• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Is Diane creating Philbert to be a more vulnerable character and people enjoying it to justify their shitty behaviour a metaphor for people watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix and using that to justify their shitty behaviour?
100% definitely this. The same episode has Diane confront Bojack and she pretty much brings up every major shitty thing he has done since the show started just to reinforce the point.
Its amazing to me how many people I've seen come out of the other end of this episode thinking Diane is in the wrong for getting upset with Bojack claiming that he is a bigger victim than Penny or Sarah Lynn.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Is Diane creating Philbert to be a more vulnerable character and people enjoying it to justify their shitty behaviour a metaphor for people watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix and using that to justify their shitty behaviour?

100% definitely this. The same episode has Diane confront Bojack and she pretty much brings up every major shitty thing he has done since the show started just to reinforce the point.
Its amazing to me how many people I've seen come out of the other end of this episode thinking Diane is in the wrong for getting upset with Bojack claiming that he is a bigger victim than Penny or Sarah Lynn.

I look at as both that and
a commentary on how you get people who going on about how they relate to your Walter Whites, Don Drapers, and Rick Sanchezs as well. The whole idea of the "flawed" character getting a misguided fandom is so common it isn't even funny.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Thought it was decent. But the show feels like its spinning its wheels at this point. I feel like it needs a direction or some sort of end goal, but there isn't. So now its just gonna be us wondering what shitty thing bojacks gonna do next season. And theres not really any other core storyline.

It felt like they were building to something happening to him in seasons 2 and 3 due to his progressively worse behavior, and then maybe they we're hinting at him getting better and redeeming himself in season 4, but now it feels like its none of those things. Just seems like they intend to keep doing the show as long as its making money. I might not even check out season 6 beause its not even interesting seeing bojack do bad stuff anymore. And the storylines following princess Carolyn and diane/Mr peanut butter are getting less and less interesting too. Only one i like is Todd cause of how silly he is, but its a shame they basically didnt give him a single serious moment this season. He usually gets a few.

Its honestly starting to go back to the generic comedy i thought it was in season 1 with some generic storylines that dont go anywhere to make it a bit less episodic. Doesnt have that emotional punch or surprise it used to. No "holy fuck" moment.
Rehabs not gonna work beause theyre gonna make him do something shitty in episode 11 season 6 yet again so who gives a shit about that storyline?

That song in "showstopper" basically directly addressed my problem with the show, we want to be entertained so bojacks gotta do something bad. But its not entertaining anymore because its not going to any goal or purpose. I know real life is like that, and the song even stated it, but real life isnt fun to watch. And this is starting to not be fun either.

Oct 25, 2017
There is also more possible meta commentary hidden

Diane was talking to Bojack about how these famous men seem to just continue to fall upwards, even after falling down for a short time. We've kind of seen this with Bojack where he's becoming more and more of a celebrity again with different avenues. Meanwhile, the women just fall. That might be a meta commentary on Diane's possible death, as Bojack is basically being carried by his friends and support system to do better and become better, while Diane is left in her own misery and suffers death.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
There is also more possible meta commentary hidden

Diane was talking to Bojack about how these famous men seem to just continue to fall upwards, even after falling down for a short time. We've kind of seen this with Bojack where he's becoming more and more of a celebrity again with different avenues. Meanwhile, the women just fall. That might be a meta commentary on Diane's possible death, as Bojack is basically being carried by his friends and support system to do better and become better, while Diane is left in her own misery and suffers death.

Why do all you guys think that Diane is dead or going to die? I didn't get that at all from this season.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but if so I feel personally attacked
lmao
And even when you watch that episode
even Bojack struggles to rationalize being a bigger victim than Penny or Sarah Lynn. The way he avoids eye contact and his poor excuses really hammer it home.

I look at as both that and
a commentary on how you get people who going on about how they relate to your Walter Whites, Don Drapers, and Rick Sanchezs as well. The whole idea of the "flawed" character getting a misguided fandom is so common it isn't even funny.
Yeah! I noticed that with Breaking Bad! If you come out of that whole thing thinking that Walter White is the good guy, you've probably got some problems. Same thing with Bojack Horseman, with one key difference:

Bojack is consistently shitty throughout the series, but he is also consistently unhappy with his life. Rick Sanchez is an inventor and Walter White is a drug lord and they actively work to seek those goals, but Bojack's goal is to be happy and he consistently fucks it up in every single season.

I guess you could call him an anti-hero, but not in the way one would think.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Am I crazy in thinking this is the best role Will Arnett has ever had? I know Gob Bluth is legendary for him but his voice acting in this series is phenomenal.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I'm not far into this season (I watch 1 a day, I like to savor it, dammit!), but I don't get any of the "wheel spinning" criticisms. That makes sense when talking about dramas that set up some clear conflict or something. What are you waiting for? For Bojack to become a good person? This show has more character development than almost any other show on TV, imo.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Bojack is the good guy, but he's definitely the character I relate to the most. I see some of myself in both Bojack and Todd.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A solid series.

A lot of reviewers online have said that it retreads old ground and I'd say that's admittingly true. A lot of subplots happen just for the sake of happening, as much as I enjoy Mr Peanutbutter, Todd and Princes Carolyns stories.

But damn does it nail the main plot of the season. From everything about Philbert to the producer to Diane and Gina and the commentary. It all perfectly wraps together to really show you that Bojack is not someone you should look up to.

I feel like the randomness of the sideplots really takes away from the main story though, and that really lets it down.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
By the end of episode 3 or 4 I had a post written up about why I really dislike Diane and feel she brings the whole show down a lot.

By season close I've done a complete 180 and she was one of the most gripping characters on screen. She's great in episode 10 and 12.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't/didn't like Diane?

She's my favourite character.
Yeah, she and Todd are equally my top 2. Todd mainly because I get the sense Aaron Paul sounds like he is having a ball being such a doofus with the character.

Now I still relate with Bojack in certain respects, but I still dislike him to a certain extent (more so after this season actually) because he just keeps burying himself in more shit. But it makes the show all the more compelling at the same time.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike most everyone in the main cast. None of them are good people though some are for sure worse. Doesn't make them bad characters either and I do relate to various parts of each of them but I'm not sure I "like" any of them. Even Todd gets to me though he's by and far the most clownish and mostly there for side stories and goofy antics.

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike most everyone in the main cast. None of them are good people though some are for sure worse. Doesn't make them bad characters either and I do relate to various parts of each of them but I'm not sure I "like" any of them. Even Todd gets to me though he's by and far the most clownish and mostly there for side stories and goofy antics.

No one would be able to stand Todd in real life for more than ten minutes.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The whole season struck me as a message on how we get stuck in toxic patterns. People can't change because they either don't see their patterns very well (Mr Peanutbutter and Princess Caroline) or do and don't want to change (Bojack). The Halloween episode was the most literal depiction of this.

It's probably cliche to point out Halloween parties are places where you go to in order to be someone else, but in the end a costume still manages to be a representation of who you see yourself to be, even if it's the negative.

And so, for 25 years, Bojack is always getting shitfaced and becoming miserable, only to insist they do it all again next year.

Princess Caroline is always filling her life with work to feel useful and to make some sort of connection with those around her. Even at a party she can't get passed answering the door.

Mr Peanut Butter can't sense his own self destructive patterns in his relationships. He gets close in the 2018 party, even managing to finally synchronise his costume properly with his partner, but we know by the end of the season he's back to his doomed habits.

The only people remotely self aware are Diane, who sees herself in Pickles, and tries to help her even though she knows it's all doomed, and ironically, Todd, who realises there's toxicity in his life and stops going to the party representing the way he realised Bojack was toxic to him and cut him out of his life.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Im not really a fan of Todd, I feel like the schtick has kinda run dry, but I liked the ending to the dildobot story.

But I'd also say Diane is my favorite, she's had it pretty tough and while she can also be pretty shitty she tries really hard to do the right tbing for those around her and ends up getting walked all over.

I like Bojack but I like him as a character. I couldn't see myself being friends or wanting anything to do with him lile I could for Diane for instance. Yeah he can be relatable in that his mistakes and regrets tend to haunt him as I'm sure they do for us all (or at the very least they do for me) he constantly takes things to such an extreme that he's kind of irredeemable at this point.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
So much going on in episode 6. Such a deep dive into Bojack and how his upbringing affected him. So much deflection of emotion with humor. Damn what a great episode.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know why I found it so funny but I was dying at the Tim Allen/Ben Stein bit

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So I just finished Season 5. Loved it. I feel like the writing in the series is kind of in a class of it's own when it comes to adult cartoons.

I do wonder with Diane though

What's going to be her deal come next season? I've always had this theory/head canon that the only thing keeping her together is the fact that she is more "functional" than Bojack. Like how that scene with her therapist choosing Bojack as her patient, and Diane took that as a sign that she's completely in the clear of needing anymore therapy. I just keep getting this feeling that if Bojack were to ever clean up his life, that would be the last catalyst for Diane's downward spiral.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I just finished Season 5. Loved it. I feel like the writing in the series is kind of in a class of it's own when it comes to adult cartoons.

What's going to be her deal come next season? I've always had this theory/head canon that the only thing keeping her together is the fact that she is more "functional" than Bojack. Like how that scene with her therapist choosing Bojack as her patient, and Diane took that as a sign that she's completely in the clear of needing anymore therapy. I just keep getting this feeling that if Bojack were to ever clean up his life, that would be the last catalyst for Diane's downward spiral.
You might wanna read the spoilers on the last couple of pages about Princess Diana.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well... it's just a theory, but Diane might not be around next season.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talking about Diane possibly dying and my initial takeaway from the season ending was "Oh no, they're both going to fuck up and get together by the end of next season"

I blame the House parallels

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could somebody explain me the play on words of "Henry Fondle" I know that there is a pun somewhere

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was a nice escape, but now I'm left with my own shit and no idea how to move forward with it.

I guess I know what I have to do, I just really don't want to do it. So sitting around and feeling awful will have to work for now.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Does anyone else never skip the opening credits? It's so mesmerizing and the music is so good and I love the little changes. It just sets the tone for the show so well.

Oct 26, 2017
The opening is always fantastic.

I loved the season and am gonna do another play through of it soon. This is one of the shows I really enjoy having captions on to catch the quick jabs.

I also get the people that say they relate to Bojack, but mostly in the way of pondering regrets too much. He is leagues above what I'd imagine most people would do or get away with.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Just pure quality all the way through yet again. I don't know if I liked it more than last season. Honestly, this show is one of the few things I don't bother to rank, I just enjoy what I'm given. What I do know however is that Episode 6 is hands-down one of the best episodes in the entire show. This was also probably Diane's strongest season yet.

Can't say I agree with the wheel-spinning criticisms though, but I suppose it'd be for the best to wrap it up in one or two more seasons.

And regarding the theory:
Uh, holy fuck. I too felt that it felt weirdly anti-climatic and even a bit ominous the way she drove into the tunnel, so to hear that she might get in an accident... Yeesh.

Dunno if they'll go that route, or if I even want that, not to mention the entirely valid fridging concerns, but that is certainly something to stew over as we wait for the next season.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
The similarities between Bojack's Agent's story and Bojack's
sister's mother's story. Both working as maids for a rich, affluent family, one had a miscarriage, one gave up the child for adoption

I wonder if, at some point, they were going to be one and the same, but was turned into just being riffs off a similar theme.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For all the people talking "Princess Diane".... how would the timeline on that work exactly?? I know BoJack's a bit messed up with the order of things happening, but I thought everything after his big trip was in order.