• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
When Green Goblin, Cap, and Ms Marvel came out, they were all sold out at the online shops, but I was able to find them at a local FLGS

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up some things lately so I'll give my short-ish reviews and one question to start things off:
I picked up Arkham Horror Card Game for really cheap and I'm wondering if the story cycles (big expansions plus smaller packs) are supposed to be played in order or if you can just jump into any of the big story campaigns?

You can play the cycles in any order. I would recommend starting with Dunwich, as it's one of the "easier" campaigns, and it introduces a lot of player cards that still see heavy use today. But after that, you can go any direction. The Forgotten Age is easily regarded as the most difficult campaign to date, so I would not advise jumping straight into that one after just playing the core.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's impossible to find any of the Marvel Champions expansions right now.
Unfortunately, I guess allocation is screwed up. I've had problems with Arkham Horror packs too, but not to the degree that Marval is having (usually only a few days after release).

I've taken to just pre-ordering them direct from FFG. I'm paying full retail for the packs, but there's no shipping within the US. Also, I actually get the packs early now. The newest Arkham pack (slated for 2/7) will arrive on Monday. My friend ordered Wrecking Crew for Marvel, and will receive that on Monday as well.

It kinda sucks for the LGS's out there that they do this. But as a consumer, it's pretty awesome.

Oct 26, 2017
I've now played LOTR: Journey to Middle Earth twice at 5 players and I can just not get into that game. The opening quest/adventure is way to unforgiving to new players and both games were mostly new players. The game spits a bunch of stuff on the map to explore buuuuuut don't explore all of it, and tons of enemies show up buuuuuut you really shouldn't attack them unless you have to. It's like here's a bunch Of candy now don't eat it, which would be fine for 2-3 quests later but the opening mission should be a bit more generous.

To exacerbate the issues I had with LOTR I played Cthulhu Death May Die right after and loved it. Turns were fast, goals were clear and you are encouraged to fight, but it still can get bad for you quick.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I've now played LOTR: Journey to Middle Earth twice at 5 players and I can just not get into that game. The opening quest/adventure is way to unforgiving to new players and both games were mostly new players. The game spits a bunch of stuff on the map to explore buuuuuut don't explore all of it, and tons of enemies show up buuuuuut you really shouldn't attack them unless you have to. It's like here's a bunch Of candy now don't eat it, which would be fine for 2-3 quests later but the opening mission should be a bit more generous.

Have you tried the new "Adventure Mode", which makes threat a little bit more manageable? We're almost through the first campaign, and I'm really enjoying it, even if my Aragorn is fairly useless.

Oct 26, 2017
I did some reading on BGG about Journey to Middle Earth I am going to give it another try a 2/3 players. Seems it plays differently at that player count and tends to benefit players that want to explore and fight more and leaves more wiggle room to do so.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did some reading on BGG about Journey to Middle Earth I am going to give it another try a 2/3 players. Seems it plays differently at that player count and tends to benefit players that want to explore and fight more and leaves more wiggle room to do so.

For what it's worth, we absolutely hated our 3 player experience and ended up quitting about half way through. I think we managed to win one scenario.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, we absolutely hated our 3 player experience and ended up quitting about half way through. I think we managed to win one scenario.
We're playing a 3p campaign, and have won all but the first battle map. We're getting ready to go in to the last scenario now.

I think the key with the base game is to really focus on the objective. All of the side quests really are just ways to throw you off and eat up way too much time. That's why I'm interested in trying the Adventure Mode in our next campaign, as it severely reduces the amount of threat gained each turn, and will give us time to explore that side of the game without just constantly threating out.

Oct 25, 2017
Over the weekend, taught and played a 4 player magnificent. Was a big hit. I lost miserably. I always do because I'm so focused on making sure the rules are right and stuff ha.

I hope my Atlantis rising comes in this week

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the new time stories. The last few of the base game we have not loved. I decided to grab the new one as a final try. If it's a dud I'm out. If we like it, I'm in.

Oct 25, 2017
Bro... how many games do you have? Like, where are they all kept? Not just physically but mentally? So many rules. So many things. Do you cycle out you games if they aren't a hit? I'm so confused!!

I have a bookshelf and kallax. Mentally....I'm "decent" at remembering the base rules but if years go by I'll watch a video or something first.

im getting better at purging stuff. A somewhat local store has a used section. You price it, they sell it and take 20 percent. I did a dozen or so over the summer and I have a dozen I put in the basement to bring this month.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Horrified is a surprisingly competent and fun licensed game
Its replaced Pandemic in that style of game for the majority of my group. Pandemic still gets a lot of love, but the theme and variety here works well. Hopefully they can make more in that vein.

Ravensburger has been killing it the past two years with Horrified, Jaws, Jurassic Park, and Villainous.

