• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I usually play with a group of 4 friends so I'm mainly searching for 5+ player games.

Our group usually has 5-6 people and getting over 4 players is kinda rough. Even if the games support it they tend to be slower. So we split into 2 groups alot.

I second Concordia as a fun 5 player game.
Also:
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Camel Up
Libertalia
Terraforming Mars is long but fun

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Angry Joe going to make one after his Street Fighter one was done ?

Well he was slated to do one eventually, but they chose to go with the Mortal Kombat themed one first, so I don't think we will see the DB one any time soon if at all. I would much prefer it over MK but I'm sure licensing played a large role in it. I'll be there for DB is it ever does show up though. At this point I think we will see IDW and CMON's collab first.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone.

Lurked for a long time here before deciding to create an account.
Pretty new to the board game hobby so hoping to find good advice here.
I usually play with a group of 4 friends so I'm mainly searching for 5+ player games.
Recently bought El Grande. Played one game but I'm already hooked.
Hoping to play more games of El Grande soon !

Imperial is one of my favorite economic games and plays 5-6 well. If you want something lighter and friendlier, the designer's more recent Concordia is also pretty good (but only plays 5).

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I only heard good things about Concordia. I really need to try it.

It's a fantastic game.

This is exciting. I'm backing them day 1 on kickstarter.

unknown.png

AkaiShiki

Dec 28, 2019
Thanks for all the recommendations !
I heard about Concordia before but it's definitely on my radar now. I will take some time to check out all the other suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Just finished playing my second game of El Grande ( and I won !! )... It's so good I don't know why I didn't get the game sooner.

Dec 1, 2017
Was on the fence about pledging Etherfields, but after trying out the digital alpha of Tainted Grail on Steam this weekend, I'm a believer.

Now I need to decide if I want to up my pledge for Aeon Trespass: Odyssey

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I need Oath yesterday.

The thing about those details is that none of them matter alongside the story we crafted over multiple plays. Five generations, I told myself; five will be enough to observe the game's mythos in transition. Yet as soon as our fifth play was wrapped, we played again, and then again. Oath had become a minor obsession. Everyone needed to see where it would lead. We weren't following a prewritten narrative, two thousand numbered paragraphs in a spiral-bound playbook. We were following our narrative. The story we wrote across centuries.

After a military catastrophe unmade the invincible armies of the local bully, our culture's exhausted warlords were brought to heel by a dynasty. A broken dynasty based on lies and mistakes, but such a thing wouldn't be the strangest occurrence in history. Generations later the dynasty had grown fat with the plumpness of assumed rule, and imploded into a ruin of its former self, literally inhabiting the ash-blown husk of a demolished city. At least we had a representative government. Which we endowed with a voice by dividing into bitter factions, refusing to cut a deal with anybody, and squabbling over scraps until hardly anything remained. From that time of strife the church arose, broader and stronger, its laws delivered via esoteric mysteries and closely-guarded secrets. When we reestablished the republic — only after another dynasty's interregnum, after another savage period of warlords cutting a path across the steppes — there was no reason to declare it the end of history. But it seemed right. I sorted the cards back into their original piles. Gone were the radical new powers we'd folded into our plays. Gone were the clans and their respective pecking orders. All that remained was the history.

I've played hundreds of games about history. Oath may be the first game I've played about historiography. Just as Rome was a kingdom before it was a republic, and then an empire before it became an instrument of religion, the culture we raised could be traced from root to branch, the sum total of many small decisions. Military campaigns, a blade in the dark, shrewd merchants, frontier explorers, collusions, divisions, the choice of one companion over another — all mattered as often as they were lost to time.

Moreover, Oath answers the questions left hanging by other civilization games. Who are you? Where are the internal challenges to your power? Rather than shepherding a culture from BC to Far Future CE, each play resembles a single pivotal turn in a larger epic. These are the watersheds, the revolutions, the moments when power was seized and crises were faced and buried. And when we played, our history was written by our own hands. Wehrle might call it a hate letter to civilization games and legacy games. But that's only half the story. Oath is also a love letter.

