• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Writing was on the wall sets ago. My local scene was dead/dying already. Shame because I feel like the mechanics of it were solid. Will see about teaching the wife to play and playing casually, or bulk sell down the road... it's a storage hog.

Oh, I wasn't surprised but I was hoping it would get one more set (preferably with Rise of Skywalker stuff in it). Which, I suppose it is but those cards are going to be very pricey on the aftermarket.

All I've done is play casually with fiancée so it's not like the game will be completely dead for me with this announcement but I was hoping ot have the entire Skywalker saga represented in a card game. Here's hoping a co-op lcg follows.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Started a session of Clank! Legacy tonight with my normal gaming crew. We only had time to complete the first game, but it was a blast. It starts right out with the Legacy stuff. Excited to see where this leads.

Others who have played through it - What did you name your starting towns? We named ours Beer Bottom.

We're only on game two. My wife noticed that all the named cities on the board were something-ridge so we went with Rock Ridge. We have to tone down the jokes a bit because my son is playing, but I did wonder if it was real or a cardboard version. For what it's worth, our HQ is Miner Problems.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I know I am in the minority here but there's too much phone integration for me to back it. It will do well though, so they don't need people like me.

Same for me. As someone who likes videogames too, I just don't get it. You could sell the entire game as an app to play couch multiplayer. This whole thing where you have both a videogame and a complicated physical thing is a turn off for me. I mean the game LOOKS great, but I hate it when apps are required. I would rather have one player as a tower master, or have the equivalent of a cheap calculator running the thing and being part of the tower, like I assume the old game was.

Sure, you'd be limited then, but why not remove all limits and just make a board game that's 100% video? Bah. I also don't like that I'm in the minority on it. It's fine for lots of things to exist, but I'm irked that such a cool looking board game has a required cheap looking video game attached to it.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I love the sound of Clank! Legacy, but with my group recently picking up Gloomhaven I don't think we have time for it. Maybe I'll pick up one of the base Clank! games and an expansion to get a small taste for now.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like Monolith's new kickstarter is struggling. A lot of people are voicing their frustration saying Monolith won't give them more of what they want and insist on forcing this Beyond the Monolith skirmish game down their throats. I have Batman GCC and the VS. Mode but haven't played it because I really enjoy the missions and playing with more than two people. I can't see why you wouldn't do more story/campaign content when you have all of the Conan lore to base it on. I also thought similar things during Batman Season 2 and only got the Suicide Squad box. I'm hoping the KS succeeds for those who want it and I am really interested in Mythic Battles Ragnarok, but I don't think Monolith has necessarily inspired confidence lately. Turning a deaf ear to what products your customers actually want seems like a risky strategy.

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like Monolith's new kickstarter is struggling. A lot of people are voicing their frustration saying Monolith won't give them more of what they want and insist on forcing this Beyond the Monolith skirmish game down their throats. I have Batman GCC and the VS. Mode but haven't played it because I really enjoy the missions and playing with more than two people. I can't see why you wouldn't do more story/campaign content when you have all of the Conan lore to base it on. I also thought similar things during Batman Season 2 and only got the Suicide Squad box. I'm hoping the KS succeeds for those who want it and I am really interested in Mythic Battles Ragnarok, but I don't think Monolith has necessarily inspired confidence lately. Turning a deaf ear to what products your customer's actually want seems like a risky strategy.

Especially on kickstarter where the people are funding your game.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith's new thing just made me want the next Mythic Battles even more. It's surprisingly expensive for a game that was supposed to utilize a bunch of their minis I already owned and if I'm playing a 1v1 game I would rather just play MB.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just took a look at that Conan KS and they really succeeded in making a complicated mess of a campaign page.

I got the first Conan release and then Batman but they've really lost me as a customer since Batman season 2. The fact that the Batman rulebook was so bad again after that was probably the main criticism for Conan and how they handled some of the Batman 2 stuff told me they don't care at all about what their customers want or feel.

One one hand I want people that want this new stuff to get it, on the other I feel Monolith completely deserve how this campaign is going and I won't shed a tear for them.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I just took a look at that Conan KS and they really succeeded in making a complicated mess of a campaign page.

I got the first Conan release and then Batman but they've really lost me as a customer since Batman season 2. The fact that the Batman rulebook was so bad again after that was probably the main criticism for Conan and how they handled some of the Batman 2 stuff told me they don't care at all about what their customers want or feel.

