• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I kinda saw it as a gateway to 18xx but I think your right and I should just go for the proper thing

No better time than this year to do so. All Aboard Games are putting up pre-orders for later this year- with 18Mex probably being the most newbie friendly. Grand Trunk Games has just done 1861/1867 on KS, which has been combined also in a nice approachable new packaging. They will be doing 1889 later this year which is wildly regarded as the 18XX game for newbies- it's also a really fucking good game and is now within my Top 3 games of all time.

Tet will be along shortly to do his pitch for 1889 as well. :p

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Scythe update: I've gotten the hang of it. The only thing I haven't done yet in the base game was go to the factory (which the AIs have no interest in apparently.) I've been trying different combinations to get achievements so the latest I've been doing is Nordic/Agriculture in a 4-player game. And every game, Saxony is the one that brings my downfall. Every game they start a battle with me just as everything falls into place for me and sets me far back.

I really have to do a better job prioritizing what to do. I've made enlisting and upgrading top priority and plan to have only 1 Mech for the purpose of defence. I also plan on getting at least 13 pop so that I finish at tier 3. Anything less and I have no chance. I'm not sure if I can pull it all off, but I'm hoping it'll be enough to defeat that Saxony scum.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, completely forgot to reply to this.

I ended up picking up both TTS and signing up for Tabletopia, both seem preety straight forward if not a bit finicky in their execution.

I would have offered to walk you through a couple of games but with a new born my time is pretty limited at the moment hence TTS.

After a week or so of trying them I'm just going back to physical, my wife doesn't find either programs that intuitive so it's actually making play times longer.

On the plus side I did manage to get Gloomhaven to the table last night.

Don't worry. Actually, I'm done with the basic stuff already and now I know how things work, but the problem is: I'm still stuck in the middle of "battle" because I sometimes tend to forgot things quickly that I have to modify it with "modifier cards" with Monsters. So, I messed up and have to started all over from back to square one. :\

I wish there was a speculator who could see it and then stop me right there so I can never make it any mistake again. The more mistakes I made, I learn better, do you know what I mean?

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
The next CMON Kickstarter is a chibi Marvel game partnered with SpinMasters called Marvel United: https://mobile.twitter.com/CMONGames/status/1213173335720374272?s=20
Looks like it could be an Arcadia Quest spinoff or retheme. I'm hoping that's what it is, more of a campaign-based dungeon crawler than something like Crisis Protocol.

The chibi style usually isn't my thing, but if the gameplay is good, I'll be down. I couldn't get into Crisis Protocol because of expense and no one plays skirmish games in my group.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Got my Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies kickstarter in. This thing is legit tiny...
Deck of cards for scale:
UTG.jpg

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the big thing in January they were teasing? Boring. I don't know what I was expecting.

Yeah that was the big tease. I wish it were there Dragon Ball game. Speaking of, the Dragon Ball game on KS right now looks kind of rough, especially for the price. I'm so desperate for a good DB miniature game, but I don't think I'm that desperate.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Bit late but Happy New Year all!

I bought way too many games last year - so I'm kinda still in the midst of discovering and working out how to play most of them. Some highlights last year from me were (in no particular order)

Azul - this looked incredibly plain (and boring) at first, but our family has a GREAT time with it. My 4 year old and 6 year old play it, its so easy to understand, and sometimes they feel rather clever, and I get to praise them for seeing a move that I didn't. I really recommend this if you have kids, of course there's every chance they might find it boring (there are no unicorns or space rockets here), but its so easy to play, and its still tricky for adults.

Arkham Horror LCG - Admittedly I've only played till the first Dunwich Legacy deluxe box, but I ended up buying the rest of the mythos packs for that campaign. I also decided to get The Circle Undone campaign too. What I really like about this is that it plays pretty well solo.

Undaunted Normandy - Yes this is another game my 4 year old plays (or tries to play) - technically he's not REALLY playing, but I give him some choices and he makes decisions. What I love about this game is that there's no reading involved. The only words are some actions written on the cards, so he understands how to play.

This year, I still have a backlog of all the Vital Lacerda games that I got last year to go through and learn. I'm going to try and learn 1889 and other 18xx games. And of course I'm going to be playing through Arkham Horror LCG and if I have any money left after getting AH, I'll start on Marvel Champions but happy to wait and see what they bring out first. I also got a couple of Star Wars Destiny sets, but happy to just get a booster display or two when they're clearing them out just to build up some cards to play with. I feel like on the board game side of things, its really quiet, but I have a lot to do in terms of LCGs/card games.

No better time than this year to do so. All Aboard Games are putting up pre-orders for later this year- with 18Mex probably being the most newbie friendly. Grand Trunk Games has just done 1861/1867 on KS, which has been combined also in a nice approachable new packaging. They will be doing 1889 later this year which is wildly regarded as the 18XX game for newbies- it's also a really fucking good game and is now within my Top 3 games of all time.

Tet will be along shortly to do his pitch for 1889 as well. :p

Just for everyone else's information - on BGG, there are Print and Play files for 1889. I tried to do it at the end of last year and most of it went fairly well, but it is really difficult to do a great job. Like for example - the small tokens (station markers?) - i haven't found a solution yet, because its difficult to cut out small circles of anything (cardboard, wood etc.) I had a bit of trouble doing a 4 page folded board because one of the cuts was slightly off, so I'll be doing it again. So yeah, its fine for a learning copy, but if you're strapped for time, id say just to get a kickstarter copy.

