• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I posted this on the Discord but I thought to also share this thing here. For fun, I made one of those "pick one from each section" thing that everyone seems to be doing on Twitter for board games. I'm already planning a part 2 since I know I left out a lot of popular games like Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Codenames, and more. For now, here's what I made:
25PeJRN.png

Personally I'd go 3H1. How about you guys?

4H4

Hanabi and For Sale are both great.
RftG is one of my top five games.
I like Terraforming Mars and FCM the best of the bottom row, but I'm not a huge fan of either.

I made a second one with different games. Don't think I'll make a 3rd.
SHkCJ6a.png

I'm 3E7.

This one is harder. Probably 4J0.

I wouldn't turn down any of Century Spice Road, Codenames, Jaipur, and No Thanks!
I don't like anything on the second row apart from Dixit.
It's a toss up between Power Grid and Terra Mystica for the best game, but I've had so many more great experiences with the former.

Dec 1, 2017
Here's hoping that some Gorm and DBK expansions get restocked on the KDM website today.

I'll probably be too slow if they do restock :(

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone's a fan of Cave Evil, Warcults or The Mushroom Eaters, they've put out a free P&P version of their new magazine game thanks to Fangoria Magazine entitled Don't Let the Wolves Eat Our Baby. Intended for 18+.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
I always forget about this thread, gonna sub to it now.

Here are some impressions of games I played so far this year:

Gloomhaven: We have a weekly Gloomhaven group going on since January 2019 and ate reaching the end of the base game next week, as we run out of scenarios. We played around 55 by then and played 4 characters each, if nothing surprising happens. All I can say is that I love the game and we enjoyed the whole journey. The card based action system is awesome and has a great depth to it and the characters really feel different. The expansion is also ready to go and we will directly continue with it. Also still need to tackle some of the solo scenarios as well.

Champions of Midgard plus expansions: I was tempted to buy Champions of Midgard a couple of times over the last year, because in reviews and on paper (rules) it sounded like my kind of game. I heard from a lot of people that you should play it only with the expansions, especially with the Valhalla one, because the game gets better then.
After playing it, I have to say I'm glad that I did not buy it, even on sale. It's an ok game, but all that sounded exciting about it was only just very solid and nothing out of the ordinary. The Valhalla expansion gives you a glorified shop with some new cards and let's you think a bit who you want to fight monsters with or if you want certain fighters to die for the Valhalla currency. It's a nice addition, but especially in larger groups it makes the downtime bigger as well. The mountain expansio is just more of the same stuff. And the base game is just a solid worker placement with some randomness to it. I liked the ship part though. All in all money saved and I would probably play it, if I was asked to join a round.

Trickerion: I finally got the chance to try Trickerion. A friend of mine bought it on sale and I'm pissed at myself to not buy it as well. The components are very nice and I love the art. Most of the game is a solid worker placement, but the theater bit is just great. Lots of consideration what tricks to go for, which tricks to place on what plan and when to make a show and when just to profit from other players. So good. Also the game is so strong with it's theme, I love it. Getting tricks, the materials to prepare them, the preparation etc. It just feels super good. I can't wait to play it again and my friend is getting all the expansions.

Conspiracy: Abyss Universe: I love Abyss. It's one of my favorite games, a great entry level game I always bring around and I'm a sucker for it's art. Conspiracy is 70% reoccurring mechanics from Abyss in sub 30 minutes with 5 minutes of explanation. I played it with 2 and 4 players so far and it works great with both. Working on your Senate chambers gives you several options to get points and especially with 4 players you have to watch out what they pick and place in front of them. Such a neat little box for 15 euro. Was worth the wait, after they didn't have the games in Essen.

7 Wonders: Last meetup we played 7 Wonders again. I haven't played the regular game in a couple of years and it was still an ok experience. I still prefer Duel over the big game, as it is just the better game and more on point.