And through it, I can't wait to experience another chance at writing some history.

Oct 25, 2017
It was always hard buying and selling on eBay, because of weight and size of games. But now that they collect tax, it's pretty much 100 percent useless. They charge tax on final cost after shipping. Ridiculous. If you buy a $15 game and it costs $15 to ship, they charge tax on $30. Impossible to find a decent deal now

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
It's good but, to be honest, very dry. I have to be in the right mood to play it. You absolutely feel it when you're not having a good game too.

Second game of Maracaibo under my belt now. It's certainly a return to form for Alexander Pfister- it's very challenging.

How does it compare to Blackout? We like that one a lot. Haven't played GWT.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Foundations of Rome is also January 14. It's going to be a rough week next week. Oath is pretty much an auto-buy though.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to paint the Gloomhaven figs that my wife and I are using. I started with Cragheart and I'll paint her spell weaver when I get the chance.

Technique was a real basic tabletop standard. Base coat plus wash, orange glazed eyes, and slate pieces for the base dry brushed to give it a sandstone type look.

Dec 1, 2017
Anyone order Paladin sleeves direct from their website? How long did they take to ship?

and what's the difference between ordering from their site and Kickstarter?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shame that a lot of projects that I've been eager for are now dropping/about to end PMs when I'm in a bit of a rut. May have to hold off on Oath and Return to Dark Tower, though at least those I can dollar pledge and get to the PMs later.

Speaking of PMs wrapping up, I finally got to play Everdell after it sitting around for a couple of years. Great little engine builder, though the opening hand can make or break you depending on what pops up in the meadow. It went incredibly well with the community, and just like at Gen Con it was an eyecatcher to passerby. I didn't even know there was a KS for two other expansions (I own but haven't played Pearlbrook), so I'll try and see about nabbing the late pledge.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
So I've currently come back from playing Fury of Dracula. It was my second time on the game after playing it once (as a hunter) some eight or so months ago. I was hoping some more experienced players could provide some insight into the game on my thoughts.

I had remembered how the movement system worked but had no idea on combat (but more on that later).

I started in Bucharest with the nearest hunter being two towns away by road. I moved as my first turn to Sofia with my plans to skirt around the Balkans for a while and then attempt to move past the hunters in Austria-Hungary to get into Germany.

No such luck, the hunters second turn, plays a card to rail to the nearest city, which was Bucharest. I had to reveal my starting location, then to compound it, he played another card to make me reveal myself if he named a city and I was in it. You guessed it, Sofia.

After me having a single turn, I felt the game was already over tbh. I managed to allude being fully encircled for another 3 hours granted before finally dying (after a week and a half of in game time).

So my question is, as Dracula, would I have been fair to ask for a new starting location after being caught so early? It basically ruined the game for me as I could only run. A lot of the early cat and mouse stuff with the hunters was redundant and effectively handed the win to the hunters as I was then never able to mature any vampires as I needed basically all of them to survive each turn as it past.

As a minor nitpick, the hunters actively didn't converse during the night phase at all to discuss their tactics (and discouraged the other hunters from also talking). To prevent me from knowing their thought progresses and only spoke during the day phase when I couldn't react. Is this too meta? I'm sure it's allowed in the rules of the game but it feels against the spirit of the game since Dracula knowing the hunters plans and actions is a big part of the game.

Not knowing the combat rules also hurt me a lot as I drew five cards for combat and then promptly ran out of cards as the hosts never told me as Dracula I need five cards in my hand!

Also, the hosts didn't tell me we weren't playing with the Advanced rules. So I went looking for cards for ages that I could never find as they weren't in the deck!

Overall, although I made the game three hours the game finished with me disappointed. We played with five players and I felt this was my only time I'd get to play as Dracula (we'd rotate Dracula around in the next game so everyone can be him assuming we even play the game again due to us having so many games between us).

I wouldn't have minded losing, but I feel annoyed with myself as I've basically wasted my only chance playing as Dracula.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I got to play Catan: Seafarers and Concordia. I'm still not sold on Catan, but Seafarers seems to be a marked improvement over the base game (mostly by making it shorter); and it's way better than the Knights and Castles expansion. On the other hand, Concordia feels like an interesting take on the basic concepts of Catan except that it's a vastly superior game. It was a learning game so it didn't flow as smoothly as it could have but everybody had a ton of fun.

