to understand and play, but for those who put the time in there are much deeper strategies you can come to find.

4TuOAhF.jpg

Here's the trailer for the game if anyone is interested in seeing how the basic mechanics work.

this looks fun - please post when you go live - price depending, I'll probably back

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies! And Lyng, I used to play classic boards games like Sorry!, S&L, Monopoly, Scrabbles, etc. But I never into those things anymore and that's the reason I came here to ask for better recommendations.
If you're looking for modern family games, Carcassonne & Ticket to Ride are classics. I wish I'd have had those games instead of Monopoly/Risk while growing up.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If you're looking for modern family games, Carcassonne & Ticket to Ride are classics. I wish I'd have had those games instead of Monopoly/Risk while growing up.

What would a list of modern classics look like that also fall into the family game category? I think mine would be:

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Catan
Azul
Stone Age
Splendor

I think those are all great as gateway games and cover a lot of different mechanics and genres.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Thanks for the replies! And @Lyng, I used to play classic boards games like Sorry!, S&L, Monopoly, Scrabbles, etc. But I never into those things anymore and that's the reason I came here to ask for better recommendations.
What would a list of modern classics look like that also fall into the family game category? I think mine would be:

Carcassonne
Catan
Azul
Stone Age
Splendor

I think those are all great as gateway games and cover a lot of different mechanics and genres.

Great recommendations! I would like to particularly highlight Carcassonne and Azul (the 1st one) as essential games. These two are absolute classics in my home.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
So my wife and I played some Tainted Grail over Thanksgiving and we are having a pretty great time. The first two chapters went fairly smoothly, but we had to stop in the middle of chapter 3 because the session was taking so long. We were chasing x objective and at some point we missed a link or so we thought. So we backtracked only to find out we were on the right track earlier. This unfortunately has happened twice in chapter 3 because we are trying to complete a more ambiguous objective. At this point, we may have to audible and just go for one of the more direct objectives. The first two chapters took between an hour and an hour and a half each. We've been in chapter 3 for 4 hours so far.

Dec 1, 2017
Ordered Kingdom Death core over the weekend, should have realized that I probably won't get it for awhile. I'm still excited for it.

Anyone do any custom game/playmat orders from InkedGaming? What was your turnaround/impression of the final product?

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Ordered Kingdom Death core over the weekend, should have realized that I probably won't get it for awhile. I'm still excited for it.

Anyone do any custom game/playmat orders from InkedGaming? What was your turnaround/impression of the final product?

I've ordered a custom Legendary playmat from them and my wife loved it. There customer service was great as well. Because the first mat I ordered didn't turn out like I wanted, so I returned it and got a new one. I think I only paid shipping difference if I remember correctly. I may not have even done that. I would use them again for sure. The turn around was fairly quick as well but it wasn't around the holidays.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Having an unsuccessful campaign is actually not a bad thing. A lot of Kickstarters fail, relaunch a few months later and do much better.
One more tip: Your Kickstarter account has backed 0 games. That's a red flag for some people, so see if there are any games you want to back.

You're right, but actually this feedback came at a great moment where I realized I was once again exhuasted and burnt out. I feel like Im pushin the launch out now that the product is done partly because Im just so tired. Instead this is causing me to rush to try and catch up instead of having what should be a solid month now to demo the game, get it in enough hands and have it in all the right places like BGG.

So I have decided to delay it because I am not currently setting it up to be a success for a December 10th launch, especially lining up right against PAX Unplugged. I'm determining the new date now, but likely Jan 7th, since it would be dumb to launch during Xmas and New Years and I'm not going to really lock in anyone to do much during that time

this looks fun - please post when you go live - price depending, I'll probably back

Thanks! Right now I'm looking at $25, I am weighing the option of the first X amount being $20 but the game has a ton of artwork and 196 cards. Unless I get high volume Im not sure if it could be sold for under $25

Edit: Thanks for keeping me from making a mistake,

Carcassonne
Catan
Azul
Stone Age
Splendor

This is a bomb list. I finally played Azul after looking at that beautiful box art for so long. Love that game.

