• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Star Wars fans" aren't as large of a fanbase as they think they are, they've overestimated their sway/size for decades now, starting with claiming Episode I would easily destroy Titanic's box office take.

There's no "rule" that said Marvel couldn't become more popular. There's nothing that special about overtaking Star Wars post 1977, many movie IPs have done it.

I think the vast majority of "Star Wars Fans" are very casual about the franchise, especially when it doesn't have things from the OT or different actors playing iconic roles.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
If they were on track for 20/21, then they could still be released in 20/21. There was never any Star Wars announced for anything sooner than December 2022 so if 2 and 3 were ready to drop in the next couple years they still would be. Especially since Disney really has fuck all lined up for next Christmas. The fact they're sticking with Avatar 2 for 2021 makes me think Cameron is actually not on track to deliver a movie on time...surprising as that may be :P
They were on track though. The announcement that the Avatar sequels were being delayed came at the same time Iger said they tried to do too much too fast with Star Wars and have over saturated their release schedule. The reason the Avatar sequels were delayed was to satisfy a bi-annual release schedule to space Star Wars our to combat that oversaturated SW problem and use the Avatar sequels to space them out.

Their reason for doing it was obvious to the point that every rag was commenting the same thing.

Avatar 2 isn't dropping in 2020 because they're not/were not far enough along to release any SW film in 2021 to begin their new schedule. So now Xmas 2020 belongs to Spielberg's West Side Story.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the vast majority of "Star Wars Fans" are very casual about the franchise, especially when it doesn't have things from the OT or different actors playing iconic roles.

There's a big chunk of the audience that really aren't "Star Wars fans" at all. They get roped into seeing one if there's a ton of hype like the original in '77, or Episode I in '99, or TFA in 2015 ... when they are all hyped as "event" movies.

Take that away though and SW box office becomes much more pedestrian.

Dec 12, 2017
What about it? Marvel is more popular. What's the problem? Lots of movie IPs have done better head to head against Star Wars as an IP, there's nothing really new or fantastic about it.

Star Wars hasn't had the highest grossing film for any decade since the original 40+ years ago.
What does ANY of that have to do with the basic fact that the CEO of Disney finds it fine not to have SW on the release schedule for 3 years?

Cause that is all I said.

Is it the Rock? Is it IPs? Is it sports? Is it "cause not Marvel"? Is it some other completely unrelated thing?

I mentioned one factual thing and that opened up a tangent vortex for you.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does ANY of that have to do with the basic fact that the CEO of Disney finds it fine not to have SW on the release schedule for 3 years?

Cause that is all I said.

Is it the Rock? Is it IPs? Is it sports? Is it "cause not Marvel"? Is it some other completely unrelated thing?

I mentioned one factual thing and that opened up a tangent vortex for you.

Star Wars can't deal with being a yearly franchise and Iger is making the right call.

It ain't Marvel. Never was, never gonna be.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if that is how you feel, why the barrage of unrelated tangents?

I haven't brought up anything unrelated, you're the one with this weird passive aggressive complex where you assign some kind of imaginary box office throne to Star Wars which doesn't even exist in the first place and then get upset because "Marvel is winning" like a parent shaming their child for only getting a B on their report card or something, lol.

Just because some franchise you fell in love with at age 6 now has to share the limelight with something else thats popular doesn't mean something is amiss in the universe.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
3-5 year gap to the next one instead of 2, yeah.

Hope they take more chances and/or commit to anthology movies that are totally original stories instead of prequels/explanations/secret histories of a specific thing.

It would actually be really cool if they started in anthology mode to establish a new era and THEN shift into traditional space opera stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
I haven't brought up anything unrelated, you're the one with this weird passive aggressive complex.
You mentioned The Rock (who makes films for a myriad of studios) in a discussion about the CEO of the company that owns both properties we are discussing, as a counterpoint.

You also tried assigning sports fandom to try and refute a basic fact.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mentioned The Rock (who makes films for a myriad of studios) in a discussion about the CEO of the company that owns both properties we are discussing, as a counterpoint.

You also tried assigning sports fandom to try and refute a basic fact.

OK ... and?

Your post isn't even accurate, some other poster said you're weird for trying to turn things into some kind of sports-like thing by the way. I'd agree with that poster though.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The gap between each Star Wars trilogy film should be 3 years and each new trilogy should be 10 years. That means the next trilogy should be out by 2030 and the one after that 2046

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars can't deal with being a yearly franchise and Iger is making the right call.

It ain't Marvel. Never was, never gonna be.

