• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to a cabin this weekend with one friend and the weather dosen't look to be all that great. We've played alot of boardgames, but never a co-op one. Which should we play? Unfortunately pandemic legacy s1 is sold out at our local store. Is spirit island any good? It's their top recommended game in that genre

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to a cabin this weekend with one friend and the weather dosen't look to be all that great. We've played alot of boardgames, but never a co-op one. Which should we play? Unfortunately pandemic legacy s1 is sold out at our local store. Is spirit island any good? It's their top recommended game in that genre

Spirit Island is a good rec, but a hell of a hard game to jump into without much experience. If you're comfortable with mid to heavy games, I'd say go for it.

It's similar to Magic, in that the various interactions of the card powers can get mentally tangled and complicated and need rulebook checks (or checking FAQs online, or the resolve to just use your intuition). But that open canvas to experiment with your powers is the point of the game too.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Just got my ROOT expansion stuff in today. Definitely going to have to bust out these neoprene mats next week. I guess I forgot to get the automated people though.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I'm trying to stop but I really want to check out the taverns of tiefenthal, wingspan, isle of cats, betrayal at house on the hill, and maybe one slightly more difficult one I can play solo if desired... if any of those are blatantly bad please let me know to help me convince myself not to purchase them.

Stop buying games and play your existing ones first. I did the same thing when I first got in to the hobby and regret doing so as my tastes changed rapidly. Out of those listed only Isle of Cats I could see myself keeping. I've even recently sold Wingspan as it's shallow and boring.

Oct 28, 2017
I finally started 7th Continent last night. I like it so far. My biggest complaint in the beginning is that I felt directionless. I just completed the first "puzzle" and now am starting to get into it.

It's very much like a CYOA or Point and Click adventure game.

Oct 26, 2017
Im pumped about it
Probably won't get to it til next week or 2 as I want at least 4 players I think

i played the introductory game solo (playing all 4 leaders) tonight to learn the rules and see how the flow of the game works because I've been tapped to teach it tomorrow night. It's sooooo good, and lucky for me is an easy teach. Watching Atlantis sink away is amazing and really turns the screws on you later in the game. I like that you as a team could have it figured out a turn or two ahead, but the misfortune deck can really mess that up in more ways than one. The library cards and the artifacts within them are awesome, and adds lots of replayability (only play with 4/10 artifacts). Speaking of replayability there's 20 component tiles and you only use 9 in a game and there's about 10 different leaders with unique skills, and the difficulty can be adjusted. There's a ton of combos to be had here.

My only concern is that it may be susceptible to quarterbacking, but that comes with territory for cooperative games. Can't wait to play tomorrow and report back.

Oct 25, 2017
i played the introductory game solo (playing all 4 leaders) tonight to learn the rules and see how the flow of the game works because I've been tapped to teach it tomorrow night. It's sooooo good, and lucky for me is an easy teach. Watching Atlantis sink away is amazing and really turns the screws on you later in the game. I like that you as a team could have it figured out a turn or two ahead, but the misfortune deck can really mess that up in more ways than one. The library cards and the artifacts within them are awesome, and adds lots of replayability (only play with 4/10 artifacts). Speaking of replayability there's 20 component tiles and you only use 9 in a game and there's about 10 different leaders with unique skills, and the difficulty can be adjusted. There's a ton of combos to be had here.

My only concern is that it may be susceptible to quarterbacking, but that comes with territory for cooperative games. Can't wait to play tomorrow and report back.

Awesome first impressions! Can't wait to hear more. Sounds like a winner

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Arrived this morning! Excited to finally play this.

image0.jpg

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on Arena: The Contest? I only became aware of it through the current Tanares expansion/reprint KS, but it looks interesting. It reminds me of a less complex Sword and Sorcery, I'm just not sold on a D20 combat system.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here is playing Mage Knight? I'm tempted by the new Ultimate Edition. Apparently it's really great as a solo game, which is why I'm interested in it. Some even say it's one of the best solo gaming experience out there.

The art seems generally a bit bland though. And the included painted miniatures look absolutely awful. I mean, look at that:

687474703a2f2f626f6172646f66706c6179696e672e636f6d2f776f726470726573732f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031322f30312f6d6167652e6a7067
I finally got to play Mage Knight recently (a truly excellent game), but my SO was so angry at this mini that I decided to draw her some pants with a marker. The amateurish work just makes it seem more like an official product. There's still one card with the thong art, but I've decided to keep it as is for now.

20200209_1547445uko3.jpg

I couldn't do anything about the face. There's no salvaging that one.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I finally got to play Mage Knight recently (a truly excellent game), but my SO was so angry at this mini that I decided to draw her some pants with a marker. The amateurish work just makes it seem more like an official product. There's still one card with the thong art, but I've decided to keep it as is for now.

20200209_1547445uko3.jpg

I couldn't do anything about the face. There's no salvaging that one.

Good job on the pants, it's a much needed modification! But yeah, like you say there's nothing that can be done fo the rest of the mini... it is SO awful. This one is the worst, but all the other character minis are also very ugly. I usually don't use them at all. Like I said earlier, meeples would be better than these minis! What I ended up using are standees from Gloomhaven that look like the general idea of the characters. It looks a lot better.

Absolutely wonderful game, though!

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Between the price, the AoS quality, and the sleazy marketing stretch goals, this campaign broke the camel's back for me and EGG.

What's up with the Age of Steam quality? Haven't heard from anyone about that.

I've been very skeptical of EGG's commitment to quality since Escape Plan, and they claim they are "taking feedback and fixing issues", but if these things keep shipping with issues....

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
So I posted this on the Discord but I thought to also share this thing here. For fun, I made one of those "pick one from each section" thing that everyone seems to be doing on Twitter for board games. I'm already planning a part 2 since I know I left out a lot of popular games like Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Codenames, and more. For now, here's what I made:
25PeJRN.png

Personally I'd go 3H1. How about you guys?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
What's up with the Age of Steam quality? Haven't heard from anyone about that.

I've been very skeptical of EGG's commitment to quality since Escape Plan, and they claim they are "taking feedback and fixing issues", but if these things keep shipping with issues....

My poker chips are rubbing off after two plays, the inserts are terrible, and maps have misprints.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So I posted this on the Discord but I thought to also share this thing here. For fun, I made one of those "pick one from each section" thing that everyone seems to be doing on Twitter for board games. I'm already planning a part 2 since I know I left out a lot of popular games like Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Codenames, and more. For now, here's what I made:
25PeJRN.png

If I absolutely have to choose, 3B1.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What a neat little idea. I'd go 5C6. I've not played Dominion but I love deck builders so it got my vote. The last row was tricky as I have Scythe, Gloomhaven, and Tainted Grail but have been unable to play any of them yet. They all seem pretty great but Grail has my interest the most.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
25PeJRN.png

6G8

But depending on the day I might also pick Carcasssone. I dont think I will ever be tired of that game.

Oct 25, 2017
25PeJRN.png

2g9

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
25PeJRN.png

0G0.. two classics and maybe a modern classic. Third row is hardest for me to pick.

Oct 25, 2017

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
25PeJRN.png

2G7 is the king.

Oct 28, 2017
25PeJRN.png

2g7
You, I like.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to try some of these geekbits. I was going to buy the Mombasa ones but they don't include the expansion. :(

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
played tokyo tsukiji market this past weekend, really loved that game.

Currently Maracaibo is heavy on the rotation, even the GF loves it.

Sierra West, Hadara, Wingspan, and Parks getting lots of play too.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
25PeJRN.png

4H2 is likely my ideal order
with 6D7 being what I would choose with a certain group.