One one hand I want people that want this new stuff to get it, on the other I feel Monolith completely deserve how this campaign is going and I won't shed a tear for them.

That's pretty much where I am at as well. I don't want it to sink the company or people lose their jobs, but maybe it will force them to step it up after this.

Monolith's new thing just made me want the next Mythic Battles even more. It's surprisingly expensive for a game that was supposed to utilize a bunch of their minis I already owned and if I'm playing a 1v1 game I would rather just play MB.

I missed the MB kickstarters so I've never had a chance to play it, but that system with Norse mythology is going to be tough for me to pass up. Unless of course, that campaign resembles this BtM stuff.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Whoo! The Empyreal Kickstarter has begun shipping! I got the notification from FedEx that my Empyreal pledge has shipped. Trial by Trolley also shipped yesterday afternoon. I'm pumped to be getting both games in.

Last night I tried a 5p game of Architects of the West Kingdom. I liked it well-enough (and won) but I don't know that I feel like I need to own it. The whole "you don't get your workers back at the end of a round/turn" aspect was something new to me though. I was surprised how much of a 'take that" element was present and how cutthroat it got with imprisoning other player's meeples. I don't mind negative player interaction in a game but I know that a lot of other people dislike it, so the amount of hype the game got in spite of that caught me off-guard.

We also played two games of Sushi Roll, a 3P game and a 5p game. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I like it more than Sushi Go. I'm going to play it with my wife and daughter this weekend.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I skipped the last Batman by not being too pleased with how the first one I went all-in on turned out and that, as you pointed out, they dug into those holes deeper and a few more aside.

I've been debating selling it and Hate for a long while now. They take up a ton of room and none have touched a table. Hate is still unopened. I think the big thing holding me back has been that I've never sold anything online before and feel like the market is pretty saturated of them unless I want to lose a good deal of money.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I skipped the last Batman by not being too pleased with how the first one I went all-in on turned out and that, as you pointed out, they dug into those holes deeper and a few more aside.

I've been debating selling it and Hate for a long while now. They take up a ton of room and none have touched a table. Hate is still unopened. I think the big thing holding me back has been that I've never sold anything online before and feel like the market is pretty saturated of them unless I want to lose a good deal of money.

I don't blame you for your reservations about selling online. I've sold a few things and the only one that I didn't lose money on was Massive Darkness and that was because I got it for a steal. Shipping cost is what makes it hard to break even on those bigger games, but I don't have a local board game scene in my small town to try and do local.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame you for your reservations about selling online. I've sold a few things and the only one that I didn't lose money on was Massive Darkness and that was because I got it for a steal. Shipping cost is what makes it hard to break even on those bigger games, but I don't have a local board game scene in my small town to try and do local.
There's a store I can maybe drive out to in Illinois that I know sells used/secondhand games (Wandering Dragon. Incredible place in a region with no lack of good FLGS'), but then I run into gas and toll costs while likely getting much less than if I tried the online method and the involved shipping there at a trade-off to certainty of selling in a timely manner.

There's also a 2nd & Charles that is much closer, but I doubt they'd even pay $100 for the lot if they even accept those items in their system.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The overproduction on all these kickstarters is such a turn off. Feels like all my playtime has been gravitating to the simpler good games lately, so much KS crap is just overproduced fluff that has no bearing on the quality of the game, just inflating prices

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on what the game is. I think many would take a glance at Nemesis and call it overproduced on the grounds of minis, but the Invaders/Voidseekers/Carnomorphs presence on the board really plays well into the panic and tension of the gameplay. Just as with Lifeform I'm glad there wasn't a mini or any, as nothing would be gained with how the game plays.

I'd also argue that Return to Dark Tower, as expensive as it is, makes sense in the route they went. That tower is the gimmick. It's the point of bringing it back. Most of the other pieces have a purpose than just being miniatures to sit/move. It's hard for me to look at that game and argue another design that would match up to the two years of hype drummed up about it while modernizing the gimmick that's central to it.