I think Star Wars could potentially be a yearly franchise (not as a massive juggernaut of the box office since it won't be an event but really solid box office returns) but Lucasfilm fumbled a bit when they made all 4 of the new movies so focused on the OT making the Star Wars galaxy feel like the smallest galaxy in existence. I think it also really hurt them worldwide since there's a lot of areas of the world that don't really care about the Star Wars OT (like China) and it's going to be interesting to see if Lucasfilm and Disney can win the people back who lost all interest in Disney Star Wars due to not caring about the OT.

There's little doubt in my mind the long term goal for Disney is making Star Wars a yearly franchise that can earn them a billion+ at the box office each year. I think that's a big reason they're bringing in Feige. I don't think they're going to ever expect multiple films a year but I could be wrong. Time will tell if it's possible or not.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gap between each Star Wars trilogy film should be 3 years and each new trilogy should be 10 years

We all know Disney is not going to do that.

Star Wars fans were always going to have to come to terms with the idea of Star Wars "just being another franchise" at some point.

At some point there's so many films, that each new one simply isn't that special. It's an impossible expectation to maintain.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Star Wars could potentially be a yearly franchise (not as a massive juggernaut of the box office since it won't be an event but really solid box office returns) but Lucasfilm fumbled a bit when they made all 4 of the new movies so focused on the OT making the Star Wars galaxy feel like the smallest galaxy in existence. I think it also really hurt them worldwide since there's a lot of areas of the world that don't really care about the Star Wars OT (like China) and it's going to be interesting to see if Lucasfilm and Disney can win the people back who lost all interest in Disney Star Wars due to not caring about the OT.

There's little doubt in my mind the long term goal for Disney is making Star Wars a yearly franchise that can earn them a billion+ at the box office each year. I think that's a big reason they're bringing in Feige. I don't think they're going to ever expect multiple films a year but I could be wrong. Time will tell if it's possible or not.

I'm very dubious about that. SW fanatics overrate the EU as something they think everyone wants to see.

Fiege isn't some genius that can turn everything into a yearly IP, the comic book universes simply are radically different.

The X-Men portion of Marvel alone is as deep if not deeper than the Star Wars EU period. Wolverine is a more popular character than any EU character.

The nature of the comic business requires thousands of characters with monthly stories told in like 30-40 different story arcs. Fiege has been smart in adopting a tone that is palatable to "non-nerds" as well, you don't have to give a shit about Infinity Stones, you can find fat Liam Hemsworth funny and the movie works on that level.

I don't think Star Wars has the flexibility to pull that off.

The movies are too serious and if you try to make them funny, then you are going to open up another shit storm of nerds who are now angry that you've made the movies too jokey. Marvel doesn't have this problem because Iron Man established that as a central point of the MCU from near the get go.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I ponder somewhat on if things would change once Iger steps down (since it is happening soon) and someone else comes in and goes... you know what, nah. You never know, it is a slight possibility.

But it's the right call by Iger. They started pumping these things out and I don't think they got what they (Disney) wanted.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The gap between each Star Wars trilogy film should be 3 years and each new trilogy should be 10 years. That means the next trilogy should be out by 2030 and the one after that 2046
Holy fuk breh I aint getting younger.

Its 120 minutes live action SW per year.

edit: but maybe i will be cynical as shit by then and shit on the new movies too. Isn't that the lifecycle of a SW fan?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If space MCU was all there was, you'd be seeing a decline in box office too. No one wants to see a yearly Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain Marvel in space film even if you changed up the characters.
The problem is I don't really feel like they're exploiting the expansiveness of the Star Wars IP yet. What have they done with the license thus far? A solid yet inarguably derivative trilogy, and two prequels that heavily rely on the OT trilogy.

The Mandalorian to me is looking like the first thing that truly just runs with the potential.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is I don't really feel like they're exploiting the expansiveness of the Star Wars IP yet. What have they done with the license thus far? A solid yet inarguably derivative trilogy, and two prequels that heavily rely on the OT trilogy.

The Mandalorian to me is looking like the first thing that truly just runs with the potential.

They can explore other aspects of the universe.

If you're gonna demand $800+ million per picture for 2-3 Star Wars movies a year or even yearly Star Wars though ... I'll just say no fucking chance that was ever gonna work.

It wouldn't work for Jurassic Park or LOTR (as deep of lore as Star Wars) or Star Trek (ditto) either.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
They can explore other aspects of the universe.

If you're gonna demand $800+ million per picture for 2-3 Star Wars movies a year or even yearly Star Wars though ... I'll just say no fucking chance that was ever gonna work.

It wouldn't work for Jurassic Park or LOTR (as deep of lore as Star Wars) or Star Trek (ditto) either.
Really, too much of a good thing will never work. I fully expect the MCU to slow down post EndGame, whether they like it or not.

If everything's amazing, nothing is. We need anticipation. We need buildup.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Good. Star Wars isn't the MCU, nor should it aspire to be. Hopefully, the next trilogy (if that's what ends up happening) will be written as a single piece rather than this piecemeal Frankenstein that 7, 8, and 9 have turned into.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
That seems a little excessive. Wasn't the reason for the gap between the OT and Prequels due to George Lucas waiting for cgi technology to mature? How would they justify that sort of thing now?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Good. Star Wars isn't the MCU, nor should it aspire to be. Hopefully, the next trilogy (if that's what ends up happening) will be written as a single piece rather than this piecemeal Frankenstein that 7, 8, and 9 have turned into.
It's bizaaaarrre to me that they didn't clearly map 7-9 out. Like, I know George blatantly didn't for 4-6, but that's because he didn't know if he'd have the opportunity. You damn well knew you'd be able to make AT LEAST three films out of this nonsense.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really, too much of a good thing will never work. I fully expect the MCU to slow down post EndGame, whether they like it or not.

If everything's amazing, nothing is. We need anticipation. We need buildup.

Yeah probably even Marvel will have some struggles topping the Infinity War/Endgame 1-2 punch as well.

But comic books also have a host of rules and ideas that don't apply to other universes. For example you can "reboot" a comic character and no one bats an eyelash. Burton's Batman, Nolan's Batman, Batffleck are all completely separate entities.

No one questions that because it's "part of the rules" of comic books. This wouldn't work in Star Wars.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bizaaaarrre to me that they didn't clearly map 7-9 out. Like, I know George blatantly didn't for 4-6, but that's because he didn't know if he'd have the opportunity. You damn well knew you'd be able to make AT LEAST three films out of this nonsense.

My understanding is JJ Abrams did have a plan/outline for 7-9, they just didn't force Rian Johnson to follow it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Star Wars doesn't deserve to get milked like Marvel stuff anyway. Good. Leave the monthly movies to Marvel.

Make it a rare event as it should be.

However, Mandalorian is releasing in days so this feels slightly hollow. (I know this talking about features but still)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah probably even Marvel will have some struggles topping the Infinity War/Endgame 1-2 punch as well.

But comic books also have a host of rules and ideas that don't apply to other universes. For example you can "reboot" a comic character and no one bats an eyelash. Burton's Batman, Nolan's Batman, Batffleck are all completely separate entities.

No one questions that because it's "part of the rules" of comic books. This wouldn't work in Star Wars.
Partially why people reacted so strongly to Solo I guess.

Don't know if I entirely agree though, I think recasting Cap or Iron Man in the near future will be a tall order.

Star Wars doesn't deserve to get milked like Marvel stuff anyway. Good. Leave the monthly movies to Marvel.

Make it a rare event as it should be.

However, Mandalorian is releasing in days so this feels slightly hollow. (I know this talking about features but still)

Looool no "milking" the MCU's done has been as lame-ass as Solo man. Keep trying.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully something better comes from this and they don't just spend the time playing it safe with Feige Marvel like input to get people hooked.

The next one after Rise needs to be wow and not just cool. I want to be surprised.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
They were on track though. The announcement that the Avatar sequels were being delayed came at the same time Iger said they tried to do too much too fast with Star Wars and have over saturated their release schedule. The reason the Avatar sequels were delayed was to satisfy a bi-annual release schedule to space Star Wars our to combat that oversaturated SW problem and use the Avatar sequels to space them out.

Their reason for doing it was obvious to the point that every rag was commenting the same thing.

Avatar 2 isn't dropping in 2020 because they're not/were not far enough along to release any SW film in 2021 to begin their new schedule. So now Xmas 2020 belongs to Spielberg's West Side Story.
But no Star Wars was ever releasing in 2021. The first one announced as part of that bi-annual plan was for 2022. So if Avatar 2 and 3 were on track for those 20/21 dates, why not release them there, drop Star Wars in 22, then Avatar 4 in 23, etc.? I don't know if I see West Side Story really doing gangbusters as Disney's premiere Holiday 2020 film, and I don't know if I buy that Disney will be sitting on a fully finished ready to go Avatar 2 for a full year. Given the history of development on the Avatar sequels, it just strikes me as more likely that Avatar 2 will not actually be ready to go for next year even if it seemed like it has been on track, as I'm sure it had seemed on track for every other release date it missed. Then again, you're a lot more versed in this franchise's production than I am.