Looooook what came in today

Can't wait to hear your impressions on this one!

Oct 25, 2017
Its replaced Pandemic in that style of game for the majority of my group. Pandemic still gets a lot of love, but the theme and variety here works well. Hopefully they can make more in that vein.

Ravensburger has been killing it the past two years with Horrified, Jaws, Jurassic Park, and Villainous.

Can't wait to hear your impressions on this one!

I don't know if I'll get to play this weekend but soon!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Slide Quest, general thoughts on it? Only fun if adults are not sober?

I loved Battle Sheep and am generally a fan of Blue Orange games.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Major Canadian online retailers I trust:
- BoardGameBliss
- 401Games
- GreatBoardGames.ca (but they are slow at delivering games)
- Levalet

Other minor ones I've used without issue:
- Imaginaire (free shipping at $59 in Ontario)
- GeekstopGames

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I hear not so great things about this. Honestly, the Exit games scratch that disposable game itch for me and it is cheaper than Time Stories.
Yeah it seems pretty hit or miss. Dice tower hated it, Rhado really liked it. I figure this is my last shot. If it sucks I'll sell it and move on from time stories

I wasn't very much into the original Time Stories. It sounded like a good idea, but I got pretty bored of it's mechanics and tricks by the second story our group played. It's the only game which I let them play without me because I really don't enjoy playing it anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't very much into the original Time Stories. It sounded like a good idea, but I got pretty bored of it's mechanics and tricks by the second story our group played. It's the only game which I let them play without me because I really don't enjoy playing it anymore.

We loved the first one and really really liked the 2nd one. Once we hit the dragon one though we hated that one .

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
One of the best Canadian online stores, and iirc they ship to th US. I order from them often.
Canadian here, and a big thumbs up from me as well for 401. Never had an issue, and have bought games and card singles from them.
That's good to hear, they're the only place I found where you can preorder Root Underworld.

I'm not in Canada btw, but I'm going to use a forwarding service anyway so it doesn't matter.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
A Fallout board game "upgrade pack" is gonna be announced on the 20th. Will be interested to see what this is. The game has issues, the expansion improved the game and the coop mode scenario is actually really fun and what the game should have been like. Wondering what "upgrade" is, hoping it involves maybe adding coop option to all scenarios or maybe some rule tweaks? So many good house rules online for fixing the weak endgame the base game had.

Seeing people post about FFG allocating the next set, too. Freaking FFG is so terrible at this sometimes (signed, a spurned SW Destiny player).

They are supposed to release a new pack/set each month for the game so doubt that is gonna change. But yea FFG keeps fucking this stuff up and taking forever with reprints and distribution. I think Champions is more easy to take their time with as it's not a competitive game. Games like Destiny need constant and quick support or you lose your audience.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
A Fallout board game "upgrade pack" is gonna be announced on the 20th. Will be interested to see what this is. The game has issues, the expansion improved the game and the coop mode scenario is actually really fun and what the game should have been like. Wondering what "upgrade" is, hoping it involves maybe adding coop option to all scenarios or maybe some rule tweaks? So many good house rules online for fixing the weak endgame the base game had.

Really? I still need to snag New California. I LOVE the core game...I play it solo and just take my time exploring the wasteland and can't wait for more of it!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Really? I still need to snag New California. I LOVE the core game...I play it solo and just take my time exploring the wasteland and can't wait for more of it!

New California really makes it a better game. More encounters, more enemies, gear, loot, and survivors. Think the new scenarios are almost more fun overall. The coop mode also to me is great, but you should play it with around 3-4 survivors to really have a fair time with it, or it gets too hard with few players.

I would love coop to be added to all the scenarios if they can, you can take your time more to explore, shop, and upgrade your characters as you don't have the random winning of a player when playing with others. In solo its not an issue so much but a big problem with the game is how one person can win very quick almost randomly with how the agenda cards work.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear, they're the only place I found where you can preorder Root Underworld.

I'm not in Canada btw, but I'm going to use a forwarding service anyway so it doesn't matter.
401 shipping to the US is a flat rate of $19.95 CAD, plus any duties. I'm curious if the forwarding service is any cheaper.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Hi everyone!
Thinking of pledging to the Aeon's End Outcast and I want to get at one or two sets of contents.
So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for what I should get?And I would like to know more info on Aeon's End Legacy. I already have the base game so I don't think the first set is a good value for me.
Set One: Aeon's End + The Depths + Nameless
Set Two: War Eternal + The Void + Outer Dark
Set Three: Legacy + Buried Secrets
Set Four: The New Age + Shattered Dreams + The Ancients

As for the question for Aeon's End: Legacy, so the Legacy games are still new to me and I get various answers on what they are. Some people say Legacy games are games that you play once (due to destruction of game pieces) and others saying it's a game that you make permanent choices and they can still be repayable (Shadowrun: Crossfire / Dragonfire come to mind).
Just want to know if Aeon's End Legacy is more on the replable side like SR:Crossfire and Dragonfire in that regard.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone!
Thinking of pledging to the Aeon's End Outcast and I want to get at one or two sets of contents.
So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for what I should get?And I would like to know more info on Aeon's End Legacy. I already have the base game so I don't think the first set is a good value for me.

