• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are cynical. Marvel has tons of trash movies and at the same time if they wanted theY could transform the franchise into something like Marvel but instead we got the Solo movies which honestly adds nothing to the universe and Rogue One which was a fun movie but I don't think it was necessary.

Not without radically changing the tone of the SW movies.

Marvel movies are basically half comedies, that keeps them light and fun for the "I don't give a crap about the universe" portion of the audience.

For SW to be like Marvel, they'd have to dramatically increase the number of jokes in the films.

5c78dcf7b49f53e3ad583c7f_mcu-joke-count-visu-0103.jpg

The least successful Marvel movie is also the one with the fewest jokes (Hulk). Not a coincidence. The average Star Wars film has maybe like 10 or 15 jokes total?

Even if Star Wars could copy that, I still think they run into the problem of the genre thing. They don't have the ability to easily change genres the way Marvel does and if you release too many movies, average movie goers would fatigue of it quickly.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
But isn't Rian the safe choice now? He is the only director who delivered a SW movie without major production problems. And the movie was both a financial and critical hit.

+ he has been working on conceptualizing the new trilogy for two years now.
They announced the Rian trilogy before TLJ even released. Why would you greenlight a trilogy when you don't even know how the first movie will be received? Because you want to sell the first movie by signaling to audiences that the studio thinks the movie is SO GOOD that they will sign on 3 more sight unseen. It's called a bluff.

Of course, TLJ actual reception was a disaster for the franchise. The following movie bombed, and TROS is tracking well under by some metrics.

The thing about the SW franchise is that episodic movies will always sell, regardless of director or quality. They are a continuation of a decades old story that so many are invested in. Any side story in the SW universe has to stand on its own merit and fans will be far more willing to just wait and see. So yeah theres going to be an episode 10. And there won't be a Rian trilogy. There might have been if TLJ had been well recieved, but it wasn't.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not without radically changing the tone of the SW movies.

Marvel movies are basically half comedies, that keeps them light and fun for the "I don't give a crap about the universe" portion of the audience.

For SW to be like Marvel, they'd have to dramatically increase the number of jokes in the films.

5c78dcf7b49f53e3ad583c7f_mcu-joke-count-visu-0103.jpg

The least successful Marvel movie is also the one with the fewest jokes (Hulk). Not a coincidence. The average Star Wars film has maybe like 10 or 15 jokes total?

Even if Star Wars could copy that, I still think they run into the problem of the genre thing. They don't have the ability to easily change genres the way Marvel does and if you release too many movies, average movie goers would fatigue of it quickly.

They could make movies with different tones inside the Star Wars Universe, I don't know why this is a creative barrier to them? It could work.

And BTW this jokes charts is really interesting. Thanks for this, haven't seen it before.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this even a thread? We've known this since May.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we knew this already. Let's hope that's it for the entirety of the characters, time and story from the past 3. They can keep them in animated form or tv where I can ignore them like clone wars etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Fans have waited from 83-99, and 05-15. With 3 years in between each movie in the first two trilogies. We can handle a wait, which is likely only 3 years anyway based on what they've previously said.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
They announced the Rian trilogy before TLJ even released. Why would you greenlight a trilogy when you don't even know how the first movie will be received? Because you want to sell the first movie by signaling to audiences that the studio thinks the movie is SO GOOD that they will sign on 3 more sight unseen. It's called a bluff.

Of course, TLJ actual reception was a disaster for the franchise. The following movie bombed, and TROS is tracking well under by some metrics.

The thing about the SW franchise is that episodic movies will always sell, regardless of director or quality. They are a continuation of a decades old story that so many are invested in. Any side story in the SW universe has to stand on its own merit and fans will be far more willing to just wait and see. So yeah theres going to be an episode 10. And there won't be a Rian trilogy. There might have been if TLJ had been well recieved, but it wasn't.
... But it was well-received critically and financially outside of a vocal minority. It's just that said vocal minority is VERY vocal about disliking it, and will remind you so every chance they get.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this even a thread? We've known this since May.

People think this means they are changing their schedule again. The truth is that we got a star wars movie per year since 2015 and now we will wait for 2022 (3 years gap till the next movie). The hiatus is the same as we know before.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could make movies with different tones inside the Star Wars Universe, I don't know why this is a creative barrier to them? It could work.

And BTW this jokes charts is really interesting. Thanks for this, haven't seen it before.

People just say this but I don't think it's that easy for SW.

Marvel established its tone in Iron Man and Thor and especially the first Avengers movie. SW has already had 11 films ... they can add more humor, but even that comes with risks because now you're going to simultaneously have a bunch of SW fans crying that the movies are too jokey now.

They freaked over one "yo momma" joke from Poe, don't see SW fans' reacting maturely if they tried to install the Marvel tone into SW too much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kept me wanting more. Now I don't.
Probably because the prequels gave you three disjointed stories that take place at completely different time period of the same person and then skipped all the legwork you buidl character relationships due to timeskips. Compared to now where we're getting complete character arcs and well written stories. 👀 Hard to imagine more of the ST, you know, what with it being a complete story.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they really? I mean we're getting Mandalorian and Kenobi shows which are going to be better and longer than movies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Avatar 3 is Dec. 2023, then new Star Wars for for May 2023 would be fine, that's not interfering with anything.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was already known? The next movie isn't scheduled until 2022.