Dec 22, 2017
Like, I know George blatantly didn't for 4-6, but that's because he didn't know if he'd have the opportunity.

Also, George was going from 0 to something, so it was a lot easier to make it up as he went. There wasn't an established, lived-in universe that people had obsessed over for 40 years.

Less is more with Star Wars. Keep it limited. Keep it sacred.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Lucas had an outline for 9-12 films when he first started. It's just that when the reality of big-budget moviemaking hits, a lot of those plans will end up falling to the wayside for one reason or another. Even when Lucas came on to do the prequel trilogy, a series of films that he knew would have a definitive beginning, middle, and end, he still ended up winging a lot of it from movie to movie. Which is why the story of the prequel trilogy is so lopsided, and the bulk of important events end up happening in ROTS (and why TPM feels so inconsequential compared to the other two).

Movies are just too complicated to make them to adhere to these elaborately mapped out overarching storylines built years in advance. And it's not fun or appealing for the directors to come in and just shoot someone else's story. Marvel does not plan out its movies like that either. They land on a few certain end points, but otherwise give their directors a lot of leeway.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And I hope it stays there, no matter how tempted they are to do another ANH redux for $$$.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah, we had a good few years, but it's time for Star Wars to take a nap again. Star Wars is great when it comes back after a few years of hiding beneath the waves in a city of the sleeping dead.

Jul 18, 2018
They should have started with making a tv show that explored the universe like Star Trek. Then it leads to a huge war/event which can turn into a 2 or 3 part movie. Rinse & cycle this

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
But no Star Wars was ever releasing in 2021. The first one announced as part of that bi-annual plan was for 2022. So if Avatar 2 and 3 were on track for those 20/21 dates, why not release them there, drop Star Wars in 22, then Avatar 4 in 23, etc.? I don't know if I see West Side Story really doing gangbusters as Disney's premiere Holiday 2020 film, and I don't know if I buy that Disney will be sitting on a fully finished ready to go Avatar 2 for a full year. Given the history of development on the Avatar sequels, it just strikes me as more likely that Avatar 2 will not actually be ready to go for next year even if it seemed like it has been on track, as I'm sure it had seemed on track for every other release date it missed. Then again, you're a lot more versed in this franchise's production than I am.
I never said a Star Wars was releasing in 2021. They delayed Avatar because they couldn't have a Star Wars ready until 2022 at earliest and they wanted to have the alternating cycle be consistent.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I ponder somewhat on if things would change once Iger steps down (since it is happening soon) and someone else comes in and goes... you know what, nah. You never know, it is a slight possibility.

But it's the right call by Iger. They started pumping these things out and I don't think they got what they (Disney) wanted.

Iger is staying on till 2021, so even if the next ceo immediately changed his mind, it's still 2023-2024 before a movie will come out

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this could be good.

Give the characters time to age a bit. Then we could have a new film where like, following the conclusion of ep IX, Finn could kind of have lost his purpose and is back in his role as a Neo Imperial Trooper. And Poe could be struggling to lead a small group of noble opposition fighters against a massive planet destroying space base. And poor Rey, having absorbed so much force energy from Kylo and others over the years unleashes a massive force wave that kills half the galaxy, and all that loss brings back her fears of abandonment and runs home to a now even more barren Jakku, ignoring the call of the force and reluctant to join the fight against the new evil dark force user and his apprentice. Actually, what would make it really cool is if that evil force user was in fact... Palpatine! It would be a neat way to tie it into the other films.

I think it has a lot of potential and could really add a lot to those character's stories.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I see we're sticking with the "too much star wars" narrative as opposed to the "TLJ poisoned the well" narrative.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't see what was wrong with TFA, R1, and TLJ run (two of which were the best selling movies of the year, three billion grossers, one the biggest movie in American history) in just three years but ok.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Should go on a decade long hiatus. SW under Disney hasnt been very good. Rogue one was good, and TFA was a good 6.5/10. TLJ was just bad... Like a 2/10. Unwatchable fanfiction.
TLJ is better than every SW movie except maybe ESB. Return of the Jedi is so stupid and mostly trash apart from the finale and some ok moments of combat in space and a couple of cool moments of fighting in the forest. The prologue trilogy are unmitigated disasters apart from singular moments of decentness per movie. Rogue One is ok although entirely pointless.