A fistful of meeples: I'm a sucker for Mancala type games and Five Tribes is still one of my favorites, so this game peeked my interest. It's a bit fiddly at first, until you know what each color of meeples does, but then it's a quick fun. The theme is there, it's fun to bust out all bandits and to for a robbery. The showdown is a stupid and fun little element as well. The game didn't hold up it's promise of 30 minutes, but it's still good on ending itself with dead meeples, dynamite or gold. And this is a big strength of it. If it would be over an hour, it would overstay it's welcome. My group wants to play it again next meetup, that's a good sign.

Skull Kings: we played it during new year with some Cuba Libre and Strong Zeros. Still a great game. The cards are pretty filthy at this point, because we only play it at festivals and when partying. Guess I'll gift my friends a couple of copies for his birthday.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Trickerion: I finally got the chance to try Trickerion. A friend of mine bought it on sale and I'm pissed at myself to not buy it as well. The components are very nice and I love the art. Most of the game is a solid worker placement, but the theater bit is just great. Lots of consideration what tricks to go for, which tricks to place on what plan and when to make a show and when just to profit from other players. So good. Also the game is so strong with it's theme, I love it. Getting tricks, the materials to prepare them, the preparation etc. It just feels super good. I can't wait to play it again and my friend is getting all the expansions.

Trickerion is an incredible game. The rules overhead is nuts in regards to the Theater but if you can get past that it's one of the best and challenging worker placement games out there. Easily a top 10 game.

Last edited:

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Awesome thread! Wife and I just started getting into board games / dice games. Been playing:

Pandemic- a bit weird playing it during an actual outbreak, but absolutely love the game. Really like that it's cooperative. My Wife doesn't usually enjoy long versus games, so this is perfect. It has enough strategy and depth for us to be deeply interested, yet not frustratingly complicated.

Roll With it! - simple dice game that is super easy to teach and play. We love it, although my dice luck is garbage tier. I think I've lost about 6-7 games in a row right now.

Sushi Go - Funny card-based game. It excels with more than two people for sure. Also love this one because it's pretty straightforward and the cards are damn cute. Hahah

So era, what are some of your fave coop games? Looking for some the wife and I can play in the evenings!

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome thread! Wife and I just started getting into board games / dice games. Been playing:

Pandemic- a bit weird playing it during an actual outbreak, but absolutely love the game. Really like that it's cooperative. My Wife doesn't usually enjoy long versus games, so this is perfect. It has enough strategy and depth for us to be deeply interested, yet not frustratingly complicated.

Roll With it! - simple dice game that is super easy to teach and play. We love it, although my dice luck is garbage tier. I think I've lost about 6-7 games in a row right now.

Sushi Go - Funny card-based game. It excels with more than two people for sure. Also love this one because it's pretty straightforward and the cards are damn cute. Hahah

So era, what are some of your fave coop games? Looking for some the wife and I can play in the evenings!

If you want a great alternative to Sushi Go that I think works great at 2 players look into Point Salad. Also Targi is my all time favorite 2 player only game.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

The best pure coop out there is probably Spirit Island. It's quite a bit more complex than the games on your list but it's oh so rewarding once you get going. Also, if you're looking for a good 2-player drafting game you can try out It's a Wonderful World. It's not very complex but it's very thinky and it wholly replaces games like 7 Wonders and Sushi Go for me.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these play well 2p:

Lighter (similar weight as Pandemic):
- Aeon's End: my favorite coop deck-builder. Each session is a boss fight, and the various bosses provide a lot of variety to the game. There is a lot of additional content to this series.
- Legends of Andor: an efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy puzzle, I had a blast playing this with my SO. Going through the entire trilogy makes for a fun narrative (but it is not a story-heavy game/series).

