• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thought this deserved its own thread. During the QA of the earnings calls, someone brought up the Destiny divorce. Kotick was rather frank, saying not meeting expectations, tying up important development resources. Obviously, this is Activision Blizzard's perspective and Bungie may feel differently, but it was interesting Kotick mentioning this on the record.

What meets expectations these days lol.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
With Activision hitting record numbers but still "falling short of expectations" I assume they had ridiculous goals for the series and it wasn't making the profit it wanted as it ate up costs and resources.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm really glad that we still have other companies that only care about being able to pay their employees and fund their next game, rather than focus on raking in as many billions as possible. If they all had the same mindset as Activision, gaming would suck.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I guess the expectations were it would become the next Tony Hawks or a guitar Hero or COD or Skylanders.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Tying up important resouces like, uh,

"Activision Blizzard says that -- despite its "record year" -- it's laying off 8% of staff."

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm very curious to see what awesome games will Activision come up with that will finally "meet expectations".

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
It should be made clear that, as publisher, "development resources" = money. And "not meeting expectations" = you, Mr Shareholder Investor, could have made 7% return, but only made 5%.
numbers for illustration

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this deserved its own thread. During the QA of the earnings calls, someone brought up the Destiny divorce. Kotick was rather frank, saying not meeting expectations, tying up important development resources. Obviously, this is Activision Blizzard's perspective and Bungie may feel differently, but it was interesting Kotick mentioning this on the record.

What meets expectations these days lol.

Context is important here... Activision's expectations are a lot bigger than smaller publishers. They put down a massive investment for Destiny.

I wish more companies would be happy with just making enough to provide everyone with a comfortable living.

That's not what shareholders of publicly traded companies want.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed like Destiny FINANCIALLY was only going downhill and Destiny 3 would need to be a greater investment then previous titles as it would at the very least be a cross generation title and they gave it up instead of making the investment.

Cant say I blame them TBH. Destiny has its hardcore base but ultimately failed to have a larger audience. They had their shot to save face with Destiny 2 and blew it.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
How much of "not meeting expectations" was due to loot boxes, one-use shaders, mediocre expansions (the first couple, including locking content at first for those without the expansion)?
We'll never exactly know.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't think Destiny 2 met anyone's expectations in any way.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Important development resources? Does he mean the studios that Activision actually owns that were helping Bungie?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Cant really blame Activision if they think those resources are better spend on strengthening their own IPs. Next-Gen is coming.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Destiny 2 met anyone's expectations in any way.

And part of that was ironically Activision Blizzard's influence.

Bungie have a lot to prove now being independent, but let's see if they carry on acting like they were under their masters who claimed they weren't doing good enough.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how much it cost, I'm not surprised they were disappointed with the results (by which I mean revenue, not quality). They both did well compared to almost any other game, but for their investment they were probably hoping for GTAV numbers.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Bobby Kotick doesn't meet expectations. Activision doesn't meet expectations. Not Destiny, not Bungie, just the predatory management and board members.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really imply that Bungie released Destiny in its launch state and Activision studios fixed it ?

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I assume Bungie needing to delay both Destiny games impacted expectations and resources as well.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tying up resources for other projects? you mean the people you are now sacking?

Nice try, Bobby

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I assumed the multiple studios assisting Bungie with content could now go to COD or something. Not that I would ever take Activision's side on anything, but it makes me curious how much of a role Acti played in Destiny's downfall

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I mean, this sounds right. When you but down a bazillion dollars on a ten year franchise plan I would certainly hope you're expecting to make a fucklot more money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dentiny kind of... trended downwards over time?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
At launch sure! At this point in time Destiny has never been at a better place though.

This can't be said enough. They really fixed their shit with Forsaken. Many Devs get credit for turning games around and Bungie did that with Destiny. I was hard on them here too for a long time. Currently Destiny 2 is very good.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Bungie needed 2 extra studios to get content out of the door and all of it underperformed and disappointed.

So it was in fact tying up a lot of resources.

Activision "lost" Bungie, but won High Moon and Vicarious Vinsons (back).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What "own IPs"?

Outside of Blizzard, what do they have other than COD and Crash at this point?
...and you know CoD didnt have a single player portion last year - they prob. also want to make sure that they have enough ready for the next-gen launches or getting games like Spyro/Crash ready on Switch for day 1.

They have plenty of own titles they can invest into.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bobby Kotick doesn't meet expectations. Activision doesn't meet expectations. Not Destiny, not Bungie, just the predatory management and board members.
thumb_activision-am-i-out-of-touch-activision-no-its-the-12662267.png

Never the person up top's fault... always the underlings...

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This seems unbelievable to me honestly. Destiny is one of the biggest names in gaming and that's still not enough...