• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be rushed. Do more experimental stuff on D+ and look for and appoint a creative head to steer the ship to the next era of SWs

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
HsEEjX0.gif
they're doing subtle marketing for his upcoming film but getting their knives out.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I expect in 3-5 years when the next slate of movies are announced there will be people wondering why they took a break to begin with with theories and conspiracies around artificial inflated demand and Disney vault effect etc.

It's strange so many of pop cultural narratives are variations on hot takes about what happened most recently than a considered approach to the topic

I think Star Wars Movie fatigue is a thing and it's probably good they give it a rest for a bit. It's not like there won't be anything star wars to watch. I for one can't wait for the ObiWan series

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's obvious with hindsight that Disney overestimated the market's appetite for Star Wars content, but at the time they announced Force Awakens, there had only been one Avengers film, and I doubt even their wildest predictions had the MCU becoming the pervasive juggernaut it has. No other blockbuster franchise stands a chance.

I might think Rogue One is the best of the new crop of Star Wars films, but I think you have to admit that if they hadn't been facing down a slate of Marvel movies, the new core trilogy would have fared even better than it has - and been more enduring.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, it's always been a serialized franchise with 3 years minimum in between instalments (and nothing in between) and decade+ between trilogies for the first 6 films.

Trying to change it now into a "every 1-2 years" franchise is different and probably wasn't going to work.

Well I guess I didnn't know what exactly was meant by "cinematic universe" there, but 3 years doesn't really seem that long tbh lol

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should go on a decade long hiatus. SW under Disney hasnt been very good. Rogue one was good, and TFA was a good 6.5/10. TLJ was just bad... Like a 2/10. Unwatchable fanfiction.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's all a silly discussion when there will be straight up more minutes of live action star wars content released in the "interim" than currently even exists. Also even the article in the OP points out this is basically just a reiteration of what was already the case.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It would be nice if they waited like 5 years for the next trilogy to be made at the least. Profit off their toys and disney shows til then

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I hope they get the same director to direct all the movie in the next trilogy and go to a different time period preferably old republic. Extremely disliked all the movies in the prequel trilogy hopefully next one will be better.
The mass audience really doesn't care about the old republic. I'll be very surprised if that go back to that well.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the clamoring to put Star Wars on pause when Solo is the only one that didn't do that great.

I'm guessing we're a few years out from whatever movie Kevin Feige wants to make and then Rian Johnson somewhere in the mix down the line maybe?

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars doesn't work as something that can come out every 2 years until infinity, it was always an "event" franchise and you lose that if you release too many movies.

Expanding into television will serve the IP well and let them tell stories without having so much pressure on them.

Yeah I think this is spot-on. Imagine if Rogue One was a show instead. Could've developed the characters way more so you actually cared about their inevitable end.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
They can make it a cinematic universe but they need to expand beyond the core story and core characters. Who really wanted to see a movie about Han Solo without Harrison Ford?

They have to recognize that the opportunity to cash in on Luke, Leia, Han and the rest is past and make bad ass stories about new people.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's to rethink how they make SW movies. Current trilogy is so underwhelming

I think fans have to be somewhat realistic as well ... you're never getting the OT again. That's a once in a life time lightning in a bottle fluke that isn't happening again.

If the expectations are always there or "something close to that", odds are you're going to be continually disappointed.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I am all for this. Spend 10 years making Disney + shows and take your time before figuring out a new trilogy or whatever direction you decide. I know they aren't waiting 10 years before another theatrical release, but wishful thinking.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but I think they'll release a movie in 2022 and then in 2024 and then, I dunno, maybe 2026.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy but I think they'll release a movie in 2022 and then in 2024 and then, I dunno, maybe 2026.

2023 I think is probably more realistic. D&D's project getting scrapped and someone new (Fiege/Favreau?) will need at least 1-2 years to come up with a new concept/script. Then 6-8 months to shoot it. Then a few months for pre-production and post-production factored into that.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star Wars Movie fatigue is a thing and it's probably good they give it a rest for a bit. It's not like there won't be anything star wars to watch. I for one can't wait for the ObiWan series

See I keep seeing this but in the face of the MCU the only reason there is fatigue is that the creative direction isn't up to par. We get 3-4 Marvel movies a year but Fiege has been able to wrangle enough creative visions that the MCU hops genres and is diverse enough to remain fresh. SWs hasn't, thus creating that fatigue.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See I keep seeing this but in the face of the MCU the only reason there is fatigue is that the creative direction isn't up to par. We get 3-4 Marvel movies a year but Fiege has been able to wrangle enough creative visions that the MCU hops genres and is diverse enough to remain fresh. SWs hasn't, thus creating that fatigue.

Star Wars fans gonna learn the hard way that Star Wars isn't Marvel.

You can't turn an event movie franchise into something that's yearly.

Even the OT, if they had released them 1977, 1978, 1979 ... there would have been fatigue by the third film easily.

Marvel is a unique phenomenon which lends itself to many, many stories and characters due to the genre-bending universe that the comic books established for 70+ years.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
For the best. Hopefully next time they have a Full Story and Direction they want to go before starting another trilogy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
2023 I think is probably more realistic. D&D's project getting scrapped and someone new (Fiege/Favreau?) will need at least 1-2 years to come up with a new concept/script. Then 6-8 months to shoot it. Then a few months for pre-production and post-production factored into that.
2023 is Avatar, they have to release something in 2022 unless they want to fuck their schedule up until 2027.

Either they give 2022 to RJ, who has had a trilogy announced since 2017, or they're gonna quickly rush out a trilogy.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
In the mean time can they finally relax and let the EU move on from being stuck in OT adjacent hell?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Makes sense. They should have went 3 years in between the main saga films like 1 to 6.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree here. Star Wars needs a larger universe to play with and they are trying to build that now. I think EP7 and R1 success blinded Disney

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2023 is Avatar, they have to release something in 2022 unless they want to fuck their schedule up until 2027.

Either they give 2022 to RJ, who has had a trilogy announced since 2017, or they're gonna quickly rush out a trilogy.

Pretty sure it's gonna be Favreau/Fiege, that's just my guess. Think Rian they will put on hold for now. Talented director, but Disney is all about being safe and I think there was a bit too much heat on TLJ than they would've liked.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow even Disney doesn't have faith in the franchise anymore.

ST may have been a big mistake.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't replicate the MCU's cinematic universe success because Rogue One and Solo served no purpose in pushing any overarching story forward. People feel compelled to see every MCU film, even Ant-Man, because each film builds off the last towards an Avengers event film. They need to see them all so they know what's going on in the next one. Rogue One and Solo were meaningless prequels that answered questions nobody was asking. After RO people caught on that they didn't need to see the Story films to follow along with the Skywalker saga. If those two films had taken place between TFA-TLJ and TLJ-TROS, they would have been just as successful as the saga films. As they are they're just narrative wastes. But I think Disney has learned the wrong lesson here.