Bob Iger confirms that first post-IX Star Wars film will be from D&D

Quinton

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
Honestly though, what will it take for y’all to be kosher with future Star Wars movies at this point? Because I keep thinking about it and the one thing I circle back to is “BREAKING: Russo Brothers To Helm Next Trilogy.”

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
hell
Honestly though, what will it take for y’all to be kosher with future Star Wars movies at this point? Because I keep thinking about it and the one thing I circle back to is “BREAKING: Russo Brothers To Helm Next Trilogy.”
My ultimate dream is “BREAKING: Christopher Nolan To Helm Next Star WarsTrilogy.”

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed TLJ, so Rian Johnson's trilogy happening instead of D&D touching SW would've been fine by me.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, FMA '03 still had plenty of questionable creative decisions, up to and including something that wouldn't have been out of place for D&D with
supporting character Rose having been raped and impregnated by State Military soldiers and left a mute, something that never happened in the manga or by extension Brotherhood.
But it wasn't terrible or out of place considering that they leaned heavily on the horrors of warfare and supposedly benevolent societies engaging in it.

Brotherhood was sanitary in comparison to that. The destruction of the Drachma forces in the north was basically a punchline.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like Disney to take at LEAST 5, preferably 10 years off from releasing any theatrical films. Then when that time is over, announce some sort of grand plan for the franchise with someone like Feige (or hell, even Feige himself if he wants the job) overseeing over it.

A director driven shared universe franchise does not work. WB learned that the hard way with the DCEU. I don't care who the directors are, I want the next set of Star Wars films to have a unified and consistent vision, something sorely lacking right now.

But alas, just a pipe dream. No way would Disney go longer than 3 years without a film...

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to seeing the smart writing that these two lads can come up with when freed from the restrains of having to adapt a lengthy book series.

Quinton

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
I'd like Disney to take at LEAST 5, preferably 10 years off from releasing any theatrical films. Then when that time is over, announce some sort of grand plan for the franchise with someone like Feige (or hell, even Feige himself if he wants the job) overseeing over it.

A director driven shared universe franchise does not work. WB learned that the hard way with the MCU. I don't care who the directors are, I want the next set of Star Wars films to have a unified and consistent vision, something sorely lacking right now.

But alas, just a pipe dream. No way would Disney go longer than 3 years without a film...
May I ask you what makes Star Wars in particular something which fans want a decade to pass without films when so many other popcorn blockbuster franchises are full of fans wanting more and more, faster and faster? This is kind of the crux of my confusion. I get wanting Lucasfilm to iron out a Feige-like grand plan but I don't understand how that equates to a desire for a literal decade to pass us by without further theatrical content.

It just bugs the hell out of me because in terms of the giants of entertainment Star Wars is the only one I scream enthusiastically about.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
edit: done venting .. not thrilled by this news but theres lots of other star wars content coming before whatever this ends up being, and it may end up being good.

Last edited:

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
May I ask you what makes Star Wars in particular something which fans want a decade to pass without films when so many other popcorn blockbuster franchises are full of fans wanting more and more, faster and faster? This is kind of the crux of my confusion. I get wanting Lucasfilm to iron out a Feige-like grand plan but I don't understand how that equates to a desire for a literal decade to pass us by without further theatrical content.

It just bugs the hell out of me because in terms of the giants of entertainment Star Wars is the only one I scream enthusiastically about.
Yeah, it’s bizarre to me

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Just a reminder if you think people are just salty about their writing in GoT, D&D also wrote Wolverine Origins and brought us that version of Deadpool.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, my wish is just to see "BREAKING: Disney to cancel further development on Star Wars movies".

Yeah, I know that's literally never ever going to happen. But honestly I just wish Star Wars remained this classic series of films from the 70s/80s, much like the Back to the Future trilogy, instead of transforming into this neverending multimedia nightmare with an extremely limited universe.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Because Star Wars is NOT the MCU. It just isn't designed to be churning out one film after the other every year. We don't need countless spinoffs and prequels and sequels and side stories. We don't need every mystery explained or every background character fleshed out in detail. That was the biggest problem with the old EU: It left NOTHING to the imagination. Every single side character or event was given its own novel or comic. Nothing was left unexplored, and the universe just became so...dull by the end.

VonGreckler

Oct 25, 2017
My ultimate dream is “BREAKING: Christopher Nolan To Helm Next Star WarsTrilogy.”

