• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
All these mad Dany stan avatars are killing me. Star Wars movies are bargain basement as far as writing goes. D&D know how to write comic relief character and set up action. They are over qualified.

I gotta savor all these salty tears for the next week
giphy.gif
Does it also require a complete misunderstanding of rape, homosexuality and racism?

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in another thread. Do people here on ERA believe that once you create bad work, that you can never create good? Excited for this regardless
I think the saying is 'You're only as good as your last performance'. Many operate under that saying.
Idk, I can't muster the excitement for any future D&D products. I'm only finishing Thrones because I've been invested in it for so long.

Sorry

*they're only good writers when they're adapting a story 1:1 and thus having them direct an original movie will be a disaster
This is false though, they didn't adapt it 1:1. Most of there earlier additions ranged from great to meh(with some incredibly stupid decisions like how they chose to adapt Loras and Renly.)
Remember that all of the earlier Varys and Littlefinger conversations were theirs, those two have no POVs. And the scenes they've had together were fantastic.
They're capable of good writing, that is what's frustrating about what's happening now and the past few seasons.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it is a KOTOR adaptation, and they faithfully retell the stories of the first two games, prepare yourself for nonsensical fuckery in the third film where they have to start making shit up.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
They chose D&D over Rian Johnson.

There is no RJ trilogy. Rian ain't waiting 7 years for this shit.

That's an interesting take, although by all accounts Rian hasn't even started writing a first draft yet, and nobody has confirmed if all the announced movies are the same trilogy.

If the Rian trilogy was cancelled Disney would just come out and say it's over, what does anyone have to gain by hiding the parting of ways? Why do people believe in this conspiracy that Disney is hiding the fact that they've cancelled movies? Especially after Josh Trank's firing was announced pretty promptly.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting that?

... Are people trolling at this point? How in the world would you get that?
2028 at earliest based on Iger's own admission that they want to slow down the release schedule of Star Wars and not have one every year. Now given that they're using Avatar to alternate Star Wars releases across Decembers, you have D&D's trilogy come 2022, 2024, 2026. With Avatar alternating between in 2021, 23, 25 & 27.

So December 2028 is the logical earliest conclusion for Rian's Trilogy start.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2028 at earliest based on Iger's own admission that they want to slow down the release schedule of Star Wars and not have one every year. Now given that they're using Avatar to alternate Star Wars releases across Decembers, you have D&D's trilogy come 2022, 2024, 2026. With Avatar alternating between in 2021, 23, 25 & 27.

Yeah, the Rian trilogy isn't happening, thankfully.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Assuming all three of the announced movies are the same storyline. D&D were never confirmed to be working on a trilogy for one thing, just a new "series."

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, Rian is getting his trilogy you maniacs. Also, lots of GoT fans were around when RotJ came out and didn't throw a fit.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The announcement is who will be part of the production team for the project.

Due to recent events confidence in production is decreasing.

If I was a shareholder I would have to consider if d and d on the project won't increase the stock value as much as someone else without the increasing resentment could.
Again, being a prisoner of the moment.

D&D's resume from GOT is a net positive for them. Investors don't think like this. Let the movie come out first.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Wow, ERA is mad at something.

Shocking.

Reading threads on here you would think everything is the worst thing ever.

Myself, I can't wait for it. While I am not happy with how GoT is ending, people shouldn't be blaming D&D for not writing the rest of it perfectly how they would like it. Go blame GRRM for not releasing a single book is almost a decade.

If you think D&D stopped caring what do you say for the person who actually created the story to begin with?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Shocking.

Myself, I can't wait for it. While I am not happy with how GoT is ending, people shouldn't be blaming D&D for not writing the rest of it perfectly how they would like it. Go blame GRRM for not releasing a single book is almost a decade.

If you think D&D stopped caring what do you say for the person who actually created the story to begin with?
There's a difference between not being perfect and being bad. A large spectrum of quality actually.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately that's a tentative film schedule. I wouldn't be surprised to see additional SW films added down the road.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
"Series" means more than one film, no?

It does imply more than one film, but it doesn't say anything about how quickly they intend to make their series, or how long it will run. There's nothing to say all three of the announced movies are theirs.

Oh? That I didn't know. I thought D&D were doing a trilogy.

Here's the original press release.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

At no point was it said they were making a trilogy, nor was it said what time scale their series would be made on. It could be the first part of a really long term plan.

There's nothing to suggest that Rian has been kicked to the curb.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Rian Johnson is still a solid director and writer even though he fucked with SW fans.

He has never done anything as mediocre as this season of Thrones. Or Wolverine Origins :lol.

The equivalencies in here are a joke.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, jumping out after 9 then. These guys proved they are willing to throw characterization into hellfire just to wrap up a narrative.

Why should i care about a trilogy? How can i be sure they won't do the same shit?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's never been stated that the D&D movie/s is a trilogy.

I believe that they were originally described as a series.

Oct 25, 2017

Shocking.

D&D stopped caring, the quality drop is clear as day. I know for a fact that they are capable of writing better than what we got.
Everybody in the cast and crew puts their all while the actual core of the show is incredibly shallow thanks to D&D.

And it isn't only on ERA, there are so many of us who are dissatisfied all over.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It does imply more than one film, but it doesn't say anything about how quickly they intend to make their series, or how long it will run. There's nothing to say all three of the announced movies are theirs.

Here's the original press release.

At no point was it said they were making a trilogy, nor was it said what time scale their series would be made on. It could be the first part of a really long term plan.

There's nothing to suggest that Rian has been kicked to the curb.
I wasn't one of the people saying Rian had been kicked to the curb at all.

But I have to believe that if D&D's 'series of films' start in 2022, the one in 2024 is also going to be theirs. They're not going to make audiences wait 4-6 (or longer) years between sequels.

They're not James Cameron.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Uh, yeah. This was confirmed a while back that these guys will be getting a trilogy, as well as Rian.

And guys, just because the last couples of seasons haven't been up to snuff critically, you're forgetting that these guys showran what is now a global phenomenon, more or less. Is it REALLY that surprising that Disney would be hiring them for a slate of films? Wait and see what they cook up.