• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderlands War is on Kickstarter tomorrow. I am allllll in on it.
Although it'll be 6+ months late sadly, Skybound / Druid City are always so late

Last edited:

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the Age of Steam quality? Haven't heard from anyone about that.

I've been very skeptical of EGG's commitment to quality since Escape Plan, and they claim they are "taking feedback and fixing issues", but if these things keep shipping with issues....
There were a lot of misprint on Age of Steam map. It's kinda annoying because it suppose to be deluxe and we paid premium price for them.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Some quick thoughts I have about the overall answers people have given:
-I've gotten more votes for Uno than Exploding Kittens, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
-I underestimated how many people would pick Azul in the middle row. Though it does have its fair share of votes, I thought Carcassonne was gonna be the runaway favorite.
-Likewise, I thought Wingspan was gonna run away with the bottom row.
-Finally, I got a lot more feedback than I thought I would, and that's pretty cool to me.

I do have a good idea about what 30 games will be featured in round 2, but I'll give it a day or 2 to think it over before I present it. It honestly might result in a round 3 since so many games will have to be left out.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Do we have any Pixel Tactics fans here? Was considering picking up some of the other versions(I have mega man), and while I'm tempted by the other two in that line I'm also tempted by the core unlicensed version, and was wondering if there was a set deal with multiple of them, as there's more flexibility and flavor with those over just the licensed spinoff

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any Pixel Tactics fans here? Was considering picking up some of the other versions(I have mega man), and while I'm tempted by the other two in that line I'm also tempted by the core unlicensed version, and was wondering if there was a set deal with multiple of them, as there's more flexibility and flavor with those over just the licensed spinoff
It suffers from the same bloat as other Level 99 games once you start adding content. I almost never play it anymore, but it's still a solid design. Honestly if anything, the glut of content hurts the concept more than anything because it's such a nice small game. I would never mix sets, and deck building with multiple sets is a bad idea (though I'm sure enjoyable for some). Each set usually has its own mechanic/gimmick and I don't know how much that crosses over with the Mega Man line.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It suffers from the same bloat as other Level 99 games once you start adding content. I almost never play it anymore, but it's still a solid design. Honestly if anything, the glut of content hurts the concept more than anything because it's such a nice small game. I would never mix sets, and deck building with multiple sets is a bad idea (though I'm sure enjoyable for some). Each set usually has its own mechanic/gimmick and I don't know how much that crosses over with the Mega Man line.
Megaman line is simpler, not by a ton but by a touch, and I think it may be more mix friendly as a result. I'm thinking finishing out that trio may be easier as it's the newest full boxes so it was built around the modern rules and they didn't get as iterative as the main line with all 3 coming out within a year. Also was poking around and it seems the main pixel tactics series is still alive. Shrug, simplest solution is sticking to those 3 and putting them in a random deck box I have for travel right now, XD. Plus it's one unified theme with each box pulling from a different set of games.

Oct 25, 2017
I am in as well. I doubt we will get 5000 backers in the first two days. That is pretty ambitious.
Yeah that seems like a lot. I also hate the X backers or back in first X to get something

I've saved it. In general, though, I'm not fond of minis. I don't paint, it doesn't look appealing to me with lots of grey plastic on the table, no matter how good the sculpts are.
I also am not a fan of the grey, I hope there is a stretch goal for preprinted. I may end up just using the cardboard ones because I like the art better.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that seems like a lot. I also hate the X backers or back in first X to get something

I also am not a fan of the grey, I hope there is a stretch goal for preprinted. I may end up just using the cardboard ones because I like the art better.

I'm not fond of First X type goals either, since I feel penalized for not finding out about the Kickstarter sooner.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
Well Marvel United got me. It still looks fairly simplistic but there is a little more there than I expected. Plus... I have a soft spot for Marvel. CMON might as well keep my card on file since they are supposed to do DBZ some time this year as well with IDW.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Well Marvel United got me. It still looks fairly simplistic but there is a little more there than I expected. Plus... I have a soft spot for Marvel. CMON might as well keep my card on file since they are supposed to do DBZ some time this year as well with IDW.

That art.. It could be the greatest game in the world. I just personally hate that art style.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No idea if it's still up but Target and Amazon had a B2G1 going on with board games. Got Villainous and Jumanji

When does Bloodborne start shipping?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No idea if it's still up but Target and Amazon had a B2G1 going on with board games. Got Villainous and Jumanji

When does Bloodborne start shipping?
I think it's up all week. Jaws should still be about $12, and the deal works on pre-ordering the upcoming Villainous expansion (shipping only).