However, I can get behind the arguments of Foundations of Rome not needing all of these physical buildings, just as Tapestry's landmarks seem unnecessary plastic.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I've also been considering selling Batman for the same reasons. It takes up so much space and the two times we tried to play we got so frustrated with the rulebook we stopped and put it back. I've since watched a better video on how to set it up and play (as Monolith's own wasn't great) but have yet to try again. The gameplay looks quite fun but I feel I'm getting to a point where I'm preferring lighter games with quick setups.

I'm considering Facebook Marketplace to try and sell some stuff but I'm doubtful I'd get the prices I could on ebay, even after fees and shipping.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I will be the first to back up that KS games are overproduced and looking to inflate the price tag with whatever they can add.

However, that Rome game's whole point seems to be about building the cityscape with miniature models, and it looks to be a completely forgettable game without them.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I will be the first to back up that KS games are overproduced and looking to inflate the price tag with whatever they can add.

However, that Rome game's whole point seems to be about building the cityscape with miniature models, and it looks to be a completely forgettable game without them.

If miniatures have to carry your game it's probably not worth it being played in the first place.

I see the point for something like Nemesis as ArkkAngel007 mentioned. That is kind of "Ameritrash" so adding to the fantasy of having real models of the monsters is a nice bonus. Foundations of Rome is just a Euro with unnecessary fluff which raises the price and footprint of the game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
If miniatures have to carry your game it's probably not worth it being played in the first place.

I see the point for something like Nemesis as ArkkAngel007 mentioned. That is kind of "Ameritrash" so adding to the fantasy of having real models of the monsters is a nice bonus. Foundations of Rome is just a Euro with unnecessary fluff which raises the price and footprint of the game.

If it's being used then at least it can be justified but that Divinity: Original Sin board game had minis for absolute reason. I backed for a dollar but I don't think I'll be bothering with it. At this point, I want games with less of a set up time. I'm even considering getting a refund on Oathsworn but not because of them, just I have enough board game RPGs with a bunch of miniatures and no where near close to finishing Gloomhaven. Then Frosthaven will have its campaign this year.

It's getting a bit much.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Played 3 games of food Chain Magnate with the ketchup expansion over the last 2 weekends. I have to say that the expansion is a must have. Improves the game greatly. You can still lose on turn 2/3, but the games are faster and there's a slight chance to come back from bad turns.

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to play the first one since making the hard call to pass at Gen Con. I've been waiting for my local Barnes and Noble to get in their edition since they advertised it in order to take advantage of my membership (online doesn't discount), but they never stocked it.

I really like it. It's super simple but there is strategy and thought into your moves. It's also beautiful and super easy to teach. Hopefully your BN gets it at some point, highly recommend picking it up

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like all my playtime has been gravitating to the simpler good games lately, so much KS crap is just overproduced fluff that has no bearing on the quality of the game, just inflating prices
The gameplay looks quite fun but I feel I'm getting to a point where I'm preferring lighter games with quick setups.
At this point, I want games with less of a set up time.

I find it interesting three of us have said pretty much the same thing on this page. Not that it's indicative of a larger change in habits but I just wanted to point it out.

At this point I think the only bigger KS games that could still get my attention are Awakened Realms' stuff. I will definitely be checking out ISS Vanguard.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I find it interesting three of us have said pretty much the same thing on this page. Not that it's indicative of a larger change in habits but I just wanted to point it out.

At this point I think the only bigger KS games that could still get my attention are Awakened Realms' stuff. I will definitely be checking out ISS Vanguard.

I think as we get older and have more responsibilities, time I'd much harder to come by. Gloomhaven, as much as I love it, is very hard to schedule for. It's pretty much a 6 hour affair for my group but we only meet monthly.

I can't imagine how long Middara will take me to play or Etherfields will take me. Set up time, storage, and just playing games with minis can eat away at your day.

Sad thing is, I LOVE those gargantuan sizes games. Takes up your whole table and miniatures to portray your class/hero or enemy. Star Wars imperial assault feels amazing to play and I think the minis add to the theme so much that it makes the game even more fun.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post but for those interested, Monolith's KS, Beyond the Monolith has been cancelled. I wonder what this means for their partnerships with Cmon, etc, who planned content for the system using their own IPs.

Here's a statement from Fred Henry, Monolith:
"Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who followed us and participated in this campaign. 250K remains a very nice sum and I am fully aware that many designers would love to reach these numbers. However, as high as it is, this amount would unfortunately not cover the development and licensing costs necessary for the successful launch of the range.