Last edited:

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, but actually this feedback came at a great moment where I realized I was once again exhuasted and burnt out. I feel like Im pushin the launch out now that the product is done partly because Im just so tired. Instead this is causing me to rush to try and catch up instead of having what should be a solid month now to demo the game, get it in enough hands and have it in all the right places like BGG.

So I have decided to delay it because I am not currently setting it up to be a success for a December 10th launch, especially lining up right against PAX Unplugged. I'm determining the new date now, but likely Jan 7th, since it would be dumb to launch during Xmas and New Years and I'm not going to really lock in anyone to do much during that time

Thanks! Right now I'm looking at $25, I am weighing the option of the first X amount being $20 but the game has a ton of artwork and 196 cards. Unless I get high volume Im not sure if it could be sold for under $25

This is a bomb list. I finally played Azul after looking at that beautiful box art for so long. Love that game.

I don't like campaigns that have a reward for first X backers, or backing in first 24h, I feel that I'm penalized for not finding the campaign earlier.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
$25 ain't no thang. Please make sure shipping to the UK isn't a killer <3

Totally agree about disliking the first x get a discount etc.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like campaigns that have a reward for first X backers, or backing in first 24h, I feel that I'm penalized for not finding the campaign earlier.
Yup. It's a double-edged sword. Will bring bigger numbers on day 1, but if I missed out on a bonus just because I found out about the campaign late, there is zero chance that I will back it

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

$25 ain't no thang. Please make sure shipping to the UK isn't a killer <3

Totally agree about disliking the first x get a discount etc.

Yup. It's a double-edged sword. Will bring bigger numbers on day 1, but if I missed out on a bonus just because I found out about the campaign late, there is zero chance that I will back it

Hah then this is one of the first instincts I have had which was right. I'll avoid that mistake then. Right now I have a very cool specific card which will be exclusive to all backers during the campaign. It will also be a foil card to make things a little more special. I'm also thinking about doing a couple other things, but Im avoiding doing anything like merch. Im just sticking to actual game components.

I have to tell you, Ive been agonizing over my launch and exhausting myself trying to catch up to where I should have been. Im feeling so much relif now that im going to push it back. Mostly since it's just for promotion and demoing the game, and not making more stuff.

I really appreciate everyone's input it was all really thoughtful and helpful, apologies for the accidental derail of the conversation.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
I've ordered a custom Legendary playmat from them and my wife loved it. There customer service was great as well. Because the first mat I ordered didn't turn out like I wanted, so I returned it and got a new one. I think I only paid shipping difference if I remember correctly. I may not have even done that. I would use them again for sure. The turn around was fairly quick as well but it wasn't around the holidays.

About 45 minutes after this, I got an email saying my order is shipped (just submitted it last night), so that was fast.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, exactly the same thoughts here. Also, I'm not as fond of KS exclusive upgrades, I'd prefer if there was a way to get them after the Kickstarter (pay more for them in the publisher store), since I feel like I'm not getting the best possible version because I didn't find out about the Kickstarter early enough.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of any decent metal themed games? My local group secret santee is a metalhead so was thinking of something themed.

Oct 25, 2017
I canceled my preorder of letter jam and herb witches from MM today. I wanted to make sure I got letter jam by Xmas. And herb witches is no where to be found. My local store had it 4 months ago. I got over waiting.

I got an email from them today limiting me/warning me about cancellations. I've only canceled one other thing in the last 3 years and have spent thousands there.
I'm extremely annoyed and most likely won't be giving them my business anymore

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Cave Evil is pretty metal if you can find a copy. Unfortunately, the designer has said that there won't likely be an English reprint as they have a bit of a "never look back" kind of approach. Here's the official website. In fact, pretty much all of the games from this company would be considered metal, including Cave Evil: Warcults which is at least in stock.

Edit: Their magazine games also fit the bill and are less expensive. Psycho Raiders, Freakface, and Sea Evil - they're in around the $30USD plus shipping range.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Man, no way my group will finish this before the kickstarter.

m3q07libpn241.png

Isaac Childres said:
It's time for a newsletter! So, listen. I thought about starting this off telling you about my recent Pokemon adventures, but there is some serious news that is far more pressing. You know that big Gloomhaven expansion I've been talking about and alluding to for the last three years?

Yeah, I know. Three whole years of teasing and withholding information like a jerk. Well, it's finally time! Are you ready?