As for Bloodborne TBG, there's no solid window outside of their initial July(?) estimate. That can change in their next update once they figure where they are at after Chinese New Year, but who knows how the Corona Virus outbreak will affect manufacturing, inspections, and shipping. I haven't heard of any projects getting any delays in that relation, but the international community is still in the process of responding to the situation.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That art.. It could be the greatest game in the world. I just personally hate that art style.

Same. And I don't even mind chibi, this is just bad chibi.

Took a look at Wonderland and I didn't even make it halfway through the how to play. A game with this theme is something that would be casually played by my fiance and I, so with it being minimum of three players and so much going on I'm just not interested at all. Fantastic visual presentation though, and I can easily see why others would be totally on board but it's just not what I'm looking for with that theme.

On a more positive note, I watched Vasel's review of Oceans and I'm very interested in that one. Anyone know the difference between the normal and limited editions?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
As for Bloodborne TBG, there's no solid window outside of their initial July(?) estimate. That can change in their next update once they figure where they are at after Chinese New Year, but who knows how the Corona Virus outbreak will affect manufacturing, inspections, and shipping. I haven't heard of any projects getting any delays in that relation, but the international community is still in the process of responding to the situation.

old.reddit.com

Restoration Games is reporting that NO game manufacturers in China are permitted to be open and working at this time.

While this is insignificant in real life and in comparison to the issues that the Chinese (and other people around the world) are facing. It is...

This publisher is saying that all manufacturing in China is closed, with a few exceptions (board games not being one of them). If this is true, it's probably safe to assume that everything is going to get pushed back however long this closure takes.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for Marvel United because:

1) I'm a sucker for Marvel stuff.
2) My youngest will be five by the time it gets here, he loves superheroes, and most of the cards are symbols rather than words, so he'll at least be able to "play" mostly on his own without needing advanced reading skills.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Game had about as much depth as a puddle of piss drying in the sun. It was sold on the minis with the game being an after thought. I played it once and would have had more fun reading a rulebook.
Your hyperbole is downright tiring sometimes.

I haven't played Grimm Forest, but just watched a bit of the Dice Tower review, and Tom was pretty hot on it for a family game. Sounds like the mechanics tie in pretty thematically to the subject matter as well. It's probably too light for my tastes, but that doesn't mean that it's not good, just not for me.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
There are much better family games out there. After the brief fervour about it when it was fulfilled it sank like a stone.
Then suggest one of those.

I don't know much about Grimm Forest, but it looks like it has some take-that. So maybe Villainous would be a better choice with a pretty similar theme.

Last edited:

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the SUSD review of King's Dilemma.

My copy is still sealed. I have to get my group to play this game! Anyone else tried it yet?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How is Arkham Horror 3E? Been so long since I played the old game and used to love it but sold my copy with how long games sometimes ended up lasting. How did 3E turn out, any improvements to the game?

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
How is Arkham Horror 3E? Been so long since I played the old game and used to love it but sold my copy with how long games sometimes ended up lasting. How did 3E turn out, any improvements to the game?
It's a different beast from Arkham 2. I'd watch some reviews first. Opinions are mixed. I personally didn't like it and sticking with Eldritch Horror, but I only played once and honestly don't remember it that well. I'm also one of the seemingly rare people who hated the card game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I still like Eldritch Horror for my streamlined AH experience, I just forgot 3E of AH came out and wondered if it just fell flat or got lost in the shuffle of other similar games.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Can anyone speak about Pax Transhumanity? I own Pax Pamir 2e (love it), I was able to acquire Pax Ren through a math trade (haven't gotten it to the table, but it's my favorite form factor ever for a game this meaty), and I think Pax Transhumanity will nicely complete my Pax collection. I just need pushed over the edge.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017

My copy is still sealed. I have to get my group to play this game! Anyone else tried it yet?
My wife and I are playing this with another couple and we're really enjoying it. The system is really easy to understand, but honestly we're just all along for the ride. I think I would hate to play this with gamers who were actively trying to min/max things to win. It feels like good role-playing, but the mechanics of the bidding/voting and "resource" managament are actually really fun.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone speak about Pax Transhumanity? I own Pax Pamir 2e (love it), I was able to acquire Pax Ren through a math trade (haven't gotten it to the table, but it's my favorite form factor ever for a game this meaty), and I think Pax Transhumanity will nicely complete my Pax collection. I just need pushed over the edge.

