• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is a 2 year gap between movies really a "hiatus?"

I would love Star Wars to just go away for like 5 years after this. I want the films to feel special again.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I see we're sticking with the "too much star wars" narrative as opposed to the "TLJ poisoned the well" narrative.
That poisoned well.
xxClsZa.png

mYI9jdK.png

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved the majority of Star Wars movies that have come out recently, but I'm super excited for The Madalorian and am totally down with seeing shit like that for a while and a hiatus from $200M+ budget blockbusters

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One more thing about the ridiculousness of this being a "hiatus". Each season of Star Wars TV (of which there will be at least 5 -- Mandalorian 1 and 2, Cassian Andor show, Obi-Wan show, and TCW Season 7) is equivalent to more than 3 movies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They announced the Rian trilogy before TLJ even released. Why would you greenlight a trilogy when you don't even know how the first movie will be received? Because you want to sell the first movie by signaling to audiences that the studio thinks the movie is SO GOOD that they will sign on 3 more sight unseen. It's called a bluff.

Of course, TLJ actual reception was a disaster for the franchise. The following movie bombed, and TROS is tracking well under by some metrics.

The thing about the SW franchise is that episodic movies will always sell, regardless of director or quality. They are a continuation of a decades old story that so many are invested in. Any side story in the SW universe has to stand on its own merit and fans will be far more willing to just wait and see. So yeah theres going to be an episode 10. And there won't be a Rian trilogy. There might have been if TLJ had been well recieved, but it wasn't.
Lol. TLJ was only hated by pedantic nerds who nitpicked the dumbest shit/couldn't accept that the story went into directions they didn't like, and alt right shitstains of humanity who didn't get their white straight male protagonist single-handedly pulling down star destroyers from space or Rey in a sexy slave costume or whatever. General public was fairly positive about it.

A movie doesn't do almost 1,5 billion if it's a disaster and has a horrible word of mouth. If it was that much of a disaster, it would have probably failed to make a billy.

Solo bombed on its own accord. No one knew or cared about some no-name actor depicting a younger Solo, and they failed to make the story look interesting in trailers. May was also not the best time to release the movie.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be a little bummed because I love Star Wars but, with the Disney+ shows coming along it won't be so bad of a wait.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Is a 2 year gap between movies really a "hiatus?"

I would love Star Wars to just go away for like 5 years after this. I want the films to feel special again.
Well, the hiatus isn't referring to there being a gap year between future films but rather the 3 year hiatus between TROS and 2022's Star Wars film.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Of course, TLJ actual reception was a disaster for the franchise.
Citation needed. What metric do you use for actual reception? 🤔

The following movie bombed and TROS is tracking well under by some metrics.

Why do people keep using this source when it's speculative clickbait.?

I mean....I know the reason why. But, it's still ridiculous to see. Like fam, people loved TLJ and are clearly excited for the last film. No need to try to put a spin reality.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ is better than every SW movie except maybe ESB. Return of the Jedi is so stupid and mostly trash apart from the finale and some ok moments of combat in space and a couple of cool moments of fighting in the forest. The prologue trilogy are unmitigated disasters apart from singular moments of decentness per movie. Rogue One is ok although entirely pointless.
If you think thats fine you have the right to your opinion. But disagree imo it's nonsense.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You have to wonder after two years.. are people even interested in facts?
No because it's an ever moving goalpost of "actually, THIS proves that the majority disliked this movie" because people can't cope with the fact that they're in the fucking minority. It's like, just disliking the film isn't enough, they HAVE to be the majority or at least half. It's bonkers at this point.

Dec 12, 2017
No because it's an ever moving goalpost of "actually, THIS proves that the majority disliked this movie" because people can't cope with the fact that they're in the fucking minority. It's like, just disliking the film isn't enough, they HAVE to be the majority or at least half. It's bonkers at this point.
Why does this rile you up though? If TROS is a box office success (and we have no reason to believe it won't be) then all this shit they are saying is moot.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If you think thats fine you have the right to your opinion. But disagree imo it's nonsense.
TLJ being a "2/10 trash fan fiction" movie is what is nonsense. These aren't perfect movies (not the OT trilogy either, and the PT is just trash throughout) but as far as blockbuster crowdpleasers go, TLJ is top tier. The only bigger issue is the middle that has maybe 5-10 minutes of filler that could've been trimmed, but something like that isn't enough to completely ruin a movie. Otherwise the issues are fairly minor (Rose kissing Finn was kinda bleh, Leia pulling herself to the ship looked silly).

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all can argue me all you want but I find it hilarious that people think Star Wars films need a break and in the same post say they can't wait for more Marvel content.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Not without radically changing the tone of the SW movies.

Marvel movies are basically half comedies, that keeps them light and fun for the "I don't give a crap about the universe" portion of the audience.

For SW to be like Marvel, they'd have to dramatically increase the number of jokes in the films.

5c78dcf7b49f53e3ad583c7f_mcu-joke-count-visu-0103.jpg

The least successful Marvel movie is also the one with the fewest jokes (Hulk). Not a coincidence. The average Star Wars film has maybe like 10 or 15 jokes total?

Even if Star Wars could copy that, I still think they run into the problem of the genre thing. They don't have the ability to easily change genres the way Marvel does and if you release too many movies, average movie goers would fatigue of it quickly.
Someone needs to do this for Jurassic

Dec 12, 2017
Well it's a good thing we have at least 3 live action shows, a continuation of TCW, and a new Filoni animation happening until then!
Would rather have original movies as well since i only care about Mando out of that offering.

Never watched TCW, have little interest in Cassian's further adventures and Obi Wan never got me excited even when it was a movie idea.

So i only got Mando Season 1 and 2 after TROS till 2022.

Dec 12, 2017
Because it's toxic af tbh. The constant fake news and hot takes drowns out legit discussion.
It doesn't matter though. People scream on the internet. They yell on the internet. I remember people talking mad shit when Black Panther was about to release. Shitting on it all over the internet in forums, comments, everywhere.

You know what made them STFU? When it opened to $202 million and made $1.3B.

If TROS makes a shit ton of money, the haters will likely move the goalposts again but THAT particular argument of theirs is gonna be dead.

All that "TLJ killed SW" shit will be washed.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
It's bizaaaarrre to me that they didn't clearly map 7-9 out. Like, I know George blatantly didn't for 4-6, but that's because he didn't know if he'd have the opportunity. You damn well knew you'd be able to make AT LEAST three films out of this nonsense.
Right? Even the prequels, for all of their numerous problems, feel all of one piece. This trilogy does not. It feels (at least to me) like 7 and 9 and—oh, yeah—8.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all can argue me all you want but I find it hilarious that people think Star Wars films need a break and in the same post say they can't wait for more Marvel content.
Those franchises are not the same

We do not need Frodo Baggins, a ring story. We do not need Ron Weasley : a potter story. Different franchises lend to different expectations and approaches.

Star wars is an epic saga event film franchise. They should stick with it at that