• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
And I'd suggest on The Gathering to read Act 2 very carefully, lots of people either advance that act at an incorrect time or do the actions that lead into Act 3 incorrectly.

For that matter there's a few places where I'd seen tips about commonly misplayed rules, might be worth looking for one; when I get home I'll try to remember to link one.
It's definitely very easy to play the wrong way and there's a few systems that a deceptively complex. Engaging, evading and attacks of opportunity are things I'm only fully understanding now and I'm half way through the Dunwich Legacy campaign.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Ages is live. I am in... Maybe for both maps.

www.kickstarter.com

Dark Ages

An epic civilization miniature game set in Medieval Europe: fast-playing and modern, lavishly illustrated, and based on real history!

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Finally grabbed New California expansion for Fallout. Excited to give it a shot!

Anyone else play the game and have any good house rules to fix the endgame woes?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
For that matter there's a few places where I'd seen tips about commonly misplayed rules, might be worth looking for one; when I get home I'll try to remember to link one.

Here's a few BGG threads:

boardgamegeek.com

Easily Missed Rules | Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I've been reading through the glossary and wanted to make a post detailing rules that may come up only occasionally, but could easily be missed when they do. This is, at the very least, for my own reference. I am updating this post regularly with suggestions from the comment
boardgamegeek.com

Rules you still get wrong after 50+ plays | Arkham Horror: The Card Game

It surprises me to no end that I am still missing (or forgetting) certain rules even after 50+ plays, like: - Weakness card goes in your hand by default, not in the discard area - abilities on encounter-typed Weakness cards can be triggered by other investigators, so other player can pay
boardgamegeek.com

Arkham Horror Common Mistakes | Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi all. First off, really digging Arkham Horror. It's one of the first fully cooperative games that my gaming group has caught on to. I'm currently trying to introduce it to as many gaming communities around my area, so I decided to collect a database of Frequently Committed
boardgamegeek.com

Common scenario mistakes - core set | Arkham Horror: The Card Game

After making tons of tiny mistakes over my many playthroughs of AH:LCG I decided to compile a list of common things one might miss which potentially have a huge impact on the game. I peruse this list whenever I replay a scenario after some time has past, especially since

The last is scenario-specific, and therefore spoilery; might want to save that until after you've done one playthrough!

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Finally grabbed New California expansion for Fallout. Excited to give it a shot!

Anyone else play the game and have any good house rules to fix the endgame woes?
I think one of the scenario is co-op in that expansion. There are co-op expansion coming out. Making the game competitive with totally lame end game condition sort of kill this game for us even though all of us love Fallout.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
We made sure we were careful as possible by using tables away from the crowds and only nipping back and forth for food/toilets. We kept ourselves as isolated a possible just incase. UK Games Expo is still on for May at the moment but I feel that's going to be cancelled at this rate. We've got an Airbnb that we were going to use to game but we are playing it by ear at the moment. The UK approach to matters at the moment is simply to pretend it isn't on going at the moment. Hell I'm in work and the only difference between a normal working day is people are washing their hands for a little bit longer.
UK U-TURN

at last were getting serious.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the scenario is co-op in that expansion. There are co-op expansion coming out. Making the game competitive with totally lame end game condition sort of kill this game for us even though all of us love Fallout.

I read one house rule that basically made you play the track out until the end. I also play solo, so the competitive stuff doesn't impact me as much.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought an "all-in" Arena: The Contest pledge for $132. It wasn't necessarily high on my list of priorities but I couldn't say no at that price. It should keep me occupied through any self-isolation period.

Last edited:

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Oh good! Enjoy, it's been so much fun. I would look up rules on "committing cards" vs playing them, it's a major rule that I screwed up for the first round of the campaign.
Ended up playing the first mission twice because I got to the final boss before I realized I had cheated and ignored the investigator symbol on the clue requirements on the first two acts.

Second time around Roland went down against the boss but got a parting shot off by sacrificing his buddy cop. Agnes went ham with a baseball bat and Lita's help to score the last 5 hp just after 3 more ghouls spawned in the room with her.