Although that might have changed with D&D's exit, so who knows.

We're also getting all the upcoming D+ shows so technically it's still business as usual.

Not that I mind at all. I can't get enough Star Wars so I say bring it on!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just keep giving us tv shows and video games pls

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
If Avatar 3 is Dec. 2023, then new Star Wars for for May 2023 would be fine, that's not interfering with anything.
Disney have made it clear they want Star Wars only occupying Christmas slots ever since Solo bombed.

They literally delayed all the Avatar sequels to service this idea of staking out Xmas slots for at least 7 consecutive years.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney have made it clear they want Star Wars only occupying Christmas slots ever since Solo bombed.

They've never said anything to that effect, all they've said is the idea of having SW be a yearly type of franchise was a mistake.

Avatar has Dec. 2023, Dec. 2024, Dec. 2025 apparently staked out already. That's not gonna work with Star Wars.

James Cameron owns December. SW has an established history of doing just fine in May.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
There's still a movie programmed for 2022. This isn't news, he said it already before. And there will be shows in the meantime.

Dec 12, 2017
Solo failed because it's Solo, SW has a long established history of launching successfully in May.

The move to December was only done because JJ Abrams came on board too late for Episode VII, otherwise that was supposed to be May as well.
Executives would likely want no part of another potential May debacle.

December is a very safe spot for Disney to roll SW into. No competition for them there. Easy pickings. I doubt they move Marvel films from May and doubt more they want to have to battle against the summer offerings of other studios.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
They've never said anything to that effect, all they've said is the idea of having SW be a yearly type of franchise was a mistake.

Avatar has Dec. 2023, Dec. 2024, Dec. 2025 apparently staked out already. That's not gonna work with Star Wars.

James Cameron owns December. SW has an established history of doing just fine in May.

I think it's less to do with how Solo performed and more to do with how well TFA performed. They recognise how lucrative the Xmas slot is and want Star Wars there to push the notion of Xmas as either Star Wars or Avatar season.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Executives would likely want no part of another potential May debacle.

December is a very safe spot for Disney to roll SW into. No competition for them there. Easy pickings. I doubt they move Marvel films from May and doubt more they want to have to battle against the summer offerings of other studios.

Dec. 2024 and Dec. 2025 are already slated for Avatar, and quite frankly you don't fuck with James Cameron and December. He made that a box office month, he's December's daddy.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... But it was well-received critically and financially outside of a vocal minority. It's just that said vocal minority is VERY vocal about disliking it, and will remind you so every chance they get.
Audience hate is not minority imo. No matter wht forums i go to beside this its disliked. Audience score is the lowest for any SW main films in RT. Low score on IMDB for a SW movie. TLJ critic videos have millions of views on youtube with tremendous like to dislike ratio. Most audience especially old SW fans imo hate that movie and rightfully so. Its nothing but some nonsense.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Think they will look to move back into the traditional May/summer slot for Star Wars. The only reason they went to December in the first place was because JJ Abrams didn't have enough time to make a summer release and that caused a ripple effect for the other films.
Nope wont happen looked what happened to solo. It bombed awful, that's honestly why I think they are stopping star wars movies for a bit.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Solo failed because it's Solo, SW has a long established history of launching successfully in May.

The move to December was only done because JJ Abrams came on board too late for Episode VII, otherwise that was supposed to be May as well.
I think a lot of people are just (rightfully) worried Disney still doesn't understand that Solo failed because - regardless of what someone thought about TLJ - nobody wanted a fucking Han Solo movie. He's a great character - and the movie itself was fine as a pulp adventure film - but I don't need to know his origins, and the movie didn't really need to exist.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol at anyone who thinks Solo would've done huge business in December. That movie was gonna do the exact same business no matter where you released it.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
For the best, please map out years worth of content. I never want to go back to the nostalgia fests and tiny galaxy feel of the ST

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame Disney more for
I think a lot of people are just (rightfully) worried Disney still doesn't understand that Solo failed because - regardless of what someone thought about TLJ - nobody wanted a fucking Han Solo movie. He's a great character - and the movie itself was fine as a pulp adventure film - but I don't need to know his origins, and the movie didn't really need to exist.
neither did the ST but here we are. Should have done something new completely.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Audience hate is not minority imo. No matter wht forums i go to beside this its disliked. Audience score is the lowest for any SW main films in RT. Low score on IMDB for a SW movie. TLJ critic videos have millions of views on youtube with tremendous like to dislike ratio. Most audience especially old SW fans imo hate that movie and rightfully so. Its nothing but some nonsense.
... It has a 7.1 on imdb, which - once again - indicates minority of people disliked the film. And YouTube is a terrible metric for that, since a decent amount of those channels also peddle alt-right garbage like MauLer and Geeks + Gamers, and just as likely get their likes for appealing to people's biases and prejudices.

Dec 12, 2017
lol at anyone who thinks Solo would've done huge business in December. That movie was gonna do the exact same business no matter where you released it.
It doesn't matter what anyone outside Disney thinks.

Basic PnL will drive Disney to steer clear of May when 3/4 (and soon to be 4/5) movies that they released in December hit a billion+.