• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
r/freefolk is already on the case

R7ECHi4zZoC8Yk0Ovb2YH98nTCmoCb73XT3jTcFN9zg.jpg

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I don't think ResetEra realizes how insanely out of touch and out of step with reality they are. Both GoT and The Last Jedi are extremely popular pieces of entertainment.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great! They've taken Game of Thrones from strength to strength, record viewership!

Can't wait to see how they improve upon Star Wars.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think D&D will surprise people.

It's not like the series is known for its writing, guys lol.

I honestly think D&D are better than SWs since they've focused on more nuanced and layered fiction.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Something I'm not following on this thing is... are these dudes even directors? Will they only write the films? I saw that Weiss only has the credit for 3 EPs of GoT as director. If so... LMFAO. Hasn't Disney learned from Alan Taylor?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I don't think ResetEra realizes how insanely out of touch and out of step with reality they are. Both GoT and The Last Jedi are extremely popular pieces of entertainment.
Doesnt mean we have to be happy about it

and doesnt mean you need to keep parroting this information on every goddamn page.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll do better not having to adapt someone else's material half way through then having to do the rest on their own.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why, without fail, the hyperbole in every single Star Wars thread?

No, the prequels never killed Star Wars. Rian Johnson never killed Star Wars. He made a movie you didn't like. Get the fuck over it and move on.

And, guess what, if D&D make shitty movies, that won't kill it either.

The franchise might be dead to you, but it's alive and well to millions around the world.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what about the people here who insisted Rian would get his trilogy?

They were so sure

Oh he still will. It just won't be for a long time. I don't entirely get why people are surprised, though. It took 16 years to get Phantom Menace and 10 years to get The Force Awakens. I'm sure folks can wait around that for Rian Johnson's trilogy.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The franchise might be dead to you, but it's alive and well to millions around the world.

except China i think

i don't think anyone is arguing that they are not super popular - similar to the kardashians and bayformers movies

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Your the one who is out of touch.

My YouTube feed for Game of Thrones these last 2 weeks have been negative unlike the positivity from previous seasons. Learn to read the room. Just do Google searches for game of thrones while filtering by date into one week chunks and you'll understand that this isn't a restera issue.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your the one who is out of touch.

My YouTube feed for Game of Thrones these last 2 weeks have been negative unlike the positivity from previous seasons. Learn to read the room. Just do Google searches for game of thrones while filtering by date into one week chunks and you'll understand that this isn't a restera issue.
The fact you said "my youtube feed" defeats your entire argument.

There is nothing more out of touch than youtube movie/tv talking heads.

If you go by YouTube you'd think marvel fans didn't like Captain Marvel or Brie Larson.

Youtube is a massively out of touch hellhole.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
On a more general level, it boils down to this: different people like different things. Sometimes part of a movie might not click for a person. I think that's fine. For example, Citizen Kane is an excellent movie, considered to be one of the best of all time. It was revolutionary and pioneered a number of things that became standard in the film industry while telling a solid, well written story. Despite all that, I really don't enjoy it much.
Likewise, I adore the movie King Pow. It got pretty bad reviews and if you analyze it from a critical point of view, it doesn't exactly hold up as a quality piece of cinema. That doesn't change the fact that the humor really resonated with me and I've watched it a billion times.
Neither of those opinions are wrong.

To be more specific to The Last Jedi, there are scenes that just aren't entertaining for a lot of people. Someone can pay perfect attention to the Canto Bight sequence and still feel like it dragged on. They can pay attention to the subplot with General Holdo and still feel like it was contrived, or that she felt more like an obstacle than a character. Someone can feel like the pacing of the movie's last third wasn't as tight as the proceeding parts, or that Leia footing through space was dumb, or that Snoke should have gotten more exposition, etc. And that's ok. Those things aren't necessarily the same as misreading scenes or being mad that their fanon isn't correct.

Obviously there are many people who hate it for the reasons you said, a ton of whom I've seen posting in threads about it here. I'm not saying your post was ENTIRELY wrong. But dismissing all criticism or negative opinions as being one of those extremes is disingenuous and only aids the popular narrative that people who like TLJ are stuck up and militant about their opinions.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing as bad as "bad pussy", nice try.

Dark knight rises literally goes from full daylight to pitch black night in the time it takes to drive through a tunnel. If that shit happened on game of thrones we would have a 20 page thread about it and the cinematographer would have to issue a statement.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The fact you said "my youtube feed" defeats your entire argument.

There is nothing more out of touch than youtube movie/tv talking heads.

If you go by YouTube you'd think marvel fans didn't like Captain Marvel or Brie Larson.

Youtube is a massively out of touch hellhole.
May I also point you to conversations with my parents, coworkers, and friends (obviously anecdotal lol, but talk to a couple of real people and you'll likely find some people that don't like this season), along with both users and critics on Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, Twitter as a whole, imgur, Reddit, Kotaku, Polygon, this site, and myriad others? There are many avenues for you to see that it's not just YouTube that is down on this fucking terrible season.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
No but the reasons they dislike it are either that or head cannon issues
I hate TLJ and I dont believe it is due to head cannon or me being alt right. Canto Bight is prequel levels bad. I thought the space Leia stuff was dumb. The low speed chase and the whole plot around it was dumb, Luke sensing darkness in Ben Solo and deciding to kill him in his sleep was insanely stupid. Hell right up until the end of RTJ Luke was still trying to save Vader and bring him back to the light. That is Luke's MO in the OT movies, it is crazy to me that he would try to kill Han and Leia's kid. I also liked Finn the most of the new characters in TFA and I felt like he didnt get to do a lot in TLJ. I think that there are plenty of reasons to dislike TLJ that have nothing to do with the reasons that you listed.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe this is still a talking point after The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, which worked in tandem to undermine and destroy the mythology and characterization in the OT.

The alt-right has a propaganda machine embedded in a ton of YouTube channels and people that are *very online* believe that what comes up in their YT feed reflects actual public opinion.

Jan 3, 2018

Most conflict in the movie is caused by characters' illogical or dumb actions, who are then repeatedly saved by plot armor. The First Order can't catch up the the Raddus when lightspeed exists, and aren't surrounding it with smaller ships to prevent escape. The entire reason the resistance gets wiped out is because Holdo gives no one hope even while advocating the value of hope, etc.

You haven't been around for the previous thousand Last Jedi threads?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
"Why Star Wars: The Last Jedi is a complete cinematic failure"

Cmon brehs.. how many of yall have seen that vid.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Most conflict in the movie is caused by characters' illogical or dumb actions, who are then repeatedly saved by plot armor. The First Order can't catch up the the Raddus when lightspeed exists, and aren't surrounding it with smaller ships to prevent escape. The entire reason the resistance gets wiped out is because Holdo gives no one hope even while advocating the value of hope, etc.

You haven't been around for the previous thousand Last Jedi threads?
I have I don't think any of those are reasons I would see as an issue.
You could say things about any film that you could name that become plot armour issues or plot issues due to making a film happen.
If the first order could catch them in 2 mins then the film would be a lot shorter for example.
It's a wagon train chase movie kind of thing.