• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll tell you who would make a Star Wars movie that everyone would like:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This literally doesn't make sense. They announced both series of trilogies. Rian recently stated he was working on his trilogy currently.

There is zero logic behind "the Johnson trilogy won't happen." None.

Unless they are doing back to back releases of two different trilogies at the same time, the RJ trilogy is far off. The more time it takes, the higher the chance he's gonna end up moving onto something else or Disney changes gears once again.

Any time you put roadblocks and extent how long till movies go into production, you are taking risks of creative teams falling apart and studios changing their minds. We've already had Disney make multiple changes to their Star Wars plans.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Star Wars desperately needs someone like Kevin Feige to oversee everything and make sure it all works together.
You mean like a pair of showrunners who have only ever been vaguely described as "working on star wars films" with no number of films specified as explicitly theirs outside of the next one, which will be followed by two vague placeholders, not to mention they've been a big cagey about what their roles will even be. I think they are probably hoping to turn it into something similar to Marvel. For all we know, they've decided to keep Rian in the fold and have everyone work together. We know nothing outside of some vague details so far though.

Honestly, I'm fairly certain they aren't sure what they are gonna do yet until they've hashed out a few details of how they want the universe to go. They've got a few years to work it all out.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This literally doesn't make sense. They announced both series of trilogies. Rian recently stated he was working on his trilogy currently.

There is zero logic behind "the Johnson trilogy won't happen." None.

The logic is that Disney has announced only 3 SW films coming in 2022, 2024 and 2026. If D&D are making a series of films and the first one they're making is the 2022 one then I would guess that their follow-ups will be the 2024 and 2026 movies. If they alternated between the two trilogies then that would mean that there'd be 4-year gaps between episodes and that's not gonna happen. Now, Disney might add more SW films to their summer slates but if they don't then RJs movie will come out in 2028 at the earliest, which indicates that his project has been put on the back-burner.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
You mean like a pair of showrunners who have only ever been vaguely described as "working on star wars films" with no number of films specified as explicitly theirs outside of the next one, no specific roles specified. I think they are probably hoping to turn it into something similar. For all we know, they've decided to keep Rian in the fold and have everyone work together. We know nothing outside of some vague details so far though.

Honestly, I'm fairly certain they aren't sure what they are gonna do yet until they've hashed out a few details of how they want the universe to go. They've got a few years to work it all out.

No I specifically mean a head honcho above all the writers and directors. Someone who can make sure if a new director comes in he/she doesnt change something that the previous director setup.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
No I specifically mean a head honcho above all the writers and directors. Someone who can make sure if a new director comes in he/she doesnt change something that the previous director setup.
I dunno bout that. Restricting the vision of the director because it has to fit in with the rest of the movies sounds pretty bad to me.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Not changing what a previous director set up? That doesn't sound like Kevin Feige given how much has been shifted, dropped, and changed in the MCU. It's still cohesive on the macro level as well as certain threads, but plenty changes and adapts to make the individual films work.

I think you must be looking for a Kathleen Kennedy. :P

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The logic is that Disney has announced only 3 SW films coming in 2022, 2024 and 2026. If D&D are making a series of films and the first one they're making is the 2022 one then I would guess that their follow-ups will be the 2024 and 2026 movies.

If that was the plan, why would Iger only confirm what the next movie is and not confirm that all three of them are from D&D?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not changing what a previous director set up? That doesn't sound like Kevin Feige given how much has been shifted, dropped, and changed in the MCU. It's still cohesive on the macro level as well as certain threads, but plenty changes and adapts to make the individual films work.

She's great running Lucasfilm but she needs someone who reports to her whose purpose is to handle Star Wars.movies

Getting George Lucas back on contract would be.nice but he is too prideful to be anyone's underling

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia

I swore I saw an article where they said that the MCU has had the overarching ideas for the specific phases laid out before hand. That is what Star Wars needs. It was clear going from the force awakens to TLJ that things were done more on the fly.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
If that was the plan, why would Iger only confirm what the next movie is and not confirm that all three of them are from D&D?
Yeah, it seems to be like the only plan Iger is offering is a very high level schedule. Lucasfilm has three years to figure out, creatively, how they want to shape it, and they've been given 2 years between films to continue shaping it. I'm sure they've been bouncing around ideas, but it's still too early to put it all on paper. It could be D&D do all three, could be they do one and drop out, could be they only end up sharing writing or producing credits. I don't think they actually have that all figured out beyond here's the date, and here is who is working toward it right now. They've been burned by coming out the gate with these sorts of early announcements in the past (Colin Trevorrow, almost Josh Trank), so why wouldn't they take a more conservative approach this time around?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
IMG-20190514-154614.jpg
There was real hate for the Ewoks defeating a legion of Stormtroopers even back then. The rest of this is hypothetical and dismissive of the real possibility that the current movies aren't telling a satisfying or interesting story.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I feel like this solidifies that D&D rushed the hell out of GoT to get to Star Wars ASAP. Especially since Rian Johnson started well over a year ago, and officially D&D weren't starting until after GoT finished.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Fake it till ya make it. These two worked hard to court GRRM and it's continuing to pay dividends. They are not good writers and this is a mistake imo.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Because it gives them flexibility. They have changed plans many times already, no matter what they state, nothing is concrete. They are also in that case having RJ hanging around in the wings now for over 4 years before getting to start on his movie?