So I've currently come back from playing Fury of Dracula. It was my second time on the game after playing it once (as a hunter) some eight or so months ago. I was hoping some more experienced players could provide some insight into the game on my thoughts.
I haven't played the game but it sounds like you had bad hosts. Not telling you about what rules were being played can be just an oversight, but the bigger problem is that only people familiar with the rules should be playing the character being hunted. The problem is that if you're playing a hunter, you can always ask your teammate about rules and strategies. If you're the hunted, then you're completely on your own so it's just less fun for everyone. Rotating the roles seems good in concept, but in practice it's going to be misery if the player in the pivotal role isn't comfortable with the rules to begin with.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017

I had remembered how the movement system worked but had no idea on combat (but more on that later).

I started in Bucharest with the nearest hunter being two towns away by road. I moved as my first turn to Sofia with my plans to skirt around the Balkans for a while and then attempt to move past the hunters in Austria-Hungary to get into Germany.

No such luck, the hunters second turn, plays a card to rail to the nearest city, which was Bucharest. I had to reveal my starting location, then to compound it, he played another card to make me reveal myself if he named a city and I was in it. You guessed it, Sofia.

After me having a single turn, I felt the game was already over tbh. I managed to allude being fully encircled for another 3 hours granted before finally dying (after a week and a half of in game time).

So my question is, as Dracula, would I have been fair to ask for a new starting location after being caught so early? It basically ruined the game for me as I could only run. A lot of the early cat and mouse stuff with the hunters was redundant and effectively handed the win to the hunters as I was then never able to mature any vampires as I needed basically all of them to survive each turn as it past.

As a minor nitpick, the hunters actively didn't converse during the night phase at all to discuss their tactics (and discouraged the other hunters from also talking). To prevent me from knowing their thought progresses and only spoke during the day phase when I couldn't react. Is this too meta? I'm sure it's allowed in the rules of the game but it feels against the spirit of the game since Dracula knowing the hunters plans and actions is a big part of the game.

Not knowing the combat rules also hurt me a lot as I drew five cards for combat and then promptly ran out of cards as the hosts never told me as Dracula I need five cards in my hand!

Also, the hosts didn't tell me we weren't playing with the Advanced rules. So I went looking for cards for ages that I could never find as they weren't in the deck!

Overall, although I made the game three hours the game finished with me disappointed. We played with five players and I felt this was my only time I'd get to play as Dracula (we'd rotate Dracula around in the next game so everyone can be him assuming we even play the game again due to us having so many games between us).

I wouldn't have minded losing, but I feel annoyed with myself as I've basically wasted my only chance playing as Dracula.
I've played Fury of Dracula many times, as both Dracula and a Hunter. Couple thoughts:

1. Your hosts not explaining the rules you were using is just a dick move. Plain and simple. It's a dick move, for what is already the hardest role in the game.

2. Hunters only conversing during the day or night phase shouldn't matter at all. You don't have to leave the table either way, and Dracula always goes AFTER the hunter night phase. There is even a section in the rule book for "table talk" that basically says "hunters can talk about whatever they want, but have to do it in front of Dracula". The ONLY time two players are allowed to converse in private is when those two players are performing a trade action, and then ONLY those two players (who usually leave the table).

3. Dracula places their starting position AFTER all the hunters have placed. Starting that close to the hunters is, imo, a bad idea because of exactly what happened to you. There are plenty of cards that just straight reveal locations. It was a gamble that went badly and hurt you in the end, so while I definitely sympathize with wanting a restart, that's sort of on you.

BUT, one on one Dracula is more than a match for any particular hunter, especially so early in the game before they've had a chance to gear up. So if you take that gamble and the hunters are spread out, just take the fight. Might get you some free influence to beat down a hunter while the others try to hurry their way over. Then again, that also goes back to point 1 where not explaining the rules is a dick move.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with what others have said. The hosts are being dicks here.

