• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just spent 4 hours unpacking and sorting Gloomhaven. I'm mostly done, but had to take a break cause my hands are killing me. I haven't even decided what to sleeve yet.

Man I hope this game is good and my friends keep playing it.

If you have a Steam, there's a mod called "Gloomhaven Fantasy" (Required TTS to be installed) and it have ton of amazing assets that it can be set up by automatic with all you like.

Anyway, does anyone playing Gloomhaven on TTS nowadays?

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Happy belated new year! Why am I saying that here? Well I'm hoping to make board games a big priority of mine in 2020. I've dabbled for a few years but kicked it up a notch late 2019 when I bought pax pamir 2e - love that game

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Guys I am looking for worker placement game recommendations. Something that is on the level of Stone Age or Istanbul.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Guys I am looking for worker placement game recommendations. Something that is on the level of Stone Age or Istanbul.

Two come to mind:

Viticulture: Between a light and midway worker placement. Getting the essential addition adds neat elements. You will have one grande worker who can go anywhere to make this a more gentle affair. I do feel the visitor cards are too strong, leading to their reliance by experienced players mid to late game which adds more randomness than I like.

Bus: one of my favorite games of 2019 (technically a reprint). Very low rules overhead, but highly interactive and mean if you are into that sort of thing. A definite group favorite. If you can handle the meanness, I think it is pound for pound one of the best games of all time.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Two come to mind:

Viticulture: Between a light and midway worker placement. Getting the essential addition adds neat elements. You will have one grande worker who can go anywhere to make this a more gentle affair. I do feel the visitor cards are too strong, leading to their reliance by experienced players mid to late game which adds more randomness than I like.

Bus: one of my favorite games of 2019 (technically a reprint). Very low rules overhead, but highly interactive and mean if you are into that sort of thing. A definite group favorite. If you can handle the meanness, I think it is pound for pound one of the best games of all time.

Bus looks neat. I like interactivity and it even has network building which is another favorite of mine. I can't find a place to buy it though.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd recommend a couple of Shem Philips' games.
Architects of the West Kingdom and Raiders of the North Sea. Both are some of the most interesting Worker Placement games I have played in the last year.

EDIT: To say that both are language independent.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'd recommend a couple of Shem Philips' games.
Architects of the West Kingdom and Raiders of the North Sea. Both are some of the most interesting Worker Placement games I have played in the last year.

EDIT: To say that both are language independent.

Architects was a game I was eying, but BGG said its not language independent which is why I came here to ask for more recommendations.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mechanisms of this one sound brilliant, but I'm still debating whether my group can handle the meanness.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
The mechanisms of this one sound brilliant, but I'm still debating whether my group can handle the meanness.

I imagine a huge chunk of people trying out Bus are used to multiplayer solitaire engine-building Euros like Castles of Burgundy, where you get to sit in a corner and optimize your engine with minimal disruptions other than people inadvertently taking something you wanted. In Bus, you care about what other people are about to do, just as much as what you are about to do. Perfect example:

With his 2nd action token, the player before me takes the "stop time action" which prevents the time hand moving forward to the next location that passengers desire to visit. Anticipating this, I took the route extension, building action, and vroom action, putting down a building tile of the location that I thought he would stop time for, next to the extension. Unfortunately for me, he feigned that action and did NOT stop time, which made me waste 3 action markers (you only get 20). I dont usually let my emotions bubble up, but I let out a scream when he did that. In a 5 player game, it messed with 2 other players plans, and was just one of 10 memorable moments just like this.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a huge chunk of people trying out Bus are used to multiplayer solitaire engine-building Euros like Castles of Burgundy, where you get to sit in a corner and optimize your engine with minimal disruptions other than people inadvertently taking something you wanted. In Bus, you care about what other people are about to do, just as much as what you are about to do. Perfect example:

With his 2nd action token, the player before me takes the "stop time action" which prevents the time hand moving forward to the next location that passengers desire to visit. Anticipating this, I took the route extension, building action, and vroom action, putting down a building tile of the location that I thought he would stop time for, next to the extension. Unfortunately for me, he feigned that action and did NOT stop time, which made me waste 3 action markers (you only get 20). I dont usually let my emotions bubble up, but I let out a scream when he did that. In a 5 player game, it messed with 2 other players plans, and was just one of 10 memorable moments just like this.
See, personally this would be great for me. Being outplayed by a good move is pretty satisfying. But I'm not convinced my group would like having 3 moves out of 20 invalidated like that. I guess the game is all open information, so it's all up to the players to not fall into these traps.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
A game where one doesn't need to be able to read any text to play it. I have German and English speaking friends and with language independent material it just saves a lot of headaches.

