• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It feels like Disney had an internal development 'bake off' with Rian's project and obviously D&D (as the OP says) won out.

Just last month Kathleen Kennedy said she was meeting with both Rian and D&D on the future of Star Wars

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I would have guessed that "Learning our lesson from Solo" would have included reading the room. Maybe wait a couple months for the whirlwind around GoT to die down before announcing something like this. Benioff and Weiss are possibly one of the most hated duos in media right now. As a shareholder this was a dumb move by Iger. Then again Eisner started cracking towards the end of his tenure as well.

I also thought I saw that Rian was being brought into help D&D work on their trilogy in the writing department.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I think he can do fine with this. GoT is much more challenging with the number of characters and plot lines. Plus they seem to really want to do these and is probably part of why they turned down the offer to have more time and episodes for GOT so they could move on to this. So wanting to work on these likely hurt GoT (though I've liked it fine, I'm nit a very critical person when it comes to entertainment).

I'll keep measured expectations for sure, but think they can do better since they're writing rather than adapting and can keep the amount of characters and plot lines manageable vis the mess GRRM made with Song of Ice and Fire. Star Wars has always been pretty simple in terms of plots and amount of characters with plot lines per movie/trilogy.

I'm a positive person so I'll hope for the best while nit getting overly hyped. I hope the do it so this trilogy and Johnson's just release in opposite years. I liked having a Star Wars movie every year. I just think huge budget spinoffs and one offs don't go over as well as mainline entries. Alternate those and use Disney Plus series and movies for the side stuff IMO.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
LOL. Loving the reactions here and what has been going on in S8 of Game of Thrones. From an outsider all of these reactions have been great.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Recent quality of GOT aside, these guys don't have a terrible amount of experience outside of TV (I know Benioff wrote some movies earlier in his career) so it's kind of strange they are being given one of the biggest film franchises in the world.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Nice! good to see them get work even after GOT :)

Very hyped for Rian's trilogy also, as TLJ was/is the best SW movie imo.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
They look to be better at creating than adapting, so I am excited.

They were doing great when adapting the books, and then the quality plummeted the moment they had to make their own contributions to the story. I don't get how this is your takeaway?

I wish Rians trilogy was up instead. TLJ was great.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would have guessed that "Learning our lesson from Solo" would have included reading the room. Maybe wait a couple months for the whirlwind around GoT to die down before announcing something like this. Benioff and Weiss are possibly one of the most hated duos in media right now. As a shareholder this was a dumb move by Iger. Then again Eisner started cracking towards the end of his tenure as well.

I also thought I saw that Rian was being brought into help D&D work on their trilogy in the writing department.

I don't know if I would compare this one Eisner.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Usenet groups from the time have been archived, so we actually have proto-social media responses to ROTJ.

Here's some:

i thought that the ending of the ROTJ was dreadful. the film makers
stooped to a "Walt Disney" style "all-smiles" ending, just like the
first Star Wars movie ending!
a better ending would have been to cut the movie right when the second
Death Star explodes. Just freeze frame the explosion and roll the credits.

just before the explosion show Luke getting away before the Death Star's doom.
(a nice contrast to Vader's escape). omit the bit about Han resolving
the "love triangle", or put in earler in the movie. have Han find out
that: Luke is in the Death Star that is just about to be blown up,
and insert the "he is my brother" text.

the movie gave me the impression that the film makers "wanted to get it over
with". answering questions is fine, but leave some more materal around
for people to munch on...

response:

The purpose of RotJ was to clean up and to leave no loose ends for the next three, which deal with rebuilding the Republic. The characters in this trilogy won't even be in the next one, so how can you leave stuff for them to do?

People have been questioning stormtrooper armor, etc. since forever

I have just joined the distribution list and am not sure if these
questions have been raised before, but bear with me.
First of all, how come Luke's lightsaber didn't cut anyone during his
battle over the desert. If anyone has better eyesight than I do, please
correct me but I'm almost positive that noone was ever cut or maimed
during that scene. In fact the only person that was hurt at all(besides
those who became food) was Luke. Is there anything besides the threat
of an R rating that would stop the lightsaber from carving people up?

Another strange thing about lightsabers is that their power seems to
change with the episode in the saga. Remember when Luke and Darth were
dueling in TESB. They took swipes at each other and yet every time that
they missed and hit the metal supports that held up their walkway, the
metal wasn't cut through. In ROTJ of course, when Vader threw his light
saber at the walkway that Luke was standing on, the support sheared and
the whole thing collapsed. Anyone see something I didn't?

Those Ewoks certainly are masters of the Ten Minute Ambush aren't they.

The final thing someone could perhaps explain is what the use of the
armor worn by the storm troopers. We found out in SW:ANH and TESB that
these suits were not much good against blasters and lightsabers although
they are quite impressive looking and must strike fear into the hearts
of enemies. We then find out that the suits aren't any good as
protection from rocks, clubs or teddybears. Couldn't so great an
organization as the Empire settle on dress that was either more useful
or lighter-weight albeit less awe-inspiring?

I really enjoyed all three of the movies but as long as everyone is
submitting their questions I thought I would submit mine.

And, of course

Jedi is Garbage

SORRY GUYS..I'M NEW TO THIS, AND I'M TRYING TO POST MY THOUGHTS!!
DENNIS

Oh, Dennis.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe read the room before announcing stuff, Bob

Thing is, his read of the room is "holy christ 10 different game of thrones characters are the top 10 trending topics worldwide on twitter every sunday" and the last episode literally did an all time record 12.48 million viewers. game of thrones is an event right now only outshined by Avengers.

the critical backlash doesn't show up on the radar.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo uhh LF never announced they were doing a series of films.. never a trilogy.

What if the 2022 movie is a one off and rian starts his trilogy in 2024.

TRYING TO STAY POSITIVE BREHS :(

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well thats one way to fan the flames of star wars fatigue. Give the people responsible for wolverine xmen and the second half of thrones the follow up to a closing trilogy that fans are already mixed on.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Did people ever think about maybe GoT sucks now because Martin can't be arsed to get his damn book out? Like the show was fine as long as they had books to film and now all they have is Martin's advice.

Anyway I really don't care who makes these movies as long as they're good. I'm actually kinda glad I don't have to watch another Rian Johnson Star Wars movie.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Just last month Kathleen Kennedy said she was meeting with both Rian and D&D on the future of Star Wars

And presumably this was the result of that particular meeting. If Disney are leaning into an Avatar sequel and a Star Wars film every alternate year/Xmas then I'm not sure where they shcedule Rian's film(s).

So you know for sure D&D are making a trilogy?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting, that D&D could be doing a single film with Rian's film then scheduled to follow that?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow people really like to jump down others throats. You would think Disney has learned from what happened with the a Star Wars story and 7-9 movies to change their approach.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the bright side, I can ignore this trilogy and maybe when Rian trilogy is released I can have that magic of waiting years before a new SW