It is now more than obvious that the Beyond the Monolith offer did not attract enough pledgers to complete the project. I had high hopes for the concept and take full, personal responsibility for this failure. As I wrote yesterday on my Facebook page, I was unable to properly explain either the concept or the campaign. I thought the discount system was worthwhile and promising, but it quickly became obvious that it didn't make sense to people and was not an appetizing incentive. I had hoped that the large drop in prices on existing models would outweigh negative reactions to offering duplicates. Again, this was a monumental mistake. I thought that setting a realistic funding threshold in relation to the project's costs would express our respect and seriousness. [aa1] I made transparency and communication a priority and worked hard to explain the choices we made. Unfortunately, due to my poor language skills, I was only able to do this on French-speaking social networks.

Is a relaunch possible?

Yes. But it is now obvious that between BTM and Conan's Adventure mode, the pledgers' hearts are overwhelmingly with the latter.

If there is a relaunch, the offer will have to be completely revised. Put aside BTM (Who knows? Maybe in a few years, with some work and the right formula...), focus on Adventure Mode only (including Matt's solo/co-op system), and give the Conan community what it wants.

I would also like to make it clear that Matt John continuously maintained that we should focus on Adventure mode. We often disagreed, but he has always been the voice of the community. He was right and I was wrong. When I took over the reins of Monolith, I mistakenly distanced myself from the community. He did not. Today, I wish I had listened to him. I know that he often took it upon himself to announce unpopular decisions that were mine. I would like to thank him publicly for his tenacity, which in the end convinced me that I was on the wrong track and that there was no point in being stubborn.

As far as I'm concerned, today, "down for the count"... But I will get back up. As many of you know, given the experimental nature of the campaign, I financed it entirely from my personal savings so as not to burden Monolith with the risk—I gambled and lost. "That's Poker"

We have to proceed in order. Right now, I'm going to focus on getting Batman Season 2 properly delivered. Production has left China and is heading to the Hubs.

Then, once the boxes have reached our pledgers, I will launch the new Conan KS, which this time, I hope, will be what the community is looking for (I will listen Matt). It will most likely be a smaller, less ambitious campaign, but, after a fall, I prefer to get up slowly.

Thank you for your understanding and for all your support and feedback.

Fred Henry."

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Holy overproduction Batman!

You could replace all the plastic with tiles and it wouldn't make a difference.

it does look like the kind of Game I enjoy though.
It is quite overproduced, but I am kinda alright with that for just once. I love city builders and watching a sprawling city grow with miniatures like those here is excellent in my eyes. Its somehow a different ballpark for me from those mini games with tons of monsters and whatnot.
Just like with Memoir 44 and 1775, the Shut Up guys might have sold me on another war game. Undaunted looks really cool.

Thank you!

Oh nice! Been interested in this game for a while, gonna watch the video and see if I bite now or wait for the Africa edition.

Edit: That was a great review that took a dark but quite necessary turn. Think I am gonna look into getting a copy, definetly of the North Africa edition later in the year.

Last edited:

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
We're only on game two. My wife noticed that all the named cities on the board were something-ridge so we went with Rock Ridge. We have to tone down the jokes a bit because my son is playing, but I did wonder if it was real or a cardboard version. For what it's worth, our HQ is Miner Problems.

Nice. We were moving through the prologue quickly and somehow missed that the Town and HQ were different entities, so we ended up naming (aka ret-conning) our HQ "The Beer-Bottom Inn of Beer Bottom," which ironically seems to fit in better with the tone of the game than anything we would have come up with.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just like with Memoir 44 and 1775, the Shut Up guys might have sold me on another war game. Undaunted looks really cool.

I'm familiar with the SUSD name but don't think I've ever watched their stuff but was curious about the comment about the dark turn the review took. Holy hell what a phenomenal review. To bring up the messier real world aspects of the subject matter and then, as he says, put his money where his mouth is and expand upon it in the way he does is incredibly impressive. It reminded me of how Waypoint/Vice tackle video game reviews, not just focusing on the various aspects of the product itself but a deeper dive on less thought of elements (colonialism in Monster Hunter, Killing baby zombies, etc.). I'm sure there's a better way to describe what I mean but I hope my point is clear. Do they do that type of thing often?