As for the question for Aeon's End: Legacy, so the Legacy games are still new to me and I get various answers on what they are. Some people say Legacy games are games that you play once (due to destruction of game pieces) and others saying it's a game that you make permanent choices and they can still be repayable (Shadowrun: Crossfire / Dragonfire come to mind).
Just want to know if Aeon's End Legacy is more on the replable side like SR:Crossfire and Dragonfire in that regard.
AE Legacy has a one-time playable story in which you customize mages with stickers. Once you're done, you're done. However, there is a Reset Pack if you ever want to replay it (don't throw components, the Reset Pack might need them). More importantly, AE Legacy still gives you 6 replayable nemeses (ie. not all of them) to play and mix with the rest of your AE games, a new nemesis deck, and some new player cards (but not necessarily the entire player cards pool of Legacy, because some cards are more or less powerful than the non-Legacy cards - the game tells you which are which). Buried Secrets gives you additional more balanced player cards with the new abilities in Legacy (silence, pulse) to supplement, but no new nemeses. You can technically use your customized mages with the rest of your AE but I have no interest in doing so.

If interested in the full story campaign, it goes Legacy, then New Age, then Into the Wild (add-on), then Outcasts. If you want only non-Legacy replayable story expeditions, then NA + Into the Wild + Outcasts. However, this will spoil Legacy's story.

If you want pure replayable content, War Eternal has more of it than Legacy.

Summary:
-War Eternal + 2 xpacs: 12 mages, 8 nemeses
-Legacy: 4 customized mages, 6 nemeses
New Age + 2 xpacs: 11 mages, 6 nemeses, one replayable story expedition, expedition mode (campaign mode, which -Outcasts also have and in which you can combine the treasures and upgraded nemesis cards)
-Into the Wilds: 2 mages 1 nemesis, 1 replayable story expedition
-The Depths: 3 mages, 1 nemesis
-The Nameless: 1 mage, 2 nemeses

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Hi everyone!

Get set two & four, for me, they added the most variety to my plays. Legacy is nice while it lasts but like Pandemic it went in the bin after being played. I recycled some of the cards but most were trash and boring to play with.

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone!

You almost certainly should get the New Age wave as it will have the same expedition system as Outcast, which should give you more variety in treasures. Also, I think the mages in the New Age wave are all really fun and well designed. Essentially, you can see that the mage design gets more interesting as new expansions release.

War eternal is good, but it's essentially a significantly better version of the base game. I don't think it's mages or cards are AS interesting as New Age, but they're still a huge step up from base game.

Legacy is just its own beast. I loved Legacy. It was super fun to play and build a Mage, and the story / progression was decent. The biggest problem is that it feels weird to use your mages outside of the Legacy game, and while it has a lot of content, not all of it translates well to other games. Legacy essentially ramps up in power for cards and characters - you start out weaker than most of the other content, and end up a good bit stronger. That progression is fun to play, but it makes adding the cards from the early part or late part of the game into normal sets tougher, so you get stuck with just the cards from the mid-game.

The legacy system is intended to only be played once (and reset with a reset pack). When we played, we only played with two characters and I think with just a little bit of planning / adjusting, we could have run through legacy twice using the other two characters and the unused stickers, but that would have meant being careful not to destroy cards or waste stickers until we had done so. You might be able to keep doing that over and over, but it'd be difficult without the reset pack.

If you have experience with and like Legacy games like Pandemic or Clank Legacy, then I'd say go for it as it is among the best I played. If you don't like them then you should probiably skip. If you don't know, then I think it's just a matter of whether you're willing to drop money on it knowing it's a 10 - 20 game experience, not necessarily a slew of new content that will stay around forever.

Oct 27, 2017
I recently became addicted to board gaming because my s/o's family were into very basic/easy to play games during the holidays, so after I got into it that's basically what makes up my "collection" at the moment..

I currently have
obscurio, camel up, the grizzled, codenames, odin's ravens, 7 wonders duel, on the underground, king domino, dead man's draw, naga raja, the quacks of quedlinburg, rhino hero: super battle, hanabi, colt express, and fluxx

I'm trying to stop but I really want to check out the taverns of tiefenthal, wingspan, isle of cats, betrayal at house on the hill, and maybe one slightly more difficult one I can play solo if desired... if any of those are blatantly bad please let me know to help me convince myself not to purchase them.