A director driven shared universe franchise does not work. WB learned that the hard way with the DCEU. I don't care who the directors are, I want the next set of Star Wars films to have a unified and consistent vision, something sorely lacking right now.

Honestly, my wish is just to see "BREAKING: Disney to cancel further development on Star Wars movies".

Yeah, I know that's literally never ever going to happen. But honestly I just wish Star Wars remained this classic series of films from the 70s/80s, much like the Back to the Future trilogy, instead of transforming into this neverending multimedia nightmare with an extremely limited universe.
I for one, am glad that none of these are happening...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
But it wasn't terrible or out of place considering that they leaned heavily on the horrors of warfare and supposedly benevolent societies engaging in it.

Brotherhood was sanitary in comparison to that. The destruction of the Drachma forces in the north was basically a punchline.
Pretty sure there's no arguing that as anything other than terrible, even if you're insisting that it fit the tone for their vision of the story. And I'd hardly call the look back to what happened to the Ishvalans more "sanitary" in Brotherhood than '03, if I were to pick just one example (but just about anything will look "sanitary" next to '03's grimdark sensibilities).

Personally, I consider Dante the only thing of value lost from '03 (well, that and Rose's darker complexion).

Last edited:

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Quinton

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle

Because Star Wars is NOT the MCU. It just isn't designed to be churning out one film after the other every year. We don't need countless spinoffs and prequels and sequels and side stories. We don't need every mystery explained or every background character fleshed out in detail. That was the biggest problem with the old EU: It left NOTHING to the imagination. Every single side character or event was given its own novel or comic. Nothing was left unexplored, and the universe just became so...dull by the end.
I really, really disagree with the both of you. Maybe if there was another extraordinary and decent-setting space opera franchise with Star Wars' blockbuster appeal I wouldn't care as much. But there isn't. (I love Star Trek but it's simply never going to herald that sort of mainstream appeal and I've come to terms with that.)

I live in a world where the comic book superhero adoration phenomenon gets stronger by the year. That's fine. I'm not bitter that people like what they like and get more of it. I'm bewildered that Star Wars is somehow this special entity in people's minds to the point that the risk of tarnishing it far outweighs the reward of possibly getting more and more excellence instead.

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't expect this news to bum me out this much. It took me almost a year to watch Solo and I think the same is going to happen with these films. I want more unique voices in the Star Wars universe and I don't think D&D are all that interesting.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I think it will be fine if they get to plot it from start to finish. With GoT they had the incredibly tough job of coming up with a satisfying ending for someone else's story.

Seeya

Oct 27, 2017
The way the EU succeeded though was that by covering many different mediums and topics, only the most devoted noticed that. Much of the EU was simply take it as a person happened to choose to engage with it.

It doesn’t work for mediums like film and TV because of exposure. Even if you’re not watching the latest movie, a 200 million dollar marketing budget will make sure you’re saturated by StarWars marketing.

DixieDean82

Oct 27, 2017
A three break is just the right length needed. Taking ten years off is completely unrealistic.

Just be grateful the Disney overloads are not turning into the MCU. Three movies a year, would kill my love of the franchise. The MCU is too relentless for my tastes.

If it took Solo's failure to make this to happen, then I'm glad it flopped.

Oh, and there is nothing limited about the Star Wars universe. Nothing at all. With the right world building, this is a non-issue. You can literally make an entertaining movie out of anything.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I’m curious and will check out whatever these films end up becoming. Can’t wait for the teaser in three years!

I’m mostly curious what this means for Rian Johnson’s SW involvement.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

You hoping something ceases to exist just because you don't want to see it is so incredibly self-centered. Just stop watching them, it's that simple.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
This is accurate.

And I'm anticipating the Rian Johnson trilogy.
As much as this is supposed to be a joke, there are some legitimate gripes there. Vader's flip was not too well foreshadowed, if I recall correctly. Really though: Teddy Bear Things If this joke was being honest, there would be people complaining about the Bear Things, and they'd be on-point.

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yeah! Love what they do with Game of Thrones. You know they are fantastic creatives when they illicit such divisive responses.

Oct 26, 2017

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Will all of the "OMG! Game of Thrones sucks!" people cancel out all of the "OMG! Star Wars sucks!" people?

God, I hope so. Both are fucking insufferable.