Heavier than Pandemic:
-Spirit Island: probably my fav coop game. It has that invasion spreading feel of Pandemic, but significantly more complex (the rules aren't too bad, it's more the tough decisions).
-Gloomhaven: a dungeon-crawler campaign. Be warned that this game is huge, maybe too huge and can be overwhelming.
-Robinson Crusoe: coop survival on a deserted island. Lots of rules, but lots of fun!
-Arkham Horror the Card Game: my favorite narrative game of the lot. The campaigns are great, but this game can get quite expensive if you're thinking about getting extra campaigns/stories.
-Mage Knight: a fantasy romp similar to Heroes of Might & Magic, you roam the countryside recruiting units and exploring. Fantastic card management, but lots of rules also

Oct 26, 2017
Also consider Horrified for a more streamlined Pandemic with adjustable difficulty in the form of the monsters you select and how many.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Trickerion is an incredible game. The rules overhead is nuts in regards to the Theater but if you can get past that it's one of the best and challenging worker placement games out there. Easily a top 10 game.

I think it does a really great job explaining itself thanks to the lite version for new players as well. Making it shorter and cutting the black market and magician abilities for the first game, makes it a fairly simple worker placement that only hints at what it can do in a longer game with more tricks and the full theater experience.
I was fairly amazed by how quick you can explain the game to people who are familiar with the worker placement part as well. Most of the actions are super basic and the action points and modifiers for your workers feel very natural. I explained the full game in like 20 minutes, where 15 was just the theater part and some hints in regards to what you have to plan and can do in it.

I will say, don't let your impressions of CoM sour you on Reavers of Midgard. It's a much tighter game, flows much better, and there isn't really much downtime for anyone.
Yea I will give that a chance as well sometime soon. Luckily we have some people at our meetup that basicall buy everything that is new or looks good and there are a couple of Reavers around. I mean we played Champions with 5 people, which I will never do again, I can see it working pretty well with 3-4 and all of them except one person were new to the game as well. That probably increased the time as well. It was just that most actions sounded more exciting than they were. Especially the monster fighting. I think that was in some parts because of the first expansion, which just added more of them and because there was less planning to the fighting in general, even though the planning part gets better with Valhalla.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Any thoughts on Viticulture? Thinking of picking up essential edition and Tuscany? Super light?

Kind of a fun beer and pretzels kind of Worker Placement. Easy for people to pick up, but if you are a serious strategy gamer, the visitor cards are very swingy and can put a bad taste in your mouth. Add to the fact that you can win without making the wine, and you'll find a couple of issues. All told, it's a really fun light middle WP.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Because people already mentioned most of the coop games I would recommend I am only going with Last Bastion.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well look what I got in(already had the blue one)
xtbCbgg.jpg

affeinvasion havent taken a deep look but it seems each set it's more if they upped the complexity rather than do a full gimmick, like the second and third added operations and some more complicated abilities(protoman has attract in vanguard, Bass can copy the abilities of the top card of the discard relative to his position), so they should still mix well(not that I plan to do deck building but I mean so I don't have to play mirror matches). I'll see about posting some picks of some of the cooler ones. Edit: oh and 3(Orange/bass) added trap cards

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After being pretty critical of Monolith's last couple of KS ventures, the new Conan is exactly the type of stuff I've been wanting to see.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Well look what I got in(already had the blue one)
xtbCbgg.jpg

affeinvasion havent taken a deep look but it seems each set it's more if they upped the complexity rather than do a full gimmick, like the second and third added operations and some more complicated abilities(protoman has attract in vanguard, Bass can copy the abilities of the top card of the discard relative to his position), so they should still mix well(not that I plan to do deck building but I mean so I don't have to play mirror matches). I'll see about posting some picks of some of the cooler ones. Edit: oh and 3(Orange/bass) added trap cards
I still think the game is much better with identical decks and the bigger the decks get, the less you can plan for. That being said, it's a casual enough game that just mixing things should still be fun.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I still think the game is much better with identical decks and the bigger the decks get, the less you can plan for. That being said, it's a casual enough game that just mixing things should still be fun.
I mean I was just thinking I'd use a Protoman deck while my friend uses the Megaman deck. So it's not a mirror match

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If you want a great alternative to Sushi Go that I think works great at 2 players look into Point Salad. Also Targi is my all time favorite 2 player only game.
Ah Point Salad does look like a great option!