You are sure that your German speaking friends won't be able to get over some English text on playing materials? Strictly speaking for me, and I guess my friends are all able to speak English fairly well, eventhough some might not think so, my english version of Terraforming Mars, a game with quite a bit of text on the cards, aside from some initial questions, has not been much of a problem. Neither has Lords of Waterdeep.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
See, personally this would be great for me. Being outplayed by a good move is pretty satisfying. But I'm not convinced my group would like having 3 moves out of 20 invalidated like that. I guess the game is all open information, so it's all up to the players to not fall into these traps.

I ended up coming in last, but I can tell you that everyone had fun despite the constant screwage. Aside from a couple edge case route building rules (cannot build parallel to opponents unless your end runs parallel to one of their ends) this is one of the most rules light games I own that isn't a filler. And it most assuredly will play in 90 mins or less.

Oct 25, 2017
Have it. Haven't got it to the table yet. I think it sounds like a nice mix between Great Western Trail and Mombasa, both of which I love, so I am eager to try it out. Just haven't had the right players yet.

My local game store has the ability to order it, says their distribution has a few copies. I went for it to avoid the high price. Hopefully they are right!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why TTS have a private access for playing Gloomhaven. I've seen a list of them and all of them were in locked for some reason. I was also told that anything "RPG" board games are only play rarely in it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why TTS have a private access for playing Gloomhaven. I've seen a list of them and all of them were in locked for some reason. I was also told that anything "RPG" board games are only play rarely in it.
There is very little chance to see a campaign based boardgame not be a private room in tabletop simulator. They are game you are usually expected to play with the same group of people over the course of multiple session, so people will usually look for other player before hand ( friends, or on forums, discord or whatever ) before setting up a session on TTS.
TTS is amazing to play games with others, but for the most part it's used to play not to find players ( at least that's my experience for the bigger games ).

Oct 25, 2017
There is very little chance to see a campaign based boardgame not be a private room in tabletop simulator. They are game you are usually expected to play with the same group of people over the course of multiple session, so people will usually look for other player before hand ( friends, or on forums, discord or whatever ) before setting up a session on TTS.
TTS is amazing to play games with others, but for the most part it's used to play not to find players ( at least that's my experience for the bigger games ).

Great.... :\

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You are sure that your German speaking friends won't be able to get over some English text on playing materials? Strictly speaking for me, and I guess my friends are all able to speak English fairly well, eventhough some might not think so, my english version of Terraforming Mars, a game with quite a bit of text on the cards, aside from some initial questions, has not been much of a problem. Neither has Lords of Waterdeep.

Depends on the friends.

Usually it's it that they can't do it, but they are lazy.

Last edited:

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really the fault of TTS, it's just that the time commitment that those game represent make those kind of games hard to get on the table without preparation, even online.

That being said, even if most of my time on tabletop simulator was with my brother, I also found pretty easy to find people for a big game like Kingdom Death Monster by simply joining a discord channel ( french in my case ) dedicated to that boardgame. Given gloomhaven success I have no doubt you should be able to do the same for that game ( which I actually might do too at some point since I've had little opportunity to play my physical version ).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone get any board games for Christmas? Yes, I am an adult. :)

I got Lorenzo il Magnifico: the Card Game.

Arkham Horror LCG: Return To Path To Carcosa
Exit: Haunted Roller Coaster and Catacombs of Horror
Unlock: Timeless Adventures (So in US terms, that's a bundle of The Noside Show, Arsène Lupin and the Great White Diamond and Lost in the ChronoWarp)
Hostage Negotiator

And not-actually-a-board-game-but-may-get-pressed-into-service-in-a-similar-way: Only Connect: The Difficult Second Quiz Book.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
The next CMON Kickstarter is a chibi Marvel game partnered with SpinMasters called Marvel United: https://mobile.twitter.com/CMONGames/status/1213173335720374272?s=20
Looks like it could be an Arcadia Quest spinoff or retheme. I'm hoping that's what it is, more of a campaign-based dungeon crawler than something like Crisis Protocol.
I don't care for the look of those minis at all.. But that is just me.

Also, revised Kemet was announced..

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I know this is textbook "I dont like thing", but I really hope 2020 brings us a new board gaming revolution besides campaign/legacy games and expensive chromed out games. In particular, 2019 was the worst year for me in board gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really the fault of TTS, it's just that the time commitment that those game represent make those kind of games hard to get on the table without preparation, even online.

That being said, even if most of my time on tabletop simulator was with my brother, I also found pretty easy to find people for a big game like Kingdom Death Monster by simply joining a discord channel ( french in my case ) dedicated to that boardgame. Given gloomhaven success I have no doubt you should be able to do the same for that game ( which I actually might do too at some point since I've had little opportunity to play my physical version ).

Well, I just entered in discord now and it was pretty....dead atm. Only few of were replies about different games and I was not expect it to become inactive. Should I jump to other groups or wait for them to reply me back?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back and forth on this Everdell late pledge. On the one hand, I don't think I need anything more than Spirecrest. On the other hand, my brain keeps saying "why stop there."

