• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Lol. TLJ was only hated by pedantic nerds who nitpicked the dumbest shit/couldn't accept that the story went into directions they didn't like, and alt right shitstains of humanity who didn't get their white straight male protagonist single-handedly pulling down star destroyers from space or Rey in a sexy slave costume or whatever. General public was fairly positive about it.

A movie doesn't do almost 1,5 billion if it's a disaster and has a horrible word of mouth. If it was that much of a disaster, it would have probably failed to make a billy.

Solo bombed on its own accord. No one knew or cared about some no-name actor depicting a younger Solo, and they failed to make the story look interesting in trailers. May was also not the best time to release the movie.

Believe it or not, some people are allowed to not like a movie.

I disliked it a lot but I'm not toxic about it in any way.

Even the likes of Mark Hamill clearly have a lot of issues with it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Unfortunate, as I don't buy the "Star Wars fatigue" argument.

There was just a perfect storm of issues that lead to the Solo failure.

But if this will allow them some time to plan out a grand story post TROS, then I won't be upset. Just make sure directors are on board with the story beats they need to hit and you'll have people back.

Hell, having movies set with the old Sith Empire and Old Republic would be fascinating. Or even movies hundreds of years after TROS would be amazing. It's a big galaxy that can accept a lot of imaginative things. Just...plan it out.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Unfortunate, as I don't buy the "Star Wars fatigue" argument.

There was just a perfect storm of issues that lead to the Solo failure.

But if this will allow them some time to plan out a grand story post TROS, then I won't be upset. Just make sure directors are on board with the story beats they need to hit and you'll have people back.

Hell, having movies set with the old Sith Empire and Old Republic would be fascinating. Or even movies hundreds of years after TROS would be amazing. It's a big galaxy that can accept a lot of imaginative things. Just...plan it out.
Agreed, although there was planning with this trilogy, there was way too much push and pull, almost like a director's duel.

I'm all for free reign on creativity but.. Damn just imagine if either JJ or RJ had the entire trilogy or were responsible for the entire story. You'd see a lot more consistency and I think the flow would be better, instead of each director and writer feeling like they're making their one and only Star Wars movie (aside from Kasdan obviously).

I'd love to see the next trilogy far into the future, with only mere echoes of past trilogies, small references here and there.

No more resistance, no more first order, none of the previous characters.

Which IMO, is kind of what the ST should have been. It should have distanced itself.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
If they find a way to fuck him out of his trilogy, just throw SW away for good.

I am curious if they are going to stay on their timeline for him but just remove these Star Wars movies. Because the play was D&D doing their trilogy and then Rian. So maybe they decided not to rush Rian and his? fingers crossed?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am curious if they are going to stay on their timeline for him but just remove these Star Wars movies. Because the play was D&D doing their trilogy and then Rian. So maybe they decided not to rush Rian and his? fingers crossed?
Judging from RJ's recent commentary, to me, it sounds like his work was dependent on D&D's trilogy. So hopefully this means RJ is back on the menu.

There's no reason to keep him off of it now.

Not to mention, Knives Out is shaping up to (objectively) be his best work yet, based on critical reception.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least they seem to know they have messed up and are looking at how to go forward.

Star Wars has nowhere near the money making potential as Marvel right now. Even making 1 star wars movie a year seems too much.

Dec 12, 2017
Oh come on. Isn't that a bit dramatic? If LFL offered him another movie instead of 3 movies, that would be the end for you?

Especially when there are tons of new SW visionaries entering into the fray, like all the directors on Mando, including one that got the nod to completely helm ObiWan...SW is bigger than one director.

Dec 21, 2017
This might be for the best. If thier next trilogy is going to be in between "Game of Thrones Season 8" and "The Last Jedi", then yeah, send it to hell. At least the Sequel Trilogy has two movies directed by JJ to at least attempt to redeem it...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh come on. Isn't that a bit dramatic? If LFL offered him another movie instead of 3 movies, that would be the end for you?

Especially when there are tons of new SW visionaries entering into the fray, like all the directors on Mando, including one that got the nod to completely helm ObiWan...SW is bigger than one director.
RJ is just a no brainer, from a business and creative perspective. He's a proven writer and director who hasn't made a less than good movie yet. Regardless of if you like TLJ, he tries new/different things and steps outside of the typical formula. I don't agree with everything in it, but I respect that he tried something different. And this is all while having to respond to TFA, literally the moment after it ends.

All while being within budget, delivering the movie within the given timeframe, having excellent rapport with actors/coworkers, and with no production issues.

I don't really care if it's a trilogy, multiple separate stories, but he needs to be involved with SW. He's already expressed interest on a handful of occasions, and LF already officially announced a trilogy. If that's changed, they need to keep him on for films in some capacity, because he just makes too much sense.

That said, yeah, they need to expand the writer/directer arena to non-white guys, and I'm disappointed that it hasn't happened yet.

Management should be restructured if they cut him out of SW completely, because it's just that bad of a decision. I wasn't trying to state that "literally if he doesn't get a SW trilogy" SW should be done.

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, Surfinn LFL badly needs a more diverse creative eye making SW than White dudes. And people wonder why the main characters and stories seem to have a um...consistent trend.

I wonder what Ava Durnavey and/or Ryan Coogler would do in the SW universe but to this point, no one at LFL is interested in that prospect. 😐

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for Star Wars to step away from trilogies and follow more of the Marvel formula with regular "arcs" and have individual movies introduce new characters into that arc while still advancing a larger plot. I agree with others that felt that part of the reason Solo bombed was because it didn't really connect to anything important.

Jedi and bounty hunters are basically superheroes anyway. You could even create new kinds of heroes/villains that aren't either of those things since we're talking about an entire galaxy of possibilities.

I'm guessing that Episode 9 will end with some sort of definitive conclusion so with a clean slate I don't see why they couldn't create something wholly new in the Star Wars universe?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rogue One is still the best SW movie they made since the OT. It had obvious issues but had the right foundations: not trying to setup some future movies, just telling a story. Take this approach for TV where there would be more time to flesh out characters and you have a winner.

Basically, stop making damn movies, take the opportunity the TV series offer to make more engaging material instead. Movies are too limited by their duration, which forces a very formulaic approach to the detriment of this type of story. Now there is an alternative; you can make stories of any length of time by not making actual movies, which allows to break free from the three-act structure and its ilks.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is a good place for Lucasfilm to figure out what they want Star Wars to be outside of a Skywalker-centric trilogy.

Trying out different genres and/or tones in a television episode might give them a better sense of where to take future films.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
God, I hate Star Wars fans. A Star Wars movie every year sounds awesome. It's just dumb entertainment! Stop taking it so seriously! But no... If The Last Jedi ruined your life, go F yourself.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just seen this thread. Why did this make the news? We already know this. A new movie is coming in 2022.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Part of me wants to see them do a Star Wars trilogy that is pre-The Old Republic. Basically like Star Trek First Contact and show it more primitive/grounded with the first model of the Millennium Falcon created and the first lightsaber and the first Jedi and first Sith. Have it have more of an emphasis on "wars" in Star Wars. I guess for a lack of a better term I sorta want it to be like Firefly but with them chasing after the first lightsaber.

Dec 21, 2017
Well they're not giving George Lucas another trilogy so you don't have to worry.

If only George did another trilogy. I don't know what his plans were for his Sequel Trilogy, but after TLJ, it absolutely could NOT be worse.

Rian Johnson's only Star Wars movie isn't as good as the Holiday Special. THAT took some effort, and not the good kind.

You think it's worse than AOTC?

Maybe we shouldn't give another trilogy to a guy whose one movie has less character than that scene with Anakin bitching about Sand.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney is not entitled to give a whole trilogy to the man that made the worst Star Wars movie.
One of the most critically acclaimed Star Wars movies you mean.

Rian Johnson's only Star Wars movie isn't as good as the Holiday Special. THAT took some effort, and not the good kind.
Do you guys come from some alrernate universe where TLJ wasn't one of the most acclaimed movies in the franchise? It's honestly bizarre.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
When you see a string of $1B films across your 2 geek properties ( TFA, R1, BP, IW, TLJ, CM, EG) and then one fails to net $400M worldwide, it's gonna stand out and the financial peeps will panic and over react.

It's not the best but this is how shit works. If Solo had done, say slightly less than R1 numbers, we would likely have a Star Wars Story movie in 2020.
I heard that Solo-type movies and its sequels was the business plan going forward but given its spectacular failure, LucasArts have to throw it out and start from scratch again hence the hiatus.

While this is a rumor it makes a lot of sense why Solo spooked them so much. They needed a plan to properly spinoff from the established story and they failed spectacularly.

Frankly the expanded universe in both the games in books strongly indicates there is a lot that could be done that would make star wars fans happy that can draw in new people but they need time to rethink how they want to expand the universe.

Dec 21, 2017
Do you guys come from some alrernate universe where TLJ wasn't one of the most acclaimed movies in the franchise? It's honestly bizarre.

An Audience Score of 44% says it's acclaimed?

There are things to talk about, for sure, but Rian Johnson does to the Sequel Trilogy and Star Wars what M Night Shamylan does to Avatar: The Last Airbender, but with the reception that the movie is infinitely better than the show and you're a troll if you think otherwise.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are things to talk about, for sure, but Rian Johnson does to the Sequel Trilogy and Star Wars what M Night Shamylan does to Avatar: The Last Airbender, but with the reception that the movie is infinitely better than the show and you're a troll if you think otherwise.
Check the actual reviews of the film. It was critically acclaimed, that's a fact. If you think the RT audience score is at all reflective of what the audience thinks then you have been living under a rock for the past year.

RT changed the user rating system to require proof of ticket purchase for each review posted because of the trolling TLJ and Cap Marvel got where single users would register hundreds of accounts each to review bomb them for having women leads. RT confirmed this happened.