Good times. Kinda late now so I'm going to resolve Roland's headache and the leveling up tomorrow but I'm looking forward to whatever is next.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Ended up playing the first mission twice because I got to the final boss before I realized I had cheated and ignored the investigator symbol on the clue requirements on the first two acts.

Second time around Roland went down against the boss but got a parting shot off by sacrificing his buddy cop. Agnes went ham with a baseball bat and Lita's help to score the last 5 hp just after 3 more ghouls spawned in the room with her.

Good times. Kinda late now so I'm going to resolve Roland's headache and the leveling up tomorrow but I'm looking forward to whatever is next.
Exciting! You always leave the scenarios with some nail biting story that feels pretty unique. You're going to love Midnight Masks, it's so good! Keep me updated.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Looks like all my local gaming events are cancelled, gaming stores closed to everything but orders and I think my local store will absolutely go under.

All this from where we were a week ago when everyone was BAU.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everdell expansions will be arriving Thursday. No one to play with since I'm in quarantine and we shut down our community group for the time being, but I'm excited to have them on hand to shake up the normal game without turning to Pearlbrook.

I'm curious to see if any major Kickstarters will delay in their launch due to the pandemic.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters!

This game won the prestigious Kinderspiel des Jahres award in 2014. I almost imported a German version back then but decided against it. I kind of forgot about it until I saw it on sale for $20 a few years later in English.

Four players need to navigate a haunted house as a team and gather up the gems inside, eliminating ghosts along the way. As every turn passes, more and more ghosts spawn throughout the house. If 3 ghosts spawn in the same room, it is haunted. A haunting takes 2 players to eliminate it. If 6 rooms are ever haunted at once, game over.

This game ain't easy. Poor dice rolls will tie up characters and allow rooms to reach haunted status faster than your team can cope. You have to balance fighting ghosts and gathering jewels. Once the scales start tipping against you, the game escalates exponentially. We lost one of our games tonight with my wife on the doorstep to victory, a single square away from the win.

The game is colorful, thematic, and has high production value. It's always a nail biter and we love our cooperative games. Highly recommended, especially if you have kids.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I'm going to host my game night on youtube due to quarantine, this will be something. I'll be limited to party games and coop games that can be played through the comments.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to host my game night on youtube due to quarantine, this will be something. I'll be limited to party games and coop games that can be played through the comments.
I've been pondering how to continue my weekly work game lunchtimes through Teams, which games can work in that environment.

For now I've at least locked down Codenames (with a bit of sending private information) and Incan Gold. Pandemic probably *could* - if we stick to the teaching rules of having your cards exposed - but probably tough to actually get all the necessary info out to the players. Besides, it's probably not a topic we want to be going to for a bit!

Oct 25, 2017
Everdell expansions will be arriving Thursday. No one to play with since I'm in quarantine and we shut down our community group for the time being, but I'm excited to have them on hand to shake up the normal game without turning to Pearlbrook.

I'm curious to see if any major Kickstarters will delay in their launch due to the pandemic.

I haven't got to try the expansions either for same reason. Hoping to get some family gaming in at least while all this is going on

I'm sure a ton of kickstarters are gonna be late. Curious when they'll finally start admitting it haha. Also curious to see how many big debuts at gen con won't be there

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I've been pondering how to continue my weekly work game lunchtimes through Teams, which games can work in that environment.

For now I've at least locked down Codenames (with a bit of sending private information) and Incan Gold. Pandemic probably *could* - if we stick to the teaching rules of having your cards exposed - but probably tough to actually get all the necessary info out to the players. Besides, it's probably not a topic we want to be going to for a bit!
I'm actually borrowing Pandemic from a friend to play it on stream lol.

But how would you do Incan Gold? It would be tough to keep track of who's in and who's out!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually borrowing Pandemic from a friend to play it on stream lol.

But how would you do Incan Gold? It would be tough to keep track of who's in and who's out!

Would have to be a little bit on the honour system, but just handling it with "Okay, type in your message box your plan... and hit enter... NOW!" ought to work. And the most recent release has meeples - replacing the cards for the stay/go indication - which could be pressed into service as markers for who's currently in and who's currently out.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Pandemic Rapid Response is on sale for $20 at Target so I picked it up. It will be our first real time strategy game. Looks frantic and fun. I'll probably do a solo run through it first to get a feel for the rules first.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
From FFG's Instagram account:

Investigator Starter Decks are coming to Arkham Horror.

Are those new investigators with new cards or are they just doing the deck building for you and repackaging cards that collectors already have?

Just got into the game so I don't know all of the available investigators yet.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Are those new investigators with new cards or are they just doing the deck building for you and repackaging cards that collectors already have?

Just got into the game so I don't know all of the available investigators yet.
We have no idea. There was supposed to be a formal livestream announcement today, but it was pushed back to next week due to the coronavirus. It looks like the PR team didn't get the memo, and just pushed this up anyways.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
We have no idea. There was supposed to be a formal livestream announcement today, but it was pushed back to next week due to the coronavirus. It looks like the PR team didn't get the memo, and just pushed this up anyways.
Interesting. So the dude in that post isn't currently available and we just don't know if he's a stand alone pack or also part of an upcoming expansion?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. So the dude in that post isn't currently available and we just don't know if he's a stand alone pack or also part of an upcoming expansion?
New investigator starter decks, such as Nathaniel Cho, make it quick and easy for anyone to hop into a game of Arkham Horror: The Card Game!
#ArkhamHorror
#LCG
#cardgame

That was the comment on the instagram post from FFG. So, we're all speculating that these are going to be like the Hero packs from Marvel. We'll know more next week as to whether these investigators will be in upcoming expansion packs, if there will be any new cards (besides the investigator and their signatures), etc.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
So, Dark Ages KS got extended for four more days.. the first KS ever to get extended. This can't be abused, can it?

Also, I see that Bloodborne is three months late.. at least somewhat due to COVID-19. I really wonder how many KS and retail releases are going to get pushed back.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Not unless I go to my parents, but someone at my work who went home monday is showing potential signs of corona virus as of Friday evening, so I'm staying away from my family for the next week just to be safe.
That's good.

I was about to pick it up and figured I could wait since I won't be able to play it anytime soon.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
So I'm slowing becoming more of a solo gamer these days. Have been playing quite a bit of Welcome to... and MetroX. I really enjoy the roll and write genre due to how easy it is to get up and playing and the short play times. Digital board games have been good for this too.

Are there any other solo games with quick setup and play times that you would recommend?

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
Railroad Ink and Cartographers, to start...

Both are definitely on my wishlist.

What are some other good solo game options outside of roll and writes? I know most co-ops can be played solo playing as two characters but that seems a bit much to keep up with.

I ordered Orchard recently since I tend to like puzzle games quite a bit these days as well.

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm slowing becoming more of a solo gamer these days. Have been playing quite a bit of Welcome to... and MetroX. I really enjoy the roll and write genre due to how easy it is to get up and playing and the short play times. Digital board games have been good for this too.

Are there any other solo games with quick setup and play times that you would recommend?
I've been loving Maquis lately. It's a worker placement game set in WW2. You have to complete 2 missions before all your resistance fighters have been arrested, you're morale falls to 0, or time runs out. It's challenging so be prepared. The great thing about the game is that it is really fast to setup and play but you feel like you are playing a larger game.

boardgamegeek.com

Maquis

Avoid patrols to complete missions vs. the Nazis in this solo worker-placement game.

If you like dice games, Deep Space D6 is also great. It is another small footprint game that sets up quickly but you feel that it is a larger game. In it, you are rolling dice and placing them on cards to prevent various problems. Think FTL.
boardgamegeek.com

Deep Space D-6

It was a trap! Roll your crew dice to survive the onslaught of an alien armada.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

You want short solo games or just quick setup?

Deep Space D-6 is a nice one.
PARKS isn't too bad solo.
Hostage Negotiator has a lot of content with all the expansions.
Arkham Noir (Case 1 is out, 2 coming out in a few months?)
Space Park isn't too bad.
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters can technically be played solo (play as all 4 characters) and can be hard.

All of these are pretty easy to set up too. You could play the Sherlock Consulting Detective games solo too.

Star Wars Outer Rim can be set up easily if you have it organized. Fun thing to try solo.