The RJ movies are still happening, but the more they get dragged out, the more likely they wont happen. RJ will move onto other projects, Disney give it to someone else, they scrap the project, etc etc.

Same folks fighting this idea (it's just an idea) are the same who were fighting the idea that the stories movies and solo projects for charaters were still happening.... yup not anymore apparently.

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe RJ will be the 3rd Disney+ show. As others have said I don't see them alternating D&D and RJ movies. I also don't see RJ and Disney waiting until late 2020s to launch his trilogy. Finally, Solo has pretty much given Disney a reason to pause and not have a SW movie every year.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this solidifies that D&D rushed the hell out of GoT to get to Star Wars ASAP. Especially since Rian Johnson started well over a year ago, and officially D&D weren't starting until after GoT finished.

People take different amounts of times doing film... Gunn finished the script to Guardians 3 and Suicide Squad within like a year of each other and Matt Reeves still hasn't turned in an approved Batman script.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
People take different amounts of times doing film... Gunn finished the script to Guardians 3 and Suicide Squad within like a year of each other and Matt Reeves still hasn't turned in an approved Batman script.
Sure, but TLJ also had the quickest/smoothest production cycle of any Disney Star Wars, considering the 12-18 month head start, I always assumed it would be first. Hell, I assumed it would be 2021, but with no films slated until 2022, this means it's not until 2024 at the soonest?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, ERA is mad at something.

Shocking.

Reading threads on here you would think everything is the worst thing ever.

Myself, I can't wait for it. While I am not happy with how GoT is ending, people shouldn't be blaming D&D for not writing the rest of it perfectly how they would like it. Go blame GRRM for not releasing a single book is almost a decade.

If you think D&D stopped caring what do you say for the person who actually created the story to begin with?
Nah. There are people in the past who have had to deal with the challenge of writing endings for TV stories without the book writers finsihing their work and doing much better than D and D did. The story beats for the original Full Metal Alchemist still worked very well inspite of the fact Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood with the correct ending because that team knew how to write and direct dramatic scenes and delivered on an ending that leaned into their strengths even though their ending was so drastically different from Brotherhood. D and D revealed they were even worse than some of the best fan fiction writers.

I have watched a couple of game of throne fan theory endings on youtube that blew my mind while D and D didn't show half the creativity.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but TLJ also had the quickest/smoothest production cycle of any Disney Star Wars, considering the 12-18 month head start, I always assumed it would be first. Hell, I assumed it would be 2021, but with no films slated until 2022, this means it's not until 2024 at the soonest?

Without being on the inside who knows which idea is further ahead or if RJ needs more time.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Flop? Kinda, but I would go with underperformed personally.
If people on here can say Alita didn't flop then all bets are off.

And 1/4 that didn't make serious bank? Yeah she is total crap at this production lark

As people are rightly saying about D&D, you're only as good as your last project.

And her last was Solo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. There are people in the past who have had to deal with the challenge of writing endings for TV stories without the book writers finsihing their work and doing much better than D and D did. The story beats for the original Full Metal Alchemist still worked very well inspite of the fact Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood with the correct ending because that team knew how to write and direct dramatic scenes and delivered on an ending that leaned into their strengths even though their ending was so drastically different from Brotherhood. D and D revealed they were even worse than some of the best fan fiction writers.

I have watched a couple of game of throne fan theory endings on youtube that blew my mind while D and D didn't show half the creativity.
Eh, FMA '03 still had plenty of questionable creative decisions, up to and including something that wouldn't have been out of place for D&D with
supporting character Rose having been raped and impregnated by State Military soldiers and left a mute, something that never happened in the manga or by extension Brotherhood.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Not being a troll, but is this why GoT has been rushed?

Anyway on topic: Happy for them. Look forward to what they do :)

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, geez.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. It looks like they're hedging their bets by only announcing 1 film from them right now and not confirming a full trilogy or series for them, but still.

Benioff and Weiss do have some good and great original work under their belt, but it is the worst possible timing for this announcement.