For those of you have Pearlbrook . . . would you say it's worth getting, particularly as a collector's edition? (which will cost about the same as the standard, and have the extra bits and bobs)

Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back and forth on this Everdell late pledge. On the one hand, I don't think I need anything more than Spirecrest. On the other hand, my brain keeps saying "why stop there."

For those of you have Pearlbrook . . . would you say it's worth getting, particularly as a collector's edition? (which will cost about the same as the standard, and have the extra bits and bobs)

I still haven't hada chance to play my copy of pearlbrook, but I am the wrong guy to ask. I'm Alllllllll I'm on everdell. I love it and love the look and components. It's a huge hit with my wife too which is a plus.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't hada chance to play my copy of pearlbrook, but I am the wrong guy to ask. I'm Alllllllll I'm on everdell. I love it and love the look and components. It's a huge hit with my wife too which is a plus.

We're almost the same here. We've only played through the base game twice though, so it's all kinda fresh and new still. But my GF enjoyed it. She loved the theme and once she realized that it's actually a bit of a heavier game behind it's Redwall facade, she really picked it up and started to ace the whole thing.

I'm not sure we'll really feel Pearlbrook missing in practice, since it's used separately from Spirecrest . . . but my collector's impulse is strong.

Oct 25, 2017
We're almost the same here. We've only played through the base game twice though, so it's all kinda fresh and new still. But my GF enjoyed it. She loved the theme and once she realized that it's actually a bit of a heavier game behind it's Redwall facade, she really picked it up and started to ace the whole thing.

I'm not sure we'll really feel Pearlbrook missing in practice, since it's used separately from Spirecrest . . . but my collector's impulse is strong.

Yeah my fear/FOMO is added on for sure. If I'm going for it though if rather just have them all
In the long run. I never buy expansions , so I figure this is the one I'll go all in on

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I have a Tabletop Simulator I bought from Steam last week and I was hoping looking for a person that can guide/tutoring me to understand the various of principle on some certain board games. Maybe we can set up the schedule for that, if you're interesting in.

And for games, I have Zombicide, Darkest Night, Mr. Game, Superfight, and Catan that I subscribed from workshop. But I was saving them for later because right now I'm still learning long and difficult rule of Gloomhaven and man...that's one is more complex than I thought but I still slowly understanding the concept better by bit and bit.

Sorry, completely forgot to reply to this.

I ended up picking up both TTS and signing up for Tabletopia, both seem preety straight forward if not a bit finicky in their execution.

I would have offered to walk you through a couple of games but with a new born my time is pretty limited at the moment hence TTS.

After a week or so of trying them I'm just going back to physical, my wife doesn't find either programs that intuitive so it's actually making play times longer.

On the plus side I did manage to get Gloomhaven to the table last night.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies If missed but wondering what the general consensus is on city of the big shoulders. I do like heavy games. Seems a bit decisive but I trust the game brain podcast and they are pretty high on it.
Almost all the copies are sold out where I live and I guess I'm succumbing to some fomo. Will probably have to order this weekend.

I'm watching the heavy cardboard play through but looking for some more opinions.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Apologies If missed but wondering what the general consensus is on city of the big shoulders. I do like heavy games. Seems a bit decisive but I trust the game brain podcast and they are pretty high on it.
Almost all the copies are sold out where I live and I guess I'm succumbing to some fomo. Will probably have to order this weekend.

I'm watching the heavy cardboard play through but looking for some more opinions.

It's a hit with some of my group but for me it was a bit mundane. I like a bit of volatility in my stock games (I play 18XX's) but with CotBS I never felt the need to dump a company. It was often easier keeping the company and growing it instead as the director shares are 30% opposed to 10% meaning you can hold bigger dividends. You should watch the Gaming Rules! video for dissenting opinions as Paul does a better job of explaining his thoughts than I do.

If you're looking for a heavy stock manipulation game I'd suggest trying an 18XX. The games are sometimes shorter and a lot more challenging.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
It's a hit with some of my group but for me it was a bit mundane. I like a bit of volatility in my stock games (I play 18XX's) but with CotBS I never felt the need to dump a company. It was often easier keeping the company and growing it instead as the director shares are 30% opposed to 10% meaning you can hold bigger dividends. You should watch the Gaming Rules! video for dissenting opinions as Paul does a better job of explaining his thoughts than I do.

If you're looking for a heavy stock manipulation game I'd suggest trying an 18XX. The games are sometimes shorter and a lot more challenging.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That video was really helpful. He was very specific around the negatives. I will ponder a bit more but at this stage I might give it a miss.

I kinda saw it as a gateway to 18xx but I think your right and I should just go for the proper thing

cheers