• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they can actually take their time to expand this franchise past the OT and the Skywalkers. Give me all brand new stories.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm skeptical they can hit December 2022 if they're starting from scratch here.

JJ Abrams was put on Star Wars in Jan 2013 and still the project was very rushed for Dec 2015 and they used large chunks of the story concept Arndt/Lucas had already laid out.

Dec 2022 would've been the date for D&D's trilogy, but that pre-assumes they already had a story/script concept well into a phase were some kind of pre-production could be underway.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Audience hate is not minority imo. No matter wht forums i go to beside this its disliked. Audience score is the lowest for any SW main films in RT. Low score on IMDB for a SW movie. TLJ critic videos have millions of views on youtube with tremendous like to dislike ratio. Most audience especially old SW fans imo hate that movie and rightfully so. Its nothing but some nonsense.
Man watchmen must be one the worst shows on air right now, if we go by user metrics.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Disney have made it clear they want Star Wars only occupying Christmas slots ever since Solo bombed.

They literally delayed all the Avatar sequels to service this idea of staking out Xmas slots for at least 7 consecutive years.

It's not as if they're sitting on a pile of finished Avatar movies that are getting sidelined for Star Wars. If Avatar 2 and 3 were ready or near ready to go, Disney could still drop them in 2020 and 21. But this being Avatar and James Cameron I'll guess that that's not the case lol.

Given how many times Avatar 2 kept falling back one year after another, the idea of Cameron releasing back to back movies in '20/21 and '24/25 didn't seem very realistic anyway

Are we sure that by "hiatus" he doesn't simply mean "no new movies until December 2022"?
That is the hiatus.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Probably because the prequels gave you three disjointed stories that take place at completely different time period of the same person and then skipped all the legwork you buidl character relationships due to timeskips. Compared to now where we're getting complete character arcs and well written stories. đź‘€ Hard to imagine more of the ST, you know, what with it being a complete story.
I don't know. I don't have specific complaints about 7/8 but they just left me wanting something else. 4-6 while nothing along the lines of 1-3 still had that SW feel to them, for me. It's hard to explain when I try to really dissect it but these new films just feel very different. Not terrible different, just different. So much so that 9 will be the first Star Wars film I won't see in the theater. I just have no desire to deal with the cost or lines and will gladly wait until it's out on Blu-Ray.

Prob like you said that we had to experience new characters, new stories and a future that doesn't sit well with me with these new films compared to more of what we already knew with the prequels. I just really hate what they did with Luke I guess, he really deserved more imo and the story so far has been very forgettable.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what anyone outside Disney thinks.

Basic PnL will drive Disney to steer clear of May when 3/4 (and soon to be 4/5) movies that they released in December hit a billion+.

I don't think they can hit December 2022 period. Now that D&D are out they're gonna bring in someone new (Fiege/Favreau is my guess), and that's going to set the project back at least six months.

Dec 12, 2017
By the time another SW film releases, 9-10 more MCU films will have released.

I don't think they can hit December 2022 period. Now that D&D are out they're gonna bring in someone new (Fiege/Favreau is my guess), and that's going to set the project back at least six months.
I'm sure they can fast track something original for 2022, especially if it is a one off like the trades seem to imply it will be.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Favreau is busy doing mando season 2.. and the animated show he is doing with Filoni.

Can Disney afford to wait till he done with mando?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as if they're sitting on a pile of finished Avatar movies that are getting sidelined for Star Wars. If Avatar 2 and 3 were ready or near ready to go, Disney could still drop them in 2020 and 21. But this being Avatar and James Cameron I'll guess that that's not the case lol.

Given how many times Avatar 2 kept falling back one year after another, the idea of Cameron releasing back to back movies in '20/21 and '24/25 didn't seem very realistic anyway

That is the hiatus.
Well by all reports Avatar 2/3 were well on track for 20/21.
They finished all the mocap shooting (which comprises 90% of the films) back in August of 2018 for 2, 3 and part of 4. Footage was delivered to WETA in '18. They would have had more than 2 years of post production time for Avatar 2.

They're also about to wrap their live action shooting block for 2/3 and part of 4 as well.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm skeptical they can hit December 2022 if they're starting from scratch here.

JJ Abrams was put on Star Wars in Jan 2013 and still the project was very rushed for Dec 2015 and they used large chunks of the story concept Arndt/Lucas had already laid out.

Dec 2022 would've been the date for D&D's trilogy, but that pre-assumes they already had a story/script concept well into a phase were some kind of pre-production could be underway.
Three years from start to finish is a pretty usual amount of time for a blockbuster. Maybe even above average. D&D only started work on their Star Wars this past summer and hadn't written more than a treatment before leaving.

In any event, I guess it's a good thing Rian Johnson has been noodling his trilogy for a while!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
why would they bring someone else when they already have rian johnson ready to go?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I mean do they even have a story concept that's fleshed out? They better not rush that aspect of it.

No doubt that they are currently studying which movie the 2022 one will be. Rian very likely already has a story treatment, at the very least, for his trilogy, Feige was said to even have an actor in mind for his movie, and there are likely a few story treatments that progressed a lot from D&D's movies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Three years from start to finish is a pretty usual amount of time for a blockbuster. Maybe even above average. D&D only started work on their Star Wars this past summer and hadn't written more than a treatment before leaving.

In any event, I guess it's a good thing Rian Johnson has been noodling his trilogy for a while!

Problem with that is Star Wars isn't your average blockbuster and if they're planning for a series it requires likely a significantly larger amount of time to figure out what you're doing for three films, not just one. That's one of the problems with the current trilogy.