The Pax games (that aren't Pamir) have varying degrees of unfortunate nuttery and psuedoscience/psuedohistory that colors a lot of its theming, and doesn't come off as something just for laughs.

I looked into Pax Transhumanity and found some pretty questionable things that I decided not to give my money to.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
The Pax games (that aren't Pamir) have varying degrees of unfortunate nuttery and psuedoscience/psuedohistory that colors a lot of its theming, and doesn't come off as something just for laughs.

I looked into Pax Transhumanity and found some pretty questionable things that I decided not to give my money to.

I know it's opinions and all that, but Space Biff's review stated the most questionable parts come from the footnotes, but he doesn't think the Eklundism is so prevalent with this one.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's opinions and all that, but Space Biff's review stated the most questionable parts come from the footnotes, but he doesn't think the Eklundism is so prevalent with this one.

I listened to another review that goes more into the topic and I think space biff is handwaving a lot (I read his review too)

If it ultimately doesn't bother you, that's one thing, but I've tried and failed with a couple of Eklund games now. I love "edutainment" and I would appreciate the loads of detail and headspinning jargon that goes into these games, if it weren't for the preachy inclusions of quack science (such as climate change denial) and provocative hot takes about history ("colonialism was good for India")

Pamir largely (or entirely) stays free from that nonsense, which might have something to do with why it's a runaway hit now.

Last edited:

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017

I've got friends that are playing it over Discord and that are quite enjoying it. They've got a full compliment of five players with sixth person being the game owner acting as moderator. Each day they get a dilemma, they role play and bicker back and forth and post gifs to each other, then vote by the end of the day.

They've been playing since November and it's been a great way for them to interact since everyone's busy with families/jobs and they're spread across two different cities.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

I've been pretty excited about King's Dilemma ever since SVWAG spoke up so positively about it. I don't know when I'll be able to get it on the table though since my group meets up pretty infrequently and everyone else is very much a light gamer (although I'm trying to change that). Anyways, this game and It's a Wonderful World are the two 2019 games that I've been the most interested in.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a copy of Heroes of Stalingrad arriving today. Been gettin' more into World War history lately so I thought this might scratch my itch for WW2 themed war game. I plan on picking up Memoir 44 and several expansions once they get reprinted (I haven't found any in stock).

Though, if I have Battlelore 2e is it a bit redundant to grab Memoir 44? Outside of the theming it seems Battlelore is an improvement over Memoir 44. I'm also looking at maybe getting a copy of either Command and Colors Ancients or Napoleonics. Kind of torn since they all share the core C&C mechanic but with a different theming.

And I still need to get around to not only opening, but playing my copy of Julius Caesar.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pixel tactics was a success with my sister! But I definitely want more options than a mirror match so I think I'll pick up the other 2 Megaman pixel tactics(feel they were probably scaled better mechanically than the base versions as they came out as a set of 3 in one year after the first 5 base pixel tactics games)

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I've got a copy of Heroes of Stalingrad arriving today. Been gettin' more into World War history lately so I thought this might scratch my itch for WW2 themed war game. I plan on picking up Memoir 44 and several expansions once they get reprinted (I haven't found any in stock).
Or you can get a hardcore wargame like Stalingrad '42. I just picked it up and it looks scrumptious (although I have no idea when I'll ever be able to get it to the table).

Though, if I have Battlelore 2e is it a bit redundant to grab Memoir 44? Outside of the theming it seems Battlelore is an improvement over Memoir 44. I'm also looking at maybe getting a copy of either Command and Colors Ancients or Napoleonics. Kind of torn since they all share the core C&C mechanic but with a different theming.

And I still need to get around to not only opening, but playing my copy of Julius Caesar.
For what it's worth, the Napoleonics game is probably the most complex of the bunch. If you have any interest in the era then I think it's a pretty easy choice. I've pondered getting it for a while but I ended up putting it off for a few reasons. The first is that I'd rather play a more grognardy game over a light wargame like this, next it's a two-player game and that doesn't fit my game nights, and finally the assembly time is daunting. Napoleonics and Ancients have over 300 double-sided blocks which means that you'll have to attach two stickers on each of these blocks and that can take a while.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I made a second one with different games. Don't think I'll make a 3rd.
SHkCJ6a.png

I'm 3E7.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't participate in the first one, but 4F5. I don't have a large group of friends to play Codenames with, so I'd probably swap that out with the Duet version.