Also, I think Fury of Dracula works best as a "beer and pretzels" game. People should be having fun first and foremost. If people are that serious and aren't even talking as hunters, then it just isn't fun. Conversely, there are many ways that Dracula can be a dick if he just wants to win. Relax, enjoy the atmosphere of the game and have fun with it.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I got to play Catan: Seafarers and Concordia. I'm still not sold on Catan, but Seafarers seems to be a marked improvement over the base game (mostly by making it shorter); and it's way better than the Knights and Castles expansion. On the other hand, Concordia feels like an interesting take on the basic concepts of Catan except that it's a vastly superior game. It was a learning game so it didn't flow as smoothly as it could have but everybody had a ton of fun.

I haven't played the game but it sounds like you had bad hosts. Not telling you about what rules were being played can be just an oversight, but the bigger problem is that only people familiar with the rules should be playing the character being hunted. The problem is that if you're playing a hunter, you can always ask your teammate about rules and strategies. If you're the hunted, then you're completely on your own so it's just less fun for everyone. Rotating the roles seems good in concept, but in practice it's going to be misery if the player in the pivotal role isn't comfortable with the rules to begin with.
I've played Fury of Dracula many times, as both Dracula and a Hunter. Couple thoughts:

1. Your hosts not explaining the rules you were using is just a dick move. Plain and simple. It's a dick move, for what is already the hardest role in the game.

2. Hunters only conversing during the day or night phase shouldn't matter at all. You don't have to leave the table either way, and Dracula always goes AFTER the hunter night phase. There is even a section in the rule book for "table talk" that basically says "hunters can talk about whatever they want, but have to do it in front of Dracula". The ONLY time two players are allowed to converse in private is when those two players are performing a trade action, and then ONLY those two players (who usually leave the table).

3. Dracula places their starting position AFTER all the hunters have placed. Starting that close to the hunters is, imo, a bad idea because of exactly what happened to you. There are plenty of cards that just straight reveal locations. It was a gamble that went badly and hurt you in the end, so while I definitely sympathize with wanting a restart, that's sort of on you.

BUT, one on one Dracula is more than a match for any particular hunter, especially so early in the game before they've had a chance to gear up. So if you take that gamble and the hunters are spread out, just take the fight. Might get you some free influence to beat down a hunter while the others try to hurry their way over. Then again, that also goes back to point 1 where not explaining the rules is a dick move.

I agree with what others have said. The hosts are being dicks here.

Also, I think Fury of Dracula works best as a "beer and pretzels" game. People should be having fun first and foremost. If people are that serious and aren't even talking as hunters, then it just isn't fun. Conversely, there are many ways that Dracula can be a dick if he just wants to win. Relax, enjoy the atmosphere of the game and have fun with it.

Thanks guys!

I took a gamble early on in the hopes my relatively close starting location would then enable me to go into central Europe midgame. The gamble backfired spectacularly and I never properly recovered.

Yeah the player who found me early actually placed his starting location after I'd picked my starting location. I did hesitate and go to move my starting location only to eventually stick with it. I should have reacted better.

As for JSR_Cube's point, these guys singularly play to win, fun for other players they don't care about.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
To each their own, but I'd see it as a waste of my time playing with people like that. I get grumpy just reading about it.

This is one of the reasons I play co-ops more often with my group. We do not have too many players that can lose with an an ounce of grace, so it's much easier to avoid most competitive games. The exception would be Dice Throne, everyone seems to enjoy that one regardless. The co-ops allow everyone to play for fun instead of being tryhards who shut down the moment they get behind.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's rare for my community group to have competitive issues, either with players losing without grace or others playing to win to the detriment of the table. However, our tournaments like for Catan can get a little sour since the focus is a bit more on winning and the Area of Control and selective trading aspects ramp up. Unfortunately that's a bit unavoidable, but everyone moves on quickly from the initial loss/standings announcement.

Can't abide by cheaters though. Always set the rules and variant at the start. I also try to do a quick recap of basic turn order and options before for less familiar players and will teach-in-play for newcomers.