The best pure coop out there is probably Spirit Island. It's quite a bit more complex than the games on your list but it's oh so rewarding once you get going. Also, if you're looking for a good 2-player drafting game you can try out It's a Wonderful World. It's not very complex but it's very thinky and it wholly replaces games like 7 Wonders and Sushi Go for me.
Watched a couple vides on Spirit Island, and it does indeed seem awesome. Thanks.

All these play well 2p:

Lighter (similar weight as Pandemic):
- Aeon's End: my favorite coop deck-builder. Each session is a boss fight, and the various bosses provide a lot of variety to the game. There is a lot of additional content to this series.
- Legends of Andor: an efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy puzzle, I had a blast playing this with my SO. Going through the entire trilogy makes for a fun narrative (but it is not a story-heavy game/series).

Heavier than Pandemic:
-Spirit Island: probably my fav coop game. It has that invasion spreading feel of Pandemic, but significantly more complex (the rules aren't too bad, it's more the tough decisions).
-Gloomhaven: a dungeon-crawler campaign. Be warned that this game is huge, maybe too huge and can be overwhelming.
-Robinson Crusoe: coop survival on a deserted island. Lots of rules, but lots of fun!
-Arkham Horror the Card Game: my favorite narrative game of the lot. The campaigns are great, but this game can get quite expensive if you're thinking about getting extra campaigns/stories.
-Mage Knight: a fantasy romp similar to Heroes of Might & Magic, you roam the countryside recruiting units and exploring. Fantastic card management, but lots of rules also
All these look awesome as well. Thanks!

Ya'll came through for someone who has no idea wtf they might like! haha. Can't wait to report back once I play a few of these :)

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Ah Point Salad does look like a great option!

Watched a couple vides on Spirit Island, and it does indeed seem awesome. Thanks.

All these look awesome as well. Thanks!

Ya'll came through for someone who has no idea wtf they might like! haha. Can't wait to report back once I play a few of these :)

If you like Star Wars and don't mind using an app. You can also play Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Such a fun dungeon crawler. Basically a small version of Gloomhaven and no permanent changes/legacy stuff.

It's surprisingly easy to learn and the theme just oozes Star Wars. I love it. There's also a Lord of the Rings version but I haven't tried it.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on vacation right now, but I've been told that my copy of Bites, the 3rd game from BoardGameTables, arrived. I need to check the contents ASAP as they reported that some ant meeples broke and need replacing.

Anyone else get a copy and run into this problem?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on vacation right now, but I've been told that my copy of Bites, the 3rd game from BoardGameTables, arrived. I need to check the contents ASAP as they reported that some ant meeples broke and need replacing.

Anyone else get a copy and run into this problem?

Sorry that happened, but for some reason I read this post and expected you to say the box inexplicably got filled with real ants

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry that happened, but for some reason I read this post and expected you to say the box inexplicably got filled with real ants
Nah I didn't pledge at that level. If my box does contain broken meeples, maybe I could use my Homestar Runner ones as temporary replacements.

Now for something completely different, digital tabletop games are once again the genre of the latest Humble Bundle. Games like Reigns, Gremlins inc, Terraforming Mars, and Slay the Spire are included.
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Digital Tabletop Bundle 2

Say goodbye to boredom with a bundle full of boardless board and card games!

Which reminds me that when I'm back from vacation that I need to give away my extra copies from previous bundles away.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If you like Star Wars and don't mind using an app. You can also play Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Such a fun dungeon crawler. Basically a small version of Gloomhaven and no permanent changes/legacy stuff.

It's surprisingly easy to learn and the theme just oozes Star Wars. I love it. There's also a Lord of the Rings version but I haven't tried it.
That looks badass! Thanks for the recommendation.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Having to return to sender for any defects or missing pieces is gonna make it really hard for me justify buying from anywhere other than Amazon. It just costs too much to ship games.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It really seems like a big headache for everyone but Asmodee. It also sours me on wanting to buy much from them anymore.

FFG was my favorite publisher when I first got into board games and it really sucks to see what has happened to them since they were bought. They've become the Blizzard of the board game industry for me.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, between that and divesting ALL of their rpg licenses, I'm really struggling to see how FFG plans to stay afloat long term.