Also your comparison makes no fucking sense.

Avatar bombed and lost tons fo money and had horrible reviews. TLJ was a huge hit with excellent reviews.

There is nothing in common between them.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you think the RT audience score is at all reflective of what the audience thinks then you have been living under a rock for the past year.

RT changed the user rating system to require proof of ticket purchase for each review posted because of the trolling TLJ and Cap Marvel got where singleusers would register hundreds of accounts each to review bomb them for having women leads.

If this was the only reason for The Last Jedi having such a low audience score, The Force Awakens would have the same. Except it doesn't, 'cause it's sitting at 86%.

There's more to it than that.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this was the only reason for The Last Jedi having such a low audience score, The Force Awakens would have the same. Except it doesn't, 'cause it's sitting at 86%.

There's more to it than that.
TFA didn't have an alt-right rabid angry mob who screamed the movie was forcing feminist ideology. The alt-right scene bragged about using bot software to mass review bomb both it and Cap Marvel

It's why RT responded and changed their policy to require proof of ticket purchase.

people still using user scores to validate their opinion in the year 2019.
Review scores the own site said were not valid and changed because of lol.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
An audience score that the website literally admitted was to be the result of review bombing, a fact they couldn't deny after a pattern of progressive films being review bombed.

TLJ is the most overtly feminist SW film and after release the harassment and BS went up tenfold. It's literally all there is to it. ANY amount of review bombing invalidates user scores let alone the fact that the person in question doesn't even have to verify that they've seen the movie at all.

people still using user scores to validate their opinion in the year 2019.
Seeing people stoop so low as to present a review bombed user score which was part of a pattern of diverse movies being review bombed to validate their opinion is disheartening to say the least. Like, they seriously have it out so much for this film that a review score review bombed by the alt right and their "i'm not racist/sexist i'm a liberal BUT" allies is supposed to be legitimate.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

www.resetera.com

Rotten Tomatoes admits The Last Jedi was review bombed

....after previously saying the reviews came from legitimate users early last year. https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/18254548/film-review-sites-captain-marvel-bombing-changes-rotten-tomatoes-letterboxd This isn't made to say TLJ isn't dislike by people, because it is and people can be, but...
In a call with The Verge, a spokesperson said Rotten Tomatoes (which is owned by ticketing platform Fandango) has faced a new level of review-bombing over the past 18 months. She said only a few films have been seriously targeted — including Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther, two big franchise installments that implicitly or explicitly critiqued racism and sexism. But trolls are becoming a standard risk for any big movie that's considered too feminist or anti-racist, to the point that studios are actively trying to counter trolls themselves.
RT (finally) admitted that TLJ was review bombed. Not that it wasn't obvious before of course

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFA didn't have an alt-right rabid angry mob who screamed the movie was forcing feminist ideology. The alt-right scene bragged about using bot software to mass review bomb both it and Cap Marvel

It's why RT responded and changed their policy to require proof of ticket purchase.

Are you seriously trying to say that these alt-right "rabid angry mob" types didn't exist until 2017? 'cause that's bullshit. Men have ranted and rallied against movies with female leads since forever. It's what men do. They think they're special, that they have power and that women shouldn't.

The alt right crowd you're so desperate to attribute TLJ's low scores to? An insignificant part of a larger audience. 86% of 231'000 people liked The Force Awakens but only 44% of 212'000 people liked The Last Jedi.

That looks to me like The Last Jedi really is a movie that isn't quite so universally loved as some would have you believe.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously trying to say that these alt-right "rabid angry mob" types didn't exist until 2017? 'cause that's bullshit. Men have ranted and rallied against movies with female leads since forever. It's what men do. They think they're special, that they have power and that women shouldn't.

The alt right crowd you're so desperate to attribute TLJ's low scores to? An insignificant part of a larger audience. 86% of 231'000 people liked The Force Awakens but only 44% of 212'000 people liked The Last Jedi.

That looks to me like The Last Jedi really is a movie that isn't quite so universally loved as some would have you believe.
Except you know, Rotten Tomatoes themselves said it was falsely review bombed and that is why they reworked their entire user review process for movies. Which they wouldn't do if it was such a small problem as you keep insisting. Hell, they even said it was a huge problem!

If it is is so insignificant why does Watchmen have excellent critic scores and an extremely low user rating, hmm? People who earnestly dislike a critically acclaimed show in mass? Give me a break.

You are purposely ignoring the evidence right in front of you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think watchmen is being review bombed?

Because it directly shits on the alt- right... review bombing is real folks.

I never said review bombing wasn't real. As you LITERALLY JUST QUOTED, I said there was more to it than that. People who try to shrug off the audience reaction to The Last Jedi typically try to act as though the bad reviews are "fake news". Yet if that was the case and all the negative reviews for The Last Jedi are fake then why isn't The Force Awakens being "review bombed" too?

From where I'm sitting it looks like The Last Jedi really isn't the universally praised movie some people would like to pretend it is and there are legitimate criticisms towards it.