FROSTHAVEN!!!

That's right, my friend! Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I could probably rant for a good while about everything that is going to be in this game, but I don't want to throw out any potential spoilers, and also I am going to be doing a lot of ranting already on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. On Saturday at 10am in the Mothman Theatre, I'll be doing a live Q&A with Tom Vasel about all things Frosthaven. I'll answer his questions, and questions from the audience, and it will be a grand old time.

Also you should come by the booth! It will be right under the giant Frosthaven sign, and it will have all sorts of cool stuff. Like, really cool stuff. If you will be at PAX Unplugged, I would absolutely love if you could come and hang out with me. And if you won't be at the show, that is okay, too! It will be live-streamed by PAX here, so please tune in Saturday 10am EST to get all the Frosthaven infos!

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I did manage to snatch a kickstarter version with all expansions and stretch goals of 7th continent for around 300 bucks today.
Now someone calm me down that I'll actually love the game until I can finally play it after christmas.
s-l1600.jpg

Please let me like you, pleassse.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Woo nice find. I only have what goes up and one mini expansion but it's still so much game it's a little overwhelming. I find it a perfect melding of theme and mechanics with a feeling of discovery that no legacy game has come close to. You actually come to know thier fictional continent through repeat plays, but there's always a little randomness that keeps it fresh. I think it's a wonder personally. A tough game to beat but more about the journey than the end.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
My friend just picked up Gloomhaven so us and our significant others might give that a go this weekend. Based on what I hear though by the time we'll be ready for Frosthaven it'll be old news lol

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Woo nice find. I only have what goes up and one mini expansion but it's still so much game it's a little overwhelming. I find it a perfect melding of theme and mechanics with a feeling of discovery that no legacy game has come close to. You actually come to know thier fictional continent through repeat plays, but there's always a little randomness that keeps it fresh. I think it's a wonder personally. A tough game to beat but more about the journey than the end.
Yeah, barely played as well and all sleeved in great condition. Pretty happy about it. I am a huge fan of original mechanics/design ideas, but considering HOW much negativity there is around the game on many forums, I am really trying my best to convince myself that I know better what I am getting myself into than many others who might have felt burned by a 300-400$ purchase.

Which one is the mini expansion you own and why do you think its a little overwhelming? From what I read, the mechanics are fairly straight forward at least, so I am curious. :)

Edit: Plus I did just try Blood on the clocktower last week, which was rather disappointing, so I hope I have better luck with this "hyped" game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I did manage to snatch a kickstarter version with all expansions and stretch goals of 7th continent for around 300 bucks today.
Now someone calm me down that I'll actually love the game until I can finally play it after christmas.
s-l1600.jpg

Please let me like you, pleassse.

This is one of my favorite games. I managed to get a second copy with everything and plastic sleeves for every card and my friend bought the other set. Love this game. Exploration is just something I appreciate so much in games and with the app that plays music, it really immersed you.

I've managed to finish the first 3 cursed now.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah, barely played as well and all sleeved in great condition. Pretty happy about it. I am a huge fan of original mechanics/design ideas, but considering HOW much negativity there is around the game on many forums, I am really trying my best to convince myself that I know better what I am getting myself into than many others who might have felt burned by a 300-400$ purchase.

Which one is the mini expansion you own and why do you think its a little overwhelming? From what I read, the mechanics are fairly straight forward at least, so I am curious. :)

Edit: Plus I did just try Blood on the clocktower last week, which was rather disappointing, so I hope I have better luck with this "hyped" game.
I have the Forbidden Sanctuary. It's super puzzly which I love, and different from the other curses. I find the game a little overwhelming because it gives you lots of options, especially at first when you're trying to figure out what your curse even is. And I'm the kind of person who likes to try a bit of everything. So instead of finishing the first curse, I've taken a run at five different ones and gotten a bit lost each time... which I love. Each play I get a little further in the curses and my understanding of the underlying mechanics improves just a little more. It's the kind of game I love just to leave on the table and take a while to ponder my next move. It not only hits me in the intellect, but the imagination as well. There's just enough well written story to build your own narrative from. The fact you can play as Amelia Earhart exploring a lost continent from a balloon with a talking bird as a companion... yeah, it's pretty great all around.