Scythe update: I've gotten the hang of it. The only thing I haven't done yet in the base game was go to the factory (which the AIs have no interest in apparently.) I've been trying different combinations to get achievements so the latest I've been doing is Nordic/Agriculture in a 4-player game. And every game, Saxony is the one that brings my downfall. Every game they start a battle with me just as everything falls into place for me and sets me far back.

I really have to do a better job prioritizing what to do. I've made enlisting and upgrading top priority and plan to have only 1 Mech for the purpose of defence. I also plan on getting at least 13 pop so that I finish at tier 3. Anything less and I have no chance. I'm not sure if I can pull it all off, but I'm hoping it'll be enough to defeat that Saxony scum.

I've liked Scythe less the more i played it. Like you say combat is a pretty big deal and can set you back significantly. On the computer I've beat the AI by a lot and lost by a lot. And I keep comparing it to Terraforming Mars. I know they are totally different but they are both in the BGG top 10, and I like TM way more now. At first I liked Scythe more. Both are still awesome though.

Oct 25, 2017
I used my MM gift card I got for Christmas. Grabbed trismegistus and Paris. Looking forward to trying Paris with my wife I needed more fast 2 player games

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
This was kind of foreshadowed by the abrupt announcement of the shutdown of web tools.

Does FFGI handle the apps for Mansions of Madness and IA? If so, what will happen to them?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My D&D group decided recently to try the Star Wars RPG when we finish our current campaign soon. Fantastic timing.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was kind of foreshadowed by the abrupt announcement of the shutdown of web tools.

Does FFGI handle the apps for Mansions of Madness and IA? If so, what will happen to them?

No, those apps appear to have been done by a third party (check the credits). FFGI's big push was the LoTR PC card game, which appears to have been a flop.

TBH, the FFG designers I really cared about have all (?) left, some more recently than others: Corey K, Nikki Valens, Eric Lang, and Kevin Wilson -- even Christian Petersen.

Last edited:

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
My D&D group decided recently to try the Star Wars RPG when we finish our current campaign soon. Fantastic timing.
It actually could be! They might put all their RPG products on sale to clear out the warehouse. You might be able to get all the sourcebooks and accessories for cheap.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
There's already a second expansion under development (or maybe even completed) that has not been announced yet. It's been a hit, and on a lot of Top 10 lists for the year. I don't have any fear that this will or MoM will be getting discontinued.

Yeah the big hitters will be fine. If you're holding out for a Heroes of Terrinoth or Battle for Rokugan expansion though, welp.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
No, those apps appear to have been done by a third party (check the credits). FFGI's big push was the LoTR PC card game, which appears to have been a flop.

TBH, the FFG designers I really cared about have all (?) left, some more recently than others: Corey K, Nikki Valens, Eric Lang, and Kevin Wilson -- even Christian Petersen.

Konieczka left? That guy was probably the best designer at FFG. Jeez...

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I LIVE!

Hey guys, any of you swell chums who backed Tainted Grail taking on poor souls for a good old fashioned piggy back when the PM opens back up?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Played Living Planet, a little wrong but boy was it fun! Pretty clever with how it uses the dice that aren't rolled.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone played Glorantha: The God's War? The second kickstarter is coming up and I'm wondering if the game is good.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I love boardgaming as a hobby,but I rarely have to time to play with my friends anymore

-Lack of personal free time
-Lack of free time in concurence with my friends' free time
-Lack of willingness to invest in board gaming,when free time is precious to you

Now that uni days are over for me,the hobby went downhill unfortunately. And do I have some great games in my collection :/

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah that was the big tease. I wish it were there Dragon Ball game. Speaking of, the Dragon Ball game on KS right now looks kind of rough, especially for the price. I'm so desperate for a good DB miniature game, but I don't think I'm that desperate.

Yep, I was thinking it was going to be DBZ, thought I remembered a CMON dbz announcement. So that's still on?
That one up on kickstarter now does look abysmally bad. Don't do it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop put up a bunchof board games for 50%, including Dark Souls, but didn't update the stock so it was unavailable online.

AkaiShiki

Dec 28, 2019
Hi everyone.

Lurked for a long time here before deciding to create an account.
Pretty new to the board game hobby so hoping to find good advice here.
I usually play with a group of 4 friends so I'm mainly searching for 5+ player games.
Recently bought El Grande. Played one game but I'm already hooked.
Hoping to play more games of El Grande soon !

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Wasn't Angry Joe going to make one after his Street Fighter one was done ?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone.

Lurked for a long time here before deciding to create an account.
Pretty new to the board game hobby so hoping to find good advice here.
I usually play with a group of 4 friends so I'm mainly searching for 5+ player games.
Recently bought El Grande. Played one game but I'm already hooked.
Hoping to play more games of El Grande soon !
After El Grande, gaming is all downhill from there.

Games that play well 4-5p:
- Concordia
- Power Grid
- Nusfjord
- Bus