As an aside, the game itself seems pretty interesting but I don't think I'd ever get it to the table. My fiancée is my main two player partner now and she wouldn't like the subject matter at all.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It is quite overproduced, but I am kinda alright with that for just once. I love city builders and watching a sprawling city grow with miniatures like those here is excellent in my eyes. Its somehow a different ballpark for me from those mini games with tons of monsters and whatnot.

Oh nice! Been interested in this game for a while, gonna watch the video and see if I bite now or wait for the Africa edition.

Edit: That was a great review that took a dark but quite necessary turn. Think I am gonna look into getting a copy, definetly of the North Africa edition later in the year.

Yeah, I think I will wait for the North Africa version as well..

I'm familiar with the SUSD name but don't think I've ever watched their stuff but was curious about the comment about the dark turn the review took. Holy hell what a phenomenal review. To bring up the messier real world aspects of the subject matter and then, as he says, put his money where his mouth is and expand upon it in the way he does is incredibly impressive. It reminded me of how Waypoint/Vice tackle video game reviews, not just focusing on the various aspects of the product itself but a deeper dive on less thought of elements (colonialism in Monster Hunter, Killing baby zombies, etc.). I'm sure there's a better way to describe what I mean but I hope my point is clear. Do they do that type of thing often?

As an aside, the game itself seems pretty interesting but I don't think I'd ever get it to the table. My fiancée is my main two player partner now and she wouldn't like the subject matter at all.

Oh yeah it's an excellent review. They don't always make it a big part of their reviews as this time but representation, sexism, colonialism come up when it makes sense. They also point out when games handke things especially well. I don't always align with their tastes, but I think they are well worth watching.

This time I am glad he brought up this subject matter and the incredible focus we now have on the American perspective. Something we see not just concerning WW2 and way beyond board games.

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled about 10 games from my collection today. I'll take them to a local FLGS soon that has a used section on consignment. Felt good to clear up some space.
I think I gotta un-sleeve wingspan too so I can fit the expansion in the core box...
I wish I could fit unmatched in one box too

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I pulled about 10 games from my collection today. I'll take them to a local FLGS soon that has a used section on consignment. Felt good to clear up some space.
I think I gotta un-sleeve wingspan too so I can fit the expansion in the core box...
I wish I could fit unmatched in one box too
Do you have a separate deck box for the bonus and automa? There's just enough room for the bird cards unsleeved in the draw tray (core+EE+Quickstart), and nothing else. I'm hoping that we see a new box with expansions in mind at Gen Con, though idk anything beyond the next Wingspansion.

At least they left some room for the My Little Scythe expansion figures. Would be nice if that was a bigger/taller box, and you just had to transfer the inserts over from the core into the new one.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a separate deck box for the bonus and automa? There's just enough room for the bird cards unsleeved in the draw tray (core+EE+Quickstart), and nothing else. I'm hoping that we see a new box with expansions in mind at Gen Con, though idk anything beyond the next Wingspansion.
I don't care about automa so I guess I should be ok if I unsleeve.... but I don't know if I want to ha. But I hate having extra boxes

when I ordered dice throne s2 I got the big
Box I somehow assumed s1 would fit in that but it didn't. So S1 finally got pulled because I don't expect to go back to it

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about automa so I guess I should be ok if I unsleeve.... but I don't know if I want to ha. But I hate having extra boxes

when I ordered dice throne s2 I got the big
Box I somehow assumed s1 would fit in that but it didn't. So S1 finally got pulled because I don't expect to go back to it

Noooo, the beauty of Dice Throne is mixing and matching the different characters for matchups. And since everyone is valid in the adventure game, I can't see ever getting rid of characters.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
The next Wingspan expansion will focus on Oceania.

From Stonemaier Games, on the Wingspan FB group:
"Due to the sheer number of birds affected by the Australian wildfires, Stonemaier Games is announcing early that the next expansion for Wingspan will focus on the region of Oceania. Sign up at the link below to be notified first when the Oceania expansion preorder launches later in 2020; for each email we collect by January 22, Stonemaier Games will donate $1 to [WIRES], a wildlife rescue organization in Australia.

Feel free to share this link far and wide, as the more signups we get, the more we'll donate to save birds impacted by the wildfires in Australia."

I'm looking forward to seeing magpies and bin chickens sharing the spotlight with more high profile Australian birds such as emus and kookaburras.

Last edited: