• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I for one cannot believe that the film that ended with the possibility of a woman handing the sword to a male character who was presumed to come in and save the day by kicking ass with a laser sword has higher user review scores than the film that doubled down on the ST's feminist themes. Guess user scores are legitimate now guys. Especially ones a website literally had to change their policy for because it was part of a larger pattern of progressive films being review bombed. Yes, I am literally saying that a user score that was subject to ANY review bombing at all is legitimate. It fits my narrative after all. 🤷‍♂️ /s

Literally the narrative being presented ITT right now.

Last edited:

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. TLJ was only hated by pedantic nerds who nitpicked the dumbest shit/couldn't accept that the story went into directions they didn't like, and alt right shitstains of humanity who didn't get their white straight male protagonist single-handedly pulling down star destroyers from space or Rey in a sexy slave costume or whatever. General public was fairly positive about it.

A movie doesn't do almost 1,5 billion if it's a disaster and has a horrible word of mouth. If it was that much of a disaster, it would have probably failed to make a billy.

Solo bombed on its own accord. No one knew or cared about some no-name actor depicting a younger Solo, and they failed to make the story look interesting in trailers. May was also not the best time to release the movie.

Opinions like yours are part of the reason why people call star wars Fandom so toxic. You know it's OK to dislike a movie right there doesn't need to be some ulterior motiv. Many of friends of mine had problems with the way LFhas handled minority characters in this series and yet here you are trying to generalize us into two groups for your own convenience. Grow some brain cells please.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reviews aside, the biggest indicator people didn't like the movie is the falloff from week 2. It was a 76% drop. Prediction for the latest one are below that of the TLJ. Rian derailed the whole franchise lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Opinions like yours are part of the reason why people call star wars Fandom so toxic. You know it's OK to dislike a movie right there doesn't need to be some ulterior motive. Many of friends of mine had problems with the way LF has handled minority characters in this series and yet here you are trying to generalize us into two groups for your own convenience. Grow some brain cells please.
Amen. It's also upsetting when people want to come in and talk about these films being well-received by critics as if my opinions suddenly don't mean shit. We're on a forum to discuss shit. Not talk down to people, tell them they are in the minority, and/or shove words in their mouths.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews aside, the biggest indicator people didn't like the movie is the falloff from week 2. It was a 76% drop.
Surely we should ignore the part where it later became the best selling blu ray of 2018 in only four months, becoming second only to Infinity War.

You guys keep throwing darts but the "The "people didn't like the movie" narrative doesn't stick.

Amen. It's also upsetting when people want to come in and talk about these films being well-received by critics as if my opinions suddenly don't mean shit
By the verifiable metric audiences enjoyed the film. Your opinion is just part of a vocal minority and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. It wasn't just critics.

Prediction for the latest one are below that of the TLJ.
Stop trying to legitimize clickbait.

Star Wars is too important to the masses for it to go on a hiatus.
It isn't even going on hiatus. They're creating two big budget live action tv shows in between the gap in films. The franchise is still gonna be relevant.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Surely we should ignore the part where it later became the best selling blu ray of 2018 in only four months, becoming second only to Infinity War.

You guys keep throwing darts but the "The "people didn't like the movie" narrative doesn't stick.

Stop trying to legitimize clickbait.

I will ignore DVD/Blue ray sales sales because I am only looking at box office numbers.

How is it clickbait to point out it has shown poor tracking. I am not claiming it will do worse.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Reviews aside, the biggest indicator people didn't like the movie is the falloff from week 2. It was a 76% drop. Prediction for the latest one are below that of the TLJ. Rian derailed the whole franchise lol.
It dropped 67%, not 76%. It's a bigger drop than usual, but it also had unexpected competition with Jumanji, which was a breakout hit that opened in its 2nd weekend.

But its long term performance was still good. It has a domestic multiplier of 2.81 and achieved 620M, which is sitting at 9th all time. 1.3B is still the 13th biggest film of all time.

Its performance and overall drops also aligns with the two previous trilogies before it.

Although it's probably not as widely liked as TFA, the argument that it was significantly hated or disliked by general audiences just doesn't hold water.

Dec 21, 2017
I for one cannot believe that the film that ended with the possibility of a woman handing the sword to a male character who was presumed to come in and save the day by kicking ass with a laser sword has higher user review scores than the film that doubled down on the ST's feminist themes. Guess user scores are legitimate now guys. Especially ones a website literally had to change their policy for because it was part of a larger pattern of progressive films being review bombed. Yes, I am literally saying that a user score that was subject to ANY review bombing at all is legitimate. It fits my narrative after all. 🤷‍♂️ /s

Literally the narrative being presented ITT right now.
I can. The scripting for the two is night and day. There are plenty of reasons to dislike a movie, and personally? They're not anti-feminist. Gee, I wish Rey had a better written character, but I can say the same for Finn, Poe, and just about everyone else in this movie? Is it sexist that the only thing that the writers seemed to have a rough draft for is Kylo and Luke? You tell me.

Okay, user scores on rotten tomatoes were review bombed for a few things. That's a shame, so what do you use as a metric then? Watchmen deserves a 90's and CapMarvel should rightfully be in the 70's IMO, and the reception for those seems to be fair. TLJ's drop from week 1 to 2, the followup movie's performance not doing so hot, and the toy sales for RotS already being on firesale in various places don't exactly paint a positive picture.

By the verifiable metric audiences enjoyed the film. Your opinion is just part of a vocal minority and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. It wasn't just critics.

"Your metrics are horribly wrong, but my nonexistent one is therefore correct!"

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off your number is wrong.

Second off the projection from BoxOfficePro that clickbait farms latched on to is not "lower than TLJ", it was a range and the range given ranges from slightly lower than TLJ to above TLJ.

In fact it was the same early projection TLJ had for OW as well!

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and the toy sales for RotS already being on firesale in various places don't exactly paint a positive picture.
Yeah.....no. That is just plain a lie lmao. There are no "fire sales" for the new TROS merch that launched last month.

Advance ticket sales being up are not the same thing as box office tracking numbers being down. They aren't the same thing.
The box office tracking numbers are not down. The only tracking we have is from Box Office Pro. They gave a 185-225 OW range and clickbait farms ran with the low end of the range.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It was the highest grossing film of 2017 by a 100m gap. It was quite popular.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
The brand is practically dead. But I fully expect Respawn to resurrect it with their Star Wars game. But, yes, a 30-40 year break would be best for the films.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Good. They oversaturated it.

Not sure I agree with that. How many marvel movies do we get a year? It was the combination of the divisive last Jedi and then releasing solo a couple of months later in between Deadpool and infinity war that really caused the problems. Rogue one showed that people want side movies that are good, and imo that was the best movie of the recent ones.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Gee, I wish Rey had a better written character, but I can say the same for Finn, Poe, and just about everyone else in this movie? Is it sexist that the only thing that the writers seemed to have a rough draft for is Kylo and Luke? You tell me.
Poe Dameron didn't even have a character arc in TFA, and Finn's was incomplete, ending the phrase, "fight but only for Rey"
TLJ follows every single one the plotlines:

kay, user scores on rotten tomatoes were review bombed for a few things. That's a shame, so what do you use as a metric then?
Cinemascore. Aka the industry standard for audience reception used by studios.

TLJ's drop from week 1 to 2
This is such an odd thing to focus on considering that the film made 1.3 billion dollars and later became the second top selling bluray in only four months.

the followup movie's performance not doing so hot
Solo not making a lot of money was specifically because it was Solo. Not because of the last jedi.

the toy sales for RotS already being on firesale in various places
Ok at this point i'm just gonna say, get out of your echo chamber and stop watching content from alt right friendly youtube channels that all produce the same FUD. The reason i'm saying this is because this specific talking point literally appeared YESTERDAY.
JuKYgLx.png

And honestly, considering that you've evidently watched this BS since you're literally verbatim using repeating it, I have to ask, what are you doing?

"Your metrics are horribly wrong, but my nonexistent one is therefore correct!"
Yea lemme tell you about that non existent website called cinemascore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The brand is practically dead. But I fully expect Respawn to resurrect it with their Star Wars game. But, yes, a 30-40 year break would be best for the films.
Oh and you see this little show? More people are going to watch it this month than will ever buy Fallen Order so I don't know what the hell you are trying to say.....

I guess this is cancelled seeing how Star Wars is practically dead. And the other 2 live action shows too?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the dude source was a youtube channel called "worldclassbullshitters"

You can't make this stuff up 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get out of your echo chamber and stop watching content from alt right friendly youtube channels that all produce the same FUD. This talking point literally appeared YESTERDAY. And honestly, considering that you've evidently watched this bullshit, I have to ask, wtf are you doing?!
JuKYgLx.png
Raise your hand if you are surprised GARlock Spiral got his talking points from the alt-right echo chamber.

Not me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.....no. That is just plain a lie lmao. There are no "fire sales" for the new TROS merch that launched last month.
GARlock Spiral is giving us the Greatest Hits of dumbass shit Youtube recommends.

[edit]

Oh shit, hahaha. It's more literal than I thought.

I told Youtube I wasn't interested in those videos so many times that they now bring them directly to me on ERA.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Fallen Order is gonna be a great game based on impressions but if it is it's just another example of how they had the right idea with this franchise in spite of some missteps, (BF2 launch, Solo existing at all).

Dec 21, 2017
Brands that are practically dead track to do around 200m opening weekend domestic now?

More people are going to see TROS opening night alone than will ever buy Fallen Order so your idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Depends. If Star Wars was going to legitimately die, no. I'm not sure what the openings for the other movies were to compare, but if your normal opening weekend would be 300-500m, yeah, 200m would be bad. However, it's Star Wars. It's going to sell tickets, even AFTER TLJ. It's going to take a few TLJ-level films to actually kill it dead, but Step one is step one.

Not sure I agree with that. How many marvel movies do we get a year? It was the combination of the divisive last Jedi and then releasing solo a couple of months later in between Deadpool and infinity war that really caused the problems. Rogue one showed that people want side movies that are good, and imo that was the best movie of the recent ones.

This. Rogue One was GOOD.

Raise your hand if you are surprised GARlock Spiral got his talking points from the alt-right echo chamber.

Not me.

I'm raising my hand. Honestly saw a reddit post about it, said "Huh, how about that", and went past it. What really gets me is how apparently i'm "alt-right" for hating a bad movie for being bad. Apparently disliking Rey/Finn for barely being characters and wishing they had more of a presence in thier own movies [ESPECIALLY FINN] is just as bad for hating them because they're a girl/a black guy?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. If Star Wars was going to legitimately die, no. I'm not sure what the openings for the other movies were to compare, but if your normal opening weekend would be 300-500m, yeah, 200m would be bad. However, it's Star Wars. It's going to sell tickets, even AFTER TLJ. It's going to take a few TLJ-level films to actually kill it dead, but Step one is step one.

This. Rogue One was GOOD.

I'm raising my hand. Honestly saw a reddit post about it, said "Huh, how about that", and went past it. What really gets me is how apparently i'm "alt-right" for hating a bad movie for being bad. Apparently disliking Rey/Finn for barely being characters and wishing they had more of a presence in thier own movies [ESPECIALLY FINN] is just as bad for hating them because they're a girl/a black guy?
The alt right talking point is your lie about fire sales, your view in TLJ is irrelevant to that. No one is calling you out for disliking TLJ. They are calling you out for spreading an alt-right created lie.

Why don't you actually read the actual link to see the source before pushing a reddit headline as a fact? Also if this reddit page you pulled it from is SaltierThanCrait, than yeah you should know better. STC is openly altright and engages in rants about shitting on feminism.

You are an adult, you should know better spread Reddit headlines as facts.

Oh and 300m-500m is not normal for Star Wars.... no Star Wars film not even TFA opened anywhere near 300m.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm raising my hand. Honestly saw a reddit post about it, said "Huh, how about that", and went past it. What really gets me is how apparently i'm "alt-right" for hating a bad movie for being bad.
"I didn't actually read or watch anything I was just stating something I saw in a title without ever verifying the information" is still a world class bullshit way to discuss anything. Check your sources and don't just mindlessly reiterate things. Come on dude.

Also, I'm not calling you alt right, i'm specifically telling you to stop using talking points that come from alt right friendly places.

Depends. If Star Wars was going to legitimately die, no. I'm not sure what the openings for the other movies were to compare, but if your normal opening weekend would be 300-500m, yeah, 200m would be bad.
Which SW film had a 300-500m opening?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
"I didn't actually read or watch anything I was just stating something I saw in a title without ever verifying the information" is still a world class bullshit way to discuss anything. Check your sources and don't just mindlessly reiterate things. Come on dude.

Also, I'm not calling you alt right, i'm specifically telling you to stop using talking points that come from alt right friendly places.

Exactly one. Every other one has had a very high OW but FA was a beast for the franchise and film in general. Same way Jurassic World the same year was abnormally successful for its series.

Edit: And TLJ was the second highest opening for a star Wars film. It's only been outdone in financial metrics by TFA as far as I see for the series.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to be accused of being alt right double check your sources and don't spread alt right propaganda. It ain't hard.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I should be one of those Youtube griffsters that just makes shit up, it's so easy to get clicks. I could live off my monthly Rian Johnson has been fired videos.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I should be one of those Youtube griffsters that just makes shit up, it's so easy to get clicks. I could live off my monthly Rian Johnson has been fired videos.
That's how "TLJ is a cinematic failure" YT star got 7M views. Dude outright admitted to grifting lol, I was a little surprised

Dec 21, 2017

I know, i know, I wanted to use a third point and it was the first one that came to mind. I also don't dabble enough in certain spheres to tell if something's "alt-right" or not. I've honestly never heard or seen of that Youtube channel to make any sorts of judgments. And i'm certainly not stupid enough to, let's say, watch Ben Shapiro's review of it to care about his opinion.

I said "if", it was rhetorical. I'm not sure of the other star wars' movies opening nights to tell you if 200m was "something disney execs should worry about" or "they should pop out the champagne!",

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly one. Every other one has had a very high OW but FA was a beast for the franchise and film in general. Same way Jurassic World the same year was abnormally successful for its series.
Exactly.

You really could though and that's the sad part because youtube refuses to do anything about their terrible content promotion.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will ignore DVD/Blue ray sales sales because I am only looking at box office numbers.

How is it clickbait to point out it has shown poor tracking. I am not claiming it will do worse.

Empire Strikes Back did less than A New Hope at the box office and Return of The Jedi did more than Empire at the box office.

Empire ruined Star Wars confirmed!

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is no universe where TROs has had "poor tracking".

we have had one tracking number released and it is far from poor.

The initial tracking we have is 185-225m opening. Final tracking for TLJ was 215m.

Last edited: