• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Damn it, I'm only eight episodes in. So tempted to just open every single spoiler tab in this thread.

Gotta say I disagree with everyone saying they're just treading water this season. So many inventive and fun episode concepts.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Is Diane creating Philbert to be a more vulnerable character and people enjoying it to justify their shitty behaviour a metaphor for people watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix and using that to justify their shitty behaviour?
It's likely that and "flawed heroes"in general

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Diane creating Philbert to be a more vulnerable character and people enjoying it to justify their shitty behaviour a metaphor for people watching Bojack Horseman on Netflix and using that to justify their shitty behaviour?
It's almost guaranteed to be intentional, the driving force of this show is the character of Bojack who himself is that trope exemplified. It's also a very scathing commentary on the popularity of antiheroes this past decade and character-driven pieces like Breaking Bad where the creator's intent and what their fans get out of it become misaligned.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost guaranteed to be intentional, the driving force of this show is the character of Bojack who himself is that trope exemplified. It's also a very scathing commentary on the popularity of antiheroes this past decade and character-driven pieces like Breaking Bad where the creator's intent and what their fans get out of it become misaligned.

You can go further back for television. The anti-hero is basically the most consistent element of prestige television provided we start that era with The Sopranos as a lot of writers and commentators do. Think of these -

The Sopranos
The Shield
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Justified
Game of Thrones
Veep
Sons of Anarchy
Rick and Morty
House
Dexter
House of Cards
Ozark
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

These are just off the top of my head and they certainly vary in quality, but a major through line is the presence of a protagonist that is more villainous than heroic. Which is totally fine and a valid storytelling choice, except that you aren't supposed to root for those characters. It's like Fight Club - there's a right and a wrong way to watch it, and a disturbing number of people take the wrong way.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I do have a problem about s5 in terms how (in many ways) it undermines Bojack's growth during the last few seasons, especially during its second half.

Oct 25, 2017
You can go further back for television. The anti-hero is basically the most consistent element of prestige television provided we start that era with The Sopranos as a lot of writers and commentators do. Think of these -

The Sopranos
The Shield
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Justified
Game of Thrones
Veep
Sons of Anarchy
Rick and Morty
House
Dexter
House of Cards
Ozark
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

These are just off the top of my head and they certainly vary in quality, but a major through line is the presence of a protagonist that is more villainous than heroic. Which is totally fine and a valid storytelling choice, except that you aren't supposed to root for those characters. It's like Fight Club - there's a right and a wrong way to watch it, and a disturbing number of people take the wrong way.

I really don't think Justified fits as an antihero. He's an asshole, but aside from or or two events point, he's still a lawman doing good.
those two points being covering up the return of the money and letting the crime boss get killed.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that theory doesn't lead anywhere. I hope it's just a reference to the thing Bojack mentions at the end of TV series.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Justified fits as an antihero. He's an asshole, but aside from or or two events point, he's still a lawman doing good.

I almost took Justified off the list at the last minute after realizing I hadn't watched beyond when season 1 first aired, so thanks for the clarification. I left a lot off the list, mainly shows that kind of couch the behavior a bit more into the "these people are clearly wrong" (The Americans) or ones I don't have enough working knowledge of to say (How To Get Away with Murder, Scandal) or have some wiggle room (like Orange is the New Black, which aims to empathize with prisoners in order to point out that the prison system can be far worse than its inhabitants).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
those two points being covering up the return of the money and letting the crime boss get killed.
I think Rayland is a flawed hero and can be considered an anti hero

That being said he doesn't belong on the list he's still mostly in the right and going against criminals because they deserve it and while he's not unwilling to kill by far he's not the punisher

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Good season. Episode 6 was maybe the highlight for me. It's kinda like fish out of water where it's just so different to other shows in what it does and can get away with.
Sarah lynne dying was the most hard hitting episode so i think season 2 is the best so far.
#BoJackThoughts

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Good season. Episode 6 was maybe the highlight for me. It's kinda like fish out of water where it's just so different to other shows in what it does and can get away with.
Sarah lynne dying was the most hard hitting episode so i think season 2 is the best so far.
#BoJackThoughts
Sarah Lynne's death was in season 3. Season 2 was New Mexico and the Charlotte/Penny situation.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might make a topic on the discussion of Diana's point here regarding depicting shitty protagonist sympathetically. Because part of the problem is that this is somewhat out of the writers hands.

Take Walter White. For everybody that talked about what an amazing dude he was and were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at every instance except the undeniably awful (and sometimes even then), there were as many who were pushing back on that interpretation. And, clearly, the show itself went out of it's way to defeat, humiliate, scorn, and condemn him. What we ended up with is a highly complex character. When the show was airing, I often thought to myself that no one seems to incorperate the full picture of walter white. In character analysis pieces, they'd often omit something or another to make their interpretation of Walt's morality feel stronger. Honestly, though I haven't discussed anything about the new season, I felt this same thing was happening with Jimmy of Better Call Saul. In fact, it's almost worse with BCS because Jimmy's shittiness doesn't come out in extreme examples such as murder or drug dealing and instead it's dickishness and white collar crime.

Anyway, my point is, in my view, Breaking Bad didn't just prop Walt up, but tore him down, just to build him up again greater, then tear him down again. And I mean this in his status as a drug dealer, as a family man, as a human being. It was a compelling story that made him sympathetic, but did nothing to sugarcoat his monstrocity. And being this well rounded, sympathetic character is the necessary byproduct of a story that's trying to be complex and emotionally realistic. People generally don't do things that aren't justified to themselves, and Walt saying he did what he did for his family and believing it is the entry point and primary motivation for what his character would go on to do.

This is to contrast something like Jack Bauer, who does stuff like torture but is then justified because it helps save lives and the narrative supports this. In contrast to Walt, Jack Bauer's anti-heroic qualities are not so much moral quandries as they are discomforts - he doesn't WANT to torture anybody and everyone agrees it'd be a bad thing to do it just to cause pain, but the terrorist knows the identity of the 63rd mole to infiltrate the anti-terrorist place, so he NEEDS to torture the guy, and no one else wants to do it, so he's actually heroic for carrying the burden of torturing a guy on our behalf to save the innocents.

For me, that's a stark difference of what constitutes flaws and making them sympathetic....but for all that, there are people who got the same message out of this, that despite shitty qualities, guys like them are cool and even good.

And to contrast Diane's point a bit....well, yeah, the point of art is, often, not just an escape to a fantasy land, but even to let you know you're not alone. For me, Bojack Horseman is not a heroic figure, but it is a deep comfort to know that there is someone who understands depression and writes the character wiht that kind of authenticity. I don't want to be like Bojack and there is obviously no condemning some of his unforgivable actions, but if you ever had the kind of self hatred that Bojack feels for himself and have his character goal be to get himself to a place where both he and the world offer him some measure of forgiveness and peace, yeah, I want Bojack to succeed and find that peace. Maybe he doesn't deserve it, but what else am I supposed to say here? That he shouldn't find peace and spend the rest of his life in the self imposed misery that itself perpetuates the terrible shit he does?

That people look at characters like Walter White and Bojack and the rest and think "Wow, they're shitty like me, but they still get their happy ending, so..." is a problem. I just don't know how ot solve it. You can't ignore the sympathy angle without destroying what makes the core of those stories work. In fact, without sympathy, I know exactly what happens: What happened with me and Don Draper watching Mad Men. That show didn't resonate with me, and I had pretty much zero interest in Don Draper's justifications or lies or...well, story. Everyone praises Mad Men as one of the best character studies, and I don't even dispute that it might very well be that in terms of the craft of storytelling....but I do not give a fuck about Don Draper, so I stopped watching. If there is no pathos, there is no point, which makes the story all but pointless.

It's not the story that is at fault in this case, it's the audience who pay attention to the power fantasies and ego trips, but then go on to ignore the take downs. How do you fix that?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might make a topic on the discussion of Diana's point here regarding depicting shitty protagonist sympathetically. Because part of the problem is that this is somewhat out of the writers hands.

Take Walter White. For everybody that talked about what an amazing dude he was and were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at every instance except the undeniably awful (and sometimes even then), there were as many who were pushing back on that interpretation. And, clearly, the show itself went out of it's way to defeat, humiliate, scorn, and condemn him. What we ended up with is a highly complex character. When the show was airing, I often thought to myself that no one seems to incorperate the full picture of walter white. In character analysis pieces, they'd often omit something or another to make their interpretation of Walt's morality feel stronger. Honestly, though I haven't discussed anything about the new season, I felt this same thing was happening with Jimmy of Better Call Saul. In fact, it's almost worse with BCS because Jimmy's shittiness doesn't come out in extreme examples such as murder or drug dealing and instead it's dickishness and white collar crime.

Anyway, my point is, in my view, Breaking Bad didn't just prop Walt up, but tore him down, just to build him up again greater, then tear him down again. And I mean this in his status as a drug dealer, as a family man, as a human being. It was a compelling story that made him sympathetic, but did nothing to sugarcoat his monstrocity. And being this well rounded, sympathetic character is the necessary byproduct of a story that's trying to be complex and emotionally realistic. People generally don't do things that aren't justified to themselves, and Walt saying he did what he did for his family and believing it is the entry point and primary motivation for what his character would go on to do.

This is to contrast something like Jack Bauer, who does stuff like torture but is then justified because it helps save lives and the narrative supports this. In contrast to Walt, Jack Bauer's anti-heroic qualities are not so much moral quandries as they are discomforts - he doesn't WANT to torture anybody and everyone agrees it'd be a bad thing to do it just to cause pain, but the terrorist knows the identity of the 63rd mole to infiltrate the anti-terrorist place, so he NEEDS to torture the guy, and no one else wants to do it, so he's actually heroic for carrying the burden of torturing a guy on our behalf to save the innocents.

For me, that's a stark difference of what constitutes flaws and making them sympathetic....but for all that, there are people who got the same message out of this, that despite shitty qualities, guys like them are cool and even good.

And to contrast Diane's point a bit....well, yeah, the point of art is, often, not just an escape to a fantasy land, but even to let you know you're not alone. For me, Bojack Horseman is not a heroic figure, but it is a deep comfort to know that there is someone who understands depression and writes the character wiht that kind of authenticity. I don't want to be like Bojack and there is obviously no condemning some of his unforgivable actions, but if you ever had the kind of self hatred that Bojack feels for himself and have his character goal be to get himself to a place where both he and the world offer him some measure of forgiveness and peace, yeah, I want Bojack to succeed and find that peace. Maybe he doesn't deserve it, but what else am I supposed to say here? That he shouldn't find peace and spend the rest of his life in the self imposed misery that itself perpetuates the terrible shit he does?

That people look at characters like Walter White and Bojack and the rest and think "Wow, they're shitty like me, but they still get their happy ending, so..." is a problem. I just don't know how ot solve it. You can't ignore the sympathy angle without destroying what makes the core of those stories work. In fact, without sympathy, I know exactly what happens: What happened with me and Don Draper watching Mad Men. That show didn't resonate with me, and I had pretty much zero interest in Don Draper's justifications or lies or...well, story. Everyone praises Mad Men as one of the best character studies, and I don't even dispute that it might very well be that in terms of the craft of storytelling....but I do not give a fuck about Don Draper, so I stopped watching. If there is no pathos, there is no point, which makes the story all but pointless.

It's not the story that is at fault in this case, it's the audience who pay attention to the power fantasies and ego trips, but then go on to ignore the take downs. How do you fix that?

It's a great conversation that we need to tackle, and thank you for a great post about it.

I really like the comparison to 24. That show was trashy in a lot of ways but none more so than its normalization of blatantly illegal, morally repugnant, and ineffective ideas regarding torture and the like. To mix in the prestige element a little more, I'd take a look at True Detective season 1, which Bojack seems to be making some clear connections to in a few visual jokes. I think that show had a lot to say about toxic masculinity, more than it was given credit for, but I also think it resonated in a really gross way with some fans who took Cohle's abject cynicism as some sort of personal creed. That said, I think people can view the ending of that show and mostly suss out the better qualities from the worse ones.

To the point of Bojack, I do sympathize and even empathize greatly with the character (and all the others, in fact). His toxic relationship to family isn't as strong as mine, but there are elements there. His depression and addiction are far worse than any I've had, but his internal "stupid piece of shit" monologue hit hard and true. In those ways, I want him to find a more peaceful existence, one where he can contribute rather than take, and maintain healthy relationships to those around him. Because I want the same thing.

And that final point is where I think we need to discuss him, and characters like him, and ourselves less in terms of whether they or we deserve happiness and more in terms of whether it helps others for them and us to be at peace. If Bojack's actions only affected himself, then whatever. He could drink, snort, inject, and swallow anything he wants or needs and it'd be sad, but some people just cannot break the cycles they fall into, and Bojack might just be that kind of person. But, his actions have consequences beyond himself. His addiction has caused at least one death among the people around him, possibly scarred a young girl and her mother for life, ruined multiple careers, spread harmful ideas about women and others, and just becomes, as I keep referring to it, a vortex. He isn't a hermit; his actions ripple outward due to his privilege as a recognizable star.

That's the danger of someone wanting Bojack to be happy. They can lie to themselves, say I can be like Bojack for a long time with self-justification, and eventually repent and it's all golden. Except that repentance doesn't undo the damage. I think that's the point of Diane's actions later in the season plus some other plots weaved in and around.

"There's no such thing as bad guys and good guys! We're all just guys! Who do good stuff, sometimes. And bad stuff, sometimes. And all we can do is try to do less bad stuff and more good stuff. But you're never going to be good! Because you're not bad! So you need to stop using that as an excuse."

The point shouldn't be to be content with being good or bad. Bojack hit a point where he internalized that he is a villain, so he can do villainous things and it's okay because he's at least self-aware. To go to a related show, it's Jesse Pinkman telling Walt that he knows who he is, the bad guy.

As for tackling a story that requires conflict and character change (not necessarily growth), that can be handled in other ways. Bojack can keep spinning, but maybe the people around him learn from that. Reverse fridge it, without the death requirement. Diane certainly seems to have learned a lot by being in contact with Bojack, and that affects MPB through her. Princess Caroline could learn from Bojack's example. Even Todd. This is an area where I think Breaking Bad actually did pretty well by having Jesse and others see Walt's depravity and reject it. Mad Men did similarly to an extent.

Now how the audience reacts or interprets that? I don't see an answer. I'm a big proponent of reader-response theory, and the text is not the audience nor the actual text (or show, as the case may be), but the relationship between the two. The audience can only bring their lived experiences to the table and you don't really want storytellers to become too didactic per modern storytelling conventions.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6 was incredible. Very few can pull off a 20+ minute monologue in a tv show, let alone one completely voice acted.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think they go with the heavily hinted at theory. That would be too telegraphed and the show is more aware than that.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think they go with the heavily hinted at theory. That would be too telegraphed and the show is more aware than that.

Yeah while I think Diane's death would have an interesting impact on Bojack, she's always existed as a character separate from him so it would make no sense for them to kill one of their continuing character threads. It'd be the same as them killing Todd or Carolyn.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
"As to whether this season offered any meaningful steps forward for the series, I guess we'll see? The show could fall back into the same old routine or the events of the finale could be a major turning point for the series. Tune in next year to find out!" - he's said, for the last three years

Just finished it. Thought it was decent. But the show feels like its spinning its wheels at this point. I feel like it needs a direction or some sort of end goal, but there isn't. So now its just gonna be us wondering what shitty thing bojacks gonna do next season. And theres not really any other core storyline.

It felt like they were building to something happening to him in seasons 2 and 3 due to his progressively worse behavior, and then maybe they we're hinting at him getting better and redeeming himself in season 4, but now it feels like its none of those things. Just seems like they intend to keep doing the show as long as its making money. I might not even check out season 6 beause its not even interesting seeing bojack do bad stuff anymore. And the storylines following princess Carolyn and diane/Mr peanut butter are getting less and less interesting too. Only one i like is Todd cause of how silly he is, but its a shame they basically didnt give him a single serious moment this season. He usually gets a few.

Its honestly starting to go back to the generic comedy i thought it was in season 1 with some generic storylines that dont go anywhere to make it a bit less episodic. Doesnt have that emotional punch or surprise it used to. No "holy fuck" moment.
Rehabs not gonna work beause theyre gonna make him do something shitty in episode 11 season 6 yet again so who gives a shit about that storyline?

That song in "showstopper" basically directly addressed my problem with the show, we want to be entertained so bojacks gotta do something bad. But its not entertaining anymore because its not going to any goal or purpose. I know real life is like that, and the song even stated it, but real life isnt fun to watch. And this is starting to not be fun either.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly. Like the last few seasons, season 5, too, felt repetitive and water tread-y. They keep doing the same thing every season with BoJack (fucks up -> promise of change/growth? -> fucks up -> promise of change/growth? etc.) and it's grown tiresome. Nothing that happens to BoJack feels meaningful or impactful at this point because the writers are too in love with the weird misery porn loop they have him stuck in.

As for tackling a story that requires conflict and character change (not necessarily growth), that can be handled in other ways. Bojack can keep spinning, but maybe the people around him learn from that. Reverse fridge it, without the death requirement. Diane certainly seems to have learned a lot by being in contact with Bojack, and that affects MPB through her. Princess Caroline could learn from Bojack's example. Even Todd. This is an area where I think Breaking Bad actually did pretty well by having Jesse and others see Walt's depravity and reject it. Mad Men did similarly to an extent.

In that case, they need to stop centering the big moments around BoJack. BoJack can still be the main character, but maybe lets stop pretending he's going to grow/change and giving him the lion's share of emotional beats every season?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"As to whether this season offered any meaningful steps forward for the series, I guess we'll see? The show could fall back into the same old routine or the events of the finale could be a major turning point for the series. Tune in next year to find out!" - he's said, for the last three years

You summed up my thoughts perfectly. Like the last few seasons, season 5, too, felt repetitive and water tread-y. They keep doing the same thing every season with BoJack (fucks up -> promise of change/growth? -> fucks up -> promise of change/growth? etc.) and it's grown tiresome. Nothing that happens to BoJack feels meaningful or impactful at this point because the writers are too in love with the weird misery porn loop they have him stuck in.
I honestly don't think he will change, I guess it's just a mirror to a lot of people. We constantly fuck up, people hope we change, but nope we fucked up.
Bojack's monologue said it best "There are no happy endings, because there's always more show"

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched a random season 2 episode (Yes And) and they have a throw-away line about zombie dentists. Jesus, this show!

Also in watching this episode, I'd say Bojack is a lot less of a shit person than what he used to be. Still shitty, but
his big sin this season wasn't remotely on purpose and stemmed from his addiction rather than a more sober Bojack making a decision. He chose to not immediately push Penny away, he chose to go on the bender with Sarah Lynn, and he made progress in season 4 with Hollyhock. And he was willing to dragged through the mud for the strangling (albeit for selfish reasons), but he respected Gina's wishes and did what she wanted him to do in the interview.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i dont get the complaints about the show being repetitive. Bojack has had a lot of character development. If youve ever been or interacted with a person like bojack you know that a change in character is not a linear process. There are ups and downs along the way which some people never escape.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I watched a random season 2 episode (Yes And) and they have a throw-away line about zombie dentists. Jesus, this show! [/spoiler]

Diane in a 2009 flash back this season mentions she doesn't like parties or surprises, and he says he'll remember that.

But if you remember the big fight she had with Mr Peanutbutter back in season 2...

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah i dont get the complaints about the show being repetitive. Bojack has had a lot of character development. If youve ever been or interacted with a person like bojack you know that a change in character is not a linear process. There are ups and downs along the way which some people never escape.

Yeah that's why the show has felt fresh to me this whole time. Bojack isn't sprinting to the finish line; but overall it does feel like he's making progress to me from my experience with other problematic people. I'll wait till next season to say for sure, but I think we'll see bigger progress from Bojack next season. Not that I expect him to completely change either. If they really want to surprise us, maybe make another character responsible for a huge dramatic moment in s06e11 like MPB or Diane that affects somehow affects Bojack.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think all shows need an ending and wouldn't mind if season 6 was the last season. Hell, if they had changed some things around to make it more climactic, they could have made THIS season the final one.

But honestly, if you want to see the strides Bojack has made, you only need to watch a few episodes of season 1 where he is far meaner towards his friends, always talked around his problems, and made no effort to improve. Bojack is a very destructive individual, but you can see in so many ways how he has improved. Consider his interaction with Diane during her divorce fallout episode. They get drunk and Diane suggests they could make out, which he immediately shuts down. Season 1 or 2 Bojack would have never done that.

Also consider that the start of the season has him actively trying to cut down on his drinking, by himself. It doesn't work, but he's not just acknowledged the problem AND he is trying to fix it. He's failing because he can't self modulate, like most addicts, but it's an attempt.

On the other hand, some scars are never going to go away. Look at Hollyhock in how she enters the episode she's in and how she leaves. When she arrives from the airport, Bojack believes her story about the flight making a stop in LA because it's more believable than the idea that Hollyhock would want to see him again, and clearly waits for a hug when she meets him for the first time in a while, which Bojack doesn't even notice because that's not normal behavior for him. And when she is leaving, she says she loves him and again waits for a hug, but it never comes. Intimacy and affection just don't come naturally to him and this isn't him being mean or inconsiderate, it just literally does not occur that his sister wants a hug from him.

Bojack's character isn't spinning in circles or anything like that, but the problems he has are just THAT deep rooted.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix autoQing the next episode with that 4 second window to stop it is a diservice for this show.

The way so many episodes end, I think its important to sit in that ending credit music just a little bit to digest.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Started watching recently, it's a good show but I have very strange feelings about it. It's very dark and makes me feel bad, but I can't stop because I'm morbidly curious about how deep the void goes.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the script for Season 6 is not set so who knows what the writers go with. I would hope they don't kill Diane - the show has always been dark and about subverting expectations, but it would be such a depressingly unsatisfactory end to her arc. Diane did not have a good Season 5.

Bojack has evolved massively over the show. I need to rewatch from Season 1, but there were so many instances this season S1 Bojack would have completely gone off the rails. Even with Hollyhock, I think Bojack knew what he should do; he just couldn't quite bring himself to do it. S1 Bojack would have handled those same interactions in a much more destructive fashion. At the end of this season, he is finally open to trying to talk about his demons with someone. It's a huge step, whether or not it fails.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the allegation that Bojack never changes stands up to scrutiny at all. Yeah, he's fucking up and backsliding all the while, but compare any given early series 5 episode to the start of the series, and it's not even close.

At the start of this series, he's doing a job he doesn't enjoy for Princess Carolyn's sake, he's holding down a steady relationship with Gina, who he attempts to help out with her career, he's cutting down on his drinking, he legitimately recognizes Diane's concerns about the show and brings her on board to help correct them... Although he's still not a 100% great guy, his major flaws this season are down to his dependence upon the pills, which really isn't something he brought upon himself, and he takes the unprecedented step of actively asking for help.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the season last night. I feel like Scarlett Johansson's publicist after watching a test screening of Ghost in the Shell.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else never skip the opening credits? It's so mesmerizing and the music is so good and I love the little changes. It just sets the tone for the show so well.

Never. It's weird and really gets me in the right mood. Same with the ending credits, though I wish they'd play for longer than just 5 seconds. Back in the nineties, I was in a very famous teevee shoooooow...

Anyway, just finished season 5 and I thought it was very good, but I don't think it's gonna reach the heights of the last three seasons for me. I wasn't really feeling the whole Bojack + Gina thing, and Gina in general.

Hard to really say right away, and hard to say a lot about it without sleeping on it for a bit. I'll probably end up rewatching the show again in a few months, so I guess I'll see then.

Episode 6 was fucking amazing though, for sure.

Nov 1, 2017
I still think it's crazy some of y'all are treating the Diane theory like it was heavily telegraphed. It's a fringe theory at best.

I don't have a problem with Bojack regressing because the whole point of the show is that change is hard and gradual.

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix autoQing the next episode with that 4 second window to stop it is a diservice for this show.

The way so many episodes end, I think its important to sit in that ending credit music just a little bit to digest.

I finished the last 5 episodes last night and this was really pissing me off; I totally agree and I like the ending credits song.

Really good season but I do hope they wrap it up in the next season or two.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else never skip the opening credits? It's so mesmerizing and the music is so good and I love the little changes. It just sets the tone for the show so well.

I personally rarely skip openings in shows, but Bojack in particular is one you should never due to the dynamic Opening animation.

In the Bobo episode i just knew they were going to do it and they did!

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished last night. Amazing show keeps being amazing. I thought it started a bit slow but god damn those last few episodes hit hard.

I look forward to that Trumpet(?) riff as Bojack falls into the pool during the opening way too much. Why is it so good? And why does it fit the show so perfectly? The 'skip intro' even being an option offends me.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely do not skip the credits, especially important on S5E7.

Also, Free Churro was the most amazing piece of television I've seen since the depression episode last season. I don't watch much TV though.