Dec 12, 2017
Like who cares? Your whole bit about Star Wars must be the only franchise people care about or something is wrong with the universe is stupid to begin with. So what if Marvel is having a great run right now and is the top dog.
The CEO of the company that owns both properties, SW and Marvel, has decided that he will get 9-10 movies from 1 property and put the other on hiatus for 3 years.

That is what happened, man.

That is why it is relevant and not the same as The Rock or Vin Diesel or whoever else you want to roll out as bad example.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder of known films release schedule starting with Star Wars 2022:

2022 Films
2/18/22 DIS UNTITLED MARVEL
3/18/22 DIS UNTITLED PIXAR
5/6/22 DIS UNTITLED MARVEL
5/27/22 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
6/17/22 DIS UNTITLED PIXAR
7/8/22 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
7/29/22 DIS UNTITLED MARVEL
10/7/22 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
11/4/22 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
Wed 11/23/22 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION
12/16/22 DIS UNTITLED STAR WARS

2023 Films

2/17/23 DIS UNTITLED DISNEY LIVE ACTION
12/22/23 FOX AVATAR 3

2024 Films
12/20/24 DIS UNTITLED STAR WARS

2025 Films

12/19/25 FOX AVATAR 4

2026 Films
12/18/26 DIS UNTITLED STAR WARS

2027 Films

12/17/27 FOX AVATAR 5

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Well by all reports Avatar 2/3 were well on track for 20/21.
They finished all the mocap shooting (which comprises 90% of the films) back in August of 2018 for 2, 3 and part of 4. Footage was delivered to WETA in '18. They would have had more than 2 years of post production time for Avatar 2.

They're also about to wrap their live action shooting block for 2/3 and part of 4 as well.
If they were on track for 20/21, then they could still be released in 20/21. There was never any Star Wars announced for anything sooner than December 2022 so if 2 and 3 were ready to drop in the next couple years they still would be. Especially since Disney really has fuck all lined up for next Christmas. The fact they're sticking with Avatar 2 for 2021 makes me think Cameron is actually not on track to deliver a movie on time...surprising as that may be :P

Problem with that is Star Wars isn't your average blockbuster and if they're planning for a series it requires likely a significantly larger amount of time to figure out what you're doing for three films, not just one. That's one of the problems with the current trilogy.
Star Wars has never been planned out as a series in advance (and any plans that were were later dropped or drastically redone by the time production on later movies got started anyway). Star Wars may carry a lot more cultural cache than your average blockbuster, but at the end of the day it's still a movie that requires no more or less amount of time to make than other movies of a similar scope -- including other Star Wars films, which, before Disney, were also made on three-year intervals.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The CEO of the company that owns both properties, SW and Marvel, has decided that he will get 9-10 movies from 1 property and put the other on hiatus for 3 years.

That is why it is relevant and not the same as The Rock or Vin Diesel or whoever else you want to roll out as bad example.

and what's exactly your point with that comment?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does Obi-Wan have any release date in mind?

Best to give the movies a rest. Lest the shows fill the gap.
Filming is suppose to start in the summer so expect a 2021 release.

So in between the hiatus we'll get the following just on D+:
At least 2 seasons of Mando
At least 1 season of Cassian and K2
Obi-Wan

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because Star Wars can't handle being a multi-film per year franchise. This isn't pro sports where these are competing "teams" like you like to build it up as.

Dec 12, 2017
and what's exactly your point with that comment?
I find it interesting that Iger feels he can go 3 years without 1 property and not the other.

Because Star Wars can't handle being a multi-film per year franchise. This isn't pro sports where these are competing "teams" like you like to build it up as.
I stating facts and they are upsetting you to the point that you are creating sports analogies to create a narrative.

IDK what to tell you, man.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only IP that can handle multiple films per year are Marvel and DC and that's because of the nature of the comic book style of storytelling.

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, LOTR, Star Trek, would all fail if you tried to do that with those IP.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they have a storyline for the next set of Star War movies and don't just make it up as they go along.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm too invested and attached to the franchise that I can't be overly thrilled that there will be no film to look forward to for a long time soon, even if we accept that this decision will unquestionably lead to the next film being better than it would be otherwise. Star Wars is my thing and whilst I get it and all it's something that I've allowed myself to be accustomed to this last 5 years or so and that was cool.

Meh.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Thats probably a good thing. They tried to give us too much starwars at once and solo proved that audiences have a limit. One movie every few years is fine, we dont need one or two starwars films every year
The only thing Solo proved was that people aren't interested in a so-so Solo movie that doesn't star the OG Han Solo or at least someone people had previously grown to like as a young Solo before pushing a big movie starring him (i.e. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan who is now getting a hyped/positively received Disney+ show because people really took to his portrayal in 3 previous (shitty, even) movies).

All in all Solo didn't do much worse than many MCU movies. It's just the ridiculous price tag due to basically filming much of the movie twice that ultimately made the movie a failure.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Star Wars fans" aren't as large of a fanbase as they think they are, they've overestimated their sway/size for decades now, starting with claiming Episode I would easily destroy Titanic's box office take.

There's no "rule" that said Marvel couldn't become more popular. There's nothing that special about overtaking Star Wars post 1977, many movie IPs have done it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious. You keep trying to justify the CEO taking SW off the schedule for 3 years with "cause it's not Marvel".

I find that "LOL" worthy.

What about it? Marvel is more popular. What's the problem? Lots of movie IPs have done better head to head against Star Wars as an IP, there's nothing really new or fantastic about it.

Star Wars hasn't had the highest grossing film for any decade since the original 40+ years ago. It can't